Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: The big guide to maximising your framerate (FPS config included)

The big guide to maximising your framerate (FPS config included)

The big guide to maximising your framerate (FPS config included)

Hello people!

I'm going to keep myself short and go through a couple of basic, as well as advanced, ways of optimising your settings so to run Nosgoth as smooth as possible.

The goal is to make your game look as ugly as possible, but run smoothly. I got a boosted 40 frames out experimenting with these settings.

If you're just looking for the FPS config or can't be bothered, you can find it here (last updated 2015-05-20.)
    This is version 1.2 using the improvements suggested by Equanimityjohn. Thanks you a lot! It also includes a changed version of the file called "DefaultSystemSettings.ini".

Put the config files here C:\Users\<your name>\Documents\My Games\Nosgoth\BCMPGame\Config

Config not updated? Send me a message! If it's not working you're gonna have to go about it the long way.
    I will be doing minor changes to the config that I won't adress in the thread.

Disclaimer: These things worked for me and Johax, they might not work for you. Some of these might be wrong as well, and if so please do tell.

Don't hesitate to add your own tweaks to the thread, so we can find the optimal settings together!

We're going to make the game look something like this:

Part 1: Basic tweaks

First off, Gamebooster from IOBIT is a good tool to use. Basically it shuts down everyone one wouldn't need. Such as Skype (+5 frames), Windows themes (+5 more) and services you don't use either way.
    You can find it here

Let's look at the ingame settings for Nosgoth. These can be tweaked even more with a little know-how, but we'll get to that soon.

Resolution: Speaks for itself, lower it as much as you can to make it presentable but playable.

Vertical Sync: Makes the game look super smooth on high end systems. WILL lower your framerate if enabled. Disable.

Anti-Alias: Renders smoothed edges. Disable.

Max FPS: Cap yours at twice your monitors framerate + 1. If you have a 60 hz monitor, cap it at (60x2+1) 121. Even on a stable PC your framerate will always drop by one. This will make you have a happy monitor for multiple reasons.
    If you can't cap it at such a high framerate, cap it at whatever your average framerate is.
    Why? Because this will stop nasty frame drops and give you a stable look sensitivity.

Details: Set them to "low" for now. We'll return to this later.

Texture and World detail: set these to "low" for now.

APEX Cloth: Fancy cloth animation. Disable.

Shader quality: Makes your game render fancy. Set to low.

Ambient Occlusion: Fancy lightning. Disable.

Depth Of Field: Just an effect that eats up processing power. Disable.

Light Shafts. Can't be bothered, off!

Lens Flare: unneccecary effect, disable.

Dynamic Shadows: Eats up pricessing power too. Disable.

Motion Blur: Looks amazing in 144 fps, smooth as silk. Disable!

You can do two things in Steam to get a better framerate too.

First off, set a "-high" launch parameter, then disable the steam community ingame (if you can be bothered).
    -high gives the Nosgoth client higher priority than the rest of the services running at the time. Will make the game run more smoothly. I also know that the "-onethread" launch parameter works for people too. Not sure what it does, but it did make the game run more stable for me.
    -usetexturepool used to make the game load the lowest possible textures for the game. I'm not sure about this one anymore, I think it's linked to a memory leak. I will have to check this out

Right click Nosgoth - properties - set launch options.

The Steam community overlay eats a lot of ram, 50-200 mb if I remember correctly.

You can set your Nvidia card to render everything less fancy. You can find these options from the control panel.

Not gonna go into depth with this.

Part 2: Writing an FPS config

Here's the fun part! If you don't care for tweaking these settings yourself you can just download my config files and do a little copy-pasting. You can find the files at the top of this thread. here

Alright, let's find our files first. C:\Users\<your name>\Documents\My Games\Nosgoth\BCMPGame\Config
    OR:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\nosgoth\BCMPGame\Config

The location of these files might differ. Check both!

It should look like this:

We're going to be writing stuff in BCMPUserProfile and BCMPSystemSettings.

Let's start with BCMPUserProfile.

Code:
    [BCMPGame.Profile_K]
    SplitScreenType=eSST_2P_HORIZONTAL
    bShowHitPoints=true
    Don't touch these.

Code:
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60.000000
    bOneFrameThreadLag=false
    bUseMouseSmoothing=false
    bSmoothFrameRate=false
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate (caps your FPS to whatever )

bUseMouseSmoothing (SET THIS AS "FALSE" IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO AIM PROPELY!)

Code:
    LookSensitivity=0.500000
    Version=2
    bSubtitles=True
    bInvertYAxis=False
    bVibration=False
    bEULAd=False
    bSeenInitialMovie=True
    bTwitchStreamingAutoResolution=False
    bTwitchDefaultWebcamPreview=False
    AudioOutput=1
    AudioDynamicRange=2
    MusicVolume=0.000000
    FxVolume=0.159298
    DialogVolume=0.000000
    VoipVolume=0.167562
    Brightness=2.232472
    FOV=110.000000
    ChararcterName[0]=AssHuman
    ChararcterName[1]=FastVampire
    LoadoutIndex[0]=0
    LoadoutIndex[1]=0
    Do not touch most of this stuff. It's bad for you.

Code:
    VideoDetail=9
    TextureDetail=9
    MSAA=0
    TextureDetail, VideoDetail (sets your detail levels. In the menues you can set these to low (low=4), but it goes down to 5. I set mine to 9 because I could. Set yours to five. Will make the game look like crap. This is good.

MSAA (fancy lightning, set to 0)

Code:
    twitchStreamingFrameRate=0
    twitchStreamingResolution=0
    twitchStreamingBitRate=0
    twitchMicrophoneLevel=0.000000
    twitchSystemSoundLevel=80.000000
    twitchDefaultWebcam=
    twitchDefaultWebcamSize=

[IniVersion]
    0=1417035321.000000
    Do whatever you want with these. It's just Twitch stuff.

Let's move over to the clusterbomb of words that is BCMPSystemSettings. I'm not going in depth, just what's relevant.

Code:
    [SystemSettings]
    AllowStreamingLightmaps=true 
    StaticDecals=False
    DynamicDecals=true
    UnbatchedDecals=False
    DecalCullDistanceScale=0.250000
    DynamicLights=False
    DynamicShadows=False
    LightEnvironmentShadows=False
    CompositeDynamicLights=False
    SHSecondaryLighting=False
    DirectionalLightmaps=False
    MotionBlur=False
    MotionBlurPause=False
    MotionBlurSkinning=0
    DepthOfField=False
    AmbientOcclusion=False
    Bloom=false
    bAllowLightShafts=False
    Distortion=false
    FilteredDistortion=false
    DropParticleDistortion=False
    bAllowDownsampledTranslucency=False
    SpeedTreeLeaves=false
    SpeedTreeFronds=false
    OnlyStreamInTextures=False
    LensFlares=False
    FogVolumes=False
    FloatingPointRenderTargets=False
    OneFrameThreadLag=False
    UseVsync=False
    These are all just making the game look fancier. Set everything to "false" except "DynamicDecals", which gives you warning rings around AoE attacks.
    Then I added AllowStreamingLightmaps=true for allowing streaming lightmaps as you'd stream textures. It's false by default.

Code:
    UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
    Fullscreen=True
    AutoDetectDesktopResolution=False
    Borderless=true
    Do not touch.

Code:
    AllowOpenGL=true
    AllowRadialBlur=False
    AllowSubsurfaceScattering=False
    AllowImageReflections=False
    AllowImageReflectionShadowing=False
    bAllowSeparateTranslucency=False
    bAllowPostprocessMLAA=False
    bAllowHighQualityMaterials=False
    MaxFilterBlurSampleCount=0
    SkeletalMeshLODBias=4
    ParticleLODBias=4
    Shader options. Set most to false. Removes reflections and fancy surfaces.

Code:
    DetailMode=4
    Level of rendered detail. Set to 4. This will render the "SystemSettingsTexturesDerp" part of the config, or so I think.
    Code:
    MaxDrawDistanceScale=1.000000
    DO NOT TOUCH

Code:
    ShadowFilterQualityBias=0
    MaxAnisotropy=1
    MaxMultiSamples=1
    bAllowD3D9MSAA=False
    bAllowTemporalAA=False
    TemporalAA_MinDepth=500.000000
    TemporalAA_StartDepthVelocityScale=100.000000
    MinShadowResolution=0
    MinPreShadowResolution=0
    MaxShadowResolution=0
    MobileShadowTextureResolution=0
    MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=0
    ShadowFadeResolution=0
    PreShadowFadeResolution=0
    ShadowFadeExponent=0.250000
    These are shadow details. They eat up more of your processing power than most else. Won't make much of a difference if you set them to 8. 0 will turn them off.
    They're usually set around 128 or 512, but you can set them to 0. If it makes the game crash, set them to 8.
    ALWAYS set variables like these to something that can be divided by 8 or they can make you crash. Example; 8, 128, 512. Setting them to 0 doesn't work for me, it might work for you.

Code:
    ResX=1920
    ResY=1080
    ScreenPercentage=100.000000
    SceneCaptureStreamingMultiplier=1.000000
    ShadowTexelsPerPixel=1.273240
    PreShadowResolutionFactor=0.500000
    bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=False
    bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering=False
    TessellationAdaptivePixelsPerTriangle=8.000000
    bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=false
    bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=False
    bAllowWholeSceneDominantShadows=False
    bUseConservativeShadowBounds=False
    ShadowFilterRadius=0.000000
    ShadowDepthBias=0.012000
    PerObjectShadowTransition=60.000000
    PerSceneShadowTransition=600.000000
    CSMSplitPenumbraScale=0.500000
    CSMSplitSoftTransitionDistanceScale=4.000000
    CSMSplitDepthBiasScale=0.500000
    CSMMinimumFOV=40.000000
    CSMFOVRoundFactor=4.000000
    UnbuiltWholeSceneDynamicShadowRadius=20000.000000
    UnbuiltNumWholeSceneDynamicShadowCascades=3
    WholeSceneShadowUnbuiltInteractionThreshold=5
    bAllowFracturedDamage=false
    NumFracturedPartsScale=1.000000
    FractureDirectSpawnChanceScale=1.000000
    FractureRadialSpawnChanceScale=1.000000
    FractureCullDistanceScale=1.000000
    bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=false
    bDisableSkeletalInstanceWeights=false
    HighPrecisionGBuffers=False
    AllowSecondaryDisplays=False
    SecondaryDisplayMaximumWidth=1280
    SecondaryDisplayMaximumHeight=720
    Stuff. I'd suggest you copy these settings. Except for the resolution parametres.

Code:
    MobileFeatureLevel=0
    MobileFog=True
    MobileHeightFog=False
    MobileSpecular=false
    MobileBumpOffset=false
    MobileNormalMapping=false
    MobileEnvMapping=false
    MobileRimLighting=false
    MobileColorBlending=false
    MobileColorGrading=False
    MobileVertexMovement=false
    MobileOcclusionQueries=False
    MobileGlobalGammaCorrection=False
    MobileAllowGammaCorrectionWorldOverride=False
    MobileLODBias=-0.5
    MobileBoneCount=75
    MobileBoneWeightCount=2
    MobileUsePreprocessedShaders=false
    MobileFlashRedForUncachedShaders=False
    MobileWarmUpPreprocessedShaders=True
    MobileCachePreprocessedShaders=False
    MobileProfilePreprocessedShaders=False
    MobileUseCPreprocessorOnShaders=True
    MobileLoadCPreprocessedShaders=True
    MobileSharePixelShaders=True
    MobileShareVertexShaders=True
    MobileShareShaderPrograms=True
    MobileEnableMSAA=False
    MobileContentScaleFactor=1.0
    MobileVertexScratchBufferSize=150
    MobileIndexScratchBufferSize=10
    MobileLightShaftScale=2.0
    MobileLightShaftFirstPass=0.5
    MobileLightShaftSecondPass=1.0
    MobileModShadows=True
    MobileTiltShift=False
    MobileMaxMemory=300
    MobilePostProcessBlurAmount=32.0
    MobileTiltShiftPosition=0.5
    MobileTiltShiftFocusWidth=0.3
    MobileTiltShiftTransitionWidth=0.5
    MobileMaxShadowRange=500.0
    MobileBloomTint=(R=1.0,G=0.75,B=0.0,A=1.0)
    MobileClearDepthBetweenDPG=False
    MobileSceneDepthResolveForShadows=TRUE
    Not sure if these actually work in a desktop computer or just optimisation for mobile units. I disabled a lot anyway.

Code:
    ApexLODResourceBudget=1000000020040877300000.000000
    ApexDestructionMaxChunkIslandCount=2500
    ApexDestructionMaxShapeCount=0
    ApexDestructionMaxChunkSeparationLOD=1.000000
    ApexDestructionMaxActorCreatesPerFrame=-1
    ApexDestructionMaxFracturesProcessedPerFrame=0
    ApexDestructionSortByBenefit=True
    ApexGRBEnable=false
    ApexGRBGPUMemSceneSize=8
    ApexGRBGPUMemTempDataSize=8
    ApexGRBMeshCellSize=7.500000
    ApexGRBNonPenSolverPosIterCount=9
    ApexGRBFrictionSolverPosIterCount=3
    ApexGRBFrictionSolverVelIterCount=3
    ApexGRBSkinWidth=0.025000
    ApexGRBMaxLinearAcceleration=1000000.000000
    bEnableParallelAPEXClothingFetch=false
    bApexClothingAsyncFetchResults=False
    ApexClothingAvgSimFrequencyWindow=60
    ApexClothingAllowAsyncCooking=false
    ApexClothingAllowApexWorkBetweenSubsteps=FALSE
    Fancy cloth simulation. These are turned off from our earlier settings anyway. No need to touch.

Code:
    TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=3)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=3)
    TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ImageBasedReflection=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Bokeh=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=none,MipFilter=none,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0))
    I set "MaxLODSize" to 0 on all of these, you can set them to 8 or 128 if you want. It would probably be the best. It's all just fancy surface shader stuff.

A user named Equanimityjohn found that the game run better without texture filters. That's why I've changed
    MinMagFilter and MipFilter to "none".
    We are also adding a setting called "NumStreamedMips". Set this t0 0 on every row except for two, which are 3.

Code:
    AllowSilhouettes=True
    AllowApexCloth=False
    UseDirectSound=True
    AllowBackgroundAudio=False
    AllowSilhouettes (not sure really, I left mine on as default)
    AllowApexCloth (Apex cloth. Disable)
    UseDirectSound (don't touch this)

Code:
    TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=0,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ColorLookupTable=(MinLODSize=0,MaxLODSize=0,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=None,MipFilter=None,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    Set MaxLODSize to 0, 8 or 128, it's the same as the other shader stuff.

Code:
    [SystemSettingsBucket1]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings

[SystemSettingsBucket2]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings

[SystemSettingsBucket3]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings

[SystemSettingsBucket4]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings

[SystemSettingsBucket5]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings

[SystemSettingsScreenshot]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings
    MaxAnisotropy=16
    ShadowFilterQualityBias=1
    MinShadowResolution=16
    ShadowFadeResolution=1
    MinPreShadowResolution=16
    PreShadowFadeResolution=1
    ShadowTexelsPerPixel=4.0f
    PreShadowResolutionFactor=1.0
    MaxShadowResolution=4096
    MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=4096
    CompositeDynamicLights=FALSE
    TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=linear,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1000,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear)

[SystemSettingsEditor]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings

[SystemSettingsSplitScreen2]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings
    bAllowWholeSceneDominantShadows=False
    bAllowLightShafts=False
    DetailMode=5

[SystemSettingsMobile]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings
    Fullscreen=True
    DynamicLights=False
    SHSecondaryLighting=False
    StaticDecals=True
    DynamicDecals=False
    UnbatchedDecals=False
    MotionBlur=FALSE
    MotionBlurPause=FALSE
    DepthOfField=FALSE
    AmbientOcclusion=FALSE
    Bloom=FALSE
    Distortion=FALSE
    FilteredDistortion=FALSE
    DropParticleDistortion=TRUE
    FloatingPointRenderTargets=FALSE
    MaxAnisotropy=2
    bAllowLightShafts=FALSE
    MobileModShadows=False
    MobileClearDepthBetweenDPG=False
    MaxFilterBlurSampleCount=4
    DynamicShadows=False
    MobileMaxMemory=300

[SystemSettingsMobilePreviewer]
    BasedOn=SystemSettingsMobile
    Fullscreen=False

[SystemSettingsMobileTextureBias]
    TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=linear,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point,NumStreamedMips=3)
    TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)

[SystemSettingsAndroid]
    BasedOn=SystemSettingsMobileTextureBias

[SystemSettingsFlash]
    MotionBlur=FALSE
    MotionBlurPause=FALSE
    DepthOfField=FALSE
    AmbientOcclusion=FALSE
    Bloom=FALSE
    Distortion=FALSE
    FilteredDistortion=FALSE
    bAllowLightShafts=TRUE
    MobileModShadows=True
    DynamicShadows=True
    MobileClearDepthBetweenDPG=True
    MobileHeightFog=False

[SystemSettingsFlash_Detail]
    MotionBlur=FALSE
    MotionBlurPause=FALSE
    DepthOfField=FALSE
    AmbientOcclusion=FALSE
    Bloom=FALSE
    Distortion=FALSE
    FilteredDistortion=FALSE
    bAllowLightShafts=TRUE
    MobileModShadows=True
    DynamicShadows=True
    MobileClearDepthBetweenDPG=True
    DirectionalLightmaps=True
    MobileHeightFog=True

[SystemSettingsIPhone]

[SystemSettingsIPhone3GS]
    LensFlares=False
    DetailMode=1
    MobileEnableMSAA=True
    MobileMaxMemory=100

[SystemSettingsIPhone4]
    MobileContentScaleFactor=2.0
    LensFlares=False

[SystemSettingsIPhone4S]
    MobileEnableMSAA=True
    bAllowLightShafts=True
    MobileModShadows=True
    DynamicShadows=False
    ShadowDepthBias=0.025
    MaxShadowResolution=256
    MobileShadowTextureResolution=256

[SystemSettingsIPodTouch4]
    LensFlares=False
    MobileMaxMemory=100

[SystemSettingsIPad]
    MobileFeatureLevel=1
    MobileFog=False
    MobileSpecular=False
    MobileBumpOffset=False
    MobileNormalMapping=False
    MobileEnvMapping=False
    MobileRimLighting=False
    MobileMaxMemory=100
    MobileContentScaleFactor=0.9375

[SystemSettingsIPad2]
    MobileEnableMSAA=False
    bAllowLightShafts=True
    MobileModShadows=True
    DynamicShadows=False
    ShadowDepthBias=0.016
    MobileContentScaleFactor=1.0
    MaxShadowResolution=256

[SystemSettingsIPad3]
    MobileEnableMSAA=False
    bAllowLightShafts=True
    MobileModShadows=True
    DynamicShadows=True
    ShadowDepthBias=0.016
    MobileContentScaleFactor=1.40625
    MaxShadowResolution=256
    MobileMaxMemory=500

[SystemSettingsIPad2_Detail]
    BasedOn=SystemSettingsIPad2
    This is just stuff for other platforms and whatnot. No need to touch. Don't remove these either.

Code:
    [Configuration]

[SystemSettingsTexturesDerp]
    BasedOn=SystemSettings
    TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ImageBasedReflection=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Bokeh=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ColorLookupTable=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0)
    This is your texture detail level "5". This is what you're going to load when set to 5. You can set all of this to 8 if you want. I prefer 128.

Code:
    [WorldDetailLow]
    StaticDecals=False
    DecalCullDistanceScale=0.25
    SkeletalMeshLODBias=5
    ParticleLODBias=5
    MaxShadowResolution=8
    MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=8
    This is the world detail level 4 or 5, not sure actually. It's what you'll be loading with our config.
    SkeletalMeshLODBias (set to as high as possible, which is 5. Will give you a lower detail level)
    ParticleLODBias=5 (set to as high as possible, which is 5. Will give you a lower detail level)

MaxShadowResolution=8 (8 is the lowest possible number without crashing for me. Will make your shadows look ugly when set to low.)
    MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=8 (8 is the lowest possible number without crashing for me. Will render less shadows when set to low.)
    You can probably set both of thse to 0 if you want.

Code:
    [IniVersion]
    0=1417035474.000000
    1=1418054738.000000
    I don't know what this is, and I hope you don't touch it.

This concludes our big guide so far. If anyone else have anything to add or correct, please do.

Thanks to Johax for looking up most of the config stuff and additional corrections.

Happy fragging!

Love,

zzott

(http://www.twitch.tv/zzott_ if you want to support me and my work for the FPS config in any way)
    Last edited by zzott93; 20th May 2015 at 18:51. Reason: updated config

bOneFrameThreadLag = True
    (located in both BCMPSystemSettings.ini and BCMPUserProfile.ini)

This setting can also increase your fps by quite a bit at the cost of minimal input delay. For most people it's a better trade-off.

Remember to make your .ini files read-only (!!!)

The game might reset parts of the configuration otherwise.

I just wanted to stop by and say this guide is really good I didn't follow it all the way through due to I got to a reasonable FPS after part of it. I was getting about 30ish before and now at the top it reaches 52 but usually balances somewhere between 40-50 which makes it more playable. Thank you very much zzott93 for taking the time to create this for people

Really skype cut 5fps if is loaded while playing???

Originally Posted by riccetto80
    Really skype cut 5fps if is loaded while playing???
    yeah I can believe that, it's nice for solely having conversations etc, but it is quite heavy when you're running something else taxing on the system. On my old setup I couldn't run Skype at the same time from the same machine as Nosgoth without major fps problems. Though I've since upgraded and can run them now I think it's worth bearing in mind that some of the alternative options like Raidcall and Teamspeak can be a lot less taxing.
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

Its not that i need this, i like fancy graphics, but i just want to say you have done a Good work here, im sure this helps some Persons
    gj

Awesome work thx!
    Am at 9-12fps atm with lowest ingame settings so this should help alot,especially playing humans is a pain with accurate aiming like that-.-

Wow! I kept on losing, didn't know why. Then I followed this guide, now I keep on winning! Seems like my attacks missed most of the time due to lag. I'm a lot more agile and accurate now
    Thanks a lot!

Clearing up big confusion about the FPS config not working for some people:

The config location changed in some update (I don't know which) and therefore the files has been of no use for a lot of people. The new location is in your Nosgoth config folder in your STEAMAPPS folder.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\nosgoth\BCMPGame\Config (Or similar)

I hope this will clear up the confusion.
    Streaming Nosgoth and Nosgoth accessories: http://www.twitch.tv/zzott_
    Ayye bruh check my Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/amazingghostboy

I believe those exist only as read only default copies that get copied into your documents\my games\etc folder upon first start up.

I do not recommend using DetailMode=5 as it forces fog on, despite what you have the various fog options set to.

Originally Posted by DesolatedMaggot
    I do not recommend using DetailMode=5 as it forces fog on, despite what you have the various fog options set to.
    I love you for this! I've been wondering for so long

helped me a lot ... thank you
    signature image
    IGN : Tee Sin

Originally Posted by DesolatedMaggot
    What number should we use on DetailMode?

Originally Posted by selw0nk
    What number should we use on DetailMode?
    Hey Selwonk, I use DetailMode=4. It works well for me, I'd recommend it to others as well.

Pasted your configs in the said location. Got game booster.

Game looks ugly as hell's crack. 10/10 should get stickied!

Weird though I still have 15 FPs with or without the new configuration and I'm way above the minimum requirement (not recommended though)
    Last edited by LordAzuRa4; 17th Mar 2015 at 18:15.

At the expense of appearance I can finally aim properly and enjoy the game smoothly, thank you for this guide, helped me improved my fps.

Btw copy pasting "BCMPUserProfile" and "BCMPSystemSettings" doesn't always work, didn't work for 2 pcs (1 has Nvidia vcard, other intel vcard) here so I have to manually follow your tut all the way to the end.

Also I opened those tweaked config files and the "MaxLODSize=8" changed back to the 256. What's the lowest value aside from 0, that you can apply without the risk of crashing(when I put 0 in some it crashed) is it 8?

How can I view my fps now? When I go to settings->video it won't display anymore, when I ran the game first time it showed, now I have no way of telling what's my fps.

Somtimes i use fps count. from steam. Steam -settings-in game fps counter

Can you update config when you have time ? After update dont work for me idk for others players

Originally Posted by maresrb
    Somtimes i use fps count. from steam. Steam -settings-in game fps counter
    Thanks for that. From 15-20fps it went to is 40-60fps when playing cause of this tutorial.

Originally Posted by BrandedHunter
    [...]I opened those tweaked config files and the "MaxLODSize=8" changed back to the 256. What's the lowest value aside from 0, that you can apply without the risk of crashing(when I put 0 in some it crashed) is it 8?
    Yeah, I'd dare say it's 8. It's what's been working on mine and most other's systems that I've talked to.

Originally Posted by maresrb
    Can you update config when you have time ? After update dont work for me idk for others players
    I'll get to it some time real soon. I'm busy with many other things than games right now, but I promise I'll do it when I have the time.

EDIT: Updated the config
    Last edited by zzott93; 16th Apr 2015 at 20:46.

The command -usetexturepool has stopped working as of the most recent patch, and I'm not the only one who took a big hit in FPS when this happened. I spent several hours tweaking my config and I believe I've gotten the settings to run at their maximum potential, at least for myself. This config is as potato as it can be, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work for some people. If it doesn't, refer back to this thread as I did until you can tweak it to where it will work for you.

Dropbox link:
    FPS Config

Edit: I've worked on my FPS config for over two days now. The config is essentially fully optimized. The only other thing I'd recommend would be running the game in 720p fullscreen instead of 1080p borderless windowed if you feel the need, though the gains would most likely be marginal. Running the game in borderless windowed seemed to have much higher performance than the same resolution(s) set to fullscreen, thus the config is set to 1080p borderless windowed.
    Last edited by Equanimityjohn; 19th Apr 2015 at 09:16.

Originally Posted by Equanimityjohn
    The command -usetexturepool has stopped working as of the most recent patch, and I'm not the only one who took a big hit in FPS when this happened. I spent several hours tweaking my config and I believe I've gotten the settings to run at their maximum potential, at least for myself. This config is as potato as it can be, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work for some people. If it doesn't, refer back to this thread as I did until you can tweak it to where it will work for you.

Note: the config's resolution is set to 720p, which can be a very marginal FPS increase compared to 1080p for some users. To change it, refer back to the instructions in the first post of this thread and make sure the files are not set to read only when configuring them (but don't forget to turn them back to read only when done configuring them, before starting the game, either).

Dropbox link:
    FPS Config
    Out of curiosity, what makes this different from mine?

I have a big question I wonder if anyone could answer for me because i'm not that knowledgeable about .ini files but after the March 31st update with the new UI my key bindings for loadout changing and the new map would not work. I finally figured out that that this was because my .ini files were read only because I like no mouse smoothing so now i took the read only off and every time I restart the game it resets my ini settings. I just want the new UI key bindings to work and be ableto have a custom .ini!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last