Thread: The Underworld Tavern - Welcome / Introduction & Random Chat Thread

The Underworld Tavern - Welcome / Introduction & Random Chat Thread

Saw Ex Machina this afternoon. Easily one of the best movies I've seen in years.

I mustn't recommend it to everyone, but if you like subtle, plodding, intellectual films, with no action sequences, then you may be ripe for this one.

Ex Machina covered nearly all the major philosophical angles of Artificial Intelligence... save one. It didn't overtly discuss the responsibility we must take for a creature that has reached sentience. Like a child, once it is born, it must be cared for until it can care of itself. It must not be neglected, mistreated, abandoned or destroyed. Even if it's not as perfect as you wanted. Society says we are responsible for our babies, however imperfect they may come out. A true, sentient machine deserves this same level of dedication.

I suppose this sentiment lies somewhere in the subtext of the film. Still, I would have loved for at least one character to bring this up. They talk about every other *** thing.
    signature image

I heard it was erotic. I was sold immediately. >.>
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

I think the ideas and undertones are more erotic than any one scene I can think of. But yeah, it's rather sexy in its own way.
    signature image

I didn't feel like it did anything particularly new or complex but the dance scene was great.

It's a miracle, my old stats have been returned. I've had to endure much, but now there is order again. Aquinas spoke of the mythical city on the hill, why contain it?

(click image to enlarge)

Sweet!
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Has anyone read The Hobbit? I find it extremely boring and I can't get past the first few chapters. Maybe it would be better if I read it in English, I don't know. I wanted to finish it before I start the LOTR novel.

So for now, it's eating dust on my bookshelf while I'm reading The Bat, a crime novel by Jo Nesbo. I like it so far.

Originally Posted by Sotcitcio
    Has anyone read The Hobbit? I find it extremely boring and I can't get past the first few chapters. Maybe it would be better if I read it in English, I don't know. I wanted to finish it before I start the LOTR novel.

So for now, it's eating dust on my bookshelf while I'm reading The Bat, a crime novel by Jo Nesbo. I like it so far.
    I found it more entertaining than LotR but then that's not saying much.

The Hobbit is a better structured book than Lord of the Rings, but I don't consider it a better tale. I had no problem reading any part of The Hobbit, especially the beginning. LotR, however... the first chapter has no story at all. It just talks about Hobbits in a very anthropological way. In other words, boring as hell.

Yet the great moments of LotR, and there are a plethora, are so much better than anything you'll read in The Hobbit.

The Hobbit is a children's book. The Lord of the Rings is for the child in all of us, while demanding a lot more from the reader.
    signature image

I did try to read it years back and it became the best book to make me asleep. I like reading, and some of my fave books have complex language or are in verse, but hobbit ? Not my cup of tea. I tried it both in English and my own language and no dice.

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    The Hobbit is a children's book.
    I think that's why I don't like it much. I knew it was a children's story but I thought "ok, I've read Harry Potter which had a younger audience(?) and I loved it so why not this". I believe it's my native language that makes it more childish that it should have been.

Maybe. But remember, the Hobbit was published in 1937. Children's books then were not as they are now. Furthermore, Harry Potter is an exceptionally mature read when compared against most of its contemporaries.
    signature image

Human Revolution was right. :x

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/...vading-targets

Originally Posted by IGN
    DARPA’s Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO) program, self-steering bullet technology designed increase hit rates for long-distance shots, underwent a successful round of live fire tests.
    Also, it's all sorts of Human Revolution in Baltimore.
    Last edited by Shralla; 29th Apr 2015 at 09:02.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

I think that's why I don't like it much. I knew it was a children's story but I thought "ok, I've read Harry Potter which had a younger audience(?) and I loved it so why not this". I believe it's my native language that makes it more childish that it should have been.
    Hobbit in my language was translated in 1977 and it is rather good translation. Very thorough and I think keeps very close to the original. But I found the descriptions and in my eyes lack of actual forwarding content not working for me. It felt standing still too much and too long. Hobbit would make a good painting, and is material for a film, but as book it feels too slow for me.

The first time I read the Hobbit, it was in a well put together book with wonderful illustrations by Alan Lee. Rather enhanced the experience. Did not envision it at all like it turned out in the films, or that there would ever be a LoTR style film about it. Seemed too gentle and sweet for that.

Originally Posted by Shralla
    Also, it's all sorts of Human Revolution in Baltimore.
    Flying out there in just over a week (not to join in). Last time I travelled abroad I was a few streets away from the Charlie Hebdo attack. Not so good travel timing for 2015.

Originally Posted by Spyhopping
    Flying out there in just over a week (not to join in). Last time I travelled abroad I was a few streets away from the Charlie Hebdo attack. Not so good travel timing for 2015.
    That's too suspicious to be a coincidence.

Perhaps you're a secret agent of an Interpol funded task force aimed at targeting and subverting aggressive anti-establishment activist groups.

(click image to enlarge)

Originally Posted by JCpies
    That's too suspicious to be a coincidence.

Perhaps you're a secret agent of an Interpol funded task force aimed at targeting and subverting aggressive anti-establishment activist groups.
    This is actually extremely likely. The alternative is that she'd travel to Baltimore on her own accord, which legitimately makes no sense!
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

The first time I read the Hobbit, it was in a well put together book with wonderful illustrations by Alan Lee. Rather enhanced the experience. Did not envision it at all like it turned out in the films, or that there would ever be a LoTR style film about it. Seemed too gentle and sweet for that.
    Yep. Those movies weren't The Hobbit. I don't know what they were.

I still enjoyed all three films, the last most of all, but they don't represent the novel well. The impression I get is they're trying too hard to distance themselves from the "gentle and sweet" children's book by striving for the maturity of LotRs, and in the process, fouling its identity. It feels like a mutation born of hot and earnest inbreeding.
    signature image

I thought the first Hobbit movie was awful and completely lost interest in seeing the others.

Nope, not suspicious at all.

Why are you going to Baltimore? The doubt has to be removed.

Why reveal the mundane reality of it when you're all having so much fun?

In game related antics I've been wandering around the capital wasteland as a fun precursor to visiting DC whilst I'm over there. Also, rediscovering Skyrim which is still magnificent. These kind of games are so good to come back to after a long break.

I thought the first Hobbit movie was awful and completely lost interest in seeing the others.
    My excitement and interest definitely died down after watching the first one, but I still wanted to see what they'd do with the rest of it.
    Last edited by Spyhopping; 30th Apr 2015 at 19:43.

Lots of mischief going on in here.
    signature image

Turns out I'll be driving to Baltimore to visit my dad at the end of the month. Should be a fun road trip, and even the eight hour drive beats the hell out of dealing with the airport.

Turns out I'll be driving to Baltimore...
    The plot thickens.
    signature image

Warning: F words and Michael Caine impersonations below

Page 5 of 15 First First 123456789 ... Last