Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Episode 2: The Plot Thickens

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438

    Episode 2: The Plot Thickens

    Just finished my first play through of "Out Of Time" and I am numb! I need to go back again and re-run it several more times to balance it all out in my head; then I can gather my thoughts for my write up on episode 2. At least we now know who the two people are that were missing in Max's journal.

    I know it's a personal thing and purely a matter of opinion, but I can honestly say that I have not played a game which is so compelling as this for years!

    Full marks and kudos to Dontnod.

    PLEASE NOTE: THE COMMENT BOX BELOW CONTAINS SPOILERS!
    Last edited by julietxjules; 25th Mar 2015 at 06:40.
    signature image

  2. #2
    I intend to wait a while to play a second, until some time when I know when E3 is coming out, but I wrote my initial impressions in the General Discussion forum and I'll post them here.

    Grimoire or otherwise, please spoiler this if it shouldn't be "revealed" yet, but as far as I understand we can have spoilers in these forums. Again, if I'm wrong let me know and spoiler it if necessary. Anyway:

    SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THROUGH THE WHOLE EPISODE

    I'm only still at the beginning, but I like that we're seeing Max--how do I put this without sounding creepy: NOT in the same exact clothes we saw last episode. I don't know if she'll wind up in them (I hope not), but it's neat that they acknowledge that she's a human being who doesn't wear the same clothes every day.

    I also like that some of the UI elements, like the journal and phone, are integrated into the game world, at least in the room.

    Have to say I like the focus on science, on Max trying to find a scientific solution.

    All the girls' music is rather lol, Victoria's in particular.

    Well...that was MEAN, Victoria! Looked at the link--it's real, but apparently the video was removed.

    Well, similar clothing, but I think the shirt is different. I think.

    Expletive. That expletive little expletive! I'm not sure if Victoria's at fault here (I don't think so because of her words in the shower) but Nathan is an expletive expletive.

    I personally think they're making Kate a little too passive, but I'm glad they aren't going anti-God or anything (far from it).

    I'm very glad that Max doesn't second guess herself here, at least. I feel bad for telling Kate to wait, but I really do think it's the best option.

    Samuel knows something. I am certain.

    Gas is so expensive! :P

    A Canadian. Classic, just classic.

    They're teasing the guy in the RV very strongly.

    Photo at the train yard: I knew that was coming. Well played, very well played.

    The bonfire bottle--I admit I had to look that one up.

    Yikes. Definitely did not shoot. I'm curious how that played out, but I'll wait until the next playthrough to find out.

    That last name! NOT cool!

    Yikes again. That Chloe and the train situation was tense. Well done.

    Hmm. That conversation with Madsen...did not go as I expected. Paints him in a bit better light.

    They think Pluto is a planet!

    "Yang" isn't pronounced like that, it's pronounced "yahng."

    Holy cow. Wow. Just wow.

    ^ That wow was for Max's ability. But for that whole part...wow again. I wonder how differently that goes if you didn't help Kate out at all.

    Yikes! What a choice. Jeez man. Jeez...

    Pretty impressive overall. And kind of sobering. That's all I have for now.

    There might be a couple minor bugs--I know I helped out Warren--I told him to use lots of potassium, and there was a huge explosion and he said "she blinded me with science..." but according to the ending thing I "didn't help him."

    Now that I've had a little time to process the whole thing...

    I'm very glad they've already put in a choice-and-consequence point, that has really serious consequences if you fail (I know Kate can die, but I haven't seen it--I'm not sure I want to honestly). It's good to start "getting those out of the way" now, and it shows that you guys have the chops to pull this off.

    Additionally, as I said in the other thread--please, please don't ignore this choice. As a long-time Bioware fan, I'm well used to being given a choice and it really going nowhere (Virmire Survivor is absent for basically all of ME2 and half ME3). You guys are focusing on this and I REALLY want you to get it right. And I believe you can.

    All in all I still think Victoria is simply mean and catty and not truly malicious like Nathan. She seemed unaware (unless I'm remembering the scene wrong) of the possibility that Nathan drugged Kate in the showers. And I'm curious as to what that ending was about--she seemed sad. I wouldn't be surprised if she was kind of sad about Kate--at least shook up a little, if not sad.

    I really like where they're taking the whole rewind thing, with it causing her pain (her nose bleeds) to there being times where Max can't use it at all. And I also found the "out of time" moment very very interesting as well. That wasn't Max constantly rewinding to get to Kate. That was Max stopping time itself (or again stepping "out of time"). I don't think it's exactly the same thing (or perhaps, it's an extension of the gift), and I hope they delve into that too.

    I noticed three different choices that seemed like things that would take a very long time and either should NOT be a choice because they aren't important, or should NOT be a choice because they ARE important. First, the halloween one in the beginning with Dana (I like how she basically considers Max and Warren a couple, along with someone else I can't remember right now), then Warren asking about the drive-in on Friday, and finally the Vortex Club party. Either these things are NOT important, and they all take up a large amount of time and thus there shouldn't be a choice on whether or not to do them, or they ARE important and again there shouldn't be a choice, because you don't want to miss them.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the game just briefly mentions them, like Max making a comment about going out with Warren and him texting her. And I'd be okay with that.

    I hope they change up their clothes more. Seriously, this is one thing so many games and media do poorly. I could maybe understand keeping Max in her skinny jeans, but at least give her different tops. I don't know how many character models there are (let's see--thin girl (Max Victoria Kate etc.), bigger girl (Alyssa), thin woman (Joyce), bigger woman (Ms. Grant), thin boy (all but Daniel), bigger boy (Danny), thin man (Jefferson/Frank/Madsen), bigger man (Wells, maybe Samuel)--that's actually quite a lot), but I know that characters WITHIN the same character model have various types of clothing on. It wouldn't (it shouldn't) be too much work to just keep that base clothing model in whatever-your-3D-modelling-program-of-choice-is and make a bunch of variations.

    Very interesting about Nathan getting suspended (I fingered him in the ending because both Jefferson and Madsen seemed remorseful, plus the expletive pig drugged Kate). I wonder if that happens in all the endings. He wasn't REALLY featured that much actually in-school anyway, just once each episode, so I don't imagine it being hugely important.

    All in all a lot more ominous and dark than the first episode, from Nathan-or-whoever spray-painting on her wall, to the mysterious phone number, to Nathan's father texting her, to Kate and the extremely creepy music in her room, to Chloe and Frank, to Chloe and the train, to Kate jumping, to that teaser ending.

    I think it's a good thing, overall, but that doesn't mean it makes me...happy, in the most shallow sense if you get my meaning. I don't really enjoy seeing my friend get struck by a train as I try and try to fix things to get her loose, or seeing my friend jump off of a building because she was drugged at a party, but I very much appreciate that they're taking a real approach with this. I feel like they're doing these serious subject matters (at least one) justice.

    As for that teaser, it's obvious they're in the school. I personally think that's either Frank or Nathan. I figure it's Frank, because the timing of the Kate "payoff" (by that I mean the buildup and climax of her personal plot point) makes me think they'll wrap up one in the third episode as well, and Frank was a pretty heavy feature of E2.

    Phew. More later I'm sure.

    Edit: I figure there's something up with Jefferson as well. More than just the whole "had sex with a student" thing, but something a teensy bit more sinister. That ending where he drove away from Wells was a bit suspicious.

    Edit: Looking at the three E3 pictures again, one is the RV, the other is Chloe's house, and the last is the school. Pretty sure it's Frank. Plus the gun in the fourth episode is the same-looking one that Nathan's holding in the E1 picture.

    Edit: I just rewatched the shower scene (I was looking for the songs in Dana's room) and I can confirm that Victoria genuinely thinks that Kate is just faking. She's cruel to Kate, then says something like, "It's not my fault she's a viral slut. I'm sure she had fun. And I bet Nathan hooked her up. He's got the good stuff."
    Last edited by EternalAmbiguity; 25th Mar 2015 at 03:12.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

  3. #3
    Ep2 was a lot of fun. Well done. I love the focus on Kate. I also love the options to react kindly to Victoria and the other mean girls. I do hope Max can befriend them, for "reals".
    signature image

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    I played out the scenario where things went horribly wrong for poor Kate. I was absolutely stunned and wasn't expecting it. I have two other saves I have yet to try out to see any major consequences they may incur. My timeline varies from yours (EternalAmbiguity) a great deal - in my timeline I end up getting Jefferson suspended from going on the trip for the photo competition and then there was poor Kate. It was horrible.

    But sheesh!!

    Last edited by julietxjules; 25th Mar 2015 at 06:56.
    signature image

  5. #5
    I happened to save Kate. I don't know what "horribly wrong" means, but I will try to see that in my next play.
    signature image

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by zackdollars View Post
    I happened to save Kate. I don't know what "horribly wrong" means, but I will try to see that in my next play.
    "Horribly wrong" means that I wasn't trying to give too much away - the game's only been out for a day so I was expecting people to keep away from spoilers!!!

    Anyways...I have opened up two ending scenarios and both of these will bleed over to episode three. I will take my usual couple of weeks to fully explore this episode before I venture in giving too much of my own thoughts away.
    signature image

  7. #7
    Just a small point for EternalAmbiguity. The reason you didn't help Warren was because after speaking to him and selecting either Sodium or Potassium, you should then rewind and speak to Ms. Grant. She tells you that you should use neither, and use Chlorine instead.

    For the ending (major spoilers) below:




















    I blamed David. Simply because I had proof. However, I do not think he is the bad guy. I actually think I should have blamed Nathan, but I had nothing to prove he did anything wrong.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTonTom View Post
    Just a small point for EternalAmbiguity. The reason you didn't help Warren was because after speaking to him and selecting either Sodium or Potassium, you should then rewind and speak to Ms. Grant. She tells you that you should use neither, and use Chlorine instead.
    Well pointed out. I found this solution pretty quickly. People do need to explore each episode thoroughly otherwise they will miss lots of things - some important, and some not so.
    signature image

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    Well pointed out. I found this solution pretty quickly. People do need to explore each episode thoroughly otherwise they will miss lots of things - some important, and some not so.
    Thanks, doing it this way, also gives you a photo opportunity.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTonTom View Post
    Thanks, doing it this way, also gives you a photo opportunity.
    Yes it does. I also like the way that the black & white images in Max's journal suggest what the photo opportunity actually is, but in some cases the image captured is totally different than the one in the journal.
    signature image

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTonTom View Post
    Just a small point for EternalAmbiguity. The reason you didn't help Warren was because after speaking to him and selecting either Sodium or Potassium, you should then rewind and speak to Ms. Grant. She tells you that you should use neither, and use Chlorine instead.
    This science experiment was so weird. I guess they can get away with it because they didn't give all the nitty-gritty details of the experiment... but jeez this experiment bothered me.

    Pure sodium and potassium are both solid at room temperature, so I was really confused when Warren was pouring these into his main beaker. Letting this stuff slide... chlorine?! I hope that's like HCl otherwise everyone in the room would be dead.

    Also, WEAR YOUR SAFETY GEAR WHILE IN THE LAB EVERYONE! That whole situation was asking for trouble. I realize Blackwell is more high schooly so lab coats aren't usually required but at the very least you need to be wearing safety goggles.

    /science

    Did anyone else notice how the bonfire wasn't really a bonfire? Here I am looking for a huge thing when it's actually this tiny, normal-sized campfire hiding in a really bad spot.

    I start looking at the little details and start getting annoyed. I'm probably not exploring the world as much because of it.

  12. #12
    Does anybody know what the last text that Chloe sends you reads? I tried to access it, but Jefferson told me off for having my phone out in class. I then forgot to read it subsequently as I was so caught up in the drama. I am unable to play the final two missions without changing my save.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTonTom View Post
    Does anybody know what the last text that Chloe sends you reads? I tried to access it, but Jefferson told me off for having my phone out in class. I then forgot to read it subsequently as I was so caught up in the drama. I am unable to play the final two missions without changing my save.
    Try rewinding time!

    You can play any chapter in the episode again and you don't have to change any of your previous decisions.
    signature image

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTonTom View Post
    I blamed David. Simply because I had proof. However, I do not think he is the bad guy. I actually think I should have blamed Nathan, but I had nothing to prove he did anything wrong.
    I wanted to blame David too, mostly because of how he behaved w Kate and the files in his garage but I blamed Nathan instead. It's obvious Nathan is spoiled little brat and I want him to know he's on my radar but David is still kind of a mystery. Is he bad or not, I can't tell yet but there is def something strange with him.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by HaS1134 View Post
    I wanted to blame David too, mostly because of how he behaved w Kate and the files in his garage but I blamed Nathan instead. It's obvious Nathan is spoiled little brat and I want him to know he's on my radar but David is still kind of a mystery. Is he bad or not, I can't tell yet but there is def something strange with him.
    I suspect (I accept the fact that I may be wrong) that David Madsen knows far more than he has let us in on so far. I have also stated - by gut feeling - that I feel his heart is in the right place.
    signature image

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    Try rewinding time!

    You can play any chapter in the episode again and you don't have to change any of your previous decisions.
    You can't replay the last three chapters in collectible mode as there are no collectibles in them.

    Also, was it just me, or was this episode really, really short? I know, it might be that I was enjoying myself it went by so fast, but I don't think it was. I felt it was genuinely not very long.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTonTom View Post
    You can't replay the last three chapters in collectible mode as there are no collectibles in them.

    Also, was it just me, or was this episode really, really short? I know, it might be that I was enjoying myself it went by so fast, but I don't think it was. I felt it was genuinely not very long.
    Ok ... as you seem curious and, I guess it comes down to what you did with the gun at the scrapyard - the text went like this.

    Chloe: the boss with the gun, marry me.

    Max: Illegal in Oregon. For now.

    Chloe: (swear words) *** that , elope.
    Last edited by julietxjules; 27th Mar 2015 at 18:08.
    signature image

  18. #18
    Speaking of the plot thickening, Warren is a creep. He creeps out from behind the building outside of Max's dorm every few seconds. Then he creeps back behind the building. I always had a bad feeling about him. Max should hook up with Chloe.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by glitchygirlie View Post
    Speaking of the plot thickening, Warren is a creep. He creeps out from behind the building outside of Max's dorm every few seconds. Then he creeps back behind the building. I always had a bad feeling about him. Max should hook up with Chloe.
    Yes. He does hang around a bit, but right here and now I don't see him as a threat or suspect.

    But sheesh! What do I know?
    signature image

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTonTom View Post
    Just a small point for EternalAmbiguity. The reason you didn't help Warren was because after speaking to him and selecting either Sodium or Potassium, you should then rewind and speak to Ms. Grant. She tells you that you should use neither, and use Chlorine instead.
    Ah, phooey. I never thought of that. The explosion seemed like the "right" thing.

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stellazira View Post
    This science experiment was so weird. I guess they can get away with it because they didn't give all the nitty-gritty details of the experiment... but jeez this experiment bothered me.

    Pure sodium and potassium are both solid at room temperature, so I was really confused when Warren was pouring these into his main beaker. Letting this stuff slide... chlorine?! I hope that's like HCl otherwise everyone in the room would be dead.

    Also, WEAR YOUR SAFETY GEAR WHILE IN THE LAB EVERYONE! That whole situation was asking for trouble. I realize Blackwell is more high schooly so lab coats aren't usually required but at the very least you need to be wearing safety goggles.

    /science
    Ha. It's a video game, you really can't be expecting them to know much about science (especially since that whole lab thing is a very minor side point).

    Even Mass Effect, which was made by the company started by two doctors, has little grasp on science (though Mordin's elements song was funny).

    Quote Originally Posted by glitchygirlie View Post
    Speaking of the plot thickening, Warren is a creep. He creeps out from behind the building outside of Max's dorm every few seconds. Then he creeps back behind the building. I always had a bad feeling about him. Max should hook up with Chloe.
    Are you talking about that point when he's waiting for Max to come out of her dorm so he can ask her out to the movies?

    How exactly is that creepy again? He just likes her a lot.
    Last edited by EternalAmbiguity; 27th Mar 2015 at 22:18.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalAmbiguity View Post
    Ha. It's a video game, you really can't be expecting them to know much about science (especially since that whole lab thing is a very minor side point).
    Plot twist: it's the most important thing in the game. /joking

    I don't think Warren is creepy, but he's not subtle about indicating he likes Max. There are definitely more elegant ways.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellazira View Post
    Plot twist: it's the most important thing in the game. /joking

    I don't think Warren is creepy, but he's not subtle about indicating he likes Max. There are definitely more elegant ways.
    I confess I didn't even think about it. Is that bad for a Chem major? :P

    (I have a long tangent here I've written on another forum I used to frequent, relating to "immersion" in games and how we've learned to expect games to be fake and how I believe "next gen" may upturn a bunch of that, but it's only barely relevant)

    Yeah, he's definitely not subtle, but that's kind of the point. He wants her to know, he's not trying to keep it a secret.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    630
    I'm not sure... either you shouldn't be a Chem major, or you do lots of chem stuff and your brain just turns that part of itself off when you're not doing actual chem stuff.

    ---

    I've been thinking about David. I can't decide if he's a soldier with legitimate issues after serving, or if he's just a bad person and a control freak.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellazira View Post
    I'm not sure... either you shouldn't be a Chem major, or you do lots of chem stuff and your brain just turns that part of itself off when you're not doing actual chem stuff.

    ---

    I've been thinking about David. I can't decide if he's a soldier with legitimate issues after serving, or if he's just a bad person and a control freak.
    I think it's actually that I DON'T do Chem stuff right now (just got out of college and my current job isn't using chemistry) so I'm not using it, plus I have terrible recall.

    I agree with juliet. Both his conversation with Chloe when Max is hiding (which is ironically the one where he seems the most insane) and his conversation with Max at the school in E2 make me think he's just out of his element.

    He may very well be a control freak (seems that way). But that doesn't make him a bad person. They're two separate issues.
    Last edited by EternalAmbiguity; 28th Mar 2015 at 05:24.
    Mooberry the Cow God demands repentance and belief!

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by julietxjules View Post
    Ok ... as you seem curious and, I guess it comes down to what you did with the gun at the scrapyard - the text went like this.

    Chloe: the boss with the gun, marry me.

    Max: Illegal in Oregon. For now.

    Chloe: (swear words) *** that , elope.
    I checked again before work earlier today and I got the same text. Chloe is rarely at loss of words haha.

    Quote Originally Posted by glitchygirlie View Post
    Speaking of the plot thickening, Warren is a creep. He creeps out from behind the building outside of Max's dorm every few seconds. Then he creeps back behind the building. I always had a bad feeling about him. Max should hook up with Chloe.
    I think Warren just has a crush on Max, a big one. I don't see him as a threat.
    IMO, I think many people would like Max & Chloe to become something and the game isn't exactly letting you think otherwise. It adds an interesting dimension to the game and all together with the rest it makes it epic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •