Thread: Thief Worth buying?

Thief Worth buying?

Thief Worth buying?

I have never played a Thief game but I have played Dishonored and loved that game and Thief seems to be similar (or Dishonored is similar to Thief since older Thief came first.) Either way, I can get the game on Amazon right now for 16.99 USD (well once it is in stock again). From gameplay videos I have seen it looks pretty interesting. But I also heard negative things about the game (though I hear negative things about every game). So that is it, is it worth buying? Thanks!

Side note: Looking into Assassin's Creed Liberation HD also...or AC3 season pass, and Thief. But only enough for one at the moment.

If possible please non biased. I know there are many who did not like this game. I am not looking for all "hell yeah game was great" just be opened minded.

Thanks again!

Thief is much more of a stealth game than Dishonored, so keep that in mind. It doesn't have the huge, open levels or level of freedom that Dishonored offers, either. Writing isn't Dishonored's strongest suit, but the writing is weaker in Thief as well.

Given the choice between AC3 and Thief, I think it's a wash. Neither game is particularly good. I played Liberation on the Vita and it was awful, so I can't imagine the HD version is much better.

I'd recommend Deus Ex: Human Revolution or even Thief: Deadly Shadows instead if you're looking for more of that Dishonored itch. They're more approachable than the older (and honestly, better) games, but they are still very good.

Originally Posted by SquareWastesMyTime
    Thief is much more of a stealth game than Dishonored, so keep that in mind. It doesn't have the huge, open levels or level of freedom that Dishonored offers, either. Writing isn't Dishonored's strongest suit, but the writing is weaker in Thief as well.

Given the choice between AC3 and Thief, I think it's a wash. Neither game is particularly good. I played Liberation on the Vita and it was awful, so I can't imagine the HD version is much better.

I'd recommend Deus Ex: Human Revolution or even Thief: Deadly Shadows instead if you're looking for more of that Dishonored itch. They're more approachable than the older (and honestly, better) games, but they are still very good.
    AC3 is great actually, but that is for another place. I played Deus Ex: HR already and it was great. Thief just caught my eye because it seems good and seems fun for a stealth game. But then I research it and find people hating it. I mean it is a reboot, I often wonder though if it wasn't a reboot and a new IP would it be getting this much hate?

Originally Posted by MegaToxic
    AC3 is great actually, but that is for another place. I played Deus Ex: HR already and it was great. Thief just caught my eye because it seems good and seems fun for a stealth game. But then I research it and find people hating it. I mean it is a reboot, I often wonder though if it wasn't a reboot and a new IP would it be getting this much hate?
    In my opinion the reboot Thief ain't so bad despite it's shortcomings but in it's current form after the game is finished there is not much one can do with it except play the only two DLC s since no other DLC are in the works as far as I know and no fanmissions either. If you have the console version at least you can shelve the disc for later use but the PC version will have to sit on the hard drive unless you wish to delete it and go through the re-install hassle later on...

I've also played Dishonored and personally Thief is nothing like it. Dishonored has a stealth option but Thief is PURE stealth. If you enjoy a game that is immersive and rewards you for being patient and observant then Thief is perfect. The story has a few issues but is much more engaging than others would have you believe. Garrett is very introverted and quiet. You HAVE to watch the cut scenes and read the documents to understand the story and this is where most people got pissy (good lord don't make them read that's asking too much).

The controls are intuitive and easy to use once you are used to them. The world is very rich with lots of fun dialog to overhear and secrets to find. The custom difficulty options gives this game great replay value if you really like to challenge yourself. The challenge maps are a blast as is the Bank Heist DLC. Nothing more satisfying as thief than entering a bank vault undetected.

My advice, if you like engaging immersive gameplay that offers multiple ways to accomplish objectives and a unique and understated main character, Thief is a great choice. I bought a copy for each of my consoles and my PC at full price and would gladly do it again.

Originally Posted by MegaToxic
    Having Thief in the title has definitely harmed the game's reputation. There are massive expectations when you stick such a storied name onto a game.

That said, the game still would still have a lot of problems even if it was divorced from the series entirely. The control scheme is frustrating; you can't jump at will, and the obstacles you can climb or navigate over are inconsistent at best. It's like a broken first person version of the AC parkour system. This is exacerbated by the annoying layout of the main hub, which you will be spending A LOT of time in.

The story feels like it was chopped up and stitched back together multiple times, to the point that I was just left scratching my head after a lot of the cutscenes.

The stealth mechanics are clunkier and less polished than in Dishonored (let alone previous Thief games), even though Thief is almost a pure stealth game.

Is the game a complete disaster? No. But it has some serious issues. At $16 bucks it might be worth at least trying it, I guess.

Originally Posted by brohne
    Garrett is very introverted and quiet. You HAVE to watch the cut scenes and read the documents to understand the story and this is where most people got pissy (good lord don't make them read that's asking too much).
    No thanks. Reading documents in previous Thief games, Deus Ex games, and even Dishonored was a joy. The flavor text was interesting and managed to build up the world while still being intrinsically interesting (it usually told fun little stories). The flavor text in Thief (2014) is tedious and boring to slog through. I'm not going to give the story any extra points for that.

Originally Posted by SquareWastesMyTime
    Having Thief in the title has definitely harmed the game's reputation. There are massive expectations when you stick such a storied name onto a game.

That said, the game still would still have a lot of problems even if it was divorced from the series entirely. The control scheme is frustrating; you can't jump at will, and the obstacles you can climb or navigate over are inconsistent at best. It's like a broken first person version of the AC parkour system. This is exacerbated by the annoying layout of the main hub, which you will be spending A LOT of time in.

The story feels like it was chopped up and stitched back together multiple times, to the point that I was just left scratching my head after a lot of the cutscenes.

The stealth mechanics are clunkier and less polished than in Dishonored (let alone previous Thief games), even though Thief is almost a pure stealth game.

Is the game a complete disaster? No. But it has some serious issues. At $16 bucks it might be worth at least trying it, I guess.

No thanks. Reading documents in previous Thief games, Deus Ex games, and even Dishonored was a joy. The flavor text was interesting and managed to build up the world while still being intrinsically interesting (it usually told fun little stories). The flavor text in Thief (2014) is tedious and boring to slog through. I'm not going to give the story any extra points for that.
    I found the stealth in Dishonored laughable and once you have blink and can slow time there is no point to being stealthy. There is also no challenge left. Going from playing Garrett to playing Corvo is like going from driving a Ducati to a Mac Truck. Corvo is a clumsy and heavy handed avatar while Garrett at least feels and acts like a Master Thief and has an actual personality.

The Order:1886 doesn't let you climb or jump at will either and is much more restrictive than Thief. At least in Thief there are multiple paths you can choose if you are alert and observant. Thief is not AC and is not meant to be and I'm glad. I didn't want another AC.

The serious issues you mention are more personal opinion than actual issues. Yes the story needed fleshing out but overall it's a better story than Dishonored and much more challenging to play. I personally find the main hub a lot of fun. The City is beautifully rendered in amazing detail and things change as you finish each chapter so you are rewarded for going back to the main hub between chapters.

I enjoyed finding and reading the documents and found them just as interesting as in previous games and true to the feel of the era the game is set in. The ones in Chapter 5 in particular painted a horrifying picture of what happened there.

All in all for the price OP would do best to decide for themselves.

We're talking opinion here. If someone wants objective fact, they can go read the system requirements and a list of the game's features.

Using a single system from Assassin's Creed as a touchstone for a single feature in Thief =/= saying that Thief is or should be like Assassin's Creed. Au contraire, placing that AC-style contextual movement system into the game was a very bad idea -- that was my point.

As for the Dishonored, I believe that enjoying the stealth requires commitment from the player to not use some of the powers (especially slow time and dark vision). That could certainly be tallied against the game, but I think it's to its credit. I appreciate a game with enough flexibility that I can maximize the satisfaction I get from its systems by tailoring my playstyle certain ways. The stealth isn't as good as Thief 1-3, but it's better than most other sneaky games.

The new Thief is not worth buying at that price. Steam currently has it for $29.99, too, which is a pricing step in the wrong direction. I'd say wait until it's half the price of Thief I/Thief II, then maybe buy it. In the meantime, you could play Thief I and II, and The Dark Mod, and various fan missions. Thief I and II are each $6.99 on Steam, yet they should actually be more expensive than the new Thief, in my opinion.

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    On the PS3, Plus members get the game as a free download. Not sure if it still avail but I think it may be.

I found Thief a lot of fun to play - more fun than Deadly Shadows.
    The game has good replay value too.
    So, yeah, it is worth buying. Enjoy!
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Thief is fun to play, although I think the previous installments had a way bigger impact than this game.

Definitely buy for the full price. Thief is more fun than previous games, and I'm glad our EM masters were wise enough to avoid repeating the same mistakes the previous developers did. <:^)

Hum... sorry to disagree with you...
    - You have already played the previous Thief and enjoyed them, don't buy the last Thief, you could be disappointed...
    - You have never played the previous Thief or didn't have fun with them... buy Thief
    or simply buy it and you make your own opinion about it, it's certainly the best choice...

I finished playing Dishonored and will start playing the Knife of Dunwall downloaded content soon. I really enjoyed how the game played and wish that Thief was more like this. I am also playing Alien Isolation. This game is super scary and puts a lot of emphasis on stealth and evasion. It needs to be played slow and patiently. Trying to rush it will only get one clobbered by the Alien...LOL

No. It's not worth it.
    Game looks good but thats it. Story and everything else is so cliche and stereotypical it's painfull. The level design and everything is like you are rolled around in a wheelchair, you cannot do anything yourself. You cannot even jump!
    The main character is a joke and his little sidekick is a rebellious teenage girl that ruins the whole game. (It's not a joke and the whole story is anchored to this rebel teenage girl and her stupid actions.)
    There is not depth and logic to the story and all glory from the old thief trilogy should not be confused with this game that is not a "thief" game at all. If this game was not named after the old series it would be rated 3/10 and that is only because of the good graphics. Gameplay and story is 2/10 at best.
    If you think this game looks interesting, get the old Thief 1,2,3 instead. They are really good 10/10 masterpieces and this Thief 4/reboot is just a piece of garbage in my opinion.

I think you guys are not givin it a try, i have played the game and i found it quite entertaining, it is not a long game! so yeah.. i thing you should give it a try, i dont know if you play on pc, ps4 or xbox, but i give you the link if you want to buy it https://gocdkeys.com/thief-4-master-...tion-pc-cd-key