Thread: Thief up for Golden Joystick Awards - Winners Announced!

Thief up for Golden Joystick Awards - Winners Announced!

Thief up for Golden Joystick Awards - Winners Announced!

Thief is currently up for some Golden Joystick Awards over at CVG in a couple categories. You can vote for it at the links below.

Originally Posted by CVG
    As you'd expect from a game about hiding in the shadows, the lighting effects in Thief are gorgeous. Garrett clings to the shadows naturally, avoiding or negating brightly-lit areas with his toolset. It would be all-too easy to make a game like this feel dull and depressing, but Thief's moody setting is so well crafted it's a treat to sneak through.

Originally Posted by CVG
    Luc St Pierre's original soundtrack for Thief, recorded by the FILMharmonic Orchestra Prague, has an ambient and gritty feel that perfectly complements the stealthy gameplay to which it provides the background.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

I would definitely vote for it in visual design. Probably one of the best looking games I've ever played. But not audio design though, I didn't feel like the music was that fantastic. Too much orchestra, and especially not when Transistor is also in the nominations.

Thanks for the info, MT.

I see the site accepts votes instantly without any requirement to register/sign up.
    Cooler than cool. .
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    I see the site accepts votes instantly without any requirement to register/sign up.
    Looks like you cant submit votes without being a registered user. The pages says:

"To submit your votes in the Golden Joystick Awards 2014, you must be a registered CVG user."

Originally Posted by Izztyrr
    Looks like you cant submit votes without being a registered user. The pages says:

"To submit your votes in the Golden Joystick Awards 2014, you must be a registered CVG user."
    Yeah, I got that too. I just signed in with my Yahoo account that I never use.

Dammit, yeah, my bad.
    In my rush, I thought "selected" was confirmation of "voted".
    What a pain. I guess I'll lregister when I'm back online later.
    signature image

Voted !

Huh, Thief isn't up for "Best Storytelling." I'm shocked.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Originally Posted by HHereIsItNormalV
    Voted !

I've got it together now too.

FYI, everyone, voting closes on 20th October 2014.
    signature image

Originally Posted by brethren
    Huh, Thief isn't up for "Best Storytelling." I'm shocked.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Thief did have some decent visuals, but man there are some really visually interesting games on that list.

Done ! Votes are always subjectives, no matter what we think... All these games deserve an Award for me. Just my opinion.
    signature image
    Error. No keyboard. Press F1 to continue.

I find the wording of these awards to be a tad ambiguous: does "visual design" refer to the graphics or the aesthetics of the game in question? THIEF is certainly impressive from a technical standpoint, especially considering it runs on the now-aging Unreal 3 engine, but for me the aesthetic design is far too bland and monotonous. I know it's supposed to be dark and depressing, but Dishonored still managed to get the same feel without putting an artificial colour filter over everything. In fact, I'd say Dishonored's vibrant colour scheme was used quite well to contrast with the dank and unpleasant underbelly. In THIEF, even the decadent areas of the city seem washed-out, so it just ends up feeling dull rather than atmospheric.

As for audio design: need I even explain this?

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    <Snip>
    Strange post to make considering that you're a ferret, not a raccoon.

I don't want to do it, but I feel obligated to.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Originally Posted by InDIGnation
    Strange post to make considering that you're a ferret, not a raccoon.
    I have my allies...

(click image to enlarge)
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Adorable.
    signature image

Audio design?...

signature image

I can't believe AC4 beat Transistor for best audio. Or how DayZ beat Transistor for best indie game.

I need to go and replay Transistor.

I guess its all a matter of taste. I prefer the AC4 soundtrack to Transistor's.
    signature image