Thread: The big guide to maximising your framerate (FPS config included)

The big guide to maximising your framerate (FPS config included)

Originally Posted by zzott93
    Out of curiosity, what makes this different from mine?
    Quite a number of settings, so many that it would take me some time to list them all. Peak at the config if you like. I don't guarantee it'll be better than yours for everyone but having read through this thread (thank you, btw) thoroughly and after looking up many commands and the details of their functions I've come to make this config as it is, and it has supplied me with at least 10/20 more constant fps than any other config I've used before it. (Though I'm still at a loss of FPS due to the fact that -usetexturepool no longer functions as it used to.)

I will say, though, that TEXTUREGROUP command lines had a big part in optimizing the config, in that I added an addition setting. After reading in to how these texture groups functioned; that setting being: "NumStreamedMips" added to each line. which greatly has helped my performance.

Originally Posted by Truckposeidon
    I have a big question I wonder if anyone could answer for me because i'm not that knowledgeable about .ini files but after the March 31st update with the new UI my key bindings for loadout changing and the new map would not work. I finally figured out that that this was because my .ini files were read only because I like no mouse smoothing so now i took the read only off and every time I restart the game it resets my ini settings. I just want the new UI key bindings to work and be ableto have a custom .ini!
    Make sure the game is not running while configuring .ini files.
    Make sure that you set your .ini files to read only after configurating them and before running the game.
    Last edited by Equanimityjohn; 19th Apr 2015 at 09:10.

Originally Posted by Equanimityjohn
    The command -usetexturepool has stopped working as of the most recent patch, and I'm not the only one who took a big hit in FPS when this happened. I spent several hours tweaking my config and I believe I've gotten the settings to run at their maximum potential, at least for myself. This config is as potato as it can be, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work for some people. If it doesn't, refer back to this thread as I did until you can tweak it to where it will work for you.

Dropbox link:
    FPS Config

Edit: I've worked on my FPS config for over two days now. The config is essentially fully optimized. The only other thing I'd recommend would be running the game in 720p fullscreen instead of 1080p borderless windowed if you feel the need, though the gains would most likely be marginal. Running the game in borderless windowed seemed to have much higher performance than the same resolution(s) set to fullscreen, thus the config is set to 1080p borderless windowed.
    I get about 20 fps with this, which is really good for me without -usetexturepool, so thank you.

Quite a number of settings, so many that it would take me some time to list them all. Peak at the config if you like. I don't guarantee it'll be better than yours for everyone but having read through this thread (thank you, btw) thoroughly and after looking up many commands and the details of their functions I've come to make this config as it is, and it has supplied me with at least 10/20 more constant fps than any other config I've used before it. (Though I'm still at a loss of FPS due to the fact that -usetexturepool no longer functions as it used to.)

I will say, though, that TEXTUREGROUP command lines had a big part in optimizing the config, in that I added an addition setting. After reading in to how these texture groups functioned; that setting being: "NumStreamedMips" added to each line. which greatly has helped my performance.
    I'm currently looking into this. Thanks a lot on behalf of everybody suffering from the -usetexturepool being broken. I'll test what you added and see what difference it makes to me and possibly others.

I saw a few you things you changed in your config that I didn't agree upon since it can make the game unstable, the shader settings mostly, but it's looking really good.

If I find it doing good use I'll add it to my guide and config and credit you as well, if you don't mind.
    Streaming Nosgoth and Nosgoth accessories: http://www.twitch.tv/zzott_
    Ayye bruh check my Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/amazingghostboy

This setup is great. But it costs more to see the invisible scout.
    What line modifies the invisibility of the scout or the characters?
    Last edited by ArrX92; 22nd Apr 2015 at 12:34.

Re-optimized my config for the latest patch and updated the download link.

Download my FPS config here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3ho5klvvu...20FPS.zip?dl=0

thx a lot zzott busted my frames after the patch in the menu from 40 to 120 ... i only got 80 out of some changes i did myself :/

can the dev´s not implement this settings in the game under potato settings for best performance, because always to fix a ini file is kinda annoying tbh^^
    signature imagesignature imagesignature image
    GTX 970 - i7-3770 - 16 GB RAM - 1920x1080, 120 Hz - Windows 7 Prof.

I can't tell the difference in quality with the config compared to high performance. Anyways, I'm getting 40-80 fps during battle fights. It would be nice if I can go to 100+ fps.

I also don't see anything different form high performance setting...

Originally Posted by selw0nk
    I can't tell the difference in quality with the config compared to high performance. Anyways, I'm getting 40-80 fps during battle fights. It would be nice if I can go to 100+ fps.
    Originally Posted by TheRex22
    I also don't see anything different form high performance setting...
    I'd recommend you both try my config then. I've literally stretched it to be as optimized as possible as far as I can tell, and I certainly tell a difference over "high performance".

I'd recommend you both try my config then. I've literally stretched it to be as optimized as possible as far as I can tell, and I certainly tell a difference over "high performance".

I have tried your config before and looked the same to me. I am going to try your config again since you updated it on dropbox. Can you screenshot the game with your config on? I want to see what it looks like on your end.
    Last edited by selw0nk; 2nd May 2015 at 21:27.

Originally Posted by selw0nk
    I have tried your config before and looked the same to me. I am going to try your config again since you updated it on dropbox. Can you screenshot the game with your config on? I want to see what it looks like on your end.
    http://imgur.com/RW1FU4f

That's what my video settings look like.

Thank you a lot Equanimityjohn, for some reason I had a lot of troubles after last patch with my fps,
    even the fps config from Zott didn't work for me.. (my fps jumped from ~90 to ~40).
    But your last config fixed it for me *_* now stable 95fps
    signature image

What should I do to try the config uploaded on dropbox?
    Just overwrite the 2 .ini files in the game folder?

And if I want back my old config I guess I should make a back-up copy of my files and, just in case, replace them back. Am I right?

Originally Posted by Sasha_Vykos
    What should I do to try the config uploaded on dropbox?
    Just overwrite the 2 .ini files in the game folder?

And if I want back my old config I guess I should make a back-up copy of my files and, just in case, replace them back. Am I right?
    This is correct. If you use a resolution different than the one I used in the .ini files (1080p) then refer back to the OP for instructions on how to change that.

This is correct. If you use a resolution different than the one I used in the .ini files (1080p) then refer back to the OP for instructions on how to change that.
    Thanks, my fps are way better now!

Potato config and -usetexturepool now works with the latest patch.

New version of the config. Inlcuding changes to a file called "DefaultSystemSettings.ini". Find it here

Last edited by zzott93; 20th May 2015 at 18:51.
    Streaming Nosgoth and Nosgoth accessories: http://www.twitch.tv/zzott_
    Ayye bruh check my Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/amazingghostboy

Originally Posted by zzott93
    New version of the config. Inlcuding changes to a file called "DefaultSystemSettings.ini".
    Thanks zzott, replaced my BCMPsystemsettings, userprofile, input and defaultsystemsettings, works great.

One other thing, can you help me out with this Nvidia control panel, are my settings set to highest performance?

My config is completely updated for the new patch, and I've done a hell of a lot more research on some more commands that may help performance quite a bit.

The README file is especially important. I would recommend everyone to try it out as soon as they can. It has given me a huge performance boost, even over zzott's config. XD

Originally Posted by BrandedHunter
    Under Vertical Sync enable Gsync if you have the option, otherwise leave it off. Under pre-rendered frames (maximum and virtual reality) I'd recommend setting those to 4 each. Enable trilinear optimization. Set power management to performance. Other that that I believe you're set to the highest performance, unless you only have a single display, then I'd recommend turning off multi-display performance, obviously. :P
    Last edited by Bazielim; 21st May 2015 at 23:21. Reason: double posting - please use the 'edit' function, thanks

My config is completely updated for the new patch, and I've done a hell of a lot more research on some more commands that may help performance quite a bit.

The README file is especially important. I would recommend everyone to try it out as soon as they can. It has given me a huge performance boost, even over zzott's config. XD

Under Vertical Sync enable Gsync if you have the option, otherwise leave it off. Under pre-rendered frames (maximum and virtual reality) I'd recommend setting those to 4 each. Enable trilinear optimization. Set power management to performance. Other that that I believe you're set to the highest performance, unless you only have a single display, then I'd recommend turning off multi-display performance, obviously. :P
    Thanks Equanimityjohn, I applied your config followed the readme, can you give me what "Poolsize" I should put? Minus the small margin, my GPU memory is 2047 MB.

I set all to readme afterwards. The steam launch option -nosurvey must have worked, so far no crashes while starting Nosgoth (before I have to start Nosgoth twice but if it crashed twice in a row, I have to restart steam since it will always crash which is a hassle).

By the way, how do you use borderless window without the mouse pointer going outside the game? I use 640x480 resolution and I have to set it on fullscreen (borderless=false, fullscreen=true) if not, the mouse pointer can go and click the desktop T_T

This is my nvidia control panel changed to what you suggested, vsync doesn't have gsync:
    Last edited by BrandedHunter; 22nd May 2015 at 01:13.

Under Vertical Sync enable Gsync if you have the option, otherwise leave it off.
    By default I believe V-sync is set to obey the application setting. While there's no harm in just turning it off there there's also no need as long as you set V-Sync to off in your game.
    EDIT: I lacked context, you were giving advice for an nvidia config that had the option set statically.

This is my nvidia control panel changed to what you suggested, vsync doesn't have gsync:
    Because you don't have a g-sync module monitor. They're expensive and uncommon right now.

Thanks Equanimityjohn, I applied your config followed the readme, can you give me what "Poolsize" I should put? Minus the small margin, my GPU memory is 2047 MB.

By the way, how do you use borderless window without the mouse pointer going outside the game? I use 640x480 resolution and I have to set it on fullscreen (borderless=false, fullscreen=true) if not, the mouse pointer can go and click the desktop T_T
    For a 2GB memory GPU I'd recommend setting your PoolSize to 1900~ or so.

1080p is my desktop resolution so it fits just fine in borderless windowed. You could lower your desktop res to fit whatever res you want to run windowed fullscreen if you feel up to it, or as you said just run it in fullscreen. The only reason I run windowed fullscreen on my native resolution is because it's the still close to best performance while still looking okay, while the only other means of boosting performance through resolution for me would to be, as you mention, playing on a smaller than native resolution that makes it easy for the cursor to leave the application in windowed fullscreen. For some reason running the game in lower resolutions, even 480p, in fullscreen hardly increases performance at all for me compared to 1080p windowed fullscreen. The only problem with running fullscreen is that no matter what your settings are alt+tabbing out and back in to game halves your FPS.

Edit: I just tried it again and I did notice an improvement to performance running lower resolutions in fullscreen now, enough that I'll probably stick with it in 720p fullscreen personally. However, I must say that when viewing very "open" areas of maps the FPS still dips to values exactly as low as if it were 1080p windowed fullscreen, which is quite strange when the difference it makes in less "open" areas is so incredibly noticeable by comparison. [This is true even when running very low pixel 4:3 resolutions such as 640x480 (which are touted to be better for UE3) native-ly, which is very strange indeed. I believe THIS FACT COULD HELP DEVELOPERS optimize the game.]

I also tested running the game with framerate smoothing, which is disabled by default in my config, and I still believe it doesn't do a very good job of boosting performance at all, and in fact hinders it. I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone, particularly those with very low FPS (sub ~40/50 consistently), so maybe toggling it on (it can be found in the BCMPUserProfile.ini file) would be good for some.
    Last edited by Equanimityjohn; 22nd May 2015 at 06:43.

Ty very much Equanimityjohn ... at least it's somewhat playable for me now =)

-useallavailablecores

change to me absolutely nothing... -onethread is true to make performance worse, at least on my config.

what i dont like about all this configs is, people who do this config dont really know what they are doing, i mean they are passionate and helpful, but is a try and try and try process...

would be much better if someone of the programmer of nosgoth, create a guide, i mean someone who really know unreal engine and this game, can give some info, "unofficial extreme low"config and so on...

community manager, why dont let a programmer of nosgoth engine write here?

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last