Thread: List of things people did not like/liked in DXHR - Thoughts & Suggestions

List of things people did not like/liked in DXHR - Thoughts & Suggestions

Originally Posted by AdrianShephard
    Anfossi either has no clue what DX1 is about, or he wants to defend using the same theme for two games (and likely more). DX1 is a socio/political critique established through the various government conspiracies presented in the game; trans-humanism (as a societal issue) was but one topic touched upon to add depth to a few characters and to capture the imbalance of power between augmented UNATCO agents and the common folk (NSF, etc). Looking back at the instances where nano augmentation has been brought up, it becomes apparent that its primary purpose in the story is to show how far corporations and the government are willing to go to achieve their goals. This is reverberated when the player speaks with Leo Gold, Lebedev, Everett, Tong, and many others. There is no "debate" about trans-humanism, it's just another tool that adds atmosphere
    There is a rather interesting parallel to make here, between DX/HR/HD and Robocop (1987) / Robocop (2014). Verhoeven's Robo tackles the whole of society through 5 or 6 different socio-economical fronts and barely spends a whole minute on the transhumanist aspect of the question, while Padilha's remake is extremely verbal about "what it meeeeeeeeeans to be human", and timidly addresses other issues, besides some minor ethical aspects of war.

Just on the war ethics part, Padilha spends entire scenes on it, while Verhoeven sums it up in one sentence in that fabulous executive bathroom scene. "You've insulted me and you've insulted this company with that bastard creation of yours. I had a guaranteed military sale with ED 209 - renovation program, spare parts for twenty-five years... Who cares if it worked or not?"
    Last edited by FrankCSIS; 14th Apr 2015 at 00:12.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

1. Rewarding different amounts of XP for different approaches. Instead, grant XP for mission progress (and MAYBE exploring areas) and leave it to us how we handle said mission. Hacking every station for XP even when we have the code, getting "bonus" XP for non lethal and/or headshots... It's counterproductive.

2. Melee system which consists of third person takedowns. I don't how many times it's been said but it's not enough. You were so hell bent on showcasing your awesome takedowns that you had to tie the takedown gimmick to the energy system to "balance" it, crippling the energy system AND the augmentations as a result. Just give us melee weapons we can swing with the attack button. Jayeff's tweet is rather alarming, if it's not fake.

3. In general, too much fanservice, too many I win buttons, too much cool factor. Adam shouldn't be a superhero from the get go. Building him into a superhero will be more fun and satisfying. Let us earn our rewards.
    Why contain it?
    signature image

Originally Posted by AdrianShephard
    trans-humanism (as a societal issue) was but one topic touched upon to add depth to a few characters and to capture the imbalance of power between augmented UNATCO agents and the common folk (NSF, etc).
    From what I can remember (and find on short notice) it's mostly Gunther Hermann and two NSF soldiers on Liberty Island who discuss transhumanism. Gunther is continually afraid that he's become nothing more than an obsolete tool. He loved the power the augs gave him, but now he sees the downside. He's no longer worth anything because there is a new model. The NSF soldiers even say so: "They'd've replaced his whole body if it would've improved performance. If that's how you judge a man - by performance - then eventually it's not about people but upgrades, versions, functionality...". That's the most that I can really find on the topic of transhumanism.

Even HR doesn't really go anywhere with the transhumanism. Sure, it mentions that it isn't right to play god a few times. It mentions that humans aren't meant for this, but it is pretty low on the philosophical and practical dangers of transhumanism. I thought the game would go somewhere with the shooting of the 15 year old aug that Jensen refused to shoot and Haas did, but it is relegated to a simple side-quest and pretty much glossed over. The augmentation rat-race mentioned in a Hengsha sidequest also deals half-assed with transhumanism and its more practical consequences. For a game whose major theme, at least according to the designers, is transhumanism it is not explored too much.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

too much orange!!! at least throw a little blue in there...

also I think the speech system needs an overhaul. the whole alpha/beta/pheromones thing was always too easy, it should be more of a puzzle AND it should have more applications in game.

Disappointments need improvements:

1. Takedowns

As Adam is an Aug I can understand the lack of melee weapons, for if there were, the next argument is why bother with hands that can punch through walls.

Also hard to image FPS view doing the actions Adam does now, most of time we won't even see the target behind us as when using rear blades. Not much a person can see with their own eyes looking forward.

Only alternative is just stab & slice, which will get old fast.
    Hand takedowns are fine as shown in other FPS games.

TPS takedowns problems
    If they're sticking to TPS takedowns, they need to learn a lot from Splinter Cell: Blacklist
    Position
    Alert status
    Enemy class
    Facial expression
    Audio sync with motion
    Noisy hand takedowns should be noticed

No FPS takedowns
    Make it optional?
    More work for them... but get to see different perspective.

Want to see what Adam sees when he stabs someone behind him.

2. Hacking / lock picking
    Need more variety
    Can't be the only way to hack or can't everyone have same security even overseas. (keypads, PCs & security consoles) 3 different items all same method...

Assassins Creed 4: have at least 3 alternative hacking and that's not even a Intel gathering game...

Splinter Cell: Show tinkering the laptops / PCs or activating armband device or WiFi connection

Animation
    Show some FPS animation when entering hacking mode... Hands typing the keypad/board, open console, insert wires or WiFi device glowing on the hand like the trailer.

Lock picks
    Simple doors, non electronic security needs some way to get in, they don't even have keys. Oo

3. Side missions
    Freedom of choice?
    Why show us the objective when we can't fulfil it. Doing the bad cop blackmail.

Connection to the story...
    Some j can understand we won't see those people again but Megan's mom, would love him being able to tell her Megan is alive. I dun recall but do we see her again at the end?
    In the apartment, even though we don't have anything new to say?

4. Shades ≠ HUD
    Not a big peeve, but am disappointed its not optional.
    Whenever get back to Cutscene, he can reshade for style.
    5. Boss takedown
    Not saying should be like Namir but if we manage to get close to them undetected, would be nice if we could hurt them but still living.

Each hit different animation till the finishing move.

6. Will think more later...

Alright, here it goes. One last gasp of protest...

(deep breath)

I'll break this into two main categories: Gameplay and Writing/Story.

Gameplay
    1. Mid-mission cutscenes- Besides interrupting the action and momentarily reducing the player to a passive observer instead of an active participant, these scenes run counter to the idea of letting a player determine his/her own playstyle. It's extremely frustrating to cautiously sneak your way through a level, only to trigger a cutscene where Adam walks blindly in to a room and sets off an alarm or gets ambushed through his own stupidity. Video games are not movies. I do not want to sit idly by and watch things happen. I want to be the impetus for the action, and I want to see the world react realistically to my decisions/choices.

2. Persistent radar/objective markers- Both of these features in DXHR would've been perfectly fine, if included as optional and upgradable augmentations. Many of my problems with Human Revolution's gameplay would've been fixed by a single design maxim- when in doubt, make it an option. Radar would be fine, if you had to make a choice to install it and dedicate resources to improving its functionality. Same with the objective marker, or the "mark and tag" feature (which was all but useless in DXHR due to persistent radar). Most critically, these features when combined with 3rd person cover make stealth painfully simple. Don't hold my hand, don't cripple the challenge of playing as a stealthy character.

3. No melee weapons- I'm honestly okay with takedowns (why shouldn't a powerfully-augmented character be able to disable/kill an enemy with his bare hands?) I'd prefer them to be in 1st person, but whatever. I'm okay with them.

However...there is absolutely no excuse not to have regular melee weapons. Knives, batons, crowbars, blackjacks, riot prods/stun sticks, swords, etc. These are the most basic weapons in humanity's arsenal, and there is no reason why Adam should not be able to use them. It also ties into the ridiculous energy management system of DXHR. A player should never be unable to execute a non-projectile attack simply because he hasn't eaten enough candy bars. Give me a break.

4. Third-person cover- I'm sorry, I don't enjoy this hybrid 1st/3rd person nonsense. It leads to the oft-maligned "waist-high wall" syndrome, and it gives the player too big of an advantage when it comes to stealth. It also reduces tension when a player is able to see around corners or over obstacles.

5. No mirrors, water, or other realistic environments- If you expect your gameworld to feel realistic, then it needs to include reflective surfaces and water. Swimming also makes for an interesting facet of your level design and can lead to more believable environments (how can you have a mission set on an island nation like Hong Kong or Singapore if you can't go in the water? or a mission on a floating platform or submarine or ship?).

You can also apply this same complaint to a lack of animals or wildlife of any kind. Or children, for that matter. I'm sorry, I need the world to feel populated by actual people, and actual people have small children. You will simply have to tolerate the inevitable YouTube videos of players skewering kids with their arm blades or other weapons. It's a video game, and people will be idiots no matter what you do.

6. Monochromatic color scheme- I'm fine with the gold palette for some levels. But the ubiquitous, monochromatic gold tint does not need to be applied to every single environment in the game. It simply isn't realistic or visually pleasing. Use more diversity, and for god's sake don't bludgeon us with the "Golden Age" metaphor as much.

7. Cyber-renaissance- I applaud EM's design team for trying to give the game a distinctive art style, and honestly, this one I consider to be a "noble failure." I'm okay with creativity, but I just don't see how the character design of DXHR and DXMD merges at all with what we see in DX1. I know the world of 2027-2029 is supposed to be a more decadent age, but it still seems like an entirely different universe than the more familiar clothing and architectural styles of DX1. In particular, the sleek, easily-concealed augmentations we see in the prequels do not gel at all with the clunky, '80s-influenced cyborgs of 2051-52.

8. Path/Pillar level design- Too many times in DXHR, it was painfully obvious which route was intended to be the "frontal assault" path, the "stealth" path, etc. Deus Ex should be all about giving the player a chance to devise his/her own creative solutions to challenges. Don't box them into an obvious tunnel or corridor (this also ties into the obnoxious need to funnel players into a trigger point for cinematic cutscenes). Give me more wide open levels, more vertical or multi-tiered pathways to objectives. Give me more Hengsha and less Detroit.

9. Highlighting/interactivity- The visual splendor of DXHR seems impressive at first (every map is obviously waaaaay more populated, in terms of objects, than the relatively empty maps of DX1). However, barely any of these items are able to be interacted with by the player. Ultimately, the player just begins to ignore this detail as irrelevant clutter. It's extremely frustrating to throw a grenade into a room and see it explode, yet all the books on the bookshelf remain perfectly in place, or other small items remain bolted on to a desk.

With more interactive world items, it would no longer be necessary to implement a highlighting feature to point out what the player can and cannot pick up.

10. Hacking- I, for one, was a fan of the hacking mini-game. I'd like to see continually improved diversity and more creative options added, but overall it was fine for me.

However, there is no reason for every single door in the game to be electronically-locked. Give me more solutions. Let me pick a mechanical lock, or demolish a door with explosives, or THEN open it with an electronic panel or computer.

Writing/Story

1. Characterization- Do not depend on peripheral media in the real world (books, blogs, viral marketing campaigns, etc) to develop your characters. Even your enemies should be plausible, well-written, compelling characters. Want me to hate a character? Give me a reason to do so, and give me time to develop my loathing of this person. Don't just put a gun in their hand, write a few cheesy one-liners for them, and tell me to feel something when I kill them. I felt absolutely nothing toward the Tyrants (Barrett, Fedorova, etc), nothing compared to the emotions going through my head when I battled Gunther or Anna or Walton Simons.

The same goes for your allies. Characters like Megan Reed were woefully underwritten. Give me more than just backstory. Give them rich character moments, interesting e-mails and journals and such, unique character traits and flaws and tendencies. Make me care about them, don't just tell me that I should.

2. NPCs- For the love of all that is holy, have your NPCs talk about something other than augmentation! I hated how every single NPC, from major characters to the simplest bum on the street, talked about one thing- augs, augs, augs, augs. I know you want to focus on transhumanism, but there is a lot more to Deus Ex than the transhumanist debate.

Deus Ex should examine many things: abuse of power, the dangers of surveillance, the risks of rapid technological proliferation and advancement, income/resource inequality and disparity, paranoia and conspiracies, environmental destruction, consumerism and culture, etc. DXHR only had one idea on its mind, and my connection with the game world suffered because of it.

3. Dialogue- I felt that DXHR's NPCs didn't have anywhere nearly as much to say as the NPCs in DX1. Maybe it was simply because they were all so dull and monotonously-focused on transhumanist debates, but I can barely recall any real memorable conversations (other than the vaguely stereotypical trash-digging lady in Detroit). Give me memorable throwaway characters. Fill your world with colorful and distinctive individuals, not merely a bunch of moving bodies.

I'm sure there's more, but I think I've said enough as it is.
    Last edited by WildcatPhoenix; 15th Apr 2015 at 03:00.

Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix
    1. Characterization- Do not depend on peripheral media in the real world (books, blogs, viral marketing campaigns, etc) to develop your characters. Even your enemies should be plausible, well-written, compelling characters. Want me to hate a character? Give me a reason to do so, and give me time to develop my loathing of this person. Don't just put a gun in their hand, write a few cheesy one-liners for them, and tell me to feel something when I kill them. I felt absolutely nothing toward the Tyrants (Barrett, Fedorova, etc), nothing compared to the emotions going through my head when I battled Gunther or Anna or Walton Simons.

The same goes for your allies. Characters like Megan Reed were woefully underwritten. Give me more than just backstory. Give them rich character moments, interesting e-mails and journals and such, unique character traits and flaws and tendencies. Make me care about them, don't just tell me that I should.
    This. So much this. I mean, I agree with most of your other points as well, but this really bugged me. I'm forced to kill a few people I don't know with the only motivation being that they almost killed me back in the prologue. This is fine, but not if they are supposed to be the main antagonists and supposedly a major part of the organization behind it all. I shouldn't be forced to find a *** tapestry out IRL to find out why the lady with the weird legs is in the secret basement of a news agent and wants to murder-kill the protagonist.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

1. Lack of diverse locations.

I understand it was a bit of a gamble, a re-boot at a time when Square were under pressure but still, there could have been more inspiring and unique feeling environments. The original DX had french catacombs, churches, a chateau, parks, underground stations, cemetery, military bases (both naval and army), swish apartments, canals and a lot more 'verticality' such as the statue of liberty, Hong Kong apartments, the crane you can climb etc.

That last area, in DXHR, when you're at the icy base, was a real breath of fresh air, made me feel like Jenson was really globetrotting. I want more things like that.

I'd hate to think it's going to be nothing but cramped, cyberpunk, dystopian locations the whole time. What's the point of globe trotting if you're just going from one ghetto to another?

2. Black and yellow throughout the game.

The yellow filter. It meant the locations had less individual identity (exacerbating the point above), not to mention a lack of realism. In short doses it looks great, like say Blade Runner....but throughout the entire 30+ hour game? It drove me nuts. Even Blade Runner mixed things up and it's just a 2 hour film.

If the filter is back, I'll be looking for mods and using SweetFx day one

3. The 10mm silenced, armour piercing pistol being OP.

I want more incentive to be versatile and use other weapons, whether stealth (not ghost) or all out attack. Gadgets, items and weapon choice, along with making the player need to plan ahead for different situations, can be engaging and challenging.

4. Greater variety of enemies.

Other things seem to have supposedly been addressed by the team. More skills, more choices in plot and dialogue etc...so that's all that comes to mind. It was a fantastic game to begin with really but there's always room for improvement
    Last edited by cleanedtheplaceout; 16th Apr 2015 at 09:33.

2. NPCs- For the love of all that is holy, have your NPCs talk about something other than augmentation! I hated how every single NPC, from major characters to the simplest bum on the street, talked about one thing- augs, augs, augs, augs. I know you want to focus on transhumanism, but there is a lot more to Deus Ex than the transhumanist debate.

Deus Ex should examine many things: abuse of power, the dangers of surveillance, the risks of rapid technological proliferation and advancement, income/resource inequality and disparity, paranoia and conspiracies, environmental destruction, consumerism and culture, etc. DXHR only had one idea on its mind, and my connection with the game world suffered because of it.
    That's a good one.

10. Great write up WildcatPhoenix.

Alright, here it goes. One last gasp of protest...

(deep breath)

I'll break this into two main categories: Gameplay and Writing/Story.

Gameplay
    1. Mid-mission cutscenes- Besides interrupting the action and momentarily reducing the player to a passive observer instead of an active participant, these scenes run counter to the idea of letting a player determine his/her own playstyle. It's extremely frustrating to cautiously sneak your way through a level, only to trigger a cutscene where Adam walks blindly in to a room and sets off an alarm or gets ambushed through his own stupidity. Video games are not movies. I do not want to sit idly by and watch things happen. I want to be the impetus for the action, and I want to see the world react realistically to my decisions/choices.
    I don't mind cut scenes, but I think they need to be in-engine. The low-res videos were jarring and didn't look good. The rendering in them made the characters and environments look different, and it just didn't look good, especially on a high-res screen.
    4. Third-person cover- I'm sorry, I don't enjoy this hybrid 1st/3rd person nonsense. It leads to the oft-maligned "waist-high wall" syndrome, and it gives the player too big of an advantage when it comes to stealth. It also reduces tension when a player is able to see around corners or over obstacles.
    I liked this mechanic because it was fun, but they should at least have more varied-height objects. I do hope they add in leaning and such for those that would prefer it that way.

5. No mirrors, water, or other realistic environments- If you expect your gameworld to feel realistic, then it needs to include reflective surfaces and water. Swimming also makes for an interesting facet of your level design and can lead to more believable environments (how can you have a mission set on an island nation like Hong Kong or Singapore if you can't go in the water? or a mission on a floating platform or submarine or ship?).

You can also apply this same complaint to a lack of animals or wildlife of any kind. Or children, for that matter. I'm sorry, I need the world to feel populated by actual people, and actual people have small children. You will simply have to tolerate the inevitable YouTube videos of players skewering kids with their arm blades or other weapons. It's a video game, and people will be idiots no matter what you do.
    I REALLY hope the Dawn engine supports water and reflections. I'd love to see swimming come back. Augs are water-proof, right? I can understand logically that the mechanical augs might be too heavy for swimming, but many augs aren't exactly logical/realistic, so I'm sure there could be some technobabble excuse to make it work.
    6. Monochromatic color scheme- I'm fine with the gold palette for some levels. But the ubiquitous, monochromatic gold tint does not need to be applied to every single environment in the game. It simply isn't realistic or visually pleasing. Use more diversity, and for god's sake don't bludgeon us with the "Golden Age" metaphor as much.
    I agree there should be more diversity. I think we saw some of that with the Missing Link using more blue/cyan at times. Also the Director's Cut largely removed or reduced the gold tint. I don't mind the tint, but it shouldn't be everywhere and overused. It could be more subtle and change depending on the environment or even situation (maybe a slight red tint when wounded, for example). The all-white room where we met Megan shows at least one implementation of changing it up.
    7. Cyber-renaissance- I applaud EM's design team for trying to give the game a distinctive art style, and honestly, this one I consider to be a "noble failure." I'm okay with creativity, but I just don't see how the character design of DXHR and DXMD merges at all with what we see in DX1. I know the world of 2027-2029 is supposed to be a more decadent age, but it still seems like an entirely different universe than the more familiar clothing and architectural styles of DX1. In particular, the sleek, easily-concealed augmentations we see in the prequels do not gel at all with the clunky, '80s-influenced cyborgs of 2051-52.
    I'm really wondering how they'll reconcile the vast differences between DX:HR and the original DX. It's like 30 years apart, and while a major global depression/disaster could account for some return to older technology and styles, it seems too vast of a difference.
    9. Highlighting/interactivity- The visual splendor of DXHR seems impressive at first (every map is obviously waaaaay more populated, in terms of objects, than the relatively empty maps of DX1). However, barely any of these items are able to be interacted with by the player. Ultimately, the player just begins to ignore this detail as irrelevant clutter. It's extremely frustrating to throw a grenade into a room and see it explode, yet all the books on the bookshelf remain perfectly in place, or other small items remain bolted on to a desk.

With more interactive world items, it would no longer be necessary to implement a highlighting feature to point out what the player can and cannot pick up.
    More interactive objects would be great. I thought I read that environments would react more, but I don't know what that really means. We'll see.
    10. Hacking- I, for one, was a fan of the hacking mini-game. I'd like to see continually improved diversity and more creative options added, but overall it was fine for me.

However, there is no reason for every single door in the game to be electronically-locked. Give me more solutions. Let me pick a mechanical lock, or demolish a door with explosives, or THEN open it with an electronic panel or computer.
    I'm hoping that the anti-aug movement will explain the return to more low-tech doors, and also disposable lock picks and multitools that non-augs would use. I'm glad to see non-augs using mech suits and stuff because it shows that non-augs would need to use technology too, especially to combat augs.
    Writing/Story

One of the biggest disappointments to me was how they pumped us up about Barrett prior to launch, and then it turns out he's one-dimensional and killed off very early in the game. I wanted to uncover more about him and the tyrants. No Orange/Lemon-Lime moments. They could have at least done that for the bosses that were fought later, but there was not much of anything. They were just bad guys. I expect shades of gray and some angles to understand their perspective, even if I don't agree with it.

One of the biggest disappointments to me was how they pumped us up about Barrett prior to launch, and then it turns out he's one-dimensional and killed off very early in the game
    I specifically avoided spoilers when the game was released, and so hadn't heard about the boss battles and all that jazz. I was SO surprised to see Barrett show up out of nowhere, with zero context, only to be killed, that for half the game, despite the obvious cut scene, I expected him to return. He had more presence in the different trailers than he did in the actual game!

Wildcat summed up the majority of the points previously brought up, in a nicely packaged way. Some may come down to personal preferences, but they are all around fairly legitimate.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

I recently finished replaying Deus Ex: Human Revolution, now I had a few issues and most of them are minor, but a few would be welcome changes.

Inventory: I am the type of person that loves exploring in games and collecting things, but the inventory in the game for me was extremely frustrating because you get stuck trying to have different tools for different situations and don't really have the room for that style of play. I think the grind design is fine, but the size and stacking limits of the items in the game could be greatly improved or the items that drop can be a little more streamlined.

Hacking: I enjoyed the idea of finding passcodes or hacking doors, but at the same time even with hacking at level 5 it still felt like I am gambling at the interface for I had more problems in an area with a Level 2 Door then I did with a Level 5 Terminal due to luck alone.

Weapons: The distribution of weapons and upgrades becomes aggravating as well for if you want to find upgrades for any of the weapons that are found later in the game, you better have the foresight that you are going to need to bring them from earlier in the game. Most of the time I played the game I stuck with barehanded combat with a 10mm pistol because that is what you started with and because of how upgrades for weapons worked normally it was on par with anything else I could find later in the game. I have experimented with a P.E.P.S. in Panchea, but found just carrying a few extra energy bars worked just as well.

Lethal versus Non-lethal: Now I am not sure how to fix the divide, but it feel like I was being punished for taking a lethal approach the one time I tried from not having high damage weaponry until late in the game to every enemy being alerted when I started to clear areas it did feel like I was being guided to going back to non-lethal.

As far as solutions or ideas:
    Inventory: Have more items that are just counted on the side of the screen, such as the Nuke Virus for almost all the ones I did find were from hacking, a primary and secondary weapon slots and if you want more then that you can then stash it into your bags.

Hacking: Instead of having it all based on chance make the skill points invested mean more to event itself or even have it based a little more on player input besides an "attack this node", "defend this node", etc option.

Weaponry: The problem with weapons is the size and the upgrade system mostly, but also making weapons more modular based on the upgrade system. So instead of having a separate weapon for grenades, just have an under-barrel launcher or swap out the fire mechanisms to switch to a weapon that fires primary fully automatic. I think people who know more about weapons could give better ideas.

Lethal versus Non-lethal: I think a lot of people touched on good points already, but something to balance it out or at least not make non-lethal feel like that is the way you should go would be great.

Some great stuff

EIDOS MASTERS, PLEASE, MAKE BEN SAXOPHOBE ROMANCEABLE ALREADY
    Or Pritchard, at least.
    Or, I dunno. Gunther?

Just someone, I'm tired of your oppression of homosexuality in games. I'm sure a lot of people (even straight people) will agree that we need the diversity in romances to keep little girls like me silent~~

1. Long loading times
    2. Limited & mostly yellow color palette in the game
    3. Storage space. Would be nice to have stash or something

In no particular order:

Level Design
    TPP
    Stealth
    Maps
    Aug system
    Lack of skills
    Writing
    Story
    Relation to DX
    Regenerating Health
    Hacking for locks?
    Speech battles
    Cutscenes
    XP
    Lack of Melee
    Piss filter
    Takedowns
    Cool TM!!!
    Hub design
    Forced simplifications
    ILS activating auto
    Lack of choice and consequence
    Forced do things that I wouldn't choose to do as the player
    Enemy variety
    Difficulty
    Regenerating Energy
    Lack of locational health
    Ending
    Controls not being fully mappable
    Shadows

I think some enemies should yell 'I am hit' and then should drop weapon and run as fast as they can.
    Last edited by Isumbarus; 27th Jun 2015 at 21:36.

Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity
    You're incorrect.

Whether non-lethal was superior to lethal is not the "point" being raised (although, again, you're still incorrect, because it IS debatable, considering that this is a GAME and not an accounting spreadsheet where higher numbers=better--the fact that something has less power does not mean it doesn't have other advantages. There are other reasons why lethal is better than non-lethal).

The point being raised is whether non-lethal being superior to lethal is a bad thing or not. Which is quite debatable.
    You're incorrect.

There were no reasons for me to prefer a lethal takedown. If I ever did it was by mistake.

Originally Posted by Isumbarus
    I think some enemies should yell 'I am hit' and then should drop weapon and run as fast as they can.
    Running NPCs in DX were... something.
    Last edited by xaduha3; 28th Jun 2015 at 14:51.

Female character request for Deus Ex

I was thinking about this and I have to say that we can't match Human Revolution and Mankind Divided to Deus Ex series.Those games using cheating system mechanics that Deus Ex doesn't have.Square and Eidos change your direction or don't use Deus Ex name in your next titles when core mechanics and philosophy of Deus Ex is not there.

What we have seen so far in Mankind Divided is same Human Revolution in version 2.0 and there is no debate that Human Revolution was garbage game compared to original. And now you want to give us overpowered abilities,bullet time from Max Payne.Mixing this staff together is definitely a sauce.You mixing this staff and you calling it "this is Deus Ex".No, Eidos and Square I am telling you right now, it's not working.

You can't change your direction because you ed it up in 2007 or earlier so I request for Deus Ex character after you finish Mankind Divided.

Character will use:
    -first person perspective plus leaning system.
    -game will be based on maps, schematics ,blueprints.There is no radar , objective markers in Deus Ex series.
    -Deus Ex game without melee weapons does not exist.
    -regen system based on food and medkits.
    -no more cheating in level design, you are calling it 'cover system'.
    -no more rewards xp for killing.
    -no more stupid bonus weapons for pre order.
    -Deus Ex should have a lot of secrets .Secret areas ,secret dialogues ,secret societies , hard to find.
    -you can do better interaction with objects Dawn Engine that the players is able to pick any object and throw at someone.

I missed ton of staff but those are core mechanics if you want to use Deus Ex name.
    You must understand this if you want to make great game .
    Last edited by Isumbarus; 14th Jul 2015 at 11:50.

I'm not understanding this post at all. First off, this has nothing to do with having a Female Character in Deus Ex, so unless I'm missing something your topic title and post do no match up.

As far as your post, I have played every Deus Ex game and I can tell you that Human Revolution was a very good Deus Ex game. It had the same feel as the original Deus Ex game. Mankind Divided looks just as good and I'm personally excited to play it when it comes out.

Originally Posted by FrankieSatt
    I'm not understanding this post at all. First off, this has nothing to do with having a Female Character in Deus Ex, so unless I'm missing something your topic title and post do no match up.
    Yeah, I have already PM'd Isumbarus requesting that we merge his post into a more appropriate existing thread.

EDIT: Done.
    Last edited by Lady_Of_The_Vine; 13th Jul 2015 at 21:08. Reason: added edit
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

HR was good game but It's not Deus Ex game you can call it Splinter Cell mixed staff together and no one will notice it.If they want to continue this hybrid leave the Deus Ex name to someone else.
    Last edited by Isumbarus; 14th Jul 2015 at 11:43.

I enjoyed the 3rd person take downs, as I personally like sneaking around/hacking etc. I do think there shud be some reward for spending more time sneaking around/trying to resolve stuff amicably but not to the extent that it almost forces you to only do that, otherwise no point putting weapons in the game in the first place.

maybe a 5% reward for the extra diligence etc. or if possible maybe different areas unlocked thru various game styles so it rewards both styles but different outcomes.

Boss modes in HR were ok but not good/great im not sure if its something that's needed or not.

introducing the omar is MD would be cool as would give another angle for other people to play/persue.

Originally Posted by Fest1984
    introducing the omar in MD would be cool as would give another angle for other people to play/pursue.
    Oooh, you need to join my Friends list.

Yeah, hopefully we'll be introduced to the Russian scientists who later become the Omar. I'm not sure we'll see them in MD but it has to happen at some point.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Fest1984
    I enjoyed the 3rd person take downs, as I personally like sneaking around/hacking etc.
    I don't see the connection between these two things.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last