Thread: Map idea, suggestion for altering class abilities, request for more communication

Map idea, suggestion for altering class abilities, request for more communication

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    21

    Map idea, suggestion for altering class abilities, request for more communication

    MAP IDEA
    I've recently dove back into Soul Reaver 2, as up until now I had ventured only a few feet out of the Sarafan Stronghold. In the game Raziel obtains variations of the Wraith Soul Reaver by gaining access to elemental forges. I quite liked the theme of the level that housed the Light forge (primarily because I could see what the happy hell I was doing). I was wondering if this could be used as inspiration for a map. I'm skeptical about the idea as these areas were sealed and one could only gain entrance by using the Soul Reaver, but one could assume that one of these barriers were destroyed and became another battle ground. Those more familiar with the lore should verify if this is plausible or not. I'll leave images of the area in question below.





    CLASS ABILITIES
    Nothing knew here really. Just re-suggesting the idea that the Tyrant should be able to aim his throws and that the Sentinel should be able to hover. I know that none of the vampires have a middle mouse ability, so the Sentinel's ability to hover in the air could be bound by default to the middle mouse button. Another Idea I saw was allowing the Deceiver to control ghouls via dominate mind. I'm feeling rather lazy right now, so I won't go into detail with this idea. Just think about before you disregard it. Seriously, I'll know if you thought about it or not so don't leave a comment debunking the idea when you've only considered it for a brief moment. Last item on this subject is a tyrant tank ability. Something similar to Ignore Pain but with significantly reduced defense. What you gain is the ability to attack. I really want to see these implemented.

    MORE COMMUNICATION
    Really, this could be very easy. Implement a notifcation system, similar to G+. If someone looks at your thread you'll receive a notification. This means we would know when an idea we proposed has been seen by a developer. Also, the state of plays are too few and far between. The most recent one revealed ONE new piece of information. That piece was the skins. Those add very little to the game. Bi-weekly state of plays would keep us informed on what they are doing or plan to do. Lastly, more dev streams. A Q&A type deal. Simple as that.

    Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment with additions to my suggestions.
    Last edited by Izumi_Shinichi; 7th May 2015 at 16:31. Reason: Forgot to include pictures

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by Izumi_Shinichi
    Seriously, I'll know if you thought about it or not so don't leave a comment debunking the idea when you've only considered it for a brief moment
    This isn't a kindergarten class so you can calm that nonsense down. If someone doesn't like your idea, they don't like it. You can cry that they didn't think about it, or accept that feedback is negative sometimes.

    Reducing defense is the very opposite of a tank ability. And people who prefer damage output over damage soaking have Enrage. Pick one playstyle, don't request pandering to indecision.


    The Deceiver controlling ghouls is a complete waste of a cooldown (seriously, you could attack ALONGSIDE the ghouls so quit standing around playing puppeteer) and would require too much pausing to coordinate with the Summoner. Also the ghouls are spectral constructs. They have no proper mind to dominate.

    Sentinel hovering is a good idea. And while I barely recall the forges (save the dark one, where I got glitch-trapped inside), I'm sure they would make nice maps.

    And the recent State of Play talked about much more than skins...
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 6th May 2015 at 18:17.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    21
    Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    This isn't a kindergarten class so you can calm that nonsense down. If someone doesn't like your idea, they don't like it. You can cry that they didn't think about it, or accept that feedback is negative sometimes.

    Reducing defense is the very opposite of a tank ability. And people who prefer damage output over damage soaking have Enrage. Pick one playstyle, don't request pandering to indecision.


    The Deceiver controlling ghouls is a complete waste of a cooldown (seriously, you could attack ALONGSIDE the ghouls so quit standing around playing puppeteer) and would require too much pausing to coordinate with the Summoner. Also the ghouls are spectral constructs. They have no proper mind to dominate.

    Sentinel hovering is a good idea. And while I barely recall the forges (save the dark one, where I got glitch-trapped inside), I'm sure they would make nice maps.

    And the recent State of Play talked about much more than skins...
    I'm aware the state of play talked about much more than skins. As matter of fact, I MYSELF LISTED WHAT WAS MENTIONED. But the skins were the only NEW thing mentioned. We knew that crafting and ranked were in the works for awhile now. Not all that exciting. Also, you shouldn't have mentioned the DM ghouls. You clearly didn't think about more than "CONTROL DA GHOUL AND ATTACK DA HOOMANS!". Fortunately for you I feel like elaborating on what it is the ghouls could do. You could probably add more mechanics to them then just mindlessly left clicking on the enemy. They could be used to recover bodies. I've often been left in situations where a single stray bolt, bullet, or grenade could end me. Obviously, I can't really risk going in to grab a body with such a measly health pool. So, Instead of risking myself, I control the mind of a recently summoned ghoul and have it grab the body and carry it to safety. These ghouls could also be used for scouting. When new players get crushed as humans they often hide. Typically, a lone vamp will come across a small cluster of humans and just get decimated because of the unfortunate coincidence. Ghouls are expendable and thus would work well with a scouting mechanic. Honestly, the developers could just use these ideas and make variations of the current ghoul instead of implementing what I suggested. Having an ability that reduce damage taken but allows one to an attack is not catering to the fickle few who can't decide between enrage and IP. It allows for a mid way point between the two. Tyrant, as is, is pretty . I don't initiate with him unless the enemy team is garbage. I leave that role to the deceiver. With this ability the tyrant would be a viable opener class. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ability I suggested. Plus, you seem to be confused (which doesn't really surprise me). The ability GIVES DEFENSE, but not as much as IP. In exchange for this lesser IP ability you get to attack. Apologies for the condescending nature of this post but I explicitly said don't mention something unless you seriously considered it and you completely disregarded that. If the moderators what to they can edit accordingly.

    I've added the pictures. Let there be much rejoicing.

    Just wondering, can we see the Sarafan Stronghold in this timeperiod? Definitely my favorite area in Soul Reaver 2 and has, in my opinion, the best sound track. On that note, I'd like to hear map specific music. I don't care for Nosgoth's soundtrack and often opt for the LoK OSTs I have on file.
    Last edited by Lord_Aevum; 7th May 2015 at 17:24. Reason: merging consecutive posts

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,526
    Make the first of these the darkness forge, as part of invading the clan territory of the Rahabim.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Izumi_Shinichi
    Also, you shouldn't have mentioned the DM ghouls.

    Having an ability that reduce damage taken but allows one to an attack is not catering to the fickle few who can't decide between enrage and IP. It allows for a mid way point between the two.

    Apologies for the condescending nature of this post but I explicitly said don't mention something unless you seriously considered it and you completely disregarded that.

    Just wondering, can we see the Sarafan Stronghold in this timeperiod? Definitely my favorite area in Soul Reaver 2 and has, in my opinion, the best sound track. On that note, I'd like to hear map specific music. I don't care for Nosgoth's soundtrack and often opt for the LoK OSTs I have on file.
    1) Need a corpse? Man up and go drag one away, or wait for regen to kick in. That's why it's there. Need to scout the area? Sentinels are literally the scouting force of vampires on top of the numerous high buildings from which any vampire may scan large sections of the map. And don't presume to tell me which pieces of your post I can address. You aren't important enough to make that call.

    2) Giving players who can't choose between options a midway between those options is the very definition of catering to their indecision.

    3) If you're going to consciously and deliberately choose to be condescending, spare the apologies. Now you're just condescending while also lacking the conviction to stand by your choice. And that's just sad.

    3b) If you were actually sorry, there's a backspace key for a reason. Lying only makes you look worse.

    3c) If you can't handle feedback that isn't instant praise without the aforementioned condescension, you shouldn't be online.

    4) The Sarafan themselves are long dead, a point of which I am constantly reminded when bringing them up at all. But ruins might well exist. It's only been a thousand years or so, and the Sanctuary of the Clans stood solid enough after 500.

    5) Maps definitely need specific (and amazing) music. Agreed.


    @Gen: Isn't that forge in the middle of the Termogent Forest/Swamp? It's been a long time since the Drowned Abbey but I don't recall it being in that area...
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 8th May 2015 at 03:24.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Izumi_Shinichi
    tyrant tank ability.
    Probably add third skill (to ip and enrage) sounds like active hate = IP + 2-3 seconds of concentration of humans sights on tyrant (radius 600-700, cd 20-25)
    Last edited by senjuj; 8th May 2015 at 03:59.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,526
    Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    1)
    @Gen: Isn't that forge in the middle of the Termogent Forest/Swamp? It's been a long time since the Drowned Abbey but I don't recall it being in that area...
    Yeah but I kinda like Vampmaster's idea of them living in the swamps while they work to develop their immunity to water in this era; and living close to New Orleans, I kinda like the thought of a bayou themed map.
    Last edited by GenFeelGood; 8th May 2015 at 04:16.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    1) Need a corpse? Man up and go drag one away, or wait for regen to kick in. That's why it's there. Need to scout the area? Sentinels are literally the scouting force of vampires on top of the numerous high buildings from which any vampire may scan large sections of the map. And don't presume to tell me which pieces of your post I can address. You aren't important enough to make that call.

    2) Giving players who can't choose between options a midway between those options is the very definition of catering to their indecision.

    3) If you're going to consciously and deliberately choose to be condescending, spare the apologies. Now you're just condescending while also lacking the conviction to stand by your choice. And that's just sad.

    3b) If you were actually sorry, there's a backspace key for a reason. Lying only makes you look worse.

    3c) If you can't handle feedback that isn't instant praise without the aforementioned condescension, you shouldn't be online.

    4) The Sarafan themselves are long dead, a point of which I am constantly reminded when bringing them up at all. But ruins might well exist. It's only been a thousand years or so, and the Sanctuary of the Clans stood solid enough after 500.

    5) Maps definitely need specific (and amazing) music. Agreed.


    @Gen: Isn't that forge in the middle of the Termogent Forest/Swamp? It's been a long time since the Drowned Abbey but I don't recall it being in that area...
    There's strong suspision that the Rahabim didn't always live in the abbey (Turelim statues) and the EG even mentions it was originally built as a sanctuary against the vampire menace. Plus is all the major bodies or water were connected by canals or caves, the Rahabim would have a great way to get from place to place. I wouldn't put it past the vampires to try to construct something like that.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 8th May 2015 at 16:11.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Heathrow, London
    Posts
    758
    First off, please keep it civil guys.

    Now for the main thrust of the thread, I'm not overly fond of the idea of including previous locations just for the sake of it; especially since we know a world dominating empire and centuries of time have breezed their way through since. A lot could (and should) have changed in that time - just look at how names, landscapes etc have changed in a few centuries in the real world.

    For me the Sarafan Stronghold would fall foul of this - it's already ruined and falling apart in the post-blood omen era. There seems little reason for it to be rebuilt. There may be ruins but I can only see those as abandoned.

    The forges (first pic is the Air Forge btw) were specifically supposed to be long sealed forgotten history and their significance is cheapened if anyone could just wander in and learn everything. You could possibly feature the collapsed façades of maybe the air and the dark forges at a push, but they really shouldn't be accessible.I wouldn't mind the idea of a map in the former Swamp or Termogent Forest area per se but I'm not sure there would necessarily be swamp there now.

    And yeah the details given about the Drowned Abbey suggest it may have been conquered by the Rahabim at some point, though where they originally were is not altogether clear.
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Bazielim
    First off, please keep it civil guys.

    Now for the main thrust of the thread, I'm not overly fond of the idea of including previous locations just for the sake of it; especially since we know a world dominating empire and centuries of time have breezed their way through since. A lot could (and should) have changed in that time - just look at how names, landscapes etc have changed in a few centuries in the real world.

    For me the Sarafan Stronghold would fall foul of this - it's already ruined and falling apart in the post-blood omen era. There seems little reason for it to be rebuilt. There may be ruins but I can only see those as abandoned.

    The forges (first pic is the Air Forge btw) were specifically supposed to be long sealed forgotten history and their significance is cheapened if anyone could just wander in and learn everything. You could possibly feature the collapsed façades of maybe the air and the dark forges at a push, but they really shouldn't be accessible.I wouldn't mind the idea of a map in the former Swamp or Termogent Forest area per se but I'm not sure there would necessarily be swamp there now.

    And yeah the details given about the Drowned Abbey suggest it may have been conquered by the Rahabim at some point, though where they originally were is not altogether clear.
    The swamp is just water. Plenty of that still around, but any vegetation should be dead. The reason I've suggested that areas a few times is that we need an example of now Nosgoth is dying and a dead Termogent forest would make a good contrast to the places in the hinterlands such as Freeport that haven't quite perished yet.

    Maybe something like this?
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    21
    Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    1) Need a corpse? Man up and go drag one away, or wait for regen to kick in. That's why it's there. Need to scout the area? Sentinels are literally the scouting force of vampires on top of the numerous high buildings from which any vampire may scan large sections of the map. And don't presume to tell me which pieces of your post I can address. You aren't important enough to make that call.

    2) Giving players who can't choose between options a midway between those options is the very definition of catering to their indecision.

    3) If you're going to consciously and deliberately choose to be condescending, spare the apologies. Now you're just condescending while also lacking the conviction to stand by your choice. And that's just sad.

    3b) If you were actually sorry, there's a backspace key for a reason. Lying only makes you look worse.

    3c) If you can't handle feedback that isn't instant praise without the aforementioned condescension, you shouldn't be online.

    4) The Sarafan themselves are long dead, a point of which I am constantly reminded when bringing them up at all. But ruins might well exist. It's only been a thousand years or so, and the Sanctuary of the Clans stood solid enough after 500.

    5) Maps definitely need specific (and amazing) music. Agreed.


    @Gen: Isn't that forge in the middle of the Termogent Forest/Swamp? It's been a long time since the Drowned Abbey but I don't recall it being in that area...
    Just because the ability doesn't excel in offensive or defensive tactics DOESN'T MEAN IT CATERS TO INDECISION. People who would want this aren't thinking "What should I do? Offense or defense? I have no idea. If only there were an ability that let me remain indecisive." They probably just aren't too fond of either ability and want something that lets them soak up a bit of damage while still being able to dish it out. I don't understand why you keep going back to them being confused as to what they want their playstyle. The well rounded set up is a perfectly viable option and isn't meant to be a "You don't know what the you want so pick this and stop worrying about it." I often pick this style of play over others because I preferred being well rounded over being absurdly powerful in one area while lacking in another. Even is someone is unsure of what they want and decide to go with the middle ground in what way is that a bad thing? Your argument as to why this idea for a Tyrant ability shouldn't be realized in future patches is extremely flawed and you should just stop trying to use it as an argument. I've been in several situations where my health regeneration will not kick in and anyone could one shot me. That being said, I can not "Man up" and grab a body. Especially if it lies in the middle of a group of humans or there is a fight going on near it. I'm well aware that Sentinel can act as scouts for the vampires but only fools choose to use them this way. In a match with good humans you're liable to lose a lot of health in the brief moment you swoop by them. This is even more true if there is a scout. All vampires should stay hidden until they are ready to engage. And even if the Sentinel decides to scout, they won't see the humans if they are hiding in a building. That unsavory discovery will be left to whatever poor bastard on the ground accidentally bumps into them alone.

    Originally Posted by Bazielim
    The forges (first pic is the Air Forge btw) were specifically supposed to be long sealed forgotten history and their significance is cheapened if anyone could just wander in and learn everything. You could possibly feature the collapsed façades of maybe the air and the dark forges at a push, but they really shouldn't be accessible.I wouldn't mind the idea of a map in the former Swamp or Termogent Forest area per se but I'm not sure there would necessarily be swamp there now.

    And yeah the details given about the Drowned Abbey suggest it may have been conquered by the Rahabim at some point, though where they originally were is not altogether clear.
    The temple like structures that house the elemental forges all look very similar, excluding the dark forge. So when I google searched images for the light forge it was easy for me to mix the two up.
    Last edited by Bazielim; 8th May 2015 at 21:23. Reason: double posting - please use the 'edit' function, thanks