Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Features/Ideas] What would you like to see?

I'm curious as to what people exactly mean by the RPG elements they would want to see in TR, or a TR style RPG. Please elaborate.

-Open World with lots of hidden stuff (Tombs, Kingdoms etc)
    -Fancy artefacts (As seen in the LC games) that can be equipt
    -Tonnes of AI, everywhere

That's basically what an RPG game is, right?
    signature image

-Open World environments (preferably how Assassin's Creed does it)
    -Side-missions
    -Approachable NPC's and have conversations with them and gain background information on the location, situation, people, etc.
    -Loot and inventory systems
    -Crafting (not too complex)
    -Non-linear approach to story telling
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    When RPG comes up I think of Rocket-propelled Grenade Launchers - which I wouldn't mind having in TR

Anyway, I like you two guys ideas and I support them

Quote Originally Posted by CroftManiac View Post
    You just made my day!!
    Glad to entertain

Quote Originally Posted by CroftManiac View Post
    I said that Health regain has it's drawbacks as well , it is just that it seemed ( at least to me ) more realistic than the ordinary health bar!
    Yeah I know. To me, the difference between health packs and 5 second health-regen is like trying to decide between putting a pink elephant or a green elephant into a "realistic" game

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I think the problem is pace.

I'd love a realistic TR, but just think about how slow it would be. I've heard the "use a medipack to regain health" argument many times, but this is a band-aid solution*. You want realism? She would need to patch her leg up, then limp for about half an hour until the pain was bearable. And this is ignoring bones and arteries altogether.

I think the best option would be somewhere in the middle. Use a medipack to repair a wound, with the injury effects minimised over a short time.

This would very much change the style of the game. About 90% less bullets would need to be on-target, or the player would be quickly overwhelmed.

*punintended

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Yeah I know. To me, the difference between health packs and 5 second health-regen is like trying to decide between putting a pink elephant or a green elephant into a "realistic" game
    This.
    signature image

-
    -Tonnes of AI, everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    -
    -Approachable NPC's and have conversations with them and gain background information on the location, situation, people, etc.
    And what would these tons of AI/approachable NPCs be doing in these long lost isolated locations that Lara discovers may I ask?

I mean Temples and tombs that no living person has discovered in centuries are what Tomb Raider is about, right? Not some bustling town. I wouldn't mind a few very light rpg elements like equipment crafting or something,but let's not get carried away . I'd be quite put off from playing a game where we're having to have conversations with the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    And what would these tons of AI/approachable NPCs be doing in these long lost isolated locations that Lara discovers may I ask?

I mean Temples and tombs that no living person has discovered in centuries are what Tomb Raider is about, right? Not some bustling town. I wouldn't mind a few very light rpg elements like equipment crafting or something,but let's not get carried away . I'd be quite put off from playing a game where we're having to have conversations with the locals.
    The town would be at one corner of the map and it's the place were Lara would visit shops to buy weapons and grappling hooks and stuff.

From there she would take the motorcycle through the jungle path towards the hidden temple...

So now we have to go shopping too? Excuse me while I take a kip during that part of the game. Wake me up when we get to the good bit. Zzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by darksaiyan View Post
    I think the problem is pace.

I'd love a realistic TR, but just think about how slow it would be. I've heard the "use a medipack to regain health" argument many times, but this is a band-aid solution*. You want realism? She would need to patch her leg up, then limp for about half an hour until the pain was bearable. And this is ignoring bones and arteries altogether.

I think the best option would be somewhere in the middle. Use a medipack to repair a wound, with the injury effects minimised over a short time.

This would very much change the style of the game. About 90% less bullets would need to be on-target, or the player would be quickly overwhelmed.

*punintended

This.
    I won't be an issue of pacing, it would just be a heavily imbalanced game for the player. If you're going with ultra-realism, then just one well-aimed bullet could take you to the game over screen. I doubt many people would want that in a video game.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    I won't be an issue of pacing, it would just be a heavily imbalanced game for the player. If you're going with ultra-realism, then just one well-aimed bullet could take you to the game over screen. I doubt many people would want that in a video game.
    But that would cause a pace problem. The player would be forever in cover, to afraid to poke their head out, or taking time to patch up.
    And what of the UI? You're in the middle of a firefight, to go into a "patch up menu" so you don't die?
    I did mention the amount of action that would need to be removed to balance the game. It would come down to having always moving stealthily, sitting behind cover, few and roughly predictable enemies etc. MGS3 and 4 are basically this - slow and methodical - but still don't have any realistic healing.

signature image

I doubt Lara will be visiting isolated locations all the time. She'll run into people on her adventures, like in the films, in the comics and in the games. I've previously suggested that TR (if it were to go Open World) could take on Assassin's Creed- style of open world where you're presented with the option to travel between different locations and explore them freely. It would be nice to have a variation of populated and isolated areas. Look at how AC4 does it for example.

http://i.imgur.com/las3zAI.png

Half Life and it's A+ realism.
    signature image

Realism sucks, if you're asking me
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

Well Roy, there could easily be an ancient civilisation buried beneath a mountain or just a few monks here and there. Plus what Jurre said about a town and yes shopping! I wanna buy Lara a summer dress to do raiding in!
    signature image

So now we have to go shopping too? Excuse me while I take a kip during that part of the game. Wake me up when we get to the good bit. Zzzzz
    I believe I saw you saying that you don't play many games other than Tomb Raider. Believe me then, it is always a good and exciting thing to have some kind of shop in a game were the protagonist can buy and upgrade his stuff and gain new things. It is also a reason to collect money and valuable things - something that fits within the TR formula.

^ Yep, one of the main reasons I explore everything in RPGs is because there's a reward, whether you find sth good, or you find enough money to buy sth good, plus there's experience In Dragon Age: Origins, I was level 23 by the end of it, and level 33 by the end of Awakening, getting those achievements was easy TR2013 had it good, exploring, giving you XP, but so much more can be done with that
    signature image

But that would cause a pace problem. The player would be forever in cover, to afraid to poke their head out, or taking time to patch up.
    And what of the UI? You're in the middle of a firefight, to go into a "patch up menu" so you don't die?
    I did mention the amount of action that would need to be removed to balance the game. It would come down to having always moving stealthily, sitting behind cover, few and roughly predictable enemies etc. MGS3 and 4 are basically this - slow and methodical - but still don't have any realistic healing.
    Well of course, a heavily imbalanced game like that will suffer from terrible pacing. Unless you aim to get a tactical stealth game, you'd want your game mechanics to be complimentary to each other to avoid bottlenecks like these.

I rather have this kind of verisimilitude in TR though TR9 had some terrible writing imo
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    I believe I saw you saying that you don't play many games other than Tomb Raider. Believe me then, it is always a good and exciting thing to have some kind of shop in a game were the protagonist can buy and upgrade his stuff and gain new things. It is also a reason to collect money and valuable things - something that fits within the TR formula.
    That's just the thing though. I can't think of anything more painfully boring than haggling at at a market stall for weapon parts/equipment or whatever. I don't enjoy shopping and crowds irl, why would I subject myself to that in a game? . What happens when Lara runs out of ammo, does she need to trek it back to the stall for more#? *mid combat* "Hey guys, give me an hour while I go shopping for more supplies!" (#rhetorical question).

I'm all for exploration and finding things, you're right, it fits tomb raider well and has always had that there.

Oooh, I know, let's have a souvenir stall right outside the tomb selling 'authentic' artefacts, Lara won't even need to go in .

@Abe,

Well I don't recall you having a problem with the campfires in TR9: they are technically shops - buy upgrades with salvage and XP.

Problems like running out of ammo in the middle of nowhere and things of that nature can all be solved: dead enemies drop ammo of course and if it turns out to be too unworkable and frustrating to go back to the town if Lara does run out of ammo than ammo boxes just pop out of nowhere as is already the case in TR9 - I once ran out of ammo when fighting the super oni and ammo boxes just appeared in the corner of the arena when I wasn't looking in that direction...

There's always a solution to that kind of things: it's not rocket science...

There's always a solution to that kind of things: it's not rocket science...
    It should be. I want Lara Croft in space.

@Roy, I like Abe, I'ma keep it

EDIT: Don't forget we also have fast travel as an option
    signature image

It should be. I want Lara Croft in space.
    I once proposed that, Lara going to Mars to recover a crashed spacecraft

Rai, what I forgot to mention: I want to stress that usually in these RPG sort of games the player has a great amount of freedom - if you don't like a certain thing you don't have to do it. That's the beauty of it.

@Jurre, Yeah I liked the campsites. I didn't have to talk/haggle with them and the upgrade xp system was fairly simple .

@Abe, if you're gonna change my name too, can you at least keep me female? Ta

I want to stress that usually in these RPG sort of games the player has a great amount of freedom - if you don't like a certain thing you don't have to do it.
    Thus defeating its entire purpose.

If Lara doesn't have to take that motorcycle through the jungle path towards the hidden temple to upgrade weapons and buy ammo, etc, and if she can just as well do it in the heat of the battle with magically appearing ammo boxes, etc, then why even go through the trouble of making that RPG temple in the far corner of the map in the first place...

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

@Abe, if you're gonna change my name too, can you at least keep me female? Ta
    Royette?

You shall now be know as Roo then
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Thus defeating its entire purpose.

If Lara doesn't have to take that motorcycle through the jungle path towards the hidden temple to upgrade weapons and buy ammo, etc, and if she can just as well do it in the heat of the battle with magically appearing ammo boxes, etc, then why even go through the trouble of making that RPG temple in the far corner of the map in the first place...
    Um, first of all, she wouldn't be buying it at a temple, who opens up shops in ruins? Second of all, yes, she will pick up ammo from dead enemies, but she can't pick up upgrades. If Tomb Raider had a magical artifact as a weapon (a thing I was proposing many times), it could be upgraded in a village where a shaman can imbue it with magic and poisons, thus you need to find these components while you're exploring. As for her guns, she can find rare metals perhaps (rare because some ancient civilization had them ) so she can upgrade them.
    But she's no longer on the island, she can buy all these guns and upgrades legally in cities and stuff? Ok, maybe this shaman can add some juice to her guns as well, (frost damage so the enemies are slower and have a chance of freezing, and fire damage which causes damage over time). Maybe even an XP boost. And all these thing cost money and components, which would add to the TR experience, IMO. Of course, this needs to be done right, in order to feel like it belongs, but I think my idea's good

And bear in mind, this wouldn't be a quest, like "bring 3 poison weeds to the shaman", fetch quest are boring. No, it would be in true TR fashion, you have this big section and maybe you stumble upon an ore or a plant, or magical fairy dust, I don't know. So you pick it up not knowing what it is. You finish a tomb or whatever reason you went to that part of the world, and you're back at the village (which serves as a hub) and Lara's like "Oi, yo, shaman dude, I found this weird-ass thing, you know what it is?" and he's like "OMG, it's [insert ancient god's name]'s fart dust, I must have it, I give you 50 money for that, and I also upgrade your weapon with it" and all of a sudden you have a stinky weapon that stunts enemies
    Jokes aside, it can work and it would be awesome, replay value would be there, lots of experimentation, all of it

As for travelling, well I'll let others think of a solution for that. Many TR fans say they like exploring, so having a motorcycle would be nice, or even going on foot. Fast travel should only be possible once you complete that section of the game, like in TR2013.
    signature image

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast