Thread: What should EM do with Thief?

What should EM do with Thief?

Originally Posted by AlexRos1980
    Just curious what is this exactly that EM got wrong at your opinion?
    My review is a good place to start.

... the decision not to make any DLC is a sign that EM do not plan to make anything at all with THIEF reboot.
    Yeah, they won't be making DLC for the reboot.
    A sequel remains a possibility; and they confirmed this.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Lady_Of_The_Vine
    My review is a good place to start.
    Link please I have tried to find your review by looking through threads started by you and got confused where it, your review, might be.

On the forum, glance your eyes downward for the "Fan Review thread".
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=142035
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...87#post2043787

My contribution is there with others; and Its well-worth reading all the reviews.
    signature image

Thanks for the link. And sorry for me being lazy or blind.
    Oh, well, and I would try to invest some time and write my own review...

Originally Posted by AlexRos1980
    Thanks for the link. And sorry for me being lazy or blind.
    You're welcome.
    No need to apologise... we are all allowed our lazy or blind moments; its not against the rules.

Oh, well, and I would try to invest some time and write my own review...
    That would be awesome and I look forward to reading it.
    signature image

A "sequel" to the reboot Thief. Does that mean we will see more of Nu-Garrett, Erin, the Graven and the Primal? And we have to wait a few years for THAT?
    I am not looking forward to another senseless boss battle with the Thieftaker General...LOL

I wouldn't worry too much at this point in time - we don't have any solid information.
    A sequel doesn't necessarily equate to a continuation of the reboot's narrative content and characters - it could be set in a different time altogether, yeah? Also, just because there are boss fights in one game doesn't mean they will/must appear in the next game.... and vice versa.
    signature image

I wouldn't worry too much at this point in time - we don't have any solid information.
    A sequel doesn't necessarily equate to a continuation of the reboot's narrative content and characters - it could be set in a different time altogether, yeah? Also, just because there are boss fights in one game doesn't mean they will/must appear in the next game.... and vice versa.
    It would be kinda fun if Garrett in the sequel universe was a private investigator like in those Noir films and walking into his office is Erin, who is looking for help from Garrett to solve a mystery. His previous existence as a Keeper and Master Thief would come in handy.
    Here is a link that might be fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_piLm38E_U

Originally Posted by sneaksietaffer
    It would be kinda fun if Garrett in the sequel universe was a private investigator like in those Noir films and walking into his office is Erin, who is looking for help from Garrett to solve a mystery. His previous existence as a Keeper and Master Thief would come in handy.
    Here is a link that might be fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_piLm38E_U
    You're talking about going back to the original continuity, then? I like that idea a lot. Garrett was originally conceived as kind of a Chandleresque hard-boiled detective-type, so bringing it full circle and literally making him a private eye would be great.

Originally Posted by SquareWastesMyTime
    You're talking about going back to the original continuity, then? I like that idea a lot. Garrett was originally conceived as kind of a Chandleresque hard-boiled detective-type, so bringing it full circle and literally making him a private eye would be great.
    Since in the reboot Thief Garrett looks pretty much like a normal guy, even with his eye looking a bit odd due to the Primal, with the right set of clothes, a forged Identity and maybe a haircut and dark glasses, he could pass off as a well dressed man about town and begin his new career as a detective while still doing a bit of thievery on the side. Because he wears his hood and mask while doing the Thief routine, the City residents have no idea what Garrett really looks like so when he is being a detective, nobody would suspect who he really is. Since Erin could be in the picture and probably will look much more ladylike this time and dressed to kill...lol, that could be one possibility if EM continues with the reboot. I don't really see them going back to the original timeline and factions which is kinda sad.
    Last edited by sneaksietaffer; 9th Jan 2015 at 21:27.

It would be ironically hilarious if the city watch enlists the help of "private investigator" Garrett to help track down and catch the "Master Thief ".

Wasn't Thi4f originally supposed to take place in modern times, with a sort of alternate-universe version of Garrett? I seem to remember a piece of concept art with modern-garrett wearing a hoodie and carrying a duffel bag full of his special tools.

Yeah, Ion Storm Austin had planned for the next game to take place in a modern setting. here's the info:
    http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Unfinished_Thief_sequels
    signature image

Yeah, Ion Storm Austin had planned for the next game to take place in a modern setting. here's the info:
    http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Unfinished_Thief_sequels
    I would like to see Garrett behind the wheels of a motor car of some sort in the next Thief. Even with the technology potential it is strange to see people in the City lugging goods around using human powered carts like in medieval times..LOL
    A "horseless carriage" or something like the Model T automobile could be something that is capable of being developed in Garrett's time.

On the forum, glance your eyes downward for the "Fan Review thread".
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=142035
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...87#post2043787

My contribution is there with others; and Its well-worth reading all the reviews.
    Interesting, I've often wondered exactly what your stance was at times.

My summary of your review would be thus: "I agree with the malcontents on here, but none of the stuff bothered me that much, I wish EM had done it differently, but whaddya-gonna-do?"

I guess that position is to be expected from a moderator.

Also, can I just say, posting large reams of text in light green is not pleasant to read.
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

Originally Posted by sirtaff
    Interesting, I've often wondered exactly what your stance was at times.
    My opinion on the game is my own, so not sure why you think I'm worth the extra attention.

I guess that position is to be expected from a moderator.
    What position is it you refer to and what does being a moderator have to do with it?

Also, can I just say, posting large reams of text in light green is not pleasant to read.
    Its one of my fave colours and I make no apology for it. Others have chosen to use different colours too... nobody has ever complained, except you.
    signature image

Originally Posted by sneaksietaffer
    I would like to see Garrett behind the wheels of a motor car of some sort in the next Thief. Even with the technology potential it is strange to see people in the City lugging goods around using human powered carts like in medieval times..LOL
    A "horseless carriage" or something like the Model T automobile could be something that is capable of being developed in Garrett's time.
    The automobile was still a luxury item for a long time after the Victorian Era which ended in 1901. The Model T didn't become available to the general populace until 1925 when the price dropped to something the common worker could afford.

Besides that in the game they did have horses. At least until the livestock cull due to plague fears. The reason people are pulling the carts themselves is that all the livestock, including horses were destroyed out of fear they carried the Gloom. It's in the documents on the app and in the game and mentioned in the dialog in the game.

I cannot really see Garrett driving a car around, a motorcycle yes.

Or one of those tricycles with the giant front wheel.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Originally Posted by MasterTaffer
    Or one of those tricycles with the giant front wheel.
    You mean like the plastic Big Wheel kids used to ride back in the seventies?......LOL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzX9iRKrVvU

Or one of these:

signature image
    Because boomerangs.

I'd like to see the the work Clockwise was performing expanded on. It's fairly obvious after reading his journal entries that he had stumbled upon Keeper glyphs. In one of his writings he mentions finding what can be interpreted as a portal to another time and/or place. Now, with that in mind, try to envision this:

After the events of 'Thief: Deadly Shadows' when Garrett first meets Erin, that somehow a singularity occurs within the glyphs. Perhaps their power had been corrupted by the old hag. Eventually Garrett is captured and held prisoner (as Thief 4 explains when he is referenced as the 'sneak thief'). Using his training as a Keeper, Garrett attempts to use the power of the glyphs to escape, only something goes terribly wrong. He is sent centuries into the future with no memory of his past.

I know there are many things wrong with this scenario and areas that would need major patching in order to make sense, but you get the general idea where I'm going with this.

In my understanding, the "Primal" is simply the energy of the glyphs utilized in it's raw state. Many times the game helps the player make this distinction by connecting the two in various ways. It isn't too far fetched to believe they are connected. (Purely speculation but the Primal might even be the energy we saw the pagans shooting from their staffs in 'Deadly Shadows'. I suppose a decent analogy is "The Force" from Star Wars. Primal would be the force, and glyphs an almost alchemical rendering of the Primal. Each glyph uniquely created to manipulate the Primal in different ways and for different functions. Just my own little way of interpreting them, not claiming it to be fact.)

Maybe a sinister antagonist has sent Garrett to another time/place with no Gods or magic so the Keepers can effectively be eradicated without his interference. Clockwise was definitely onto something. It was odd though that Ector acted like his automaton was the first of it's kind. Were the Mechanist's stricken from the record books entirely then? I do believe Thief 4 is a continuation of the series, only in the form of a soft reboot. Many times Thief 4 references characters and events from previous games.

So as for the question of the thread...

I think SE should make a sequel that has larger, non-linear maps and game design, I think they should implement the exact same lean or "peek" function found in Wolfenstein: The New Order. No more of this cover peeking or leaning. I think they should allow free jump and make all surfaces able to be mantled. Just basically all the things everyone else wants improved on.

Specifically though, the most important thing I think they should do, something I can not stress enough, is to focus on finding a way to expand upon the lore and incorporate previous games lore back into the narrative.

How cool would it be for the sequel to have Garrett using Clockwise's portal to traverse back and forth to Garretts original timeline where there are Keepers, Hammers, monsters, and Pagans...then back to the present/future where legions of automatons have been unleashed upon the city by the Baron (we never see him actually die). Tangled in new layers of conflict and conspiracy, Garrett searches for answers in the past where he discovers the fate of the Keepers first hand and solves the mystery to his own cloudy past in an attempt to save his City in the future.
    Last edited by EyeOfStone; 2nd Apr 2015 at 14:37.

It would be nice to have the Keepers back. Also the Hammerites would add some comical relief. As for Erin? No way I want her back.
    I would like to forget everything about Thief 4 except Basso which I thought was well portrayed.

Personally I guess there will be no Thief games anymore, due to the bad feedback, both by fans and financial. The game is cool, but not a masterpiece. The music ruins the atmosphere, especially when the annoying track starts and covers the enemies voices when you are caught, Brosius is missing more than Stephen Russell.
    Another suicidal move was erasing the factions, creating a non-interactive world (you can't neither destroy or move a crate), changing the very beautiful blueish atmosphere from TDS, with the dust grains glowing at the moonlight, and putting too much bad words (ironically the word "s**t", meant as feces is banned from the forum, but is disturbingly repeated too much times in this new game. They spot too much the light on people suffering, rotting alleys and buildings instead of alternating them with beautiful ones or at least not so shabby..

If they ever will create a new game, well, I hope they'll learn to make Garrett swim, at least, and again with the sword, mines, oil, et cetera.

In my opinion I believe there will be another Thief game. The Thief series is a cash cow I believe. Why would EM/SE waste an opportunity to make some more money? If they shelf the Thief series then someone else could come up with an alternative to the Thief series and beat them to the profit line. As to if the next Thief will be a sequel to the reboot or something completely new, I have decided not to speculate any more since I am inclined to believe that EM would make the next Thief the way they envision it should be regardless of how others might want to see it.

I don''t have any numbers to back it up or anything, but I wouldn't consider Thief a cash cow. I don't believe any of the Thief games have been blockbuster hits. The gameplay overall just doesn't seem to appeal to the mainstream. I doubt that Thief will ever be an Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty type game, as far as sales go. Not enough action for the Gen Y-ers or Millennials.

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last