Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official TR10 FAQ

Official TR10 FAQ

This thread is for Q&As regarding TR10. Answers are all officially coming from Crystal. Check back periodically for updates!

Q: How many locations will Rise of the Tomb Raider take place in?

A: We’ve confirmed that Lara will travel to diverse landscapes within Siberia in Rise of the Tomb Raider. We've also confirmed at least one additional location, but aren't going into details just yet.

Q: Will we see Lara transforming from young to adult in this game or will we start with an adult Lara, much like classic Lara?

A: The game takes place approximately one year after the events of Tomb Raider 2013. Lara Croft is a changed woman, as what she witnessed, and the actions she was forced to take to protect herself and her crewmates, has taken a toll. While she’s still learning about herself and what she’s capable of, she’s also grown and become more confident in her abilities. She will continue to transform throughout Rise of the Tomb Raider, as she faces survival situations and scenarios that will push her limits.

Q: Will the story in Rise of the Tomb Raider be related to Himiko and Yamatai?

A: You won’t have to play the reboot in order to jump into Rise of the Tomb Raider. But obviously we hope you will, because we’re quite proud of it.

That being said, there are narrative threads that will carry over from Lara’s last adventure. Jonah returns as a companion and compass for Lara. Additionally, in Rise of the Tomb Raider Lara is driven to seek answers for what she glimpsed on Yamatai. She saw something she couldn’t explain in Himiko – proof of life after death, of an immortal soul. After escaping Yamatai all evidence was covered up and her testimony discredited. Lara is driven to uncover the truth and prove that what happened to her, and her crewmates, was real. She hunts down the source of a similar legend, one of the Lost City of Kitezh.

Q: Will Reyes make an appearance in Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: The only two characters we’ve revealed at this time are Lara and Jonah. You’ll have to wait for more details on narrative and additional characters!

---------------------------------------

Forum Q&A session #20:

1) Chocolate_shake: Will there be references to the events/characters of the comics and the novel in the game?

2A) Blacktron: The legend of Kitezh appears to be a rather obscure story, how did the writing team come into contact with it? AND 2B) TranceTrouble: How did the dev-team come up with some of the new area's in the next TR game, did they find inspiration from locations over the world by previous visits, or did the development team plan some expeditions to feel the vibe of some areas?

3) Yansazonov: Will Lara talk or /learn Russian?

4) TranceTrouble: In the last TR(2013) water and sand had a lot of influence on Lara her appearance and we also seen some sort of day/night cycling. IMO it would be great to see this expanded in the next TR game with more Day/Night and weather cycling. Can you tell us some more if this will be expanded in the next game and if this will have any influences on Lara, the environment or mission-events?

5) AlexWeiss: What unique mechanics/general aspects of ROTTR do you think will keep the game not only grounded to what the franchise is at its core, but also successfully compete in the adventure genre of modern gaming?

6)_Ninja_: It has been mentioned that we can craft different bows. Can we craft different arrows too?

7) kaasia: Will the game include more stealth elements than the last one?

8) Gemma_Darkmoon_: Will the cloth and herb system mentioned be an addition to health regen or move healing back to a 'medi pack' style system?

------------------------

Q: Will all abilities learned in Tomb Raider’s reboot be available in the beginning of the next game?

A: Game Informer’s coverage of ROTTR discusses how upgrades have been improved to deepen the survival theme and systems in our game. As with Tomb Raider (2013), you’ll need to earn XP to learn new skills, and additionally find crafting ingredients of varying rarity to upgrade your weapons and tools. We’ll go deeper into these systems at a later date.

Q: Will we see Lara transforming from young to adult in this game or will we start with an adult Lara, much like classic Lara?

A: The game takes place approximately one year after the events of Tomb Raider 2013. Lara Croft is a changed woman, as what she witnessed, and the actions she was forced to take to protect herself and her crewmates, has taken a toll. While she’s still learning about herself and what she’s capable of, she’s also grown and become more confident in her abilities. She will continue to transform throughout Rise of the Tomb Raider, as she faces survival situations and scenarios that will push her limits.

Q: Will dual pistols return in Rise of the Tomb Raider or in the future?

A: Lara’s new signature weapons are those that fit the survival theme and have multiple uses. Both her bow and axe can be used as a tool or a weapon, and additionally offer stealth takedowns in combat. These make them thematically a strong choice for Lara Croft. As to whether Lara’s twin pistols will ever return, we never say never, but aren’t providing details at this time.

Q: Are you going to use TressFX 3.0 and Direct X12 in ROTTR?

A: We haven’t released details on this yet, but rest assured we’re looking forward to sharing more about the tech we’re using.

Q: You said Crystal have sent screenshots and artwork of the game to GI. Did they show all the images on their magazine? Or there's maybe more and they are about to show them sometime this month?

A: We can’t go into details about what we’ve given press as the coverage is ongoing. After the month of features is complete we can provide a round-up of all assets.

Q: During the release of rebooted Tomb Raider in 2013, you told fans many times that this was a reboot and a fresh start of the series. So, where does Temple of Osiris fit in? Is Lara from LCTOO the rebooted Lara? Or classic Lara?

A: Currently we have two brands that feature Lara Croft as a character – the Tomb Raider brand, and the Lara Croft brand. Moving forward, any game titled “Tomb Raider” will star the new, rebooted Lara Croft and continue the narrative from our 2013 title. This Lara is also featured in the Dark Horse comics, and Brady Games’ Ten Thousand Immortals.

With the debut of LCTOO, we cemented the Lara Croft brand as a nostalgic tribute to classic Croft and the early Tomb Raider games.

These two brands exist independent of each other, and do not take place in the same timeline. Rebooted Lara will not necessarily “grow up” to be Lara from Temple of Osiris. However, from time to time we may have some content crossovers – such as the Tomb Raider 2013 costume packs in LCTOO.

Q: Will you consider to publish GoL in box edition too? Maybe some dual pack with LCTOO? There is only one box edition of GoL in the world, the German.

A: There are no plans to do so at this time, but we always listen to our fans so if it’s something that is of great interest we’ll consider it.

---------------------------

Q: Are the graphics on the screenshots final? Is it Alpha or Beta?

A: Some areas of the game are more polished than others, but we consider everything a work-in-progress until Rise of the Tomb Raider goes gold.

Q: How much time (timeline/ year in the game story) has passed from Tomb Raider to Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: Approximately 1 year has passed since the events of Tomb Raider 2013.

Q: What is the approximate game length of Rise of the Tomb Raider? Will it be more/equal/less than Tomb Raider?

A: As we told Game Informer, we’re looking for a comparable critical path experience – meaning, if you run through the narrative of the game we’d expect it to take a similar amount of time. However, we’re greatly expanding upon content that will keep fans who want a deeper experience busy. This comes in the form of the crafting and upgrade system, the translation system, secret tombs, and more. We’ll have more details on these features in the future.

------------------------

Q: Lara's Jacket is red in the screenshots, and olive drab in the concept art and trailer. Why?

A: Because she's wearing different outfits!

Q: Will Lara have more weapons in addition to those seen in the concept art?

A: As with Tomb Raider, Lara will scavenge weapons and upgrade her kit throughout the game. We'll talk a bit more about these systems in the future.

-----------------------

Q: Was Brian Horton inspired by the face of Camilla Luddington in Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: While Camilla Luddington now lends extra emotion through Mova’s impressive facial capture technology, Lara’s facial model is an evolution of the one in Tomb Raider, and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. We’ll go into the process of bringing Lara to life on next-gen in-depth at a later date.

Q: Will Simone Rene be the final model (body) in ROTTR?

A: As Brian addressed in the most recent podcast, he often blends photography and renders together for key pieces of promotional art. Simone Rene was a model for a pair of these sessions. As with the above, Lara’s in-game model is an evolution of the one in Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, with improvements in fidelity and realism. It is not based off a single person.

---------------------------------------

Forum Q&A session #21:

Bretty_boy: How much will the environment effect Lara? Will Lara's clothes rip and get dirty like in the previous game? Will snow stick to her hair and clothes, and melt in warmer environments?

Tihocan: Will Lara have any further hand-to-hand/close quarters combat skills (not as "weapon contextual" as in TR2013)

NSW_pride: Will Lara be able to sprint in ROTTR?

-Rai--: How limited is the team in developing a new theme for Tomb Raider considering survival action is the new main concept? (as opposed to action adventure TR used to have).

zackdollars: I hated the combat QTE's in TR9 (ie, mash button escape from wolf bite). I loved the open crate/door QTE's though (not sure if that's a QTE). Is there internal debate regarding implementation of QTE's?

Q: “To what extent has the work on Tomb Raider 2013 been built upon during the development of Rise of the Tomb Raider? And can you share any examples?”

A: (Brian Horton) For Rise, we wanted to build on the foundation we established on for Tomb Raider 2013 so what we did was take a lot of the things we liked and use it as a foundation especially as we were doing early prototypes. Everything was the same foundation of the game. From there, we started thinking what are the things we can grow and build on? That’s where we started thinking about survivalist systems, to think about the living world and how to make hubs more engaging, to build that survival sandbox and really double down on some things we introduced in our desperate combat in the last game. Now that Lara’s more confident and aware of her surroundings, we’re starting to introduce more mechanics on how she can have this guerilla style in her combat. A lot of what we were trying to do was build on the foundation of 2013 and bring something new so as her as a character has evolved, so have the abilities.

Q: “Will the hubs be utilized within the story path allowing for a slower pace rather than the ‘go go go’ urgency of before?”

A: (Brian Horton) We always give the player an option to explore hubs. We introduce them in places where it’s a natural place to take a break and really exploit them. But there are those players out there that want to continue along the main story line and we don’t prevent the player from doing that. So it’s always one of those things where we want to give the player a feeling like they can take a break from the main story and really explore and find some challenge tombs or do some hunting or pick up some collectibles. But, I think we allow for a pacing that keeps the story motivating but gives an opportunity to use the hubs.

Q: “How difficult is it to acknowledge and/or reflect on the legacy of Tomb Raider while at the same time follow your vision for the reboot?”

A: (Brian Horton) We’re always respectful of the past. We always reflect on what came before us. But, as we’ve said in past interviews, this is a reimagining of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft as a character so she will never quite evolve into the classic, Core vision of what Lara was but we will always try to make sure she’s maintaining the spirit and the franchise maintains the spirit of what its always been through our modern lens. So what we try to do is think about how would Lara evolve from where she was in the last experience that she did and what challenges would we want to embrace her with that would make her continue her legacy? I mean, this is Rise of the Tomb Raider – it is the continuing journey of her finding her destiny.

Q: "Is archaeology still at the heart of Lara’s experience with tomb raiding because she tends to leave quite a bit of damage behind her sometimes."

A: (Brian Horton) The idea of being a Tomb Raider isn’t purely an archaeologist. She has the soul of an archaeologist. She has the desire to find these ancient relics and societies and the mysteries of the world but often she’s presented these life and death situations and when you’re in a situation like that, she’s going to take a route that’s going to allow her to survive. Oftentimes, that’s going to leave a bit of damage on the backend of it. She’s not there to do anything other than, hopefully, seek out the truth and, in doing so, you know, she’s putting her life on the line and she does have a reverence for ancient cultures and societies and artifacts and relics. Obviously we exploit that in the relic system too and you know, there’s a lot of reverence for the things she finds. But, at the same time, it is a survival action game and there is going to be a little bit of collateral damage.

Q: “Darrell called Rise of the Tomb Raider something truly special and the most ambitious Tomb Raider ever built…”

A: (Brian Horton) We’ve had a fantastic opportunity on the sequel to utilize the generation switch. To bring another level of fidelity and performance into Lara and the supporting cast members so that’s a huge thing for us – to continue to make Lara the most believable character in video games. The other thing is the scope and the breadth of the game – we’ve often talked of our hubs being larger than the last game but we’ve really tried to make them something larger and we’ve talked about them being three times the size. Not only is it larger, it’s more dense. We’ve put a lot more work into the systems of the game, not only to make these hubs larger but to make these hubs even more immersive and interactive. Every single system in our pillar, every aspect of the game, we’ve built on the last. So, yes, we would definitely say it’s the most ambitious game we’ve made.

Q: "What are the challenges we’re going to see Lara encounter and how will she rise to the occasion?"

A: (Brian Horton) I can tell you that stakes are always an important part to being a Tomb Raider. The idea that Lara is going after some of these secret truths in the most distant and hostile places in the world mean that she’s going to have to up her game. We see in the Game Informer article that she’s coming prepared and you know, she’s not going in there unaware of the danger that she’s going to face. But even going prepared, there’s things that she will discover and encounter that she’ll have to learn to take on and overcome. So, trying not to be specific because I don’t want to give spoilers, just know that the challenges that we present Lara and the player are building up on the same patterns of you introduced to something that’s extremely overwhelming, you learn, you grow, evolve and eventually, hopefully master.

Q: "What’s your process for doing renders?

A: (Brian Horton) So, I was very fortunate to learn some photography in the past few years. I’ve always been a painter but, my fine art has brought me to photography. I’ve been doing it now for about 6 years and when we did the cover for Tomb Raider 2013, we worked for an amazing agency and I was along for the ride and I was like, “Wow, this is a great way to get some high resolution promotional images.” So the goal is always – what is the image? What is the content that we’re trying to create? And Bren (Brenoch Adams - Art Director) is really the guy that drives what that content is. We’ll have discussions about it but he tends to come up with the images and iconography and then once we agree on that iconography through concept, then we bring a model in, we do wardrobe, make-up if needed and we do pose explorations. I set up my studio lights, which I generally have two of those, and I have a Canon 63D and I try to get the highest resolutions I can, either for me or for Bren, for us to work render images into from the model that Kam Yu (Principal Artist) so we’re using all of our game assets this time, blended with photography to create some of those cover images that you see on Game Informer or our international press.

Q: Can you explain this tweet from Camilla?

A: Camilla is having fun with fans!

Q: Is Nathan McCree working on a remaster of the original Tomb Raider theme?

A: We don't have any news on the topic at this time.

Q: When is the classic Tomb Raider coming to Windows Phone? When is Tomb Raider II coming to Android? When will Tomb Raider II for iOS will receive an update with Brazilian Portuguese?

A: At this moment I'm not aware of any plans involving the above projects. I'll be sure to loop you if/when they are brought to my attention.

Q: "Will you be remaking Tomb Raider II for the 20-year anniversary?"

A: The team at Crystal is fully dedicated to ensuring Rise of the Tomb Raider is the best game it can possibly be, and as such there isn't a remake of Tomb Raider II in the plans. That being said, we do have several very fun and diverse projects underway to celebrate two decades of Tomb Raider.

------------------------

Forum Q&A #22 - April 2015

sonecaboss: I would love to know if you're planning to make adjustments to the amount of ammo that you can gather. In the last game I didn't like the fact that I could find lots of ammo everywhere I go. I don't remember ever being out of ammo. In a game with a theme and a setting like this, where there're few resources, we should feel the need to save ammo and think about smart ways to finish the enemy, like stealth kills. I think at least the hard mode should have something like that and not just tougher enemies.

LaraCroftRox: Is Lara's character model the same as in 2013 Tomb Raider, If not, why did it change?

A) Adobe Artist: Will ROTTR feature multiple outfit options for Lara to be included in the core game design (so NOT DLC), either as mission/level start up options, or unlockables for replay?
    B) Chriss_02: Will there be any more outfits excluding the 2 ones already shown?

Peritvs: Can 360 users expect the hub areas to be as large, dense, and/or interactive as the Xbox One counterpart? Due to the increased size of hubs, can we expect collectible and secret items to be more plentiful? Not that they weren't in the previous installment?

MagnaBass18: How closely are you watching Nixxes in terms of the development of the game for X360 ?

Additional answers from Q&A #22 in the latest podcast:

---------------

Update May 30, 2015

Q: Are Amazon listings of a book called "Lara Croft and the Blade of Gwynevere" official?

A: Yes, this will be a new novel set in the Lara Croft universe. More details at a later date.

Q: Is Rise of the Tomb Raider still being developed for the Xbox 360?

A: Yes. As confirmed by a Microsoft spokesperson, Rise of the Tomb Raider is still in development for Xbox 360. Rise of the Tomb Raider will be launching on Xbox One and Xbox 360 in Holiday 2015.

-------------------------

Forum Q&A 23 - June 2, 2015

A_BIG_HOUSE: WHAT KIND OF NEW MEDIA CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE DURING/AFTER E3?

RAYCROFT93: IN THE TRAILER FOR RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER AND IN THE COMICS WE SEE SIGNS OF LARA SUFFERING FROM PTSD. HOW DO YOU GUYS PLAN ON MAKING THAT EVIDENT IN THE GAMEPLAY?

ERROR96: THE YOUNG LARA OF THE WAS REALLY INTO TOMB AND ARCHAEOLOGY WITH HER TRAVELS WITH VON CROY BUT THE TR2013 REMARKED 'I HATE TOMBS' SO WILL LARA HAVE MORE OF A PASSION FOR TOMB RAIDING IN ROTTR?

KXTNISS: HOW MUCH EFFECT WILL PAIN AND INJURIES HAVE ON LARA'S CHARACTER, MOOD, BEHAVIOR AND LOOK?

DANIELSUN_: WHAT SORT OF FEATURES WILL WE SEE IN THE GAME THAT WILL IMPROVE RE PLAYABILITY? -DANIELSUN_

WINTERSOLDIERLTE: WHO IS IT THAT COMES UP WITH THE TROPHIES/ACHIEVEMENTS (MEANING WHO DECIDES WHAT A TROPHY/ACHIEVEMENT IS AWARDED FOR) AND WHO COMES UP WITH THEIR NAMES?

ALEXWEISS: WILL WE SEE LARGE TOMBS AS A PART OF THE MAIN STORY (MEANING NOT CHALLENGE TOMBS) AND IF SO, HOW LARGE ARE THEY?

KXTNISS: HOW IS IT THAT JONAH WAS CHOSEN TO COMPANION LARA?

Also! Other questions you asked elsewhere!

Was the “Discover the Legend Within” trailer CG or in-game footage?

Who are the explorers from the “Discover the Legend Within” trailer?

-------------------

Forum Q&A 24 (special E3 edition) - June 18, 2015

Q: Is there an option to turn off hints, icons, and white ledges?

Noah Hughes: I know how much you guys aren’t fans of white ledges, but it is one of those things where on the main path we use it somewhat aggressively for players who aren’t that great at adventure games so they do not get completely lost and stuck. But we also try to be much lighter on the touch with those as you get into the secondary and optional exploration spaces. It is never any fun to jump at all kinds of things and not know what you can attach to and what you can’t attach to, so it’s always a matter of on the main path trying to avoid people flunking out too easily and off the path just making it clear what you can and can’t do, but it is a delicate balance.

(Two notes to add on this, as some of the recording for this did not carry over. My own impression in the demo, and agreed to by the group, is that there are some spots where the lighting is used smartly and naturally to make the "ledges" pop a bit, but it's not the overt white paint look from before. Many spots where the sun wasn't shining, for instance, did not appear to have a real extreme highlight to them. Also, the second part of this question was in regards to whether or not we can turn the hints off. Noah said yes we can )

Q: Will we have any playable flashbacks of Lara and Sam to help explain their friendship?

Noah Hughes: That’s a good question. We’re not revealing everything about the story, but I will say that Sam doesn’t play a significant part in this story. But you’ll have to wait and see how we use flashbacks and the like.

Q: Is it again only going to be dark-themed or are there some cheerful playable moments?

Noah Hughes: We always try to capture a variety of emotions. We do thrust Lara into intense life and death situations, but we also try to capture that sense of success and human relationships and other facets of storytelling. As an example, one of my favorite moments in the last game was Lara climbing the radio tower and that sense of victory and success, and you really felt connected to Lara and the other survivors in that moment. So we’re always trying to create those moments for the player, especially in game and on the sticks and not just in cinematics.

Q: When can you announce the release for other platforms?

Noah Hughes: Unfortunately we don’t have any details that we can talk about related to other platforms.

Q: Will the main theme stay the same?

Noah Hughes: This is a standalone story so you can start at the beginning of this story and understand everything about it but we also tried to create through-lines between the two. As an example, in the last game Lara glimpses the immortal queen but before she can really understand what it represents it slips through her fingers and she can’t explain what she saw. But she recognizes that it’s important and if this myth is true then other myths might be true. So we really have Lara pursuing some validation that this is not just a myth but an underlying truth about humanity. So that’s one of the through-lines that carries from the last game to this game.

The other thing is Lara’s arc as a character...it’s a new place in the arc but it is a continuation of her journey. So the idea that she was forged into a survivor and what we wanted to do more than anything this time was show how those survival skills weren’t just incidental to tomb raiding, but they were actually critical to tomb raiding. The secrets of the world are hidden in the most hostile and remote locations on earth, otherwise they would have already been found and it really takes someone like Lara with all of her survival skills in order to uncover them.

So we have a lot of thematic continuity between the games, but also it is an exciting new adventure that stands on its own.

Q: Will Lara’s new range of outfits affect Lara and her abilities?

Noah Hughes: Outfits for the most part have aesthetic functions in the game allowing players to express their vision for Lara. The skills allow you to choose what you’re upgrading and what skills you’re buying, and the outfits allow you to express your aesthetics. But I will say that we may be introducing some amount of gameplay effects to some outfits so that is something that we’re looking at.

Q: Are we going to see dual pistols in this game or the next?

Noah Hughes: Ah, the dual pistols...I think it’s fair to say it’s probably a bit spoilery to get into it one way or another. But we do recognize the anticipation for Lara and everything people love about her as an icon so we are trying to bring back some of those things people love but you’ll have to wait and see what they are.

Q: Will the player lose themselves exploring the world you crafted?

Noah Hughes: That’s actually an important one since that was a creative goal I gave when we talked about larger spaces. Part of that’s fun because it’s next-gen platform and we can say, “Hey, now spaces can be bigger!” but we don’t want bigger for bigger’s sake. Part of why we want bigger is the sense that you’re immersed in this environment and it’s big enough that you can actually get lost a little bit. It adds a whole different feeling. So for us we blend very linear exciting roller coaster ride-style gameplay but when you plop into this HUBs they can be overwhelming and you can even get lost in them, and that adds to the sense of immersion and being plunged into this hostile and alien landscape.

But part of what’s important is that once you start to acquire gear and start to be able to unlock all these things that you couldn’t initially interact with, your proficiency in that space then becomes a measure of your success. So in some ways the scale of HUBs really are just scaling up that environmental opponent that we love in the game.

Q: From what I saw, Lara’s emotional state just pulls in the player even more, probably.

Noah Hughes: Yeah and we not only tried to thrust the player into this variety of emotional experiences, both highs and lows, but we tried to make sure that Lara as a character feels grounded in that moment. I think that’s one of the things we get feedback quite often is that one of the things people love about game is Lara almost feels alive. That she feels more human and real than a lot of game avatars and part of that is just connected with the world -- you see her placing her hands on things that make you feel like she knows where she is. But a lot of its emotional state too, when she’s walking through a scary area and you kind of spin the camera around and you see that nervousness on Lara’s face it really does connect Lara and the player to the experience they’re having.

Q: Are you planning on creating an actual boss fight this time?

Noah Hughes: Well I don’t want to speak too soon, I guess people will have to judge for themselves whether it’s a true boss fight or not, because it sounds like there’s some criteria that I may not be aware of. But it is important to have climax to our combat challenges and those do express themselves in boss fights but again they’re not really the most important opponent in the game. We really do blend the environment itself as a character and an enemy but ultimately that can’t test your combat skills in the same way enemies and bosses do, and a lot of what we try to do is not necessarily make the end all be all of single bosses but we really try to over time introduce new enemy archetypes that keep the player having to learn new skills to overcome what they’re facing. And also not just human enemies but even things like the bear that we saw in the demo. These might not qualify as a full boss fight but along the journey you see these spikes of intensity that really test your mettle, and that goes from the first bear fight all the way to the end of the game.

Q: Will there be an expert difficulty that pushes the player more than the regular hard difficulty?

Noah Hughes: I don’t think I can talk about actual specifics but one of the things I was very adamant about this time was to introduce a skill difficulty level that did push the players farther than any difficulty level in the last game. So we do have that fourth difficulty level and we’ll be sharing more news about it in the future.

Q: Will silent takedowns or sneaking be possible at all in combat scenes or will Lara still be confronted by hundreds of enemies at once like in the Shanty Town?

Noah Hughes: There are still some ambush situations where the enemies are very aware of Lara and her position and so in these situations she is forced to fight, but one of the things we’ve done as a vision for making the combat most appropriate to Lara as a character, and for some of our audience who likes to not just win through twitch skill but win through intelligence and resourcefulness, is pre-combat when you come upon enemies who aren’t aware of you. And so we tried to create more situations where Lara is able to initiate combat on her own terms or even in some cases avoid combat entirely, and also give you more tools to use in those situations. So a lot of her crafting skills will reward players who assess the environment first and then they can take things that they collected in the environment and use them to modify things in the environment. So for example we have the gas can in the Bear Valley demo which Lara can combine with cloth to turn into a giant molotov bomb. And that’s just an example of not only creating that moment where players can initiate combat, but give them more ways to do that.

Also we saw trees and swimming, and another cool thing about them is they add traversal and exploration to the game, but they also add opportunities for concealment from the enemies and then silent takedowns. So actually one of my very favorite things in the game is to be underwater and do a silent takedown from within the water, and that feels super empowering.

Q: Will we be able to play as other characters in the game?

Noah Hughes: We don’t have anything to announce as it relates to that.

Q: Because of the outcry for not releasing the game on other platforms, will we get some compensation like all DLCs?

Noah Hughes: Unfortunately I still can’t announce anything as it relates to other platforms, but I understand the question and I sympathize with the situation.

Q: Alongside the expanded set of animal enemies, will there be a wider variety of human enemies?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, we have a variety of enemies. A lot of what we tried to do was focus on gameplay functions of the enemies, so we do try to make sure that their behavior and their weapons and their armor really challenge the player to confront them in different ways. And we do try to push the personalities to a broad variety of enemy types. You’ll see lower ranked enemies behaving a little differently than higher ranked enemies, almost similar to the scavengers in the last game. So we still try to tease out that personality and that humanity, but a lot of the time with enemies it’s about evoking different gameplay challenges.

Having said that we do have other characters in the game so I’m excited to share more about that in the future.

Q: Will the much-loved and missed classic outfit make a return, either story-related or as an unlockable?

Noah Hughes: I’m not sure but I’ll take that as a request.

Q: What sort of improvements have you made to Lara’s hair?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, we actually did push the hair. As you know, Lara’s fidelity as a character is important to us and that includes most notably her new facial animation system that we’re doing which I think is getting a lot better at capturing that human emotion. At times I can even see some of Camilla’s idiosyncrasies coming through but most importantly you see emotion coming through. When Lara’s passionate her eyes almost light up, which is just amazing.

And then the hair’s the other part of it. It’s part of her as a character and I think we’re starting to get somewhere with it that it really adds a lot to the animation the fact that it does simulate physically and really adds a certain amount of dynamics. But I think that’s the other great thing about it -- Lara moves and her hair moves and we have more on things on her outfit like her axes and things on her belt, so we really do try to bring the character to life through secondary motion.

Q: How many locations are there?

Noah Hughes: There are the two main locations. So there may be another location or two featured in cinematics, but in gameplay we’re focusing on the Siberia location and Syria. Having said that, the Siberian location is much more varied in its area types than we’ve seen so far, so it’s important to realize that just as with the island we really tried to push a variety of environments. You can expect to uncover new hidden pockets of Siberia that are really going to push the environmental variety.

Q: Will the platforming sections in Rise be less automated and scripted than the previous game? Will the platforming be more challenging as the game progresses?

Noah Hughes: We’re not going to change things entirely. We’re also sensitive to times where it feels like you should have missed a jump and the game makes you make the jump, that that does diminish my skill as a player. Having said that we don’t like the platforming to feel too finicky or frustrating and so it is a balancing act, but we are sensitive to minimizing the automation in the platforming. Also we have tried to introduce more challenge. As a team we asked, “Can we have Lara die more from non-combat situations than she did in the last game?” So we brought back traps and things like that as well as platforming challenge. So we do hope that the environment itself is challenging your skills as a player.

Q: Will there be a lot--like 15 minimum--different outfits and color schemes to choose from?

Noah Hughes: I think it is something we value so we’re going to get as many as we can. I would assume we’re going to get more than the last game but we don’t have any numbers to announce.

Q: Will the environment be more complex this time around?

Noah Hughes: I think some things have made the environment more complex. We talked about scale and being able to get lost a little bit and that does add some complexity to just navigating the larger Hub spaces, but also it’s great to have things like the trees and swimming because not only can you jump from platform to platform and climb ledges, but you have to start thinking, “Oh, where can I get if I climb this tree or if I go into that water what am I gonna find?”

So it does sort of expand the layers of exploration that you have in a given space. So hopefully people will feel that there is more explanation packed into any given space, especially given the scale.

Q: Will she need to eat or drink?

Noah Hughes: No specifics as it relates to that. As you know we really do push the action side of survival action, but we also are very compelled by being stranded and doing everything you can to survive through collecting resources and things like that so it’s an interesting balancing act. It’s not a critical part of the game at all, no.

Q: Will there be physical damages and such evident on Lara?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, we have a lot of goals to make Lara feel grounded in the environment and one of those is just how the environment affects her. So when she’s in the snow you’ll see snow on her clothes and in her hair and she’ll shiver and when she gets wet her clothes will get wet and when she gets damaged she’ll show damage on the character. Even just rolling around in the dirt she’ll get dirty, then when you get in the water she’ll get cleaned off. It’s very subtle and it’s not critical to the gameplay, but it’s part of what again makes her feel a little more real and connected to the experience.

Q: Will there be a downloadable demo of the game?

Noah Hughes: Again, I don’t think I can announce anything relating to that.

Q: Will North America be getting a physical edition for the PC?

Noah Hughes: Unfortunately we have no additional platform announcements.

Q: Will finding artifacts and relics return?

Noah Hughes: Yeah, artifacts and relics do return, as well as documents. And of the things we included this time is the language system so not only are you getting sort of completionist rewards as well as secondary narrative and backstory, you also advance your language skill which allows you to translate certain things in the environment. So, it is something we love as an exploration reward and it’s something we’ve sort of pushed farther with the language system.

-------------------

Update July 18 2015

Q: In what way is Eidos Montreal assisting with Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: Eidos Montreal has been a fantastic partner once again, assisting with elevating and polishing many areas of the game. In particular they’ve focused on challenge tombs, which we think you’ll find both unique and a true test of puzzle-solving skills.

Q: Will there be a demo for Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: We don’t have any plans to release a demo at this time. However, we will be showcasing a diverse array of gameplay footage online and at events worldwide prior to the November 10 launch.

Q: Any news on a collector’s edition?

A: None just yet!

Q: Is the Jeep playable in the Syria level of Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: The opening cutscene in Syria features Lara in a jeep driven by a hired guide. As with the reboot, our focus remains on empowering Lara’s traversal through equipment and upgrades rather than vehicles.

Q: Is the “Hope’s Bastion” Amazon pre-order artwork official?

A: Yes! We’ll have more information on preorder incentives at a later date, including a round-up of information so you can decide where you’d like to make your purchase.

Q: Will you upload HQ footage of the avalanche gameplay from E3?

A: You can view the entire Xbox Briefing online at this time, or a cut of just our Rise segment. If we release it as a standalone asset at a later date, we’ll be sure to let you know.

-------------------

July 25, 2015

Q: Will the PC and PS4 versions be the same price as the Microsoft versions of the game?

A: We are not discussing pricing at this time. We’ll release more details related to both the PC and PlayStation 4 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider as the release dates draw nearer.

Q: Will this game be available for any other platforms, such as PlayStation 3, Mac, Nintendo, mobile or VR?

A: Currently we only have plans to release ROTTR on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4 and PC platforms.

Q: What are the exact release dates for PS4 and PC? Will they definitely launch in the announced time frame?

A: We are announcing releases of Early 2016 for PC and Holiday 2016 for PS4. We have no further details on timing at this time.

Q: Who will be the publisher of PC and PS4 versions? Will Square Enix be the publisher of both PC and PS4 versions?

A: Square Enix will publish the PC and PS4 versions in all territories.

Q: Who is developing the PC and PlayStation 4 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: Crystal Dynamics will lead the development on both versions.

--------------------

Forum Q&A #25 - 15 August, 2015

a_big_house: You've hinted at there being side characters and them giving you side missions. But are these side missions simply "Go collect 20 of these" or more story based

AntRaidsTombs: Will finishers also be available in ROTTR, like there was in TR 2013?

Tihocan: Will Rise of the Tomb Raider have weapons akin to/based on real world examples?

Error96_: In the E3 footage Lara gives a lot of hints to the player and as someone who likes the exploration element I wondered is there the option to turn hints off?

WinterSoldierLTE : When a new generation of consoles arrives (being the X1 in this case) how steep is the learning curve when developing for them, and how helpful (if at all) was doing the 'Definitive Edition' of 'TR2013' in prepping for/executing work for it?

Kxtniss: Will replaying the game be more interesting than the last time? What did you change to improve that?

Rai: It's been revealed that Lara can craft and use poison arrows against her enemies. Can enemies use poison arrows against Lara and will this affect gameplay in some way, slow Lara or kill her?

RayCroft93: Syria and Siberia are two very different locations. Will the 16 resources change based on those 2 locations? Will there be resources from animals or nature that we can only receive in Syria/Siberia?

Murphdawg1: What games did you use for inspiration when including the tree climbing and take down mechanics?

mIcKyByRnE: Do you feel this game is more about implementing classic Tomb Raider elements, combined with what you've already achieved in the 2013 reboot or a whole host of new gameplay mechanics we've never seen before?

Gemma_Darkmoon_: Does the lack of mention of PS3 in the SE statement mean there will be no PS3 version of the game?

----------------------

October 19, 2015 - Season Pass & Expeditions FAQ

Expeditions

Q: What are Expeditions?

A: Expeditions are additional modes of gameplay in Rise of the Tomb Raider. Each mode allows you to play “Expedition Cards” to modify your experience, and complete challenges for credits, which can be then used to acquire additional cards. At launch, the Expeditions you’ll be able to play include Chapter Replay, Chapter Replay Elite, Score Attack, and Remnant Resistance.

Q: Will Expeditions be available on the Xbox 360 version of the game?

A: Yes. Extra gameplay modes will be available on both Xbox One and Xbox 360 with the same content.

Q: What are Chapter Replay and Chapter Replay Elite?

A: The Chapter Replay modes allow you to select and replay parts of Rise of the Tomb Raider’s campaign. In Chapter Replay, you start the chapter with pre-determined inventory and skills. In Chapter Replay Elite, you start with the gear in your latest profile data from the campaign.

Q: Can you replay the entire game in Chapter Replay Elite mode?

A: In Chapter Replay and Chapter Replay Elite you choose specific chapters to replay rather than starting the game over in full.

Q: What is Remnant Resistance?

A: Remnant Resistance is an objective-based challenge mode that is played in Rise’s large “hub” spaces. You can choose to play existing Remnant Resistance missions made by your friends and the Tomb Raider community, or create your own mission. A Remnant Resistance mission is composed of 5 objectives, which can involve things like taking down a high value target, collecting intel documents, hunting animals, and more. Additionally, as the creator you can set Lara up with the costume and weapons of your choice, as well as apply up to five of the standard expedition cards as well. Lastly, you can choose where the challenge takes place, at what time, and what weather is active.

The harder the mission, the higher the reward (in credits). However, you must beat your own mission for it to be posted to the leaderboards. Difficulty can vary from objective to objective. For example, a normal difficulty objective to rescue hostages, followed by a high difficulty objective to take down a bear. Players familiar with Hitman: Absolution’s Contracts Mode should feel right at home in Remnant Resistance.

Q: Are cards kept forever once I get them, or are they consumable?

A: It depends on the card! The majority of cards are consumed once you’ve completed a mode. If you’ve created a Score Attack mission that is too difficult to complete and choose to quit, you won’t lose your cards.

Some cards are what we call “Foil Cards.” Foils are cards that are not consumed on use. All costume and weapon cards are foils to make sure Remnant Resistance players don’t have to worry about setting up player inventory.

Q: Are there any cards that can only be acquired with microtransactions or by buying the seasons pass? Is Big Head Mode gated behind a pay wall?

A: Cards associated with pre-orders and DLC will be available with their associated downloadable content. The Big Head Mode card is not a pre-order exclusive, and has a chance to show up in any card pack.

Q: Do I have to buy or earn credits to start using cards when I first play the game?
    A: You’re automatically given a starter set of cards when you first begin playing so you can experiment with our extra game modes. Earning or purchasing additional cards beyond the starter set is up to you, and you are never required to purchase a card in order to play a gameplay mode.

Q: Do I need cards in order to play Expeditions?

A: Chapter Replay modes and Score Attack can be played once you’ve unlocked a level, without using any cards. Remnant Resistance requires location and objective cards, several of which are provided when you first start the game.

Q: How do I get credits?
    A: There are many ways for you to earn credits to use in Rise of the Tomb Raider’s Expeditions:

1. Playing the campaign. Various activities such as challenges, finding relics, and story progression will gift players with additional credits.
    2. Challenge Tombs. Completing challenge tombs while playing the campaign will earn you additional credits.
    3. Backpacks. Similar to Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris’ canopic jars, when people on your friends list die they will occasionally leave a backpack where they fell. Finding one of these backpacks while playing campaign will net you some credits.
    4. Expedition Challenges. In Chapter Replay, Chapter Replay Elite, and Score Attack, you can select up to five challenges to attempt when selecting a chapter to play. Completing challenges results in a credit reward, the value of which is determined by the difficulty of the challenge.
    5. Score Attack. As previously mentioned, if you score high enough in a game of Score Attack to earn a medal, you will earn credits based on which medal you earn.
    6. Remnant Resistance. Playing and completing missions will earn you credits both for completing objectives and for entire missions. Playing other Square Enix games. Players who register as a Square Enix member will get credits for playing other games such as Life is Strange, Hit Man and Deus Ex.

There are additional ways to earn credits in Rise of the Tomb Raider, ensuring you always have enough cards to experiment and challenge your friends in Expeditions.

Q: How many credits do I get when I earn some? How many credits do I need to buy card packs?

A: We’ve worked hard to ensure card packs can be unlocked as quickly as they are consumed.

Q: Are credits used to unlock outfits?

A: No. Expedition credits are only used to purchase card packs. There are alternate means of crafting and unlocking costumes in the single-player campaign.

Q: When you guys talked about letting players compete with each other, what did you mean? Is there a competitive multiplayer mode?

A: There are no multiplayer modes in Rise of the Tomb Raider. However, there are ways in which you can face off against your friends and the Tomb Raider community:

1. Score Attack. You can look at Score Attack leaderboards and see how your friends or the community have scored per chapter. You can bring up the details of a player’s performance, including their kills, deaths, and what cards they used. If you think you can do better than they did, you can challenge their score, which costs a small value of credits per card the player used. This way you can challenge your friends’ scores, even if you don’t have the cards they used.
    2. Remnant Resistance. When you post a Remnant Resistance challenge, your friends are able to play it. When you play someone else’s Remnant Resistance challenge, your score on their challenge is tracked, with the top 3 players being posted on the challenge. A week after the challenge was posted, the player with the highest score in that challenge is awarded credits and the challenge is removed.

Season Pass

Q: Is there a difference between the season pass for Xbox One and Xbox 360?

A: The content for the Season Pass for Xbox One and Xbox 360 will be the same.

Q: Is there an edition of the game that comes with the season pass?

A: Yes, the digital deluxe edition on the Xbox Store includes the full base game and the season pass. You can also pre-order to receive the Remnant Resistance pack.

Q: Was extra content pulled out of the core game for the season pass?

A: No. After Rise of the Tomb Raider went gold, the team shifted focus to creating content for the season pass, including much-requested story DLC, and two additional Expedition modes.
    Last edited by Driber; 19th Oct 2015 at 17:33. Reason: update.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

1) Chocolate_shake: Will there be references to the events/characters of the comics and the novel in the game?

2A) Blacktron: The legend of Kitezh appears to be a rather obscure story, how did the writing team come into contact with it? AND 2B) TranceTrouble: How did the dev-team come up with some of the new area's in the next TR game, did they find inspiration from locations over the world by previous visits, or did the development team plan some expeditions to feel the vibe of some areas?

3) Yansazonov: Will Lara talk or /learn Russian?

4) TranceTrouble: In the last TR(2013) water and sand had a lot of influence on Lara her appearance and we also seen some sort of day/night cycling. IMO it would be great to see this expanded in the next TR game with more Day/Night and weather cycling. Can you tell us some more if this will be expanded in the next game and if this will have any influences on Lara, the environment or mission-events?

5) AlexWeiss: What unique mechanics/general aspects of ROTTR do you think will keep the game not only grounded to what the franchise is at its core, but also successfully compete in the adventure genre of modern gaming?

6)_Ninja_: It has been mentioned that we can craft different bows. Can we craft different arrows too?

7) kaasia: Will the game include more stealth elements than the last one?

8) Gemma_Darkmoon_: Will the cloth and herb system mentioned be an addition to health regen or move healing back to a 'medi pack' style system?

Q: Will all abilities learned in Tomb Raider’s reboot be available in the beginning of the next game?

A: Game Informer’s coverage of ROTTR discusses how upgrades have been improved to deepen the survival theme and systems in our game. As with Tomb Raider (2013), you’ll need to earn XP to learn new skills, and additionally find crafting ingredients of varying rarity to upgrade your weapons and tools. We’ll go deeper into these systems at a later date.

Q: Will dual pistols return in Rise of the Tomb Raider or in the future?

A: Lara’s new signature weapons are those that fit the survival theme and have multiple uses. Both her bow and axe can be used as a tool or a weapon, and additionally offer stealth takedowns in combat. These make them thematically a strong choice for Lara Croft. As to whether Lara’s twin pistols will ever return, we never say never, but aren’t providing details at this time.

Q: Are you going to use TressFX 3.0 and Direct X12 in ROTTR?

A: We haven’t released details on this yet, but rest assured we’re looking forward to sharing more about the tech we’re using.

Q: You said Crystal have sent screenshots and artwork of the game to GI. Did they show all the images on their magazine? Or there's maybe more and they are about to show them sometime this month?

A: We can’t go into details about what we’ve given press as the coverage is ongoing. After the month of features is complete we can provide a round-up of all assets.

Q: During the release of rebooted Tomb Raider in 2013, you told fans many times that this was a reboot and a fresh start of the series. So, where does Temple of Osiris fit in? Is Lara from LCTOO the rebooted Lara? Or classic Lara?

A: Currently we have two brands that feature Lara Croft as a character – the Tomb Raider brand, and the Lara Croft brand. Moving forward, any game titled “Tomb Raider” will star the new, rebooted Lara Croft and continue the narrative from our 2013 title. This Lara is also featured in the Dark Horse comics, and Brady Games’ Ten Thousand Immortals.

With the debut of LCTOO, we cemented the Lara Croft brand as a nostalgic tribute to classic Croft and the early Tomb Raider games.

These two brands exist independent of each other, and do not take place in the same timeline. Rebooted Lara will not necessarily “grow up” to be Lara from Temple of Osiris. However, from time to time we may have some content crossovers – such as the Tomb Raider 2013 costume packs in LCTOO.

Q: Will you consider to publish GoL in box edition too? Maybe some dual pack with LCTOO? There is only one box edition of GoL in the world, the German.

A: There are no plans to do so at this time, but we always listen to our fans so if it’s something that is of great interest we’ll consider it.

Questions we can't answer at this time:

While we’re as eager to talk about Rise of the Tomb Raider as you are to learn about it, there are some topics we’re not ready to tackle just yet. If you asked one of the below, we’ll keep track of your questions and revisit those we're able to.
    • Will there be exploration under water?
    • Will there be a space/ level where Lara's house appears in this game?
    • Is a multiplayer option coming to Rise of the Tomb Raider?
    • Will there be cooperative mode in story mode like Resident Evil 6?
    • Is Rise of the Tomb Raider being developed for any platforms other than the Xbox One and Xbox 360?
    • Will there be story-driven DLC for ROTTR? Will there be 20-year celebration DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    [B][*]Is Rise of the Tomb Raider being developed for any platforms other than the Xbox One and Xbox 360?[/LIST]
    Driber if you know the answer to this you can inbox me

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    Driber if you know the answer to this you can inbox me
    I can tell you now - yes it is.
    signature image

Q: Are the graphics on the screenshots final? Is it Alpha or Beta?

A: Some areas of the game are more polished than others, but we consider everything a work-in-progress until Rise of the Tomb Raider goes gold.

Q: How much time (timeline/ year in the game story) has passed from Tomb Raider to Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: Approximately 1 year has passed since the events of Tomb Raider 2013.

Q: What is the approximate game length of Rise of the Tomb Raider? Will it be more/equal/less than Tomb Raider?

A: As we told Game Informer, we’re looking for a comparable critical path experience – meaning, if you run through the narrative of the game we’d expect it to take a similar amount of time. However, we’re greatly expanding upon content that will keep fans who want a deeper experience busy. This comes in the form of the crafting and upgrade system, the translation system, secret tombs, and more. We’ll have more details on these features in the future.

... we’re looking for a comparable critical path experience – meaning, if you run through the narrative of the game we’d expect it to take a similar amount of time. However, we’re greatly expanding upon content that will keep fans who want a deeper experience busy...
    This sounds great
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tihocan View Post
    This sounds great
    i second that

Q: Lara's Jacket is red in the screenshots, and olive drab in the concept art and trailer. Why?

A: Because she's wearing different outfits!

Q: Will Lara have more weapons in addition to those seen in the concept art?

A: As with Tomb Raider, Lara will scavenge weapons and upgrade her kit throughout the game. We'll talk a bit more about these systems in the future.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    I can tell you now - yes it is.

That's great! Thanks for sharing with us.
    signature image

Q: Was Brian Horton inspired by the face of Camilla Luddington in Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: While Camilla Luddington now lends extra emotion through Mova’s impressive facial capture technology, Lara’s facial model is an evolution of the one in Tomb Raider, and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. We’ll go into the process of bringing Lara to life on next-gen in-depth at a later date.

Q: Will Simone Rene be the final model (body) in ROTTR?

A: As Brian addressed in the most recent podcast, he often blends photography and renders together for key pieces of promotional art. Simone Rene was a model for a pair of these sessions. As with the above, Lara’s in-game model is an evolution of the one in Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, with improvements in fidelity and realism. It is not based off a single person.

well what I would like to know - and for me it is an important question. I would like to know if Samantha Nishimura will be in the new Tomb Raider game?? Or only Jonah? It would be a shame to not have here there since she played an important role in the first game and we know how much Sam means to Lara.

Q: “To what extent has the work on Tomb Raider 2013 been built upon during the development of Rise of the Tomb Raider? And can you share any examples?”

A: (Brian Horton) For Rise, we wanted to build on the foundation we established on for Tomb Raider 2013 so what we did was take a lot of the things we liked and use it as a foundation especially as we were doing early prototypes. Everything was the same foundation of the game. From there, we started thinking what are the things we can grow and build on? That’s where we started thinking about survivalist systems, to think about the living world and how to make hubs more engaging, to build that survival sandbox and really double down on some things we introduced in our desperate combat in the last game. Now that Lara’s more confident and aware of her surroundings, we’re starting to introduce more mechanics on how she can have this guerilla style in her combat. A lot of what we were trying to do was build on the foundation of 2013 and bring something new so as her as a character has evolved, so have the abilities.

Q: “Will the hubs be utilized within the story path allowing for a slower pace rather than the ‘go go go’ urgency of before?”

A: (Brian Horton) We always give the player an option to explore hubs. We introduce them in places where it’s a natural place to take a break and really exploit them. But there are those players out there that want to continue along the main story line and we don’t prevent the player from doing that. So it’s always one of those things where we want to give the player a feeling like they can take a break from the main story and really explore and find some challenge tombs or do some hunting or pick up some collectibles. But, I think we allow for a pacing that keeps the story motivating but gives an opportunity to use the hubs.

Q: “How difficult is it to acknowledge and/or reflect on the legacy of Tomb Raider while at the same time follow your vision for the reboot?”

A: (Brian Horton) We’re always respectful of the past. We always reflect on what came before us. But, as we’ve said in past interviews, this is a reimagining of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft as a character so she will never quite evolve into the classic, Core vision of what Lara was but we will always try to make sure she’s maintaining the spirit and the franchise maintains the spirit of what its always been through our modern lens. So what we try to do is think about how would Lara evolve from where she was in the last experience that she did and what challenges would we want to embrace her with that would make her continue her legacy? I mean, this is Rise of the Tomb Raider – it is the continuing journey of her finding her destiny.

Q: "Is archaeology still at the heart of Lara’s experience with tomb raiding because she tends to leave quite a bit of damage behind her sometimes."

A: (Brian Horton) The idea of being a Tomb Raider isn’t purely an archaeologist. She has the soul of an archaeologist. She has the desire to find these ancient relics and societies and the mysteries of the world but often she’s presented these life and death situations and when you’re in a situation like that, she’s going to take a route that’s going to allow her to survive. Oftentimes, that’s going to leave a bit of damage on the backend of it. She’s not there to do anything other than, hopefully, seek out the truth and, in doing so, you know, she’s putting her life on the line and she does have a reverence for ancient cultures and societies and artifacts and relics. Obviously we exploit that in the relic system too and you know, there’s a lot of reverence for the things she finds. But, at the same time, it is a survival action game and there is going to be a little bit of collateral damage.

Q: “Darrell called Rise of the Tomb Raider something truly special and the most ambitious Tomb Raider ever built…”

A: (Brian Horton) We’ve had a fantastic opportunity on the sequel to utilize the generation switch. To bring another level of fidelity and performance into Lara and the supporting cast members so that’s a huge thing for us – to continue to make Lara the most believable character in video games. The other thing is the scope and the breadth of the game – we’ve often talked of our hubs being larger than the last game but we’ve really tried to make them something larger and we’ve talked about them being three times the size. Not only is it larger, it’s more dense. We’ve put a lot more work into the systems of the game, not only to make these hubs larger but to make these hubs even more immersive and interactive. Every single system in our pillar, every aspect of the game, we’ve built on the last. So, yes, we would definitely say it’s the most ambitious game we’ve made.

Q: "What are the challenges we’re going to see Lara encounter and how will she rise to the occasion?"

A: (Brian Horton) I can tell you that stakes are always an important part to being a Tomb Raider. The idea that Lara is going after some of these secret truths in the most distant and hostile places in the world mean that she’s going to have to up her game. We see in the Game Informer article that she’s coming prepared and you know, she’s not going in there unaware of the danger that she’s going to face. But even going prepared, there’s things that she will discover and encounter that she’ll have to learn to take on and overcome. So, trying not to be specific because I don’t want to give spoilers, just know that the challenges that we present Lara and the player are building up on the same patterns of you introduced to something that’s extremely overwhelming, you learn, you grow, evolve and eventually, hopefully master.

Q: "What’s your process for doing renders?

A: (Brian Horton) So, I was very fortunate to learn some photography in the past few years. I’ve always been a painter but, my fine art has brought me to photography. I’ve been doing it now for about 6 years and when we did the cover for Tomb Raider 2013, we worked for an amazing agency and I was along for the ride and I was like, “Wow, this is a great way to get some high resolution promotional images.” So the goal is always – what is the image? What is the content that we’re trying to create? And Bren (Brenoch Adams - Art Director) is really the guy that drives what that content is. We’ll have discussions about it but he tends to come up with the images and iconography and then once we agree on that iconography through concept, then we bring a model in, we do wardrobe, make-up if needed and we do pose explorations. I set up my studio lights, which I generally have two of those, and I have a Canon 63D and I try to get the highest resolutions I can, either for me or for Bren, for us to work render images into from the model that Kam Yu (Principal Artist) so we’re using all of our game assets this time, blended with photography to create some of those cover images that you see on Game Informer or our international press.

Bretty_boy: How much will the environment effect Lara? Will Lara's clothes rip and get dirty like in the previous game? Will snow stick to her hair and clothes, and melt in warmer environments?

Tihocan: Will Lara have any further hand-to-hand/close quarters combat skills (not as "weapon contextual" as in TR2013)

NSW_pride: Will Lara be able to sprint in ROTTR?

-Rai--: How limited is the team in developing a new theme for Tomb Raider considering survival action is the new main concept? (as opposed to action adventure TR used to have).

zackdollars: I hated the combat QTE's in TR9 (ie, mash button escape from wolf bite). I loved the open crate/door QTE's though (not sure if that's a QTE). Is there internal debate regarding implementation of QTE's?

self.wet(pants). I just can't even right now.
    signature image

Q: Can you explain this tweet from Camilla?

A: Camilla is having fun with fans!

Q: Is Nathan McCree working on a remaster of the original Tomb Raider theme?

A: We don't have any news on the topic at this time.

Q: When is the classic Tomb Raider coming to Windows Phone? When is Tomb Raider II coming to Android? When will Tomb Raider II for iOS will receive an update with Brazilian Portuguese?

A: At this moment I'm not aware of any plans involving the above projects. I'll be sure to loop you if/when they are brought to my attention.

While we’re as eager to talk about Rise of the Tomb Raider as you are to learn about it, there are some topics we’re not ready to tackle just yet. If you asked one of the below, we’ll keep track of your questions and revisit those we're able to.

• Is Rise of the Tomb Raider being developed for any platforms other than the Xbox One and Xbox 360?
    • Will there be story-driven DLC for ROTTR?
    • Will there be 20-year celebration DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider?
    • Does Lara's health regenerate in ROTTR?

Q: "Will you be remaking Tomb Raider II for the 20-year anniversary?"

A: The team at Crystal is fully dedicated to ensuring Rise of the Tomb Raider is the best game it can possibly be, and as such there isn't a remake of Tomb Raider II in the plans. That being said, we do have several very fun and diverse projects underway to celebrate two decades of Tomb Raider.

• Will there be story-driven DLC for ROTTR?
    • Will there be 20-year celebration DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider?
    • Does Lara's health regenerate in ROTTR?

and as such there isn't a remake of Tomb Raider II in the plans.
    Aw

Damn ROTTR, ruining everyone's fun
    signature image

Forum Q&A 22 - April 2015

sonecaboss: I would love to know if you're planning to make adjustments to the amount of ammo that you can gather. In the last game I didn't like the fact that I could find lots of ammo everywhere I go. I don't remember ever being out of ammo. In a game with a theme and a setting like this, where there're few resources, we should feel the need to save ammo and think about smart ways to finish the enemy, like stealth kills. I think at least the hard mode should have something like that and not just tougher enemies.

LaraCroftRox: Is Lara's character model the same as in 2013 Tomb Raider, If not, why did it change?

A) Adobe Artist: Will ROTTR feature multiple outfit options for Lara to be included in the core game design (so NOT DLC), either as mission/level start up options, or unlockables for replay?
    B) Chriss_02: Will there be any more outfits excluding the 2 ones already shown?

Peritvs: Can 360 users expect the hub areas to be as large, dense, and/or interactive as the Xbox One counterpart? Due to the increased size of hubs, can we expect collectible and secret items to be more plentiful? Not that they weren't in the previous installment?

MagnaBass18: How closely are you watching Nixxes in terms of the development of the game for X360 ?

Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    Aw

Damn ROTTR, ruining everyone's fun
    "we do have several very fun and diverse projects underway to celebrate two decades of Tomb Raider. "

Not all the fun though!
    signature image

Q: Are Amazon listings of a book called "Lara Croft and the Blade of Gwynevere" official?

A: Yes, this will be a new novel set in the Lara Croft universe. More details at a later date.

Q: Is Rise of the Tomb Raider still being developed for the Xbox 360?

A: Yes. As confirmed by a Microsoft spokesperson, Rise of the Tomb Raider is still in development for Xbox 360. Rise of the Tomb Raider will be launching on Xbox One and Xbox 360 in Holiday 2015.

Added to OP:

Forum Q&A 23

Forum Q&A #24 (special E3 edition)

Q: In what way is Eidos Montreal assisting with Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: Eidos Montreal has been a fantastic partner once again, assisting with elevating and polishing many areas of the game. In particular they’ve focused on challenge tombs, which we think you’ll find both unique and a true test of puzzle-solving skills.

Q: Will there be a demo for Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: We don’t have any plans to release a demo at this time. However, we will be showcasing a diverse array of gameplay footage online and at events worldwide prior to the November 10 launch.

Q: Any news on a collector’s edition?

A: None just yet!

Q: Is the Jeep playable in the Syria level of Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: The opening cutscene in Syria features Lara in a jeep driven by a hired guide. As with the reboot, our focus remains on empowering Lara’s traversal through equipment and upgrades rather than vehicles.

Q: Is the “Hope’s Bastion” Amazon pre-order artwork official?

A: Yes! We’ll have more information on preorder incentives at a later date, including a round-up of information so you can decide where you’d like to make your purchase.

Q: Will you upload HQ footage of the avalanche gameplay from E3?

A: You can view the entire Xbox Briefing online at this time, or a cut of just our Rise segment. If we release it as a standalone asset at a later date, we’ll be sure to let you know.

Q: Will the PC and PS4 versions be the same price as the Microsoft versions of the game?

A: We are not discussing pricing at this time. We’ll release more details related to both the PC and PlayStation 4 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider as the release dates draw nearer.

Q: Will this game be available for any other platforms, such as PlayStation 3, Mac, Nintendo, mobile or VR?

A: Currently we only have plans to release ROTTR on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4 and PC platforms.

Q: What are the exact release dates for PS4 and PC? Will they definitely launch in the announced time frame?

A: We are announcing releases of Early 2016 for PC and Holiday 2016 for PS4. We have no further details on timing at this time.

Q: Who will be the publisher of PC and PS4 versions? Will Square Enix be the publisher of both PC and PS4 versions?

Q: Who is developing the PC and PlayStation 4 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Interesting. Very odd that there will be an Xbox 360 release but not a PlayStation 3 release [yet.]
    signature image

Thumbs Down

July 25, 2015

The questions asked for the 25th July were rubbish. We pretty much knew all the answers already because they have been released on social media. I saw at least 6 better questions that would have been better to get answers for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast