Thread: Mass summoners ...

Mass summoners ...

Mass summoners ...

3+

How to deal with?

2-3 alchi with light bombs and someone should pick healing mist. Easy

When the Vampires stack Summoners there are three primary challenges you need to be prepared for:

1) Mass summons
    This is the easiest to deal with, as any AoE ability is very effective. Alchemists with Light Bomb in particular excel for this.

2) Hellstrike spam
    This is definitely the real challenge of massed Summoners. To prevent them from easily wiping your team it is imperative you stay spread out while in open areas. Standing still is also not advised as it makes you an easy target - try to move around unpredictably while staying in the same general area. Smart Summoners will wait until you're occupied with their summons or other Vampires to use Hellstrike. This is why Light Bomb is so great - it can quickly and easily eliminate Summons without the Alchemist sacrificing mobility.

An alternate strategy for countering Hellstrike spam is to camp inside a building where it can't hit you. Avoid choosing buildings with openings in the roof and stay back from the door. This works wonders against 4 Summoners, but other Vampires can make you pay for going inside. The Reaver's Choking Haze, Sentinel's Air Strike, and the Tyrant's Charge/Groundslam are extremely effective against clustered Humans.

Healing abilities and frequent use of health stations go along way to surviving the Hellstrike barrage but take great care before using. Standing immobile at a health station or clustering on Healing Mist creates an irresistible target. Try to wait until you believe the enemy's Hellstrikes are on cooldown, the enemies are dead, or you've forced them to flee.

3) Roof camping
    Large groups of Summoners tend to simply stay on the roofs and use abilities, only dropping into melee combat when the battle has turned in their favor. The key is to identify the roofs they are camped on and deal damage directly to the Summoner whenever possible. The Alchemist excels at this with her Hand Cannon. Other classes should be ready to hit the Summoners every time they peek out and consider bringing abililties that can hit rooftops (Volley, Grenades, Draining Curse).

However, no matter how good you are at attacking roof camping Summoners can stall the battle like none other (more accurately they can stall without getting bored more effectively than any other class). Until high skill levels the Vampires usually have a more effective round anyway so stalling as Vampires is a quick way to lose. Unfortunately if the Summoner stack won the previous round as Humans there is no incentive for them to not stall. Your only recourse is to go all out killing them off rooftops. A high risk strategy to pull out in this case is to grapple ontop of buildings as Scout - you'll be a huge target but at least you can have an easier time lining up shots.

1 scout, 2 prophets (draining curse, life leech), 1 alch (lightbomb, heal/wand). use prophets as frontline with draining curse, alch inbetween and scout behind. not much summoners can do against this.

Originally Posted by kLauE187
    1 scout, 2 prophets (draining curse, life leech), 1 alch (lightbomb, heal/wand). use prophets as frontline with draining curse, alch inbetween and scout behind. not much summoners can do against this.
    Pretty spot on. I main alch on human side. Summoner was a god send for aoe classes. Plus you can poke on top of buildings easily as alch.

Hi Summoners!

1. Spread out
    2. Run at the very least two prophets with piercing pistols and draining curse
    3. drop draining curse
    4. ???
    5. literally autofrag summoners while you heal

The summoner is a mediocre class at best. It cannot support other vampires and the cooldowns don't make the abilities worthwhile. This means you will have an easier time killing all the other vampires.
    The summoner pets heal you, so just let those nasty tentacles do the work. Like my chinese cartoons...
    Streaming Nosgoth and Nosgoth accessories: http://www.twitch.tv/zzott_
    Ayye bruh check my Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/amazingghostboy

Originally Posted by zzott93
    1. Spread out
    2. Run at the very least two prophets with piercing pistols and draining curse
    3. drop draining curse
    4. ???
    5. literally autofrag summoners while you heal

The summoner is a mediocre class at best. It cannot support other vampires and the cooldowns don't make the abilities worthwhile. This means you will have an easier time killing all the other vampires.
    The summoner pets heal you, so just let those nasty tentacles do the work. Like my chinese cartoons...
    The current iteration of spamming abilities that kill newbies in pug games is boring and kinda bad for actually teaching the class in an esl perspective, however, the class is not bad and has the best support ability in the game.

when i see a stack of summoners spamming hell strike every 20 seconds and doing nothing else i actually chuckle, even if 2/3 of them hit, I just heal up and then ask ... "what else you got?"

Honestly, I haven't really felt challenged by stacking Summoners (not like the other vampire classes). As a scout, I snipe them to oblivion while my abilities finish the ghouls (turret or trap). As a hunter, I spam fire the ghouls and use abilities to destroy the Summoners (grenade primarily). As a Prophet, I have really been enjoying the new piercing pistols and have put them to good use taking pot shots at the Summoners til they kill over while using abilities to slay the ghouls (primarily drain curse, to keep my health topped off). As an Alchemist, I blast the Summoners away while using healing mist + immolation to deal with the ghouls.

I had a game where wo totally lost against Summoners, "then" we all took the grappling hook to get on the roofs ourself, and just as we changed to this tactic (getting on the same high as they are) we made the 20-10 to a 25-30. So the grappling hook did a very big change in this match, so.. that is what I recommend you.

I find it peculiar how all of you think that the summoner spam is bad and easy to counter, while it still wins overwhelming majority of games where it's utilized.

Originally Posted by YawningSoldier
    I find it peculiar how all of you think that the summoner spam is bad and easy to counter, while it still wins overwhelming majority of games where it's utilized.
    Do you have a survey of this majority?

2 summoners are the real problem, it combos with almost anything to create a perfect cancer.

Originally Posted by YawningSoldier
    I think the issue is that in public games you cannot dictate what classes other people play, let alone what loadouts they have.

With the changes to Stalkers and Curses hopefully Summoners will be easier to manage.

Originally Posted by kLauE187
    /thread
    Winner right here
    signature image

Originally Posted by Ghosthree3
    2 summoners are the real problem, it combos with almost anything to create a perfect cancer.
    Yeah, I think that's the optimal Summoner number. Enough pets and ranged attacks to frustrate you without compromising the versatility of the vamp side.

I want the impact area of the hellstrike to glow as it is incoming. Currently the hellstrike's burst damage coupled with very very little to determine when and where it will hit is the problem.

The haze has the bottle sound and is just a dot so even if you don't hear it you can react to the damage to get out of the area.

The airstrike has the hissing fuse which is quite audible and the grenade often lands and then detonates after a short moment, giving you time to react.

The hellstrike is instant damage. It does not have the audible que like airstrike. All you get is the sound of it in the air. That might become audible once it's right on top of you. If the hellstrike is done while other things are going on your boned pure and simple. If the hellstrike is done with nothing going on then you can randomly guess which way to roll and hope that your not rolling into it more.

Also i would like to point out that the airstrike has a set timer, which means at extreme range ( harder to aim) is the best you can get for near instant damage when it hits the ground. The hellstrike is instant damage on impact with the ground. SO a 5 ft airstrike throw will give lots of time to avoid it. A 5 ft hellstrike is burst instant damage with no avoidance possible.

Currently hellstrike is the only problem I have with the summoner class.

I've started using the Alchemist flamethrower against summoners and it does really well. Without Summoner having a stagger or interrupt they can't follow in with their minions without taking mass damage. If they wait too long flamethrower will just be ready again because it has a short CD. The only issue is you still need some sort of heal against hellstrikes.

mass heal, well aimed shots and some aoe. crush their shield with melee attacks and use bola, hex, etc. they'll have no chance at all.

i would go for 1 vanguard 1 prophet and 2 alchemists or 1 van 2 proh 1 alche.
    Last edited by ursorlicious; 11th Mar 2015 at 10:06.