Thread: Lara Disowned

Lara Disowned

So I discovered recently that in the first game manual, Lara's story was actually that her parents disowned her. But, why?
    I know things took a different route, obviously but why did they change the story?
    Also I seen that originally she was 21 when the crash of the Himalayas took place and her mother wasn't involved but her fiance? was? I had no clue she had a fiance at any point.
    Was these things changed later on by Core or Crystal? And what actually is the story of Lara not counting in the new Tomb Raider?

For the record I was 2-3 when the games came out and didn't play until years later.
    signature image

Well, there have been many revisions to the original biography. I'd have to unearth the game manuals, but unless I'm mistaken, originally her family disowned her for reproval of lifestyle choice. Later on Core retconned Von Croy into the bio, so technically surviving the trip to Katmandu wasn't Lara's first "real" adventure any longer.

The fiancée bit only ever existed in the comics though, in which version Lara's parents also died in that same plane crash at the age of 21.

Crystal introduced Amelia in Legend, while also moving the plane crash from 21 years old to 9 year old Lara.

This was one of the things i liked the most.Despite the fact that i didn't spoke English back then i was sensing how rebellious Lara was. Later the great involvement of her parents in the storyline annoyed me a bit because i thought Lara as a person who is moving forward in a "self-luminous" way.The joy of adventure in itself and her cheerfulness overshadowed by the drama of her parents.
    I recommend to the relatively-new players to have a look to the original biography of Lara.Inspiring.

I really love that idea that Lara had this wealthy quite comfortable life at then went completely against that to go adventuring. It is great to see her be really independent and as they have done with every separate CD story she is always somehow in the shadow of her parents which I hope they will move away from.

Quote Originally Posted by TSUSMC9 View Post
    So I discovered recently that in the first game manual, Lara's story was actually that her parents disowned her. But, why?
    As said, Lara's parents disapproved of her new lifestyle choice of travelling/adventuring.

I know things took a different route, obviously but why did they change the story?
    Not sure, Apparently when Toby Gard came on board with Crystal for Legend, it was his idea to include the parents and subsequent story. With the Reboot, they've made Lara 21 again for the life-changing accident, but obviously abandoned the Himalyan crash and replaced it with Yamatai, with again, her parents dead. Why? Ask Crystal I think though, that they're trying to make Lara seem more relatable in modern society. Core Lara may have rebelled against her aristocratic lifestyle yet traveled the world for her own (selfish) goals and is still wealthy going by her manor. Reboot Lara is still from wealth, but chose not to use her family's wealth to further her career, instead chose to work her way through college and started her archaeological career as a researcher with Roth. Perhaps CD see that as more relatable to their target audience.

Was these things changed later on by Core or Crystal?
    Core made some changes, namely adding Von Croy as a mentor and so slightly reducing the importance of the epiphany Lara was supposed to have had in the Himilayas, the Top Cow comics that introduced the fiance were also around during the Core era. Crystal Dynamics made the changes to make the Himalayan crash happen when Lara was 9 and to have her parents dead/missing. I don't know if there's any truth in it or speculation, but some believe they were influenced by the TR movies.

And what actually is the story of Lara not counting in the new Tomb Raider?
    I don't quite understand this question. Lara not counting in the new games? Do you mean the original bio not counting? Or just Classic Lara?

I think she was disowned because by birth I believe she was a Dutchess or something related to that and she didn't want to fulfill her royal role, she wanted to go tomb raiding instead so her parents disowned her.
    signature image