Page 2 of 2 First First 12

Thread: Continuing Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain Tribute

Continuing Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain Tribute

I tried sculpting Turel once. I was using Sculptris though which brought my computer to its knees before I made anything useful.

Thanks, The Hylden. I actually also had some computer issues until recently by coincidence. I think I get what you mean. I've never done this sort of thing before, and I'm not interested in becoming involved in it, but I do find it interesting to learn about. The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 was very informative. And speaking of Metal Gear, are you aware of what Kojima Productions made for MGSV? It's something that actually watches the face as it moves and animates the characters face to move just like the actor. It looks really good in action.

Originally Posted by FearGhoul
    It's something that actually watches the face as it moves and animates the characters face to move just like the actor. It looks really good in action.
    Pretty sure things like that were around before MGSV. Still neat though. (Sadly, all future Metal Gear will be pachinko machines.)

Yeah, motion capture would be nice. Before embarking on this crazy journey, I did buy a Kinect two years ago, an Xbox version, seeing that would be a lot cheaper than one for Windows and there is a way to make it work on a PC. I wanted to use it for specifically motion capture, but I never could get the thing working on my PC. I don't have the budget (little more than nil) to invest in something like that. It would be nice, as well as other things, but we do with what we have. I also saw that Metal Gear Solid V has tech that speeds up the scanning process, so they can scan and put something directly into the game within a half an hour (where most things like that need a lot of cleanup to make work first). Part of me finds that all to be a bit too much, too removed from the art process, and part of me definitely finds it amazing. Sculpting from scratch certainly takes a ton of time...

Announcement: this is just a teaser of what I'm about to show. I plan on showing the full monster of a project by tomorrow.

The Pillars are coming....

Hello, all. It's been a long time. As some know, taking care of my dad with his health issues has taken precedent since late last year. Things are a bit better now. He's home, finished the allotted physical therapy. He's fallen a few times, though, and the last one was pretty hard. Anyway, things have been hard at times, but we're managing.

I have been working, when I can, on a few things. Some major ones. The past couple of months, I've been crafting an entire map of the Pillars and surrounding locations in Unit 5. Specifically, this map unifies the areas, paths, directions, and landmarks of Blood Omen, Soul Reaver 2, and Defiance. Soul Reaver 2 was the main template for the area, with Blood Omen 1's map the master world template that this is can be drawn onto. I will show actual footage of this soon, hopefully tomorrow from when this is posted (there is a lot of footage to go through and edit). In addition to the map and the Pillars, themselves, I have the fully armored human Kain in all his regalia, with sword, and elder Kain within the scene. I'll also be showing the fully aged Soul Reaver. Here's the little teaser for the Pillars scene:

Zbrush used to sculpt the base of the Pillars area. World Machine used to procedurally finalize most of the weathering and final forms. Zbrush and within Unity used for further detailing.

What's it for exactly? Looks good so far
    Orange liches from Blood Omen in Nosgoth asap pls

This is a personal project that I've been at for years now. It started out with recreating the Kain and Raziel models from the Soul Reaver pre-rendered intros. I had hopes, at the time, of recreating the world of Nosgoth, but that was extremely ambitious. Well, now I've got a portion of that done, so parts of the world, recreating the cutscenes -- these are some of the ideas in my head. It would be great to be able to remake the entire series, but then again, very ambitious stuff.

I'm also helping the Soul Revenant project, which is remaking Soul Reaver 1 in Unity.

In addition to that, the map I helped to craft (all of the artwork and contributing to the ideas/direction), is what's being used as a template for this recreation, and was made for Nosgoth, the game, now cancelled. A few of us counseled Square and Psyonix over the years on lore issues; in addition to that, we were tasked with creating a more accurate map for the world they could use and that Square could use for the series as part of the canon. It never was finalized, since the game is now cancelled.

So, here is that scene I promised, recreating the Pillars from the Blood Omen era and prior and surrounding areas/paths in Unity 5:

More from my website:

The Hylden-Dimension

In addition, you can see the map those of us who helped council about lore stuff also worked on a map for the game, 'Nosgoth,' which unfortunately never was implemented with the cancellation. It was also to be included into the canon of Legacy of Kain, but again, never went through. So, now it's being used for my projects and for Soul Revenant. I'm also offering it up for fans, in general, to get a better understanding of the world of Nosgoth:

Soul Reaver era map

(click image to enlarge)

Blood Omen era map

(click image to enlarge)

More about that collaboration can be found on my site here:

The Hylden-Dimension

The Blood Omen 1 era map is complete, for the most part. I might forest it up a lot and remove some of the blood dot locators for locations from the future. The Soul Reaver era map, besides things like Sommerdamm and the location of Valeholm, is pretty much as done as it will get. Little tweaks from here.

I'll be uploading more renders of human Kain soon from Marmoset, of his final sword, the Pillar Guardian statue, and of a fully aged Soul Reaver.
    Last edited by The_Hylden; 22nd May 2016 at 05:50. Reason: Wrong SR map

I've been puzzling over how to reconcile changes of the SR era with Blood Omen's general map layout for some time. Mostly in regard to the lakes and shifting of lands. This will be...Very useful. My own attempts do seem to have been fairly accurate as far as placing the coastal regions and clan territories. This pleases me.

What is that point denoted "Cemetery" west of Ziegsturhl? I'd have assumed the Necropolis (it including a graveyard and being noteworthy enough for map inclusion) but that's a separate point some ways above it...

I must admit it's surprising that SE was looking to create an entire accurate map for canon usage. It suggests far more care about the property than I'd given credit for considering the whole bastardizing debacle of Dead Sun (protip: Do not hand a property off to be worked upon by people who openly opine that said property is garbage). Hopefully that care won't just die with Nosgoth.
    After the forum goes down, I can be found on Steam, Twitter, and Facebook.

The Cemetery, that is where Kain's mausoleum is and where Raziel coincidentally escapes Spectral in Defiance. That is the only name it ever had in Blood Omen 1 and Defiance, although of course I am sure more cemeteries were all over Nosgoth. Necropolis in the future, seen far north, would be an example of another.

Yes, we were very optimistic at them wanting such a detailed map.

*Fixed the SR era map. It was a previous version*

Here's the full render of human Kain in Marmoset Toolbag 2, and his long sword:

Human Kain Full Armor Hylden-Dimension

Teaser pics:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
    Last edited by The_Hylden; 19th May 2016 at 23:13.

This is truly fantastic work. So much attention to detail...it must have taken you forever.

Although everything is amazing, i have some constructive criticism toward the video:
    I think that it is too long and could have been done in less time, making it a more interesting and enjoyable video.
    I saw that some time was wasted just trying to get the right angle to show the models etc...in these cases you could have edited the video to just transition to the angle you were looking to show.
    Another thing was, when you did those comparison shots (to show your version vs soul reaver and defiance areas), you could have done this in some form of split screen...not only is this easier and better to compare them (as a viewer), it also takes less time to show.

Overall this blew my mind, and was almost hard to believe you did this all by your lonesome.
    I'm quite glad you're helping in the making of Soul Revenant.

Thanks. Yes, this was left long, since I was certain the fans would be ok with that. There's a lot left to do, certainly a lot left to optimize before I show it to those who aren't fans of the series without showing them an overly long, sometimes slide show. I agree on what it needs to make it play faster. A shorter version, once hopefully things are more complete and play smoother, I'll put together down the road.

Originally Posted by The_Hylden
    Thanks. Yes, this was left long, since I was certain the fans would be ok with that. There's a lot left to do, certainly a lot left to optimize before I show it to those who aren't fans of the series without showing them an overly long, sometimes slide show. I agree on what it needs to make it play faster. A shorter version, once hopefully things are more complete and play smoother, I'll put together down the road.
    Indeed you're right, i ended up watching most of it xD
    But i wanted to give these suggestions to make a better promo vid for the future

Which btw, in case you do, it would be awesome if human and evolved Kain were actors and not just static models.

That is my plan, yes. You're reading my mind and it's freaky

But seriously, both are rigged. I've already done an animation video with elder Kain. I wanted to put an animation together and test the transfer system into Unity, but human Kain, while rigged, needs corrective blendshapes and a few other tweaks before I'd consider him animation ready.

Further updates. Shame I can't make one about every day, or so, but here's the last major one. Renders of the fully aged Soul Reaver and Pillar Guardian statue:

Hylden-Dimension - Soul Reaver and Pillar Guardian statue

Teaser pics:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

More images at the link above. Now, I'll be finally back to sculpting Wraith Raziel and Ariel. Both were started months back, before issues with my family happened. Raziel is coming along pretty nicely. I'm just finishing the major muscle and bone forms.

Damn...you're getting me hyped...
    Shame on you...(cause i know this takes time, and you're making me anxious)

*Fixed the SR era map. It was a previous version*
    Any changes other than Valeholm?
    Also the Pillars should probably be labeled on the BO map (despite eventually giving way to Sanctuary) what with the location's significance in that title.

Astounding work on the Reaver. Not familiar with the statue but it looks great too.

This is fantastic work and I'm very interested to play it. What would one have to do in order to play once it's complete; and is there any predictions on when it might be completed?

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    Any changes other than Valeholm?
    Also the Pillars should probably be labeled on the BO map (despite eventually giving way to Sanctuary) what with the location's significance in that title.

Astounding work on the Reaver. Not familiar with the statue but it looks great too.
    Thanks. The Pillars should be named. I thought there was a label of them, but the text for Pillars says Sanctuary of the Clans, so I'll just make a new layer with the right text. Besides the Valeholm change, the coast was cut away on the southeast of the map. The Guardian statues are accents I'm adding around the gates to the Pillars. They're new additions.

Originally Posted by GenFeelGood
    This is fantastic work and I'm very interested to play it. What would one have to do in order to play once it's complete; and is there any predictions on when it might be completed?
    Thanks a lot. Eventual builds, I think, can be installed just like any other game. I don't have a prediction yet, no. I'm pretty bad with predictions on when things will be completed, it turns out

Thanks. The Pillars should be named. I thought there was a label of them, but the text for Pillars says Sanctuary of the Clans, so I'll just make a new layer with the right text. Besides the Valeholm change, the coast was cut away on the southeast of the map. The Guardian statues are accents I'm adding around the gates to the Pillars. They're new additions.
    Ah, well, the statues do look good.

And good to know about the map. It's been a valuable terrain reference for my own.

I haven't really checked these boards recently, so I totally missed this. That recreation of the Pillars and surrounding area is amazing. I did have trouble telling what area was what most of the time, even with the game footage, but I can only imagine how long this must have taken.
    Is that statue totally original? There seems to be something familiar about it. Is it inspired by something in Blood Omen? And was I imaging it, or do the symbols on the Pillars glow?

Originally Posted by FearGhoul
    Is it inspired by something in Blood Omen?
    Reminiscent of this, I'd say?

(click image to enlarge)
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Page 2 of 2 First First 12