Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: The Lunar Event

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438

    The Lunar Event

    I am still a week or so away from beginning my write on episode 2. My mind, a myriad of thoughts with implications and suggestions of what may turn out to be. But as I look around this forum I don't see anyone talking about the ending sequence of events - namely the unscheduled lunar eclipse!

    Now, astronomically speaking, this would be an event of unparallelled proportions and hugely significant that such a thing could happen without the astronomical community even knowing about it. And I wonder as I sit here typing if anyone has noticed the little clues scattered about here and there regarding time, space, and alternate dimensions? That's all I am going to say on the matter - I'm not one to give away too many spoilers. It may well turn out to be meaningless, but things tucked away out of plain sight are usually put there for a good reason.

    Search and you shall find.

    Anyone seen Donnie Darko?
    Last edited by julietxjules; 24th Apr 2015 at 05:30.
    signature image

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Lifestream
    Posts
    15,195
    Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    Anyone seen Donnie Darko?

    And the dev team sure has, too:
    anonynamja
    Time travel as a plot device is not uncommon in fiction, but there is considerable variation in how rigorously writers employ this device (in terms of logic and internal consistency), ranging from Primer to Bill and Ted. Where on this continuum would you place Life is Strange?

    Dontnod_Baptiste, Lead Designer, DONTNOD Entertainment
    To keep it short, I’d say Groundhog Day meets Donnie Darko (with of course a slice of The Butterfly Effect)!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Ha! And Oh! I had not read that about "DD." The thought just popped in my mind a few hours ago (I must be behind the times on that one?) and now I'm even more curious especially now I know that the DONTNOD team have actually stated that it could be considered as a hybrid.

    Thanks for the enlightening post, Grimoire.

    Very interesting indeed.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 28th Mar 2015 at 16:04.
    signature image

  4. #4
    I intensely dislike "alternate dimensions" talk, because almost invariably falls flat on its face when it comes to the fact that an alternate dimension is, in fact, an "alternate" dimension, not simply "our dimension twenty years ago."

    It bugged me in Timeline and it will bug me here if they go there.

    I really don't have an opinion either way on "time" or "space."
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Well. Like it or not, it is most definitely an element of the game, but as for how major an element it will be - we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 28th Mar 2015 at 15:41.
    signature image

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    And for the sake of throwing in yet another tangent, whenever the darkness descends upon Max (the storm) she is always alone with no other person in sight, the only thing she sees is her spirit guide, or ally - as Don Juan would have described it - guiding her to where she needs to go for safety.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 28th Mar 2015 at 15:40.
    signature image

  7. #7
    I wonder what that thing is. I'm pretty sure it's more than just "her spirit animal" as Samuel describes it. But as you say this is far afield.

    I'm not particularly adept to astronomy so I couldn't say the significance of the lunar event (outside, obviously, of it being almost impossible without some warning, like the snow).
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    I wonder what that thing is. I'm pretty sure it's more than just "her spirit animal" as Samuel describes it. But as you say this is far afield.

    I'm not particularly adept to astronomy so I couldn't say the significance of the lunar event (outside, obviously, of it being almost impossible without some warning, like the snow).
    In white magic - especially Mexican Indians, Pascua Yaqui tribe as an example - the term ally is used to describe an individual's animal spirit guide. They hold to the belief that everyone has one and it could be any known animal. In Max's case it is a Doe. It is obviously in spirit form because it is translucent, almost ghost-like. The Pascua Yaqui Tribe are descendants of the ancient Uto-Aztec people and these days they are a recognised tribe of native Americans in southern Arizona. This may, and I say may reservedly here, tie in with the totem pole or at least what it symbolically represents. As for the Doe, we see images of it scattered throughout Arcadia Bay and are constantly made aware of it.

    EDIT: For further reading on the subject of spiritual ally's you can check out the works of Carlos Castaneda (before he went strange) and his adventures with the Yaqui Indian Don Juan - it's a tad cultish though.

    The Solar System runs as clockwork and it can be precisely predicted when such an eclipse, or the next scheduled eclipse will take place. So given that this is true and, that the end game has an unscheduled eclipse, in my mind that can only mean one thing.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 28th Mar 2015 at 15:39.
    signature image

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    In white magic - especially Mexican Indians, Pascua Yaqui tribe as an example - the term ally is used to describe an individual's animal spirit guide. They hold to the belief that everyone has one and it could be any known animal. In Max's case it is a Doe. It is obviously in spirit form because it is translucent, almost ghost-like. The Pascua Yaqui Tribe are descendants of the ancient Uto-Aztec people and these days they are a recognised tribe of native Americans in southern Arizona. This may, and I say may reservedly here, tie in with the totem pole or at least what it symbolically represents. As for the Doe, we see images of it scattered throughout Arcadia Bay and are constantly made aware of it.

    EDIT: For further reading on the subject of spiritual ally's you can check out the works of Carlos Castaneda (before he went strange) and his adventures with the Yaqui Indian Don Juan - it's a tad cultish though.

    The Solar System runs as clockwork and it can be precisely predicted when such an eclipse, or the next scheduled eclipse will take place. So given that this is true and, that the end game has an unscheduled eclipse, in my mind that can only mean one thing.
    I understand the concept of a spirit animal, but I personally feel that the doe is something more than just a "guide."



    ...can only mean what one thing? You're teasing information here.

    The only thing I can think of (outside of the painful "an alternate dimension is mixed up with ours") is that they got shifted in time. When did Rachel disappear again? Was it five months ago? And the current game is set in October/November 2013.

    Well...hmm.

    http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH20...l#SE2013May10A

    Edit: looks like that's only visible in Australia and such, though. Maybe this?

    http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH20...l#LE2013Oct18N

    But that's in October, October 18 to be specific, which is ten days in the future.
    Last edited by EternalAmbiguity; 28th Mar 2015 at 21:46.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Regarding your spoiler, yes, I too have considered that possibility and at this stage of affairs it certainly can not be ruled out. Maybe she's stuck and unable to return from wherever she is? Accepting the fact she is still alive.

    Only mean one thing? Yes, I am teasing. But as I have already said - I do not like spilling beans everywhere - plus the fact I would rather keep those thoughts to myself until my own write up.

    As to the cause of the unexpected eclipse: Warren had a specific dialogue moment when he stated that no eclipse was scheduled to take place on that day, and this was a full eclipse. So the date/dates in your link are substantial food for thought. And yes. . .how long has she been gone? I can't recall off-hand right now, but five or six months is the charm.

    Another thing to consider overall, is that the DEV's are tapping into a lot of different concepts all at the same time, and the primary route and cause of everything that is happening is being slowly drip-fed to us as the episodes progress. If anything, it will result in a divergence of events all culminating at a specific time - and that will be the day of the approaching storm.
    signature image

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    Regarding your spoiler, yes, I too have considered that possibility and at this stage of affairs it certainly can not be ruled out. Maybe she's stuck and unable to return from wherever she is? Accepting the fact she is still alive.

    Only mean one thing? Yes, I am teasing. But as I have already said - I do not like spilling beans everywhere - plus the fact I would rather keep those thoughts to myself until my own write up.

    As to the cause of the unexpected eclipse: Warren had a specific dialogue moment when he stated that no eclipse was scheduled to take place on that day. So the date/dates in your link are substantial food for thought. And yes. . .how long has she been gone? I can't recall off-hand right now, but five or six months is the charm.

    Another thing to consider overall, is that the DEV's are tapping into a lot of different concepts all at the same time, and the primary route and cause of everything that is happening is being slowly drip-fed to us as the episodes progress. If anything, it will result in a divergence of events all culminating at a specific time - and that will be the day of the approaching storm.
    Alright, I guess I'll wait until your write-up to see what you have to say.

    I agree, the storm seems to be the crucial event for this season.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post

    I agree, the storm seems to be the crucial event for this season.


    And in my mind. . .if everything stays to form, then none of us will know the whole truth until that moment in time. It is definitely intriguing to say the least.
    signature image

  13. #13
    I don't expect them to explain how this eclipse happened. Any explanation would be ridiculous, so it's probably better not to go there. I'm not even sure if the eclipse in itself means anything. There is this whole nature gone haywire thing happening. First the snow, then the eclipse and eventually the tornado.
    The snow and the eclipse are probably just indicators that something really strange is happening and that the tornado-vision is in fact the future (or a possible future) and not a dream. The eclipse fits perfectly in the lighting scheme of the game and provides a nice end for episode 2.
    The problem is just that it's a lot easier to monitor and understand the moon's movement than the weather.
    Last edited by TheEmissary; 30th Mar 2015 at 08:35.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    The in-game explanation as to why the Moon just happened to totally eclipse the sun at an unscheduled time will obviously not be forthcoming to any scientific degree or satisfaction: as you said - that would be ridiculous. It would be impossible for the Moon to do that unless it had a secondary gravitational force acting upon it other than from the Earth. The Moon is gravitationally locked to the Earth - an example of the clockwork celestial mechanics of our solar system.

    But this is a game, a game where the fabric of time & space are being messed with, and it is the implications of the event itself that I am actually interested in. The moon we all witnessed passing by the sun at end game was not the moon of that day - it couldn't have been.

    So what was it?

    I have my own ideas but they will have to wait just a little longer until they are committed to text. But all the clue pointers are contained in my second paragraph.
    signature image

  15. #15
    A time travel based explanation would be possible of course (I didn't even consider one based on real science). The thing is just that I don't consider Life is Strange to be a SciFi-game about time travel. And even in a SciFi-game it would be difficult to find a reasonable explanation for lunar time travel.
    IMHO they will somehow find a way to make this eclipse a non-issue. It won't be as easy as with the snow, but otherwise we'd have a game about strange astronomical phenomena and that's probably not going to happen.
    Maybe they just say that only people in Arcadia Bay saw the eclipse and no one really knows why, because the moon was someplace else. They could let the people in town question their perception a little bit. Maybe it was just a weather balloon or some kind of optical illusion?
    Then you can still speculate that it had something to do with time travel, but you'll never know what really happened.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
    The thing is just that I don't consider Life is Strange to be a SciFi-game about time travel.
    I do not see how you would think that? Max is constantly travelling back in time to reshape future events and, has no idea when she returns to the present how much the consequences of her actions will impact upon the future. It is a major premise and function of the entire game.

    And to reiterate my point: The Moon we all saw eclipse the Sun at the end game was a Moon that didn't belong in that sector of the sky at that given time!

    Oh. . .and on a personal note. The last total solar eclipse occurred on July 22, 2009 and lasted for 6 minutes, 39 seconds. The best place on the entire planet to watch this astronomical spectacle was in India. I am glad to report that I was actually there for the entire event and it remains the most beautiful and frightening thing I have ever seen.

    And to quote Professor Brian Cox: "It's the solar system coming down and grabbing you by the throat."
    Last edited by julietxjules; 31st Mar 2015 at 13:48.
    signature image

  17. #17
    So far it's more of a coming-of-age teen drama with some additional time travel. The stories about Max friendship with Chloe, missing Rachel, Kate and the Vortex Club clearly dominate the two episodes and I expect it to stay this way.
    It's all about the coices you make and not the time travel. This ability seems to be mostly a tool, to demonstrate what you can and can not change. It allows you to avoid unwanted consequences in the short term, but long-term you might still be ed.

    And that's why I wouldn't count on a comprehensive explanation for the eclipse. Of course it wasn't the regular moon, but a story about another moon appearing out of time&space would sidetrack the previous storylines too much IMHO.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    If that's how you see it - so be it.

    And I haven't got a clue what you mean when you write IMHO?
    signature image

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    630
    The butterfly at the beginning of the first episode was going to be foreshadowing weird stuff big time.

    Considering how far in advance astronomy can predict eclipses, for everyone to be surprised by this one means there's definitely something supernatural or magical going on.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Yes, the Butterfly was a mere herald for greater things to come. It's the things you see and notice rather than the dialogue you hear that speak volumes about what is actually going on.
    signature image

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    And I haven't got a clue what you mean when you write IMHO?
    In My Humble Opinion. It's a fairly common abbreviation.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
    In My Humble Opinion. It's a fairly common abbreviation.
    Fairly common to those who decide to use abbreviation rather than actual words, I prefer to try and make myself clear writing said words - not everyone uses them or understands them. I seldom use them, but that's just me.

    It would have taken you less than 5 seconds to write out those words properly - just saying.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 1st Apr 2015 at 14:04.
    signature image

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    630
    If you've surfed comments/user posts on the Internet for any length of time abbreviations pop up a fair amount as people want to tell everyone else their opinions and do it efficiently(?). Some people prefer to write everything out because they want to or have the time available to write it all out. Some people like to write everything out. Between the many informal conversation settings and texting, abbreviations are probably much more common nowadays. Unless you're on reddit, you can usually ask for clarification for an abbreviation and not get your head chopped off.

    People all post differently: it's just that people who use abbreviations should be prepared to explain them if necessary as they are omitting words with the assumption others will understand them. I sort of think of it like a cultural thing too since sometimes a word will mean different things in different places. And if you're really stumped and don't want to ask, the Internet is an almost bottomless resource. /superofftopic

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]In Max's case it is a Doe. It is obviously in spirit form because it is translucent, almost ghost-like. The Pascua Yaqui Tribe are descendants of the ancient Uto-Aztec people and these days they are a recognised tribe of native Americans in southern Arizona. This may, and I say may reservedly here, tie in with the totem pole or at least what it symbolically represents. As for the Doe, we see images of it scattered throughout Arcadia Bay and are constantly made aware of it.
    Interesting! I saw the doe again in the junk yard and took a photo of it. But... it didn't come out in the photo. I was surprised that Max didn't comment on this, nor did she notice the ghostly appearance of the doe. She acted as if it were a real doe and nothing was out of the ordinary. The whole thing was quite surreal.

    As for the eclipse, yes it certainly makes sense that the moon from a different - future or past - time has intersected their timeline. That could explain the weather events too: perhaps the snow and the tornado have come in to their timeline from the future, a future that is heavily affected by climate change of course.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Barentity View Post
    Interesting! I saw the doe again in the junk yard and took a photo of it. But... it didn't come out in the photo. I was surprised that Max didn't comment on this, nor did she notice the ghostly appearance of the doe. She acted as if it were a real doe and nothing was out of the ordinary. The whole thing was quite surreal.

    As for the eclipse, yes it certainly makes sense that the moon from a different - future or past - time has intersected their timeline. That could explain the weather events too: perhaps the snow and the tornado have come in to their timeline from the future, a future that is heavily affected by climate change of course.
    The Doe is definitely important to Max and the entire story - and like I said, we are constantly being made aware of its ethereal presence. The episodes are really short, too, so anything seen or said in each episode should be duly noted and considered thoughtfully.

    The eclipse is an event that will not be explained to any satisfaction, if anything it may well be a localised thing - meaning that it was only witnessed in Arcadia Bay? Thinking any more about other possible reasons will drive you mad because it doesn't make sense unless you introduce the time-line principle.

    And I agree with you. . .it's very surreal at times.
    signature image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •