Thread: Loading Quotations

Loading Quotations

  1. #1

    Loading Quotations

    Having a look at the latest update I saw the new banners with the quotes from the games on them. Very nice.

    Then I saw that the loading screen had altered, as least for me - advertising the Assassins Shroud Scout skin. That I thought, was not so nice. You can try to advertise skins in the main menus. But then I had a thought - what about lore quotations over loading screens? Some multiplayer games and others have them, to help flesh out the world whenever they want a new audience. Imagine loading Sommerdam with a load from Kain up there like -

    "Blood is the life." - Kain, Emperor of Nosgoth

    or others like----

    "Kain is defied, the clans tell tales of him. Few know the truth. He was mortal once, as were we all." - Raziel, patriarch of Clan Razielim

    "Drink. Drink deep and indulge your gift." - Vorador, Vampire of the Black forest

    "I had crossed death for this moment, my mind was empty save for one thought. I would kill." - Kain, Emperor of Nosgoth

    "Would you be rid of the plaque if only one city was cleansed? Would you spare one wolf in the pack that devastated your herd? Then let us destroy them all!" - Moebius, leader of the second crusade

    "I must have blood! Bring me blood! or feel the wrath of your God!" Turel, patriarch of Clan Turelim


    Have a big library of them, randomized so its never the same quote wise in a row - really gather some interest in the well written narrative.

  2. #2
    It's a good idea, but some of those are very much in the context of what was happening at the time they were said. I'd try to think of phrases that can apply in more situations like a mantra, a world view or personal philosophy used to inspire the vampire troops. Like where Rahab says "You, of all of us, should respect the power bestowed by a limitation overcome.", it would sound a bit better if the first part of the sentence were more generalised rather than directed at a particular person. For example, "We will teach these humans to respect the power bestowed by a limitation overcome".
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 12th Mar 2015 at 20:33.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    It's a good idea, but some of those are very much in the context of what was happening at the time they were said. I'd try to think of phrases that can apply in more situations like a mantra, a world view or personal philosophy used to inspire the vampire troops.
    Blood is the life, Vae Victis, suffering to the conquered, Blood is the life, we are gods - dark gods and it is our duty to thin the herd.

    Stuff like that for certain but little nuggets of story here and there where its applicable wouldn't go amis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    67
    Sounds like a good idea to me, there could also be short facts about the clans and the human classes background.
    The problem I see is that the loading screen is quite short (at least for me).
    "There's some grim satisfaction in infuriating you." -Raziel

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Persiphas
    Sounds like a good idea to me, there could also be short facts about the clans and the human classes background.
    The problem I see is that the loading screen is quite short (at least for me).

    Any and all lore to interest newbies would be good. As for being quick - well sometimes it lags and you can read it quite well. Besides, the loading screen for me just now was replaced with an ad for the Scouts skin - so I think you could substitute it with a lore quote no problem

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by CountEyokir
    Any and all lore to interest newbies would be good. As for being quick - well sometimes it lags and you can read it quite well. Besides, the loading screen for me just now was replaced with an ad for the Scouts skin - so I think you could substitute it with a lore quote no problem
    I still think the main menu needs its own take on the Dark Diary/Chronicle. Either text entries supplemented by pictures or proper cutscenes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,526
    Inclusion of lore in the game and not just through the blog or as more than just one line descriptions of items in the store would be a nice addition.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    I still think the main menu needs its own take on the Dark Diary/Chronicle. Either text entries supplemented by pictures or proper cutscenes.
    Unlockable Lore section would be nice, perhaps if you level up a certain class enough you get short stories and background lore to do with it - or if you play in a certain map a certain number of times

    Still think randomised lore quotes on loading screens would work better then adds for skins, would make the marketing side of this game seem less desperate

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by CountEyokir
    Unlockable Lore section would be nice, perhaps if you level up a certain class enough you get short stories and background lore to do with it - or if you play in a certain map a certain number of times

    Still think randomised lore quotes on loading screens would work better then adds for skins, would make the marketing side of this game seem less desperate
    Leveling would be the better option.

Tags for this Thread