Page 4 of 4 First First 1234

Thread: DX:MD @ E3 & TWITCH Channel / Gameplay Demos / Articles / Interviews

DX:MD @ E3 & TWITCH Channel / Gameplay Demos / Articles / Interviews

You don't like detail and atmosphere, 68_pie?
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I find it amusing that you were impressed by the "detail and atmosphere" in HR.

I'm amused by your amusement. I never said anything like that.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Lady_Of_The_Vine
    As long as the same level of detail and atmosphere is maintained then any colour will do.
    Which suggests that you thought the detail and atmosphere was good.

'Good' and 'impressive' are different words with different definitions.
    I'm explaining that the colour palette (of any game, in fact) is the least of my concerns compared to detail and atmosphere. A game can be in black and white and still be incredibly powerful if done well. Where I say "the same level", I mean that I expect MD's detail and atmosphere to be at least as good as HR's was, obviously.
    signature image

'Good' and 'impressive' are different words with different definitions.
    *shrug*

I'm explaining that the colour palette (of any game, in fact) is the least of my concerns compared to detail and atmosphere.
    Fair enough. I found it ugly, distracting and affected the atmosphere negatively.

How would it have to be for it to be a problem for you?

if done well.
    Well yeah, that's kinda the issue at hand.

I mean that I expect MD's detail and atmosphere to be at least as good as HR's was, obviously.
    So...not very? YMMV, I guess.

"Atmospheric"

The game didn't even have dynamic lighting, hell I barely remember a single static shadow cast.
    There's nothing more effective at providing atmosphere than simulation design (even when mixed with fantasy or futuristic themes), because immersion and atmosphere go hand-in-hand. The fact that I find System Shock 2 & Arx Fatalis far more atmospheric and immersive than DX:HR despite being ancient in engine terms in comparison says a lot. Whilst I won't deny HR could still be atmospheric and part of that was due to the piss theme, it is a far cry from the levels of atmosphere & immersion they could have attained should they have took a different, more Looking Glass approach to design.

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    Fair enough. I found it ugly, distracting and affected the atmosphere negatively.
    How would it have to be for it to be a problem for you?
    Well we all like/dislike different things. I can't say I found the black and gold to be ugly or distracting in any way.
    Umm, I can imagine a neon pink and green palette might prove distracting for a game like DX, hehe. But as for the black and gold colour - no, not a distraction at all.

Well yeah, that's kinda the issue at hand.
    For you, sure. I find that HR was a game done well and I enjoyed playing it. Could it have been better? Of course. I've never ever said HR is a masterpiece. There are things to like as well as dislike for each and every one of us.

So...not very? YMMV, I guess.
    I said I expect MD to be at least as good as HR; meaning I don't expect it to be inferior to HD, obviously. I'm not saying I don't expect it to be better - who wouldn't wish for that?

Originally Posted by CyberP
    "Atmospheric"
    The game didn't even have dynamic lighting, hell I barely remember a single static shadow cast.
    There's nothing more effective at providing atmosphere than simulation design (even when mixed with fantasy or futuristic themes), because immersion and atmosphere go hand-in-hand. The fact that I find System Shock 2 & Arx Fatalis far more atmospheric and immersive than DX:HR despite being ancient in engine terms in comparison says a lot. Whilst I won't deny HR could still be atmospheric and part of that was due to the piss theme, it is a far cry from the levels of atmosphere & immersion they could have attained should they have took a different, more Looking Glass approach to design.
    You're preaching to the choir. Some of the original games (DX and Thief, for example) still hold the No.1 spot on my list of fave games of all time. For me, they are miles ahead in terms of overall immersion and atmosphere but, as agreed, HR could still be atmospheric and that was my point. That said, my contribution to this discussion isn't comparing HR with the previous games (we already have other threads for that) - I'm just stating that the detail and atmosphere for the current game is more relevant to me than the colour palette. That's it.
    signature image

RPS - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: An Interview About Jensen 2.0
    Deus Ex meets District 9″ is how the company described Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site] during a demo I attended at E3.

Set two years after Human Revolution, Mankind Divided showcases a society still deeply fearful after the Aug Incident where mechanically augmented people turned violent, stripped of self-control after a signal deliberately interfered with their in-built bio-chips. The scale of the incident means augmentations are now viewed with suspicion and augmented people treated as outcasts. Adam Jensen himself is working as a counter-terrorist agent fighting some of the resultant crime. Well. That’s his day job. He secretly believes the task force was set up by the Illuminti for a different purpose and is working to take them down.
    signature image

Pff Eidos Montreal wishes it was capable of the level of subtlety and art of District 9.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

District 9 left me quite disappointed. But I really don't know what that comparison was meant to tell me anyway. Clues, anyone?

You know, augs in MD are segregated and oppressed like the prawns in D9. Prepare you hankies for the biggest tearjerker of 2016.
    Why contain it?
    signature image

Originally Posted by besyuziki
    Prepare you hankies for the biggest tearjerker of 2016.
    Discrimination is a human disease, we won't find a cure if we just cry about it.
    signature image

Originally Posted by SageSavage
    District 9 left me quite disappointed. But I really don't know what that comparison was meant to tell me anyway. Clues, anyone?
    That they'll really hammer home the Apartheid theme in MD. Think sledgehammer to the knee. I mean, District 9 wasn't exactly a beacon of subtlety and HR didn't leave you guessing as to the theme.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

More on theme here

“It’s one of the things I’m constantly telling the writers on the team is that you can’t write dialogues that are judging, you can’t come up with choices where you’re slapping people in the face for their moral decisions.

“You have to present them in as neutral of a way as possible to enable players to feel that and interpret it in their own way. Obviously, there will be people who are super sensitive to those sorts of things, and we recognize that, and we feel bad when we offend someone but we are trying to be as truthful and as honest as we possibly can.

“We’re not trying to be preachy here, just holding up the mirror. And that’s one of the things about science fiction: it embraces concepts that are hard for society to see.”
    signature image

Originally Posted by Irate_Iguana
    That they'll really hammer home the Apartheid theme in MD. Think sledgehammer to the knee. I mean, District 9 wasn't exactly a beacon of subtlety and HR didn't leave you guessing as to the theme.
    To me, that really was one of the main issues with DXHR. The credibility of its game world suffered greatly from making the aug-question so omni-present.

Originally Posted by SageSavage
    To me, that really was one of the main issues with DXHR. The credibility of its game world suffered greatly from making the aug-question so omni-present.
    My biggest problem with that was that it didn't even go anywhere. It was only halfheartedly presented. There were some throwaway comments here and there and I can think of only two quests that deal with the topic. Both could have been expanded and handled better.

Wayne Haas and Jensen and the Mexicantown Massacre is really the first quest that deals with the aug question. Shooting or not shooting a kid with probably the ability to chuck a refrigerator the length of a football pitch? The problem is that the game almost outright says that Adam was in the right. It isn't left ambiguous. Our protagonist has to have done the right thing and Haas was in the wrong.

The second one is Michael Zelazny. His black ops team found out they were turned into living drones when it suited their employers. He just casually mentions that the hub is now turned off and they are fine. How can he ever trust his own actions, or those of other people, again? How is he certain that he isn't still being manipulated? It just kinda gets glossed over.

Now that I'm typing these examples I can actually think of a third one. Brent Radford when he is found bleeding to death. He is in a similar situation that Adam was in at the start of the game. Dying and his only hope being massive augmentations. Except Adam, famously, never asked for his augmentations. You have to convince Radford that he has to ask for augmentations. The arguments Radford and Jensen give are pretty . It boils down to "it isn't natural". They miss talking about what makes a person. How far can you take The ship of Theseus on a person?

I know in these examples the player himself can think about them. I would just have liked the game to give the player a bit more to think about than the absolute bare minimum.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is ditching the Renaissance for an Apartheid feel
    What’s it going to be like, living in a world of post-humanism? It’s not so much science fiction these days, as it is science fact as we move closer and closer to creating technologies that can augment our fleshy and frail bodies.
    signature image

Interview: Eidos-Montréal’s Patrick Fortier on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Stevivor recently had an opportunity at E3 to sit down with Patrick Fortier, Gameplay Director on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to check in on how the project is shaping up.
    signature image

This is the August 7th Twitch stream DXTV questions and stuff.

New Game + is in.
    Customization for the HUD (to a point at least) is in. Including removing the augmented ammo count.
    Voice actor for Jensen's Interpol boss is Vernon Wells (Blow off some steam, Bennett)

And of course, JFD having a really french accent.

It's Wez!

Wow, I just realised, after all those years, that Wez and Bennett are the same actor!
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by vallux
    This is the August 7th Twitch stream DXTV questions and stuff.
    Thanks for that.

That don't say anything about what the NG+ actually entails. What does Adam get to keep from a previous game? Weapons? Upgrades? Praxis?

I'm kinda sad to see that they're still keeping the retarded XP system that rewards points for taking out people. Sneaking past someone will still be dumb from a munchkin point of view. Why would I let those chunks of XP stay conscious when there is no XP or gameplay bonus for letting them be?

I like that the inventory tetris is coming back. At least one part of the game that forces you to choose instead of keeping it all.

We'll see how the talk about choices will manifest itself in the final game.

Gamesided - DX:MD Exclusive Interview with Olivier Proulx
    After seeing the E3 demo in action, GameSided interviewed seasoned Eidos Montreal producer Olivier Proulx and discussed MD's narrative focus, player choice, and consequences. Blurring the line between game and film narrative, Eidos Montreal plans to give next-gen console and PC owners a title to be hyped up about.
    signature image

Tuesday, October 6th at 9.00 PDT / 12.00 EDT / 18.00 CST

Join us tomorrow on http://twitch.tv/deusex for a 1-hour DXTV program!
    We'll have new info on DX:MD & more
    signature image

Page 4 of 4 First First 1234