Thread: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD motion blur issue.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD motion blur issue.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD motion blur issue.

Hi everyone, I purchased Type-0 just today and loved the game so far, but I could not let this go unnoticed and thought I should bring this up to the developers. What I would like to talk about is the excessive motion blur in the game.

I'm sure there are a vast majority of fans out there that knows what I'm talking about. I'd like to speak up for those out there that's suffering from this nightmare when all they want to do is enjoy the game but is hindered by the terrible design decision of adding motion blur to the HD remaster of this game.

The player will experience either or both discomfort, inducing nausea, migraines, dizziness or have visibility issues in game when the camera is turning.

I do not understand why this was a good idea in the first place to blur everything on screen other than the GUI and the player controlled character model. 95% of the screen becomes a jumbled mess when motion blur kicks in. This is much to excessive. Motion blur should be used subtly on objects in motion. So... i guess in this case the whole world is "in motion" because everything just BLURS, right....

The game itself requires the player to move and survey the battle field for enemies constantly. This involves nonstop movement and camera panning. In no way does motion blur bring any benefit to the game or player experience other than being a cool effect, and this cool effect stops the player from seeing the beautiful scenery the developers have created, becoming an annoyance and a health issue.

If it is possible at all, please patch the game to remove, reduce or give player control of the motion blur effect.
    Maybe even letting us change camera sensitivity?

Thanks for reading.
    End rant.
    Last edited by Kaze_NZ; 19th Mar 2015 at 12:19.

I agree on this 100%, I havent felt this sick since Bulletstorm, its been 30 minutes since I stopped playing, and my stomach is still feeling bad.

Please, give us an option the alter the motion blur.

I just picked up this game and I am not even the type to get motion sicknesses but after about 20 minutes I had turn this game off I've never played a game that actually brought on slight nausea and little bit of dizziness to where I had to turn it off. Bummer, this isn't playable for me unfortunately. I looked through all the options and nothing to change the camera sensitivity or turn off motion blur. I think it's just a bad combination of both with how fast the camera whips around and the excessive amount of motion blur stacked that just make this unplayable for me at least. A patch to turn it off would be nice but I'm honestly not counting on it so I'm going to trade it in later today, at least the purchase yielded the FFXV demo so not a total wash I guess.

Thumbs Down

The Rules
    Rule #3: Do not use any profanity of any kind on the forums.

I get touretts when I see the motion blur effect. So, I'm out

What the ...

Rule #10: Do not post anything that is completely derogatory. No slam posting.

Ok -.- ... short story long.

I agree with Kaze_NZ.

I have the game and I don't like the irritating motion blur effect. Would you (SE) please put in an option to disable the effect? That would be very kind of you. I can't imagine why you put the mb effect into the game and I think you are wasting processing power to make the game look less appealing.

...it's not a racing game ... ... a little bit is ok, but it's way too much now.
    Last edited by systemchaos; 21st Mar 2015 at 15:44.

I totally agree with Kaze_NZ.

I've never been sick with any game until now and I thought it was only me before I found a lot of messages on the internet with people describing the same symptoms I feel when I play Type-0. I totally can't enjoy the game, it just makes me sick and feel like I'll throw up if I play any longer this game.
    I don't understand what developers wanted to do with that kind of effect. Never seen that before and it was better.

I'm a Final Fantasy fan for long time now and it's a shame I can't enjoy -or even play- a FF game. I feel like I spent my money for nothing...

I have the same issue. I tried getting used to it for 3 hours, and can adjust to the camera okay enough. But the friggen motion blur is just too much. It's painful on the eyes.

Please patch and at least provide options to turn it On/Off and maybe even adjust sensitivity of right stick.
    Until then, the game isn't worth the disc it's printed on.

PS4 games do cause motion sickness if played for a length of time. So does the PS3 if played for a long time. This does go away after playing the games for a while as one gets use to it as there is a lot going on in the newer games. It also has something to do with the flat screen TVs as well as the size of these as the TV will take up a much larger part of ones field of view in comparison to the "older box TVs". I was playing a Playstation after surgery once and thought I was going to die it got so bad.

I did see a blur in the game while running in the Fountain area maybe 5 or 6 times in 10+ hours. While the blur was not significant visibly and was a minute "blur" it was present. You could see a "change" in the texturing mapping is what I would say trying to explain it.

The camera does move fast I would have to agree with that, but I would also say that sometimes the fast camera angle change is needed as well as at times with multiple enemies and playable characters to watch or change to it almost a necessity. If you feel motion sick it is a good idea to stop playing for a while or get up a do something else for a few minutes at least.

Adding three settings to the camera angle in the "Options" menu and letting the player choose between the three camera options like slow, moderate, and fast, fast being the way it is in the day one edition, is a neat thought and as an idea that would be possible. However, it would be up to the player to make the choice as the game play or game play mechanics would be changed and may make the game nearly impossible to play at the one end of the two extremes. The current version of the camera in Final Fantasy Type-0 may have to stay.

I have played other PS4 games as well, and until now, I always yessed when people told me that motion blur is the worst thing in the world but it wasn't until Type 0 HD that I saw such an extreme version of it that it made me agree.

Here's the thing - the game does NOT look amazing, or even great in some areas. Motion blur has always been an easy way to make games look better than they actually are without having to put to much work in.
    Here's another thing, I don't care if some of the texture work isn't that good. I've played PS2 games for long enough that I can handle low-res textures.

However, in this game, they FORCE the motion blur on so that people never get a chance to see that so much of the area doesn't really look that good. Again, I wanna stress that that isn't the worst thing in the world. This IS a port of a PSP game after all, so expecting ZOE or Okami levels of upgrades is somewhat stupid.

As for the camera affecting gameplay, I could not disagree more. The game has a "Toggle" lock-on feature. Even if the camera were SUPER SLOW, pressing the button would automatically target the nearest enemy. In fact, if they do put in a sensitivity option, it would be best to not just leave it at 3 presets but give a slider instead.

It really shouldn't be that hard to implement. Tons of shooters on consoles have been doing this for a while. I'm guessing the reason why most of these things aren't here is because -
    A) Motion blur wasn't necessary on the PSP since the game actually looked like one of the best games on the system.
    B) There was NO CAMERA to speak of on the PSP.

It's likely that this could have been a design oversight on the part of Hexadrive but I'm not likely to believe that since they were the team that fixed the horrible port of ZOE2.

I really hope that enough people complain about it that it forces Square to release a patch to give players the OPTIONS to play how THEY want to play.

P.S. I found a video that demonstrates just how bad things get with the motion blur -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKh1x0c7ReQ

Please Squaresoft do something on this - I Payed 70 EURO for this and now its unplayable.

Oh, the link. That's one of the meanings of motion blur? There are a few so I'm not sure I knew that. I did not see that much in terms of motion blur of that type. There is a whole lot of that type of motion blur in Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. PVZ: Garden Warfare also has that slider for the camera speed, but that slider for the camera speed has been developed by someone else and I'm not so positive that it falls under Patent Pending like a video game options menu. The camera speed is an idea that fits into the genre. But, I can not stress enough that changing a game in that way can irreparably damage the gameplay or in the case of this game possibly the combat. You could "rip off" the slider at the cost of possibly a few million dollars and a game title by violating the intellectual property rights.

The motion blur in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKh1x0c7ReQ and the link also explains what motion blur is has been fixed. While spinning around and with the camera as well there is no physical blur-ing or blending of the graphic rendering. Moving the camera fast does not lead to a physical blur at all on the PS4.

Originally Posted by n_i_g_e_
    that slider for the camera speed has been developed by someone else and I'm not so positive that it falls under Patent Pending like a video game options menu. The camera speed is an idea that fits into the genre. But, I can not stress enough that changing a game in that way can irreparably damage the gameplay or in the case of this game possibly the combat. You could "rip off" the slider at the cost of possibly a few million dollars and a game title by violating the intellectual property rights.
    A slider is just a slider. You don't pay royalties for it. Just because you put in a slider for adjusting camera speed, that doesn't make it "violate intellectual property rights". That's because the term "camera speed" or "slider" is not something that EA or Activision have a friggen trademark on.

The motion blur in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKh1x0c7ReQ and the link also explains what motion blur is has been fixed. While spinning around and with the camera as well there is no physical blur-ing or blending of the graphic rendering. Moving the camera fast does not lead to a physical blur at all on the PS4.
    That is a lie. The video was recorded on March 20, 2015. That's 3 days AFTER the official release of the game and since then, there have been no patches whatsoever that could have "fixed" it. But hey, if you're not convinced, here's another video in which Ace is exploring his classroom, just moving the camera around after moving to a position. It's still an extreme blur.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2-yS4_dr1c

I don't see why you're defending this issue so much. I LIKE the game, even though it has a few issues. I WANT it to be something that I can encourage my friends to buy. But in this state, I wouldn't want ANYONE to play it because it would just be a sub-par experience.

Is it really that wrong for a console game to have a basic set of options to tailor the game to the user's experience instead of the other way around?

Dear Square Enix,

Final Fantasy Type-O HD is a wonderful game, but unfortunately I am unable to play without feeling sick due to how sensitive the right analog stick camera is. Even the smallest nudge when moving your character moves the camera almost 90 degrees, and this coupled with the motion blur and the fact that you can only 'run' and not 'walk' with your character makes exploring very difficult. Is there any chance whatsoever that the team could include a camera sensitivity option? I would very much appreciate it, as it stands I can't play the game.

There are many articles and reviews commenting on the camera sensitivity, and even Kotaku recommends players to take the anti motion sickness drug Dramamine before playing in this article: http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-f...-hd-1691993778

We shouldn't have to do this, please, please fix this for us.

Kind Regards,

Sammy.
    "I can help you, if that's what you want."

The motion blur is really horrible. I was playing on PSP the imported japanese version years back and there was no problem like this. It even looks IMO much better on the small low resolution screen of my PSP compared to the HD version. It feels like it was ported in a hurry to just make some easy money and this makes me feel ripped off. After the MP (how it was changed in order to work without MP mode of the PSP version on the Ps4/One version feels somehow unthought-through) was abandoned at last SqaureEnix could have done the rest right if they want us pay the full retail price.

So ... I still have 0% trophies and played the game for max. 10 minutes (until my eyes exploded because of the cam).

... which means I payed again 100€ (+ guide) for a SE game that I'm not playing (just like FFXIII-3 + guide).

Yes, I love Type-0, and am one of the ones that waited all these years, and now I can't play it because the motion blur makes me puke! Please, PLEASE give us an option to disable it, so I can get my money's worth.

I just got angry about this again, because... It's really great, isn't it? Just think about how amazingly dense this is:
    You try to look around to see the environment ...AND THEY BLUR IT and set the focus on the character. This makes so much perfect sense.

The best part of the blur effect is when it kicks in or goes away. I love the delayed oddness followed by seeing only smear.

If they add this effect to FFXV then it's over. I'll send FFXV right back. I'll have to wait for twitch streamers and youtube videos until I can unbox my pre-ordered game. THANKS SE! I can only hope they can't add it, because the demo was already having frame rate issues...

I completely agree. I usually like a slight motion blur in some games, for example racing games, but in this game it is way too much. I could play a racing game and go at 200 mph and it still wouldn't be using as much motion blur as this game uses when you run around on foot.

Please add an option to reduce and/or turn off the motion blur. It is extremely disorienting, and i actually get mentally exhausted from looking at it. This doesn't happen to me with any other games. I'm not sure if I'll even be able to complete the game if this isn't fixed.

I also hope that people who stumble across this thread and are in agreement would also take their time to reply to the thread, so that SE can more easily see that it is an issue that affects a lot of people.
    Last edited by pseudopad; 6th Apr 2015 at 18:34.

PS4 games do cause motion sickness if played for a length of time. So does the PS3 if played for a long time. This does go away after playing the games for a while as one gets use to it as there is a lot going on in the newer games. It also has something to do with the flat screen TVs as well as the size of these as the TV will take up a much larger part of ones field of view in comparison to the "older box TVs". I was playing a Playstation after surgery once and thought I was going to die it got so bad.
    I've played games for an entire day really close to a 42" TV on both PS3 and PS4, but I've never encountered motion sickness, headaches or dizziness. In Type 0, I start feeling it after just 10 minutes. It is quite simply an issue with this particular game in this case, not PS3 or PS4 games in general, even if *some* people get it from playing games in general.

Have you guys messaged Square Support about it? https://support.eu.square-enix.com/c...4761234&daxx=0

Hopefully they'll see just how many people are experiencing the issue and will patch a camera sensitivity slider in, and maybe an option to turn off Motion Blur. It makes me feel sick too
    Last edited by Sammy_Kneen; 22nd Apr 2015 at 17:29.
    "I can help you, if that's what you want."

I'm really gutted that Square-enix has decided to to ignore this issue, Square-enix was one of the few companies that I had trust left and I was willing the buy their games day 1, not anymore, there has been alot of complaints on facebook, on these forums several threads and there isn't even a reply from them to aknowledge us. I'm not mad anymore, just immensly dissapointed at Square-enix, from now on, I won't buy any Square-enix games new from store. only second hand games. My trust is gone, and I doubt Square-enix will ever return to the same level it once was.
    Fix it, don't fix it, ignore the issue, I don't care anymore. I put it up for sale with only few hours clocked in. Hopefully someone will buy it.

Hey SE. Just letting you know that I sold Type-0 because I couldn't get used to the motion blur ...

I just filed a support ticket. I was reminded of this issue after seeing the PC announcement for the game (I certainly haven't been able to play because it makes me sick!). SE: “It has had new graphical options for high-end PC users added, as well as improved battle and camera controls and Steam community features.” IF THEY CAN DO THAT, WHY CANT THEY PATCH THE ORIGINAL CONSOLE VERSION, WHICH IS THE REASON THE PC VERSION WILL EXIST?!?!?!