Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Does the whip work on flying sentinels?

Does the whip work on flying sentinels?

Does the whip work on flying sentinels?

Like, one who has just kidnapped your team mate and hasn't got far off the ground. Wondering if anyone has tried this

Whip does no pull a Sentinel out of the air.

Curse you game logic!

Could it in the future? It would be awesome fun to capture a sentinel like that The speed of using the whip might be enough not to make it op; it would be quite hard to react in time if a sentinel makes a surprise attack instead of coming straight at you from where you can see it.

You can always bola a sentinel out of the air, just an FYI. It's one of my favorite things in the game to do!
    My nosgoth referral link: http://bit.ly/1JPbc9B
    signature image

whip doesnt work that way use bola

Yea use the bola or use the prophet class to immobilise!

Whip SHOULD work that way!!! That'd be awesome

bola is gonna be more fun , watch them land in front of your whole team of firing squad and execute him on the spot.

I would rather get an ability to mount a flying sentinel when using a Whip. Hunters riding Sentinels and shooting around is something this game desperately needs.

Jokes. But then again just imagine that.

+1 to whipping sents out of the air.

Originally Posted by OnlyLogic
    Whip SHOULD work that way!!! That'd be awesome

It'd be too easy. They have to go right into you to grab you and they telegraph it with a screech. Any idiot could whip a sent out of the air if it were changed to do that.

Not being able to whip them out of the air is one of trade offs for getting that quick damage+stun. If you're a hunter and you want to drop a sent from the air use a bola.
    Last edited by Aggggh; 19th Aug 2014 at 10:31.

Remember you can still deal a decent 250 chunk of damage with whip (without cc), when flying sentinel is in range. So if he catched someone nearby and your timing is very decent, you can instantly safe comrade in need. For dropping sentinels right from the sky use bola.

Someone suggested today that it would be great to carry human bodies up walls. That'd be GREAT!! Insanely overpowered, but great. It's the same with whipping sentinels out of the air. Would make the game hugely more fun, but would also be stupidly overpowered.

It would be interesting to see a new variation of Kidnap/Abduct that lets the victim keep shooting (down at the ground) while being carried around. Of course, there would be some benefit on the attacker's side - more damage, longer carry time, etc...

I just think it would be fun to get a brief chance to fire from above as a human, and would open up some interesting tactical options for the Sentinel (carrying them above other vamps becomes less appealing, carrying them off alone to finish them off becomes more appealing)...

+1, Greg. There'll need to be a few tweaks but ultimately I like it.

While I think whipping sentinels out of the sky would be overpowered, a possible mechanic would be to interrupt abduct/kidnap as soon as the whip hits. This way you can use whip defensively to save yourself/your teammates from getting abducted by whipping the sentinel prior to pickup, or save an abducted teammate by whipping the sentinel after pickup.

Originally Posted by __jazz
    While I think whipping sentinels out of the sky would be overpowered, a possible mechanic would be to interrupt abduct/kidnap as soon as the whip hits. This way you can use whip defensively to save yourself/your teammates from getting abducted by whipping the sentinel prior to pickup, or save an abducted teammate by whipping the sentinel after pickup.
    That would make Sentinel almost useless and whip completely OP.

I would like to see some work on Sentinel though, I think on a regular pub game missing a kidnap should be more punishable. Many times as human if you dodge the kidnap the Sentinel just has to turn 180 degrees and can easily grab you as you can't dodge again. Maybe reducing the time window you have to pick someone or limiting how much you can turn while using the ability.

Another Sentinel thing that needs work is it's speed. If you jump from a ledge and press A/D you get an insane amount of speed which if you add the annoying visual bug that makes the Sentinel "bump" on the air when flying close to or against walls makes it really hard to hit them.
    IF | malga.

Originally Posted by malgaa
    That would make Sentinel almost useless and whip completely OP.
    For this case, I concerned myself mainly with the mismatch in regards to the player expectation, not with hunter or sentinel over-/underpoweredenss. It just seems very wrong from a player perspective that you can whip that sentinel right in the face and it continues to kidnap you like nothing happened. I tried to provide a way that would not be as devastating as picking the sentinel out of the sky while still meeting player expectation. Still, I see your point that it might nevertheless change balancing unfavorably.

Originally Posted by __jazz
    I remember it working this way after the whip was added. Not exactly sure when it was changed, but I remember being able to do this, and the sentinel would get knocked off balance onto the ground, preventing kidnapping altogether.

Flying or not, the whip is supposed to have a stagger effect. I don't see why it should be any different just because you're flying. With all due respect, hitting a moving target which is presumably slightly above you doesn't strike me as the easiest thing to do. I often play as both a hunter and sentinel myself, and don't personally see it as much of an issue if I could get whipped out of the air.
    Perhaps it could be different from a scout's knockdown, you don't fall prone, you just cease to fly. If the sentinel is good enough they might even be able to press space quick enough to keep flying.

Guys, you know that whip won't work against sentinels. YOU HAVE TO NAE NAE!

Whip does stop reaver pounce, though timing must be perfect

The reason why whip cancels kidnap/pounce after it hits some one is because it does 250 damage, which is the damage threshold to break CC abilities (except Banish and Throw I believe)
    In-game: Sirshua, being a sir everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last