Thread: Mystery of the ritual book

Mystery of the ritual book

Mystery of the ritual book

Can anyone explain to me how the ritual book seen at the beginning of the game (when Erin and Garrett fall through the glass roof) got from the Baron's hand after performing the ritual all the way to the Forbidden Library over a year later?

Was this ever explained or answer alluded to at all?

Originally Posted by EyeOfStone
    Can anyone explain to me how the ritual book seen at the beginning of the game (when Erin and Garrett fall through the glass roof) got from the Baron's hand after performing the ritual all the way to the Forbidden Library over a year later?

Was this ever explained or answer alluded to at all?
    I am guessing that like The Eye from Thief TDP in the haunted cathedral, the book magically vanished when the ritual conducted by the baron went awry then the book went back to the forbidden library without that key ring. Not sure how the baron got hold of the book and the ring in the first place. I did not read all of the notes...
    Last edited by sneaksietaffer; 3rd Apr 2015 at 17:21.

There are two copies of the ritual book and it isn't actually a book.

Taken from Wiki, fyi:

There are two known copies of the book. The first was delivered to Baron Northcrest and used in the initial channeling of the Primal in the prologue of the game. This one was destroyed in the ritual. The second was found in the ancient Keeper Library below the current South Quarter. This one was commissioned to be stolen by Garrett for Orion and later used to once again channel the primal. It's unknown if this version of the book was destroyed.
    The book likely holds its origin with the Keepers from the original Thief series, as it holds a similar locked design to many books depicted in the briefings of The Dark Project (locks on books such as the Compendium of Reproach were in the shape of a Glyph symbol). It contains several unidentified symbols that are implied to be glyphs. Finally, the second copy's presence in the ancient Keeper Library implies its origin.
    The gear shape itself looks similar to Mechanist banner symbol in Thief 2. However, there is no known link between the Mechanists and any mystical energies such as the Primal. The Mechanists focused far more on science and industry.
    On the other hand since its not actually a book, it may not actually be Keeper related but possibly traces back to the Precursors (the same technology that the Mechanists based their technology on), but considering its danger the Keepers would have held it to keep it out of the hands of others who would try to destroy the balance.
    http://thiefgame.wikia.com/wiki/Ritual_Book
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I've called it a book merely because that is what the game itself calls it.

I see you needed to go quote the Wikia to find the answer to my question. Is this official Eidos Montréal information you've referenced?

Lastly, my second question still stands. Was this ever explained in-game, and if not, why?

Also, as I'm new here, is it customary for moderators to chime in on user discussions when no moderating is needed? Not to offend, mind you, just testing the waters. Getting a feel for things and all that. I've been in forums before where moderators thought it was all about them, with a sense of arrogance like "we run the show here". It felt like a popularity contest more than it felt like a forum for the FANS. You know...that's what these communities are here for...the fans. I left many forums just because I got tired of reading moderators opinions and seeing people bullied by the moderators. This might put me in a predisposition to be a bit overly analytical, so I'm just getting this question out in the open now so as to get a feel for the way you moderators interact with the users. I hope I haven't offended by asking. I will be spending the evening reading up on all the lovely posts in this forum to A.) Better inform myself, and B.) Get a better feel for the user/moderator interactions here.
    Last edited by EyeOfStone; 3rd Apr 2015 at 09:13.

I've called it a book merely because that is what the game itself calls it.
    I see you needed to go quote the Wikia to find the answer to my question. Is this official Eidos Montréal information you've referenced?
    Of course.
    I quoted Wiki to offer and share information as any other person might do... so, no, it isn't "official EM information".

Also, as I'm new here, is it customary for moderators to chime in on user discussions when no moderating is needed?
    Welcome EyeOfStone.
    No "moderating" actually took place. EM moderators are volunteers and fans just like you, him and her. This means we can and do join in on discussions like anyone else; which is great. Furthermore, we must follow the ToU just like others must so there is no need to fear that mods "run the show". This has never been the case.
    Hope that explains.
    signature image

Seems odd that there would be TWO copies of the same magical "book". And how do you destroy a book with strange properties? Seems more plausible if the first book that appeared to have been "destroyed" had simply reappeared back at the Keeper Library but in an area where the Baron's minions would not know about.

Originally Posted by sneaksietaffer
    Seems odd that there would be TWO copies....
    It could even be that there are more than two...
    signature image