Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: What do ya guys think?...

What do ya guys think?...

Originally Posted by Adrian Shephard
    Yay, DX quotes!
    After the initial discussion, I was tempted to quote Nicolette.

"Through with your testosterone fit? There's a pill for that, you know."

Maybe next time....
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    Haha, how generous of you. It's more of a hermit hole.
    A hole? A hole's no fit for them pretty eyes!
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by FrankCSIS
    A hole? A hole's no fit for them pretty eyes!

Excuse me? I am the "creepy" one here, get out!

So much for the "window to the soul"

Thanks for ruining this otherwise perfectly romantic moment at the Venice airport, my good Fox!
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by CyberP
    Excuse me? I am the "creepy" one here, get out!
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Rolleyes

Originally Posted by CyberP
    Mrs. Mejerwall (or Ms? ), I need help with my programming. Know unrealscript or C++? C++ you most certainly know, and Unrealscript is based upon C++. I need everything in the Tick() function to stop happening once the flesh fragments hit the floor, and I need this to only stop happening to the individual pieces that fall, but not all the other pieces currently stuck to the wall dripping blood. How do I do this, can you help me finish off my expansion to Deus Ex's gore? You don't need to be succinctly specific since I doubt you know Deus Ex's code (though I wrote this specific class).

All that's happening in the tick function is blood is spawned on occassion and on a rarer occasion the flesh fragments fall off the wall.

Code:
    //=============================================================================
    // FleshFragmentWall.             //CyberP: guts up the wall
    //=============================================================================
    class FleshFragmentWall expands DeusExFragment;

auto state Flying

{

function BeginState()
    	{
    	   local rotator rot;

DrawScale = FRand();
           rot.Pitch = FRand()+1*6000;
           rot.Yaw =   FRand()+1*6000;
           rot.Roll =  FRand()+1*6000;
           if (FRand() < 0.8)
           Skin=None;
        }

}

function Tick(float deltaSeconds)
    {

Super.Tick(deltaSeconds);

if (FRand() < 0.015)
    	{
                Spawn(class'BloodDropWall',,, Location);
            }

if (FRand() < 0.0025)
                {
                SetPhysics(PHYS_Falling);        
                Mass = 5.000000;
                elasticity = 0.400000;
                }
    }

defaultproperties
    {
         Fragments(0)=LodMesh'DeusExItems.FleshFragment1'
         Fragments(1)=LodMesh'DeusExItems.FleshFragment2'
         Fragments(2)=LodMesh'DeusExItems.FleshFragment3'
         Fragments(3)=LodMesh'DeusExItems.FleshFragment4'
         numFragmentTypes=4
         ImpactSound=Sound'DeusExSounds.Generic.FleshHit1'
         MiscSound=Sound'DeusExSounds.Generic.FleshHit2'
         Physics=PHYS_Flying
         LifeSpan=50.000000
         Skin=Texture'HDTPItems.Skins.HDTPFleshFragTex1'
         Mesh=LodMesh'DeusExItems.FleshFragment1'
         CollisionRadius=0.100000
         CollisionHeight=0.100000
         bBounce=False
         Mass=0.000000
         Buoyancy=5.500000
         bVisionImportant=True
    }
    Hello,

while I appreciate the challenge and am no stranger to Unreal, I'm going to have to pass on this one.
    During my more than ten years of programming, the companies I've worked for have evaluated and approved my skill just like with every other programmer they've hired, so I see no need for further tests :-) You can rest assured that I know what I'm doing.

Besides - we wouldn't want me to move my focus from work, now would we guys?

We're unexpectedly back on tracks!

There are more plot twists and excitement to this thread than a Norwegian firewood tv show!

To be completely honest with you I don't actually know how to do as instructed. I was hiding my incompetence behind the guise of a test, though I did actually want to test you. It was a 2-in-1 proposal for me.
    For all I have done for Deus Ex in terms of programming It's amazing I have not ****ed the game up. Well, I'm cautious as I code, research everything, and I certainly know what I am doing in terms of design having learnt from the mistakes and successes of your peers both current and of yore but there's many great ideas I've had to pass up on because I don't have the ability to implement them.

Originally Posted by mejerwall
    You can rest assured that I know what I'm doing.
    You sound confident. Good. I too am confident. Very confident with design, not so much with programming, but I've only been doing programming specifically for just over a year & I'm learning as I go. In my defense since it's just me I do far more than just programming. A Jack of a number of game devs skills, master of design only ;)

As for the gore behavior, you can see in this video that the gore on the floor @00:57 onward jitters a touch where it's physics are still on occasion being set to Physics Type_falling despite being on the floor. Not only that but they still spurt blood when on the floor, but I think I will leave the latter as is by design. From a player's POV this is hardly a problem, performance is surprisingly not impacted with gore everywhere even on a low-end machine and only a keen eye will spot the rare jitter, however it is the job of a designer, programmer & perfectionist to get it right and I won't be releasing the next version until I get that physics change sorted. I take improving Deus Ex & the game itself a little too seriously, but hey, that's how good art is made, even if you're piggybacking off of someone else's IP. You & me both, baby.
    The love for the game or concept is more important than your skills, because those with the love will handle with utmost care & passion, not to mention they'll improve their skills at a fast rate in the process, but hey. I'm biased. ;)

I'm aware that getting this code to stop executing after the desired conditions are met is very simple in the overall complexity potential of programming but there's basics I've missed given my approach to learning that I will revise in due time. My methods may be unconventional, but I'm successfully taking Deus Ex's core design to the next level (where possible) and nobody can convince me otherwise. If I do something unsuitable I go back and fix it, or it immediately gets scrapped of course.
    Here's to you guys taking Human Revolution to the next level, if that is your goal. Hell, that's if gameplay programmer for Deus Ex 4/HR 2 is even your assigned role and they haven't got you working on some mobile app being named the "next Deus Ex" :/ Sorry, just had to end on a negative note as is customary around here, especially after the Fall.

Anyway, I think I'll use a ForEach loop to iterate through the fragments and go from there. Just another problem that needs solving, another piece of the never ending puzzle that is programming.

Page 3 of 3 First First 123