Thread: DX:MD @ E3 & TWITCH Channel / Gameplay Demos / Articles / Interviews

DX:MD @ E3 & TWITCH Channel / Gameplay Demos / Articles / Interviews

Not much information revealed but none of the team can say much in any case.
    Having said that, its always a pleasure to hear from the team and my fave interviews are usually with Ms DeMarle or JJB.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I wish Mary DeMerle was not working on this game. Or any game for that matter.

What a strange wish.
    I mean... I understand people have different tastes and all that, but I can't say I find her writing to be so below standard that I would wish her career to be instantly over.
    signature image

Originally Posted by 68_pie
    I wish Mary DeMerle was not working on this game. Or any game for that matter.
    i still wish Cunningham would make the neuromancer movie; but after my altercation with the tooth fairy, it's crystal clear - we both won't get what we want...
    signature image

I'm no fan of HR's writing/overall plot but it wasn't a terrible effort. Much like the gameplay, the art, the music, every aspect had its merits, but they had better upped their game this time around...sadly, it is not looking likely on the gameplay front, but we'll see. The toned down piss theme is a win though.
    Last edited by CyberP; 29th Jun 2015 at 15:49.

Originally Posted by CyberP
    The toned down piss theme is a win though.
    I don't know. HR came out in 2011 so the piss filter counts as a nostalgic element. It just won't be the same without it. You'll have to pee on your monitor to get that old HR feeling back.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

I'm no fan of HR's writing/overall plot but it wasn't a terrible effort...
    Exactly.
    signature image

There were quite a few interviews done at E3 with different members of the team, here are some of them:

Polygon also has a written interview with Patrick Fortier (Gameplay Director) - http://www.polygon.com/features/2015...interview-demo

Can anyone tell me if anything interesting is said in any of them? Thanks

Only YOU can determine what is interesting... to you.
    So get reading, lazybones.

__

Latest article from E3

By now you should have already seen the awfully impressive Deus Ex: Mankind Divided E3 demo from this year’s show, right? It’s bloody aces, but admittedly, there’s a lot going on in that 25-minute demo, so much so that it’d be easy to miss things. Enter us from stage left to save the day (again), to bring you ten things you really need to know about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided after our experiences with it at E3 and having the chance to speak to the Eidos Montreal dev team while out at the show. There’s a lot to take in and absorb, so strap yourselves in, it’s going to be a fun ride!

E3 2015: 10 Things You Need To Know About Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Choice and consequence will play a bigger part this time around
    More tools for stealth players in Mankind Divided
    You’ll now be able to use your powers more often
    Your carnage will be visible for all to see… even guards
    Advanced hacking
    More gadgets and skills
    You can finish the game without killing anyone
    No boss fights.
    signature image

That was well over an hour worth of video that you posted. It's ridiculous to expect somebody, especially somebody who has already been burned by the company, to watch over an hour's worth of interviews that likely all parrot the exact same information. It's not difficult to figure out what people would consider interesting.

"More tools for stealth players" actually means "more augmentations to make stealth easy."
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

It's more ridiculous for you to think that I expect anyone to do anything they do not wish to do... apart from respect the ToU, of course.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Shralla
    That was well over an hour worth of video that you posted. It's ridiculous to expect somebody, especially somebody who has already been burned by the company, to watch over an hour's worth of interviews that likely all parrot the exact same information. It's not difficult to figure out what people would consider interesting.
    I'll watch all but the first. I'm not suffering through an interview given solely by Dugas.

I do lament the fact that it is almost all video interviews these days. It's very easy for those doing the interviewing, but extremely irritating for the audience. Reading is faster, cuts down on those annoying repeats, verbal ticks, noises made while thinking and sometimes hard to decipher accents.

"More tools for stealth players" actually means "more augmentations to make stealth easy."
    Yep. Stealth was insanely easy in HR and they haven't been bragging about making a more difficult AI for stealth players. It isn't hard to imagine that stealth will be even easier in MD.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Dugas confirmed a hard mode and total stealth gameplay option on Twitter back in April, stating MD will have a "Give Me Deus Ex" difficulty option that will be no walk in the park.
    I guess we will have to wait and see if this means the AI turn out to be more challenging.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Poticha
    Polygon with JF Dugas and JJB (potato quality warning) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSzDBibKXik
    - Bossfights were e. They are optional.
    - Better visuals.
    - Energy pips were a bad idea, limiting energy was a good idea. They want to be more forgiving while still limiting the power.
    - Plot is standalone. They fear pissing off noobs so the plot will be as accessible as possible. Recap of HR plot is optional.
    - Sunglasses.
    - Some mental wanking about the Apartheid theme and transhumanism. I kinda zoned out here.

GameTrailers with Steve Szczepkowski (sound and music!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-_bfr8maBU
    - New engines and stronger consoles allow better music.
    - Darker theme so music is a bit darker (whatever that means)

DualShockers with Stéphane Roy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3YXmZzrk78
    - They start off with the aug incident and will gloss over the specific ending of HR.
    - Adam falls between the people with ty augs and those without augs.
    - Gameplay is being built upon from HR. They want to bring the action part up to par with other shooters.
    - Better hardware allows them to tell a story without words.
    - Interviewer asks if choosing augs for a specific path will give Adam different visuals, Producer says that certain augs have a visual component. Adam will not change physically depending on aug choice.

The Black Hokage with Mary DeMarle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STAtfPUSwnk
    I deserve a *** prize for listening to the crappy audio on the interviewer.

- Brand new engine.
    - Social boss fights are back with better body language and character dialog. Dialog is reactive to how you play the game. Talking to people can open up new storylines that affect end game and paths along the way. Can be closed off by killing people.
    - Bossfights were e. They are optional.
    - No importation of saves because of new engine. They didn't choose an ending to prevent players from feeling like they made the wrong choice. The aug incident is used as the starting point of the game.

Gamermd83 with Olivier Proulx - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06bdjDXh9oE
    - World is like DX meets District 9.
    - Adam is his own man this time around.
    - Dawn engines allows more bigger levels, more verticality and more options in gameplay.
    - They love the Titan Shield. It and the gun arm allow for more options in combat.
    - Choice is a core aspect of the game. Not just gameplay but story as well.
    - Aug incident is the start of the game. The ending of HR is left ambiguous.
    - No need to play HR in order to pick up MD.

This made me hate video interviews more. The audio is universally ty. I had to rewatch sections of video multiple times just to hear what was said. Nobody takes a moment to organize their thoughts so everything is filled with stuttering, verbal ticks, and people going uuuuuhhhhh. More of a general thing, but almost all the interviewers just want to get through their list of questions as fast as possible and don't try to go for clarification on points or try to get more out of them when they reveal an interesting tidbit. That might be because a marketing guy is there with a stopwatch.

As far as the information in the videos goes it is about what one would expect. The only thing I was a bit surprised by was the fact that they will essentially ignore HR except for a token line of dialog here and there. I get that companies these days are afraid of making people who made the conscious choice to play the second game in a series feel like they are playing the second game in a series. I just thought that Squeenix liked the first game enough to make it feel a bit more like an actual precursor to this game.

Originally Posted by Lady_Of_The_Vine
    Dugas confirmed a hard mode and total stealth gameplay option on Twitter back in April, stating MD will have a "Give Me Deus Ex" difficulty option that will be no walk in the park.
    I guess we will have to wait and see if this means the AI turn out to be more challenging.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it will not involve better AI. It will mean less damage dealt, more damage received and longer alarmed states for guards. If we are very lucky it will mean increased BE costs for augs and increased prices for weaponry bought. If we are lottory-winning-twice-in-a-row-lucky it will means that the vision cone for guards is longer and wider.

If I'm honest I'm going to guess that GMDX will still be pretty piss easy. I can't think of a mainstream game that was actually challenging on the highest difficulty setting. Obnoxious because of HP bloat certainly, but not challenging.

Originally Posted by Irate_Iguana
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it will not involve better AI. It will mean less damage dealt, more damage received and longer alarmed states for guards...
    Hopefully you are wrong.... we shall see.
    signature image

Combat and stealth in Human Revolution and Mankind Divided is not intense like in Deus Ex 1.This is cheating you cheaters.

- Energy pips were a bad idea, limiting energy was a good idea. They want to be more forgiving while still limiting the power.
    They want to be MORE forgiving? The energy system was already the most forgiving part of HR.

- New engines and stronger consoles allow better music.
    ...what? :|
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

They want to be MORE forgiving? The energy system was already the most forgiving part of HR.
    Yep. More chocolate bars and protein powder than you can shake a stick at and a relatively quickly recharging pip (after all upgrades). It wasn't that hard to use augs all the time, except for keeping the cloaking aug on all the time.

In the interview they said that there was a disconnect between feeling like a powerful human 2.0 and the game system that limited that power. They felt that they went a bit too far in HR and limited your power too much. They think they have a bit more room in MD to make it a bit more forgiving without compromising the core of the experience.

...what? :|
    The guy said that the new engine and the new consoles took a lot of the shackles off. The biggest thing you'd notice was their use of 5.1 sound.

Thanks Iguana.

My favorite quote is from the "World Premiere Gameplay Video": "In a Deus Ex world we're constantly reminding you that we have multi-paths and multi-solutions to every challenge".

We've also got a weapon modding system ripped from Crysis, Cover advancement from Gears of War, Hacking mini-game from Bioshock 2, Batman-style "focus" & slow time mode (mandatory in every Square-Enix 'AAA' game circa 2012), and a Dishonored Blink maneuver. Pilfering of concepts isn't exactly a bad thing, it is how it has always been, but at least steal the genuinely good ideas that suit what Deus Ex is (or is meant to be, rather).

The gameplay looks so uninspired, disengaging, piss-easy, modern 'AAA' generic-ism, anti-Deus Ex. Considerably more so than Human Revolution.

Is the old weapon modding system still in, with the incremental damage, reload speed, rate of fire etc? If so, that'd be rather cool in combination with the Crysis-ripped system, but I'd wager it has been replaced by this system instead.

By the looks of things this isn't Deus Ex. Human Revolution maybe earned the title of Deus Ex. This, however...

I don't know. HR came out in 2011 so the piss filter counts as a nostalgic element. It just won't be the same without it. You'll have to pee on your monitor to get that old HR feeling back.
    Feel free to do that then.

The piss theme sucks. It is boring. Its artistic qualities are simplistic. Variety is the spice of life.
    There is a reason B&W TV is mostly redundant today. The whole array of the color spectrum used appropriately is better than just shades of two.
    Simplistic, non-simulational, boring, misguided. Shame, because it could have been interesting if used in moderation: If the theme was unique to, say, Detroit, a geographic location different to the rest of the world in culture, political aspirations, architectural design trends, whatever. But no, for the most part the whole game is piss, and that is considered art more so than Deus Ex's many unique locations and designs by most. I call it lazy and misguided, and I certainly don't call it nostalgic. Good *** riddance.

These people aren't right for Deus Ex. It is a shame, because if it were a game not tied to Deus Ex in any way I'd be more accepting despite the lackluster design.
    Last edited by CyberP; 5th Jul 2015 at 15:43.

The colour palette is the least of my concerns. As long as the same level of detail and atmosphere is maintained then any colour will do.
    signature image

Shame, because it could have been interesting if used in moderation: If the theme was unique to, say, Detroit, a geographic location different to the rest of the world in culture, political aspirations, architectural design trends, whatever.
    Truth. The comparison between Detroit and Hengsha says it all. They managed to get a rebuilt urban wasteland in the US to look remarkably similar to a two-tiered city in China. These two couldn't be further apart and should have looked nothing like each other.

I'd love to see more variety in MD, but since we've only seen the Ghetto so far I can't tell if that will happen.

DX:MD E3 Awards

Congratulations!
    signature image

Originally Posted by Lady_Of_The_Vine
    detail and atmosphere
    Lol

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last