Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: 3rd Person Cover System & Take Downs

3rd Person Cover System & Take Downs

Originally Posted by CyberP
    The general consensus within ISIS' ranks is heathens such as yourself should die.

The whole world consists of varying degrees of lunacy and cultist behaviour. What else is new?
    But the general consensus outside of ISIS ranks is that they're lunatics and should die.

And you're right about the world. But still, MGS is the A Side.

BTW, have they hinted at a release date?

Originally Posted by NUMBER8ISGREAT
    And you're right about the world. But still, MGS is the A Side.
    The Immersive Sim is King, non-believer!

BTW, have they hinted at a release date?
    Who, Kojima Productions, or the Kojima Productions wannabees (EM)?

I don't know regarding either. The only (principled) video game company I'd religiously follow and "wannabee" are no more.

You do know most people who played only HR don't even know what is an 'immersive sim', let alone know what genre DX is all about.

Originally Posted by Specom
    You do know most people who played only HR don't even know what is an 'immersive sim', let alone know what genre DX is all about.
    Doesn't HR break some of those rules though ? In this case one cannot blame HR crowd not be quite aware of it.
    Last edited by Dvaythavvar; 12th Apr 2015 at 07:52.

That's correct.

Originally Posted by Specom
    Of course, but my old pal HERESY here does know. Or thinks he does rather. He's only played DX1 liberty island, everything else he has played (Dishonored, Bioshock, HR) is negligible.

Edit: @HERESY: apologies for repeatedly calling you out. I never really had a problem with you. Your opinions on the other hand...but that is what drives these places. Just continue to feign ignorance as to who this HERESY fellow is and you'll be safe.
    Last edited by CyberP; 12th Apr 2015 at 15:28.

Originally Posted by CyberP
    The Immersive Sim is King, non-believer!

Who, Kojima Productions, or the Kojima Productions wannabees (EM)?

I don't know regarding either. The only (principled) video game company I'd religiously follow and "wannabee" are no more.
    I wouldn't say that (about the immersive sim.)

I was asking about the release date for this new Deus Ex game.

I couldn't agree more......it took me out of the game as well.
    Originally Posted by CHERNO-B1LL
    This is a game about transcending human capability through technology and augmentation. What in the actual f*%k is Adam using to hover three feet behind himself?

If they want a way to give you an advantage behind cover than you should have to get an aug for it, some sort of little drone would be great.

For me it's cheating and it makes it less tense. You can see everything, line up shots, pop up and nail a guy in the dome and be back down in cover. It's a lot more tense when you have to risk being seen by leaning out or peeping over and relying on senses and augs to hear or see where the enemy is. It's a thrill to feel like you are hiding instead of waiting.

For immersion purposes the idea is you are Adam. Not someone playing Adam, everytime the view point shifted and I could see my avatar I remember I'm playing a game. The original had a drone that flew out and spied for you, that and seeing yourself in a mirror or during conversations was the only time I saw myself, but I was seeing me through in world mechanics not gameplay mechanics. I will always think that works better.

You have a point there my friend. Sadly I agree.
    Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix
    We can post on this forum until our eyes bleed and our fingers start to fall off, listing all the reasons why design decisions like contextual third person cover, automatic regenerating health, takedowns, mid-mission cutscenes, etc are contrary to the design philosophies of Deus Ex. We can protest for years to come, and none of it will mean a single thing.

As long as the franchise is in the hands of this studio, and owned by Square Enix, you will continue to see "streamlined," cutscene-driven, poorly-written games like Human Revolution. They have their brand icon now (yay! another Master Chief/Cmdr. Shepard/Marcus Fenix/insert protagonist here _____). They have supporters like Heresy or Lady_of_the_Vine who can get on here and beat the pro-EM drum for hours on end, labeling all of us old-schoolers as curmudgeonly "haters" who just love to complain.

And I'm sorry, I don't have the desire or energy to rehash the same arguments we had for years leading up to DXHR, just to be crushed by watching my favorite franchise sink further and further into mainstream, generic, 8th-grade level "kewl"-ness.

Page 3 of 3 First First 123