Thread: Eyokir's suggested additions

Eyokir's suggested additions

Eyokir's suggested additions

Small suggestions:

1) Area specific vocals. In an area where a certain class has some connection in lore, like the Tyrants for the Crucible, the Sentinels for the Fane or the Hunters for Valeholm have their phrases reflect that. The Tyrants could say something to the effect of "This is our stronghold! Defend it with your lives!" The Sentinels would be - "the Fane is our sanctuary, do not let it fall to these bloodsacks!" etc etc

2) More grappling points for the Scouts in every map. Ideally I would love to see any point you can use a grappling hook on, but practically I would like to see even more spots to be able to mount and snipe from

3) Facial animations on the humans. Its a bit distracting when my human, while being clawed, doesn't so much as shut his eyes in pain or even open his mouth to yell (when I can see the mouth that is). If this proves a drain for lower end machines why not put a turn off option in?

4) Berserk ability - From Blood omen 2, taken from Sebastian, Kain could do a fast powerful series of attacks that ended in a blow that sent an opponent flying. This seems like a good ability to have for either the Sentinel or the Reaver

5) Immolate ability - another from blood omen 2 - this time taken from Magnus. If a Vampire gets close enough, they can use the spell on the human they face, causing immense fiery damage. The draw back to this ability is that it has a very short range. Might be good for the summoner or the eventual rahabim

6) Font of Putrescence - From blood omen, where the ability caused the victim to collapse into a puddle of goo that killed anything that stepped on it. Perhaps when a human is close to death, the vampire can cast it onto them. They die instantly and the splattered remains as a health hazard to the other humans around them although for not as long as the Reaver's bombs.

Larger suggestions

1) More maps - specifically ones based on Soul Reaver and Blood omen locations. The prime examples are Silenced Cathedral, Drowned Abby, Dumah's city, The Human citadel, Kain's mountain sanctuary, Willendorf, the Termagent Forest, Avernus, inside the walls of Meridian itself

2) True skin customisation. Different shields for the Vanguard are nice but why not give us a lot more then that? Give us a basic skin along with basic armour, then let us buy or unlock different helmets, cuirass', boots, tattoos, expressions, pigments for colouring, clan cape banners. Then have unique additions for the evolved skins as well- which you can purchase into or grind for.

3) Co-op campaigns. Essentially fighting NPCS but not mindlessly without any direction. Give us an objective. Say we have to survive with only a set number of lives as we fight our way through endless Vampires to get to a certain position, or defend an object for so long. For example - in one such campaign suppose you are a group of Vampire hunters stuck inside Zephonim territory and are repeatedly attacked by Deceivers on their way to light a signal fire for rescue.

4) An evolving cut scene. Depending on what evolved skin you acquired, a cut scene could play showing your Vampire emerging from a cocoon in this new state - perhaps with a voice over. "The battle has proven that we are the stronger, the superior. As time passes, we become less human and more...divine."

5) A prestige cut scene - the human version of the above, where the class you gain the new skin for is promoted to an officer. "We are proud to have one such as you stand by our side in this struggle. Let Kain's followers beware, for a great warrior comes to hunt them down."

6) Dark Chronicle. All of the LoK games have had a record of what happens in them in some form or another and given Nosgoth's nature a lot of his background story is going unrecorded and unseen. On the other hand, a lot of people have tons of gold with nothing to spend it upon. Why not create a massive library and database of background lore and articles on the various clans, factions, locations and people to be found in Nosgoth - unlocked for gold - each with new and unique artwork for each one. New artwork for locations, older characters such as Kain, Vorador, Moebius, etc - to help spread the lok story to new players and give them a reason to want to learn and see more

Originally Posted by CountEyokir
    3) Facial animations on the humans. Its a bit distracting when my human, while being clawed, doesn't so much as shut his eyes in pain or even open his mouth to yell (when I can see the mouth that is). If this proves a drain for lower end machines why not put a turn off option in?

4) Berserk ability - From Blood omen 2, taken from Sebastian, Kain could do a fast powerful series of attacks that ended in a blow that sent an opponent flying. This seems like a good ability to have for either the Sentinel or the Reaver

5) Immolate ability - another from blood omen 2 - this time taken from Magnus. If a Vampire gets close enough, they can use the spell on the human they face, causing immense fiery damage. The draw back to this ability is that it has a very short range. Might be good for the summoner or the eventual rahabim

6) Font of Putrescence - From blood omen, where the ability caused the victim to collapse into a puddle of goo that killed anything that stepped on it. Perhaps when a human is close to death, the vampire can cast it onto them. They die instantly and the splattered remains as a health hazard to the other humans around them although for not as long as the Reaver's bombs.
    1) How could that distract you? Unless you have the camera swung around to admire your face while being attacked, you can't see that. o.O (Couldn't hurt though.)

2) Reaver is already speedy so I'd give that to the Sentinel. Would be a nice ability.

3) Short range isn't a great drawback for massive damage, I think. And the Rahabim having immolation abilities would be thematically confused. Summoners deal in spectral energies, not magic fire...I'd give this one to a Turelim (Tyrant, or some other if they expand the clans later) given the nature of their geomancy and territory.

4) The Font of Putrescence was an artifact, not an ability . For simpler implementation, it may serve to eliminate the "near-death melting" aspect and just go with a toxic goo puddle.
    Last edited by Ygdrasel; 5th Apr 2015 at 19:44.

I love all these suggestions. There should probably be more insentive for purchasing tomes containing Nosgoth's lore as all of it will end up on the internet in a short amount of time. I agree with Ygdrasel about the there being some awkwardness when presented with with the idea that the Rahabim should be setting people ablaze. Everything else sounds amazing though. I hope the devs see this and work on implementing basically everything you suggested.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    1) How could that distract you? Unless you have the camera swung around to admire your face while being attacked, you can't see that. o.O (Couldn't hurt though.)

2) Reaver is already speedy so I'd give that to the Sentinel. Would be a nice ability.

3) Short range isn't a great drawback for massive damage, I think. And the Rahabim having immolation abilities would be thematically confused. Summoners deal in spectral energies, not magic fire...I'd give this one to a Turelim (Tyrant, or some other if they expand the clans later) given the nature of their geomancy and territory.

4) The Font of Putrescence was an artifact, not an ability . For simpler implementation, it may serve to eliminate the "near-death melting" aspect and just go with a toxic goo puddle.

Blood omen 2 enemies made facial expressions when you hurt and killed them. I think this game can match that game at least graphically.

Yeah I thought sentinel would benefit from it more then the Reaver

Turelim ability - sounds good

Could be 'equipment' and a thrown projectile. If it hits, instant death for a near death human and goop puddle

The thing about facial animations is that apart from the corsair's jack, the humans faces are mostly covered up. We'd have to see some more unmasked versions before it would be worthwhile. I think I'd rather see some varying facial features and swappable heads on the vampires first, so that they don't all look like different coloured versions of the same character. Maybe head varients could show more stages between fledgling and evolved vampires.

Now that there's not so much to spend gold on, I think that should be used to unlock pages in the dark chronicle. To padd it out even further, Psyonix could write down a paragraph or two about the stories they said in the dev stream that they liked to make up when designing the maps.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

More Blood Omen 2 inspired abilities would be great, also hoping for a new Tyrant 'primary' one day which would be close range like Kick is to the reaver.

Why waste time and money on doing facial animations for a multiplayer title?
    For all I care they could take these little one-liners of voice-acting out completely and noone would miss it.

And whats it with people always wanting Co-Op?
    Its a competitive PvP game. What you are asking for is a different game entirely.
    If you want coop, go play Warframe.

Originally Posted by Da_Wolv
    And whats it with people always wanting Co-Op?
    Its a competitive PvP game. What you are asking for is a different game entirely.
    If you want coop, go play Warframe.
    It's both a competitive PvP game and an entry in the Legacy of Kain franchise, one of the few credible poster childen for the concept that good narrative alone is enough to drive interactive media. Your argument from IP rigidity may be a little improper here
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

For all I care they could take these little one-liners of voice-acting out completely and noone would miss it.
    "For all I care...no one would miss it."

What a truly ridiculous sentence. You can't take your one opinion and just project it to everybody else.

And as to the rest...Well, Aevum's covered it (though I disagree that narrative alone drives LoK. Much must be said for the atmosphere, music, etcetera). You may need more familiarity with this series. XD

@Vamp: Definitely needs a chronicle. Every game has one. Put up the lore blogs and more stories like we got when the Crucible was released.

@Vamp: Definitely needs a chronicle. Every game has one.
    SR1 does not though, but I agree, the story bits should be readable in-game too.

Originally Posted by Lord_Aevum
    It's both a competitive PvP game and an entry in the Legacy of Kain franchise, one of the few credible poster childen for the concept that good narrative alone is enough to drive interactive media. Your argument from IP rigidity may be a little improper here
    Yes, it belongs to the IP, but as a game it borrows solely the asthetic and location.
    With a team as small as Psyonix, you cannot make them look at their PvP game and add to it to make a full co-op mode or even a campaign.
    Thats like saying a salad would be better, if it were made out of french fries.

While there might be a lot of players that have been brought on board by the lore connections alone, it does not mean that the game suddenly needs to cater to them. Analogous to my comparison above, thats almost as if you'd claim Heartstone needs a 25-man raid mode and maybe an RTS minigame for good measure.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    "For all I care...no one would miss it."
    What a truly ridiculous sentence. You can't take your one opinion and just project it to everybody else.
    While I might have overexaggerated, the little audio snip-bits do absolutely nothing for the gameplay and are therefor redundant to me. Just like most high-level and ESL players purpusfully use a low-rez config, sacrificing visual fidelity for higher frame rates and 'cleaner' visuals, so does the same logic lead me to turning off all unnecessary sounds that might play over important audio queues.

Although I understand your meaning, in this context I think it's a little more like saying "hmm, well thanks for smothering my salad in salt and ketchup; it does bring back tantalising memories, but the fact remains that I still haven't had french fries in years and hoped those were on offer. I'll buy salad WITH french fries yesterday if you're selling!"

It may be more reasonable to accept the situation, return later, and just order the authentic french fries when they're available, but to say "why not both?" is equally constructive in the long term, even if not something that can be realised right this moment.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Yes, it belongs to the IP, but as a game it borrows solely the asthetic and location.

While there might be a lot of players that have been brought on board by the lore connections alone, it does not mean that the game suddenly needs to cater to them.

the little audio snip-bits do absolutely nothing for the gameplay and are therefor redundant to me.
    1) And its lore and its characters and its mythos and its continuity...

2) A french fry salad WOULD be amazing. In fact, it IS amazing. It's called poutine.

3) This game is an entry in the Legacy of Kain series. Yes, it is obligated to cater to LoK fans by that very fact.

4) If you're out for a game that's just pure gameplay, I can't imagine how you've come to be playing any kind of modern game at all. Games have only grown more complex and detail-oriented with time. The last games devoid of 'gameplay-redundant' elements were on the SNES. o.O

And a note on your analogy to the ESL scene: Yes, they do prefer low-distracting visual configurations. But the rest of us are completely free to pump all those settings to max. What you suggested here is removing the audio bits outright, yet the high-graphics options are not removed for the sake of the ESL scene.