Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original intent of Blood Omen and Soul Reaver

I also never really looked at that thing you stand to get advice from the Elder God, and I notice that it has all of those weird faces that are on the columns in the room on it, and an eye in the center. Maybe this thing was supposed to be something that his old worshippers used to talk to him? Someone chosen would stand there and hear the voice of their god? I also went back to the Fire Glyph place and it's a little weird. The big statue of the demon clearly harkens back to Hash'ak'gik, yet there are also murals that look a lot like Vampires in the place, with their pointed ears. I wonder what's supposed to be going on there.
    I hope I haven't gotten too off topic in my own thread... I'm just really looking at everything this time through and thinking about how it all fits together, trying to find any clues to what might have been planned. And once again, I have no idea where that last life extending power up is.... I've never been able to find that thing. I mean, sure I could look online to find out, but it kind of takes the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha View Post
    Sun worship in the Silenced Cathedral? Hmmm... Maybe I'll have go back there. I noticed all those murals of monstrous looking things, and I've always assumed that those were made by the Vampire worshippers and were depicting their gods, the Vampires. Interesting that some clearly have bat wings though. Going into crazy theory mode here, but maybe there were some humans that lived there that worshipped Raziel's children, and were living in hiding until Zephon had them killed?
    I took some screencaps of the glyph murals and one within the Silenced Cathedral.

Here's a not-so-great shot of the soul devouring creatures. They're sort of emaciated. Some appear to be suffering, others are feeding quite happily on the wisps of souls. In the background are what appear to be humans under the tutelage or worship of a giant being carrying a hammer, much like the shrine's statue:

And the shrine statue itself:

And from within the Silenced Cathedral. You can see a few painted figures holding sun-like spheres. They also seem to be blowing air: representative of the deadly power of sound to the vampires? There are also some Egyptian themed hieroglyphics: creatures with dog-like heads, etc. No photograph of the latter, unfortunately:

Here's the figure from the fire forge. I always thought it was an old representation of Kain, perhaps carved by humans first exposed to his reign hundreds of years ago.

Even if we can't divine the meaning of the murals, they still do their job: they're mysterious, interesting visually and thematically, and I'm still poring over them after playing the game for fifteen years

Yeah, that one in the Fire Glyph area looks like he has a scar on him like Kain's somewhat. Also, in the room with the water that you enter from, you can see murals of faces in profile, and they have pointed ears.

Yeah, that one in the Fire Glyph area looks like he has a scar on him like Kain's somewhat. Also, in the room with the water that you enter from, you can see murals of faces in profile, and they have pointed ears.
    I'm certain the 'Kain' mural in the fire forge was based on a sketch or concept piece by Daniel Cabuco... maybe I'm wrong. I always assumed however that it was some dark shrine or forge commemorating Kain.

The fire glyph area was meant to be located around Turel´s territory, near Dark Eden, which might explain the imagery.

Here is the completed Stone Glyph mural:

Here's the figure from the fire forge. I always thought it was an old representation of Kain, perhaps carved by humans first exposed to his reign hundreds of years ago.
    That mural was later reused in the Dark Forge in SR2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raina Audron View Post
    The fire glyph area was meant to be located around Turel´s territory, near Dark Eden, which might explain the imagery.

Here is the completed Stone Glyph mural:
    Wonderful I love this obscure, mysterious stuff. What do you think the significance of the mural is, in relation to Dark Eden?

That mural was later reused in the Dark Forge in SR2 as well.
    I've never noticed. I wonder if it was simply used to fill up space.

I never noticed that mural in the Fire Forge in SR2. I know about the painting that Janos has, but it looks very different. And are you sure that Turel's territory was supposed to be in Dark Eden? I thought Ben Lincoln was told that wasn't where it was supposed to be. I thought the current guess was Termagant Forest.
    I really wonder what's with the Glyphs anyway. We've got Nupraptor, demons, angels, giants, spirals... None of it seems all that connected. Stone and Sunlight both have spirals, but we don't see anything like that with Force, Water, Fire, or Sound. It seems like they thought out everything before they even made anything, so I just wonder what connection there is supposed to be here.
    And since it's been a while, I think I'll probably replay Soul Reaver 2 after this. I'll be taking a close look at everything this time as well. Maybe I'll notice some stuff I never did before.

I never noticed that mural in the Fire Forge in SR2. I know about the painting that Janos has, but it looks very different. And are you sure that Turel's territory was supposed to be in Dark Eden? I thought Ben Lincoln was told that wasn't where it was supposed to be
    The debug menu (it is listed under Dark Eden there) and Daniel himself confirmed that Fire Glyph was there. Turel´s territory was close but not in Dark Eden itself.
    http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/view...p?p=4156#p4156

The mural is found on the walls of the room where you push the dial to match the moon phase:

When you are replaying, good source to look at the murals/textures (at the bottom) is the wiki articles:
    http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Forge_%28SR2%29
    http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/L...orge_%28SR2%29
    http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Forge_%28SR2%29
    http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Air_Forge_%28SR2%29

Another one I'm wondering about this this mural of corpse-body Melchiah that Divine Shadow shows here (it's a ways down in her post, after all the artwork): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25939440 And the picture comes from here: http://s480.photobucket.com/user/map...chiah.jpg.html I don't remember ever seeing that in the game. Does anyone know where it is? I'd love to find and see it in the game itself.
    Also Raina, I remember Ben Lincoln theorizing that the cave with the fire between Dumah's territory and the Oracle's Cave might have originally have been the entrance to a tunnel leading up to that constructed stuff on the mountainside that you've pointed out. Do you think this is likely? Both you and he mention that Shift at Will would almost certainly be used, which of course makes perfect sense.

I think that that is just has several test murals/design on there and then later they picked the ones they thought worked the best. The small part you chose is indeed not in any of the games.

That´s not just a theory, it is the way how Raziel would got up on the high ledge above the clock dial. The entrance from ground level is where the small cave with the bonfire is. Here is what it would have probably looked like high above:

Raziel can perfectly reach the ledge on the right and then get to the larger platform from here.

The Silenced Cathedral murals / Stone Glyph giants:
    Nosgoth the Game may be doing its best to explain these. The different creatures = early devolutions of the clans, and each clan was warring with the others and blood-farming humans to serve them and/or march to war against the others. Would have been a very confusing time for humans, and this shows in the murals telling that history. The 6 armed guys = early zephonims before they went spider but had multiple limbs which turned into spider legs later. The monsters with hammers would be the vamp clan who turn into big bruisers in Nosgoth. The winged dragon-bat ones in several lizardy forms are the Razzies then.

Stone Glyph Mural of soul energy (or blood gift?!?!) going into or out of people:
    the cave is shown in contrast with the more modern human religion's chapel you leap from to get to the cave. So I'd guess the modern faith was shown as being off the mark and "false" while the mysterious cave dwelling cult seems to be closer to the truth (wheel of fate). What looks like cro-magnon worker slaves (or early devolved Melchihim?!) "hit the nail on the head" with their beliefs, to use a Hammer-Giant pun. They were right about there being some kind of Oversoul who ensouled each of them with a bit of its soul-stuff and then took it away from out their throats at death. The big blobs of energy at the stone carving's edge could be the Wheel and the "vines" of energy leading out in a circle around the creatures and back could represent reincarnation. (Another interpretation of that mural would be that it shows a vampiric sire/fledgling relationship with the way the blood gift link is coming out of one of them and transferring into the throat of others down the line! The big ball of energy would then represent how each clan leader was the one source for all the others' life force).

Underworld's soul fountain and spirals:
    I always camp there for a minute and just enjoy it. The flooded Lost City is what we're traversing through in that Underworld, right? So the fountain can be Atlantis tech from that society. An Altar where enough blood was spilled to justify the concentration of souls there.... Does a BO1 blood fountain rest on that site and manifest as a soul fountain in spectral.... Is it something prepared specially for the coming of the Raziel wraith by EG's minions. Or was the Underworld once teeming with spectral "life" who fed at that watering hole until the Elder God's reign threw that ecosystem into ruin. For the spirals & teleport gates: has Raziel's clan magic always been keyed to some spectral truth they glimpsed while vampire wraiths in the underworld??? When some wraiths returned to their bodies, did they come back with strange glyph knowledge of how to unlock magics in the material realm?! Like by building spiral designs into the gates so the gates were built on spectral foundations you could use to warp a shortcut through space. This may have started the Raz clan long ago on a converging path with the Elder God, as if their dark gifts were always destined to overlap with Elder God's nature, to become closely linked as if EG was what was waiting at the centre of the spiral!!!

What else goes away if BloodOmen = 1 week:
    it means Kain became guardian as an adult, like Malek is rumored to have changed into Conflict in later life. The entire "guardians from birth" thing gets torn down and discarded. Depending on your view, that can be a good thing or a bad thing. Bad if you wanted to see role playing adventures of the Scion searching all across Nosgoth's towns and countryside to seek out new guardians who could be anyone (with fresh new local content and stories to tell, like in Skyrim). But this "guardians chosen as adults" change is Good if you want to avoid jumping through a complicated set of story hoops just to get the pillars operational. (New players might find the guardian quests unrewarding like when we had to forge the reaver for the umpteenth time. You'd hear people say things like, "As a quest, this sucks!") The new way of looking at BloodOmen lets Kain get the new pillars started conveniently by giving the new guardian posts to his adult cronies, in other words whichever wacky new characters get introduced in future games with the purpose in mind of making them the new gaurdians at the end, like "surprise!" This means Less Footwork too, more time reserved for delving into ancient mysteries of the pillars deep underground to find out what makes them tick.

So I just beat the game again and there are a few more things for me to mention. I notice in the Oracle's Cave there are some murals of beings. One of them is someone with wings, a sword, and something covering his face, while the other one is some strange inhuman creature. I never really thought of these before, but could these be Ancient Vampires and Hylden? I don't know when in development they thought up the Hylden, but if they did, then those weird looking creatures could be some early design for them. And the angelic looking one, could it not just be an Ancient Vampire, but Raziel himself? He seems to have a cowl on his face just like Raziel, and instead of legs, he has some wispy thing going on. Maybe because Raziel is more of a wraith?
    Also, I have to disagree with some what's been assumed about what was supposed to happen later in the game. We've assumed that the scene that has Raziel confronting Kain was supposed to happen after the scene when Raziel strikes down Ariel, but I can't agree with this now. All of the scenes we see in the Chronoplast up to that point are in chronological order, so why should we assume that it's changed? In the Chronoplast, it shows Raziel standing in front of Kain with the normal blue Soul Reaver, then we go further ahead and see Raziel get the "Ariel Reaver", then after that it shows Raziel with the red and black Reaver. I'm thinking that maybe Raziel would have confronted Kain again, maybe that line about how the Reaver will only sting would have been said there, and then Raziel would have killed Ariel, and there would have been another confrontation. Maybe Raziel would meet up with Kain at the mountain retreat and we see the scene from the Chronoplast, Kain mocks Raziel and disappears after Raziel realizes that he can't kill Kain as he is, Raziel does something there that summons Ariel, he takes her soul into the Reaver, then he goes higher up and confronts Kain in a different scene.

TheSquid-
    Of course the series as it is has the Guardians born into their roles, I'm not arguing against that, since Kain, Ariel and others make it very clear that the Guardians are born into their roles, I'm just talking about Blood Omen itself. As for the Cathedral, it sounds plausible. We never find out when Zephon took the place over. Was it before or after Raziel was thrown into the Abyss? The place is huge, visible from the Lake of the Dead, so the Vampires must have noticed it well in advance. Maybe they just didn't bother for a while, like how Dumah's arrogance led to the attack on his territory? But in this case, they took out the humans before they could use the Cathedral.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha
    I never really thought of these before, but could these be Ancient Vampires and Hylden?
    As I recall, Daniel addressed those cave paintings in a comment. He mentioned they were entirely his invention, from before the Ancients or the Hylden "existed", simply because he needed something to decorate the walls. He also hinted that retroactively, yes, it makes sense that they might represent the two races.

All of the scenes we see in the Chronoplast up to that point are in chronological order, so why should we assume that it's changed?
    Agreed. Kain tells Raziel in dialogue that only the Ariel Reaver can strike him down, quite pointless if it's already mandatory to obtain that weapon before confronting him.

We never find out when Zephon took the place over. Was it before or after Raziel was thrown into the Abyss?
    I think there are enough clues to put together a pretty comprehensive history of the Silenced Cathedral. Just examine Zephon's dialogue a little more closely and you can figure out whether Raziel was around when he seized that place.

A sidenote: I really wish I had more time to help archive some of the recent information blasts over on the wiki and make them more accessible, as several of the questions raised in this thread have already been answered out there in the obscure corners of the net.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Though I mostly intend for this to be about Blood Omen and Soul Reaver, I've been replaying Soul Reaver 2 and have noticed a couple interesting connections to Soul Reaver that I never noticed before. They're both in that chamber that leads down to beneath the Pillars. First is the floor, which again is covered with spirals, though they look really weird this time and kind of remind me of crustaceans. For the second one, right after you enter the door with the Ancient Vampire (Raziel I suppose. I also never noticed that the circles around the hands were the Oroborous from the room with the Sarafan memorials, and that they also have wings, like how it appears in the Spectral Realm), turn around and look at the walls. These walls have the exact same symbols on them that you see on some things throughout Soul Reaver. The best example I can think of is on that thing right outside the Sarafan Tomb. I don't know if they just decided to reuse the texture or if it's supposed to have some deeper meaning, but this was pretty surprising to me.
    I'm also trying to figure out if the Underworld in Soul Reaver was supposed to have been built by Ancient Vampires, or later by human worshippers. Also, something else I forgot to mention about the Underworld is that in the Material Realm, the exit that Raziel uses that goes to those menhir things has spirals all over it, and is only open in the Spectral Realm. I just can't help but wonder if this is supposed to mean something. The only reason someone would put those spirals there that I can think of would be to be a sign to other worshippers, but the only way in has to do with the Spectral Realm. Could it be possible that it was supposed to be that others could enter the Spectral Realm to enter there? Or maybe there was supposed to be some magical way to open it. I just really wonder about that.

I don't know if they just decided to reuse the texture or if it's supposed to have some deeper meaning, but this was pretty surprising to me.
    I´ve noticed that as well, I do not think it is found anywhere else in the game. It is similar case to that vampire mural being reused in the Dark Forge...

The only reason someone would put those spirals there that I can think of would be to be a sign to other worshippers, but the only way in has to do with the Spectral Realm. Could it be possible that it was supposed to be that others could enter the Spectral Realm to enter there?
    When EG destroyed the Lost City, the cataclysm might have cause the creation of these underground cavers. It might have become accessible in the spectral realm only later on, when EG´s influence spread and he maybe sealed it off so nobody would find him or something.

Not really sure if the devs planned to have it open at first and then sealed it off or because it was just an early stage of production:

(click image to enlarge)

I just found that mural from the Fire Glyph area from Soul Reaver in the Dark Forge in Soul Reaver 2. I never noticed that before! And you're saying it's also in the Fire Forge?

I just found that mural from the Fire Glyph area from Soul Reaver in the Dark Forge in Soul Reaver 2.
    I have pointed that out in my post above.

No, it is not found in Fire Forge in SR2, only the Dark Forge.

I meant that to more in reply to what you said, but I see I worded it weird. I mean that I went into the Dark Forge looking for it like you said it was in there, and I found it.

Oooh, I see, it wasn´t clear but yeah, it is cool, it that makes you wonder what vampire it was then if it was drawn during Ancient´s times...

Well that's the thing I wonder. Is there some meaning to these images being reused in Soul Reaver 2, or did they just feel like using them again? It really seems that they thought everything out, so I wouldn't think that they just felt like reusing them because they could, so what meaning could it have that this same Vampire image is in the Fire Glyph area, and that those symbols in the pathway to beneath the Pillars appear throughout Nosgoth in Soul Reaver?

You could center a new story around what happened to the sunken city and why, and what they did to anger or threaten a god so much that he felt the need to flood their town, and who was speaking to It using that oracle dais, and what direction was the oracle taking their civilization in, and why was the city located deep underground to begin with (as if they already had something to hide before the squid came knocking), and what did they know before the end that made their drowning essential, and what they did to fight back, and was it effective??? (could Kain discover there the secret method of defeating EG that the Lost City pioneered?), and how will Kain get there to explore the place (overcome water weakness? learn to squint his way into spectral for short bursts like a spectral diver holding his breath? Or would he dam the waterfalls above the abyss to dry out some of the area beneath for vampire exploration?) Or..... he can just walk there "now" because we left him in Blood Omen times before the place was flooded!

Rather than the Elder God flooding the place, I get the feeling that the various cataclysms caused by the destruction of the Pillars was what flooded it. Everything about the place suggests to me that it was all about Elder God worship. Like that thing with the souls that appear, it might have been made to channel souls to the Elder God, and that thing that Raziel stands on to get advice from the Elder God might have been used for the same reason long ago by priests. The spirals everywhere are another thing. In SR2, in the pathway leading to beneath the Pillars there are spirals all over the place again, and I realized while playing that this was actually foreshadowing that the Ancient Vampires were Elder God worshippers, since the area beneath the Pillars was obviously built by them. I'm replaying Defiance now and the area that leads down to where Kain first confronts Moebius has the same type of spirals everywhere that we saw in SR2, and then we see the same thing in the beginning area for Raziel. The ruins that have this look only end in Raziel's when Raziel gets out of the flooded area, so this means that the cemetery was build on top of these ruins. I can't believe I never thought about that before.
    The fact that we find that area beneath the Pillars with murals made by the Ancient Vampires means that all of the underground areas like this were made by them. They all have spirals, and what's weird is that we only seem to see the spirals in underground areas. I'll be sure to take a look around the Vampire Citadel, but I don't remember seeing spirals there. The fact that we see the exact same type of murals beneath the Pillars as above ground in the Forges means that they had the same architects and culture, so that means Ancient Vampire. This means that it's most likely that the areas with spirals in other areas most likely were also built by them.
    I just keep wondering. Where the spiral areas built by a different sect of Ancient Vampires? Why don't we see the spirals in other areas? I just can't help but feel that there's some conclusion we can come to if we examine it. These spirals can't just be dismissed. They might look a bit different in SR than later (much more detailed, but also a bit more like crustaceans to me), but I still think that they're absolutely connected. We see the spirals in each game with Raziel (That is, each game absolutely led by Amy Hennig), and each time they're associated with the Elder God, and underground.
    What's also interesting is that the Underworld in SR and the area Raziel starts in in Defiance look pretty similar (at least to me) and looking completely different from any Ancient Vampire place we see in either SR2 or Defiance. Of course, like in real life, just because it's the same race with the same religion doesn't mean that there couldn't be very different cultures around that religion. The above ground ones could have had a different culture than the ones below ground, except that we also have the area below the Pillars which instead is kind of a combination of these two styles. If we assume that there really were two different cultures of the same race (Ancient Vampire), and pretty much the same religion (The Wheel of Fate), then maybe they came together to build that area beneath the Pillars?
    The area beneath the Pillars would obviously have been built at the time the Pillars were being raised, but the murals could have been painted afterwords. Maybe they were planning on having something else painted, but after the Hylden cursed them, they decided to paint depictions of that.
    And speaking of different cultures, what about the fact that none of the Forges in Soul Reaver have the same type of look at all, yet they all have the exact same art style used in their murals? There could have been wildly different cultures between them all, but they all came together for the holy war against the Hylden, maybe similar to things like the Arab Revolt back in the 1910's (I'm reading The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence right now, so that's on my mind and was the first thing that came to mind to compare to). While they might have had their troubles with each other, this common enemy of theirs, who likely did something they considered horribly blasphemous and beyond offensive (like the theory that the Hylden were working on a means of achieving immortality) made them rally together. I really wish we could have seen those last Forges that were planned for SR2. We know that the lake has a huge design of the Spirit Reaver, so this most likely was going to be used for that. I'm wondering if Raziel would have gone to the place at some point when it wasn't submerged and still intact, and we would have seen the spirals everywhere there as well. The Spirit Fore almost certainly would have been the last, and maybe that's where Raziel would have found murals making it clear that the Ancient Vampires worshipped the Elder God. Maybe he would have noticed identical architecture to what he saw before beneath the Lake of the Dead, saw the spirals everywhere and despaired that these people he had looked to for guidance turned out themselves to be worshippers of the Elder God.
    Also just a fun little thought, what if that design was going to teleport Raziel to some other area, the actual Spirit Forge, and after a while, Raziel would have realized that he was back beneath the Lake of the Dead, that the area he woke up as a wraith was in fact the Spirit Forge the entire time?

Well that was quite a bit of typing.... I really just can't help but feel that these spirals are important and that if we piece things together we might discover something. I'm amazed that I haven't seen anyone else mention this before, or at least, I sure don't remember seeing anyone say this sort of thing here before.

Also just a fun little thought, what if that design was going to teleport Raziel to some other area, the actual Spirit Forge, and after a while, Raziel would have realized that he was back beneath the Lake of the Dead, that the area he woke up as a wraith was in fact the Spirit Forge the entire time?
    That was my idea for some time about how Defiance could have ended actually. Rather than activating the Spirit Forge at the Vampire Citadel during the young Kain battle with the Hylden Lord it should have been activated under the Abyss in the future, after Raziel and Kain used Chronoplast. Raziel could have used his Wraith Blade powers to open the path to the Elder God's lair in the Material Realm and raise water a little bit (enough for Kain to enter a later time) and then activate the Spirit Forge, purifying the Wraith Blade (thus no question about "From which time Ariel was called?", since it would be after the events of the first Soul Reaver game). After activation the Elder God would have summoned deranged Janos from the Demon Realm (thus answering the question "What happened with Janos after BO2?") with Raziel forcing to defeat him and then shift to the Spectral Realm to weaken Janos' spirit and devour him. After this Raziel would have realized that he is trapped, since he cannot return to the Material Realm and cannot escape the Lair in Spectral (Elder could have block the entrance with his tentacles, for example, as Raziel cannot harm him with Wrait Blade). Everything else is the same - Kain returns from the Demon Realm in future (as time flows differently there), Raziel purifies him, Kain fight the Elder God under the Abyss and destroy him and after this restore the Pillars.

Here is what Daniel said on the matter:
    As far as I can tell you, The Elder God was known for 'Pulling things down' . So the Lost City was pulled into the Abyss by the Elder God, as were many areas. (like the end citadel in Defiance) I don't really know what the direct connection was. The lost city probably had a backstory with the Elder God, allowing him purchase on that part of the world so he could pull it down into the depths of the world.

the "creation" of the pillars mural in SR2's ElderGod Chamber sums up how the reaver forges joined forces. You see the four chieftains of the elements, like each element's pope, coming together with the high priest (who must have represented Balance) to raise the pillars. Each elemental bossman was responsible for splitting his element's powers up so they were the source of 2 pillars per element. So..... it looks like the elements each had a magical tradition in Nosgoth (regional cults of devoted sorcerers) complete with big temple complexes (the forges) and they all chipped in to create the United Nations of magic (the pillars), and the reaver was like the 10th Pillar (the key), so they each also supplied a reaver power-up for the vampire messiah to collect when the time was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance Reaver View Post
    (thus no question about "From which time Ariel was called?", since it would be after the events of the first Soul Reaver game).
    Totally forgot about that bit of awkwardness. So she was snapped back in time like a rubber band from the furthest point she'd lived as a ghost all the way back to the Spirit Forge event? Removing Ariel from the board kind of makes me sad because it signaled Amy was about to move forward with the next chapter of Pillar history so it was time to clean house and bring the Ariel haunting to a close so things could move forward..... and then things never moved forward and we didn't get to see how she was going to have the Scion nudge the ninefold spires back to life.

What about purchasing those Hennig Notes at some kind of auction or estate sale? Her unused scribbles are like our version of the Kennedy assassination details that got withheld from the public for 40 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast