Page 1 of 178 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: RotTR is a timed XBox exclusive | MS publishing for Xbox | PS+PC release confirmed

RotTR is a timed XBox exclusive | MS publishing for Xbox | PS+PC release confirmed

Just announced at Gamescom!

[edit]

*** Collection of updates and articles on the MS deal and related industry info below. Newer additions at the top ***

---

July 4, 2016

Tomb Raider II (1997) was a PlayStation exclusive.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=189855

---

August 14, 2015

Phil Spencer on why Xbox One catching up with PS4's sales isn't his priority

"Honestly, I think it's about growing Xbox. Sony's had great success with PlayStation, they've earned that success over multiple decades of building a great product. Kudos to them for their market position," he said in an interview with Eurogamer."All I can do is focus on Xbox, and I love that. I love our fans and the partners we have. We're growing Xbox year on year, we're bigger than we were this time in the 360 generation, so generation over generation we're in a better spot, year over year we're in a better spot. We're seeing more people online, more games being sold, more consoles being sold. So generally I feel good about the trajectory we're on."

"I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells," continued Spencer "I think about what we're going to do, and how many Xbox customers we have across 360, Xbox One and Windows – thinking about the combined community of people on Xbox and playing those games, and that number's never been bigger.

"There are ways to sell consoles by losing more money on hardware and building an unnatural business construct that I'd never want to do – at the end, when people make a commitment to Xbox and the consoles they buy, the games they buy, they want to know that Microsoft and Xbox is in it for the long run. To sacrifice the long term for any short term gain doesn't make any sense.
    "I really focused on our first-party investment, and you see it showing up in 2015 and 2016. Next year's line-up is pretty incredible, and we haven't even talked about all the games that are coming next year."
    ---

August 13, 2015

Phil Spencer on Xbox's big year : The importance of exclusives, PC, VR and more.

It seems a lot calmer this year - with Tomb Raider last year it was a bit more heated. Given that we now know the exclusivity window, was it worth it - however much you paid to have Tomb Raider for that time?

Phil Spencer: Well, no doubt. The opportunity to work with Crystal and Square on bringing that game to our platform - I don't know if you're seen the longer demo - it's really going to be a fantastic game. I learnt some things last year about how we announced it, the words we chose and what they meant. There was some sentiment after, there was no doubt about that, and I tried to be as clear as I could after the presentation last year, and this year, in how we've talked about it. Definitely it was a good learning experience last year.

Overall, having that game on our platform - we don't have a game like that in our first-party portfolio. We have a long-term relationship with Crystal - more than just on this game, and that's not always exposed. Every time I'm down there in the Bay Area I go in and they give me the controller and let me play. It'll be good for Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I'm looking forward to continue to build the relationship with that studio and that franchise. It's good for us.
    ---

August 8, 2015

Rise of the Tomb Raider Follow-Up Teased, Not an Xbox-Only IP

[SE's Phil Rogers] revealed the key detail when asked about the controversy and backlash surrounding Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity deal with Xbox.

"We believe first and foremost this is the right thing to do with Tomb Raider right now," Rogers said about the deal with Microsoft. "What it's done for the sake of the studio and the next beat with the Tomb Raider trilogy... But the backlash is--we've watched carefully and we believe it's the right thing to do."

A Square Enix representative told GameSpot, "We're always thinking about the future of the franchise, but right now we're focused on the upcoming release of Rise of the Tomb Raider."

Also in our interview with Rogers, we asked if Square Enix would consider more exclusive deals with Microsoft--or other companies--in the future.

"We're very much a game-by-game, case-by-case company. I can't rule it out," Rogers said. "But as with any exclusivity, they're really tough decisions."

Rogers pointed out that there are many advantages to partnering with Xbox for Rise of the Tomb Raider, not the least of which was having the Microsoft marketing machine behind the game. But exclusivity deals also have disadvantages, including disappointing PlayStation and PC fans in the short-term.

He went on say, however, that Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity deal with Microsoft should not be seen as a step toward the franchise becoming a full exclusive to Xbox.

"We don't see this over time becoming an Xbox IP," Rogers said about Tomb Raider. "This is a story and we'll look back over the Tomb Raider franchise and history, and it will be a chapter where it was a timed-exclusive with Xbox."
    ---

August 8, 2015

Xbox One Interview: Phil Spencer on Microsoft's First-Party Focus

---

August 2, 2015

Xbox One Focusing On First Party Over Third-Party Exclusive, Says Phil Spencer

"Xbox Head Phil Spencer made clear that the long-term strategy for the console is first-party exclusives like Halo 5: Guardians, Forza Motorsport 6, and Quantum Break..."

“My Strategy is more around our own first party franchises, and investing in franchises that we own, and probably fewer exclusive deals for third party content,” a tired looking Spencer told the Chinese gaming site, Gamecore(via Reddit), at the Chinajoy convention. “I want to have strong third party relations, but paying for many third party exclusives isn’t our long term strategy.”

"Microsoft’s overall developer studio structure looks better prepared to handle multiple first-party exclusive than at any time in the Xbox’s history"

---

August 1, 2015

30 Big timed exclusive games that didn’t cause outrage (like Rise of the Tomb Raider)

---

July 28, 2015

Sony Doesn’t Need to Buy Exclusivity, Says PlayStation Europe Boss (article from August 2014)

---

July 28, 2015

Square CEO on Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One exclusivity & Microsoft's passion

---

July 23, 2015

PlayStation and PC release confirmed.

Square Enix Announces Rise of the Tomb Raider for Steam, Windows 10, and PlayStation 4

Square Enix today announced its latest title in the critically acclaimed and award-winning Tomb Raider series, Rise of the Tomb Raider, will be available for Steam and Windows 10 PC in early 2016. The game will be a console exclusive to Xbox One and Xbox 360 for one year after its initial launch, coming to PlayStation 4 Holiday 2016. Renowned developer Crystal Dynamics, a Square Enix studio, is leading development in the latest entry in the iconic series for additional platforms.

In the critically acclaimed Tomb Raider, Lara Croft survived a harrowing experience only to be discredited as part of a cover up. Now, after uncovering an ancient mystery, Lara must explore the most treacherous and remote regions of Siberia to find the secret of immortality before a ruthless organization known as Trinity. Lara must use her wits and survival skills, form new alliances, and ultimately embrace her destiny as the Tomb Raider.

Experience high-octane action moments, conquer beautifully hostile environments, engage in brutal guerilla combat, and explore awe-inspiring deadly tombs in the evolution of survival action. In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara becomes more than a survivor as she embarks on her first great Tomb Raiding expedition.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is premiering on Xbox One and Xbox 360 first on November 10, 2015.
    http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/12...omb-raider-for

http://press.na.square-enix.com/rele...for-windows-10

---

May 22, 2015

Xbox Australia claims TR10 is full Xbox exclusive

CD re-confirms TR10 is timed exclusive

---

BioWare Can't Reveal Dragon Age DLC's PS4 Release Date

---

TR10 would have existed without the MS exclusivity deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRlqtNW8Js#t=425 (mirror)

(Video @ 7:03)

---

27th March 2015: [vrworld] Timed exclusives are the future of gaming.

http://www.vrworld.com/2015/03/26/ti...e-of-gaming/1/

---

[Games Radar] Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity: why fan outrage is unjustified

http://www.gamesradar.com/rise-tomb-...e-unjustified/

---

February 23, 2015: Darrell Gallagher Talks Xbox Exclusivity

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ris.../1100-6425471/

---

9th Dec 2014: Microsoft is publishing TR10 for Xbox.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/s...57412988248064

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/...d-by-microsoft

---

PARODY article: http://www.p4rgaming.com/rise-of-the...s-on-xbox-one/

p4rgaming.com is a satire website. The statements by Phil / Darrell in this article are fake.

---

Official FAQ from Crystal: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2033803

---

Article on Escapist Magazine: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...s-Major-Issues

---

An interesting article on Polygon: Tomb Raider's Xbox exclusivity likely means more sales, higher profits

---

Xbox exclusive is timed: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...gn=socialoomph

Follow-up from Phil Spencer: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/499903721854484480

Another follow-up from Phil Spencer:Xbox boss Phil Spencer makes case for Tomb Raider exclusivity deal

Confirmation by CD: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94...-raider-update

"Thank you for all of the feedback and questions. There has been a lot of coverage about Rise of the Tomb Raider, and a new round of articles followed Phil Spencer’s Eurogamer interview in which he confirmed that the exclusivity is timed. In case you haven’t read that article yet, you can do so here."

---

A petition under way: https://www.change.org/petitions/squ...-on-xbox-one-2

---

Official statement from CD: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94...-raider-update

"Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher
    Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios"

-------------

*** Other threads on the Xbox exclusivity deal topic with 100+ replies ***

Will you be buying RotTR on Xbox One?

450 replies

Anyone else just not feeling it?

296 replies

Will you walk away?
    201 replies

Square Enix Announces ROTTR for PlayStation and PC

162 replies

Polygon live - Rise of the Tomb raider E3 interview

156 replies

"Fall" of the Tomb Raider?

150 replies

Xbox boss Phil Spencer makes case for exclusivity deal

103 replies

Total: 1518 replies

----------------------

Forum Notice: Xbox deal discussions

----------------------

[/edit]

----------------------------------------------
    A couple of opinions from Boogie2988 and Angry Joe - different styles, same point.

-------------------------------------------------

ReviewTechUSA says that the ROTTR exclusive is brilliant:

But then criticises its timed exclusivity:

---------------------------------------------------------

TotalBiscuit weighs in:

----------------------------------------------------------

Watch the Jimquisition video from Escapist:

----------------------------------------------------------

Interesting article on the Eurogamer website that talks to a game developer, Cherry Pop, who did a deal with MS to give away their new game for free through Games With Gold for two months rather than launch it direct to sale :
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...o-the-millions

It probably passed you by but Xbox One game Pool Nation FX has, in three months, been downloaded 2.5 million times

"The majority unpaid unfortunately," Cherry Pop spokesperson Gemma Jessop told me. "I would like to say that we make a fortune out of it but we won't be driving around in Ferraris any time soon...However, the awareness is second to none. It was a great opportunity for an indie. As for all indies these days, it's hard to even get your head above the crowds with a small team and a limited budget. But working with Microsoft all that worry is taken away - you know you will get noticed."

She said there was "a fee paid" by Microsoft to Cherry Pop, but that the real value was in the exposure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Driber; 4th Jul 2016 at 15:22. Reason: update
    signature image

[debating points quick reference links]

Last edited by Driber; 4th Jun 2015 at 13:57. Reason: .

RotTR is an XBox exclusive...

Darrel Gallagher just announced on Gamescom 2014 that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be an Xbox exclusive, coming holiday 2015. Does that many other will get it later? I don't know, but this is what we know.

What do you guys think about this?
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Umm WTF Did CD just do...

Thanks for throwing away a great heritage on playstation.
    signature image

Words can't explain what im feeling right now... guess ill have to get a One...

Screw that, both PC and PS owners are getting screwed :| What the hell, they aren't even saying it's coming later :| "Don't fret, there's Lara Croft Temple of Osiris coming out for PC and PS4" let me tell you something, CD, I don't give a DAMN about that game!!! :|

Wow, man, what the hell, I hope they undersell, I really do :|
    signature image

Tomb Raider just died for me...
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

As I said on the Humble Adobe, I'm just extremely disappointed.

Geez, I can't even put in words my feelings.

I'll... try not to be offensive.

Ok. Crystal, you have just done the worse move ever. Ok, not ever. But a really bad move. Like, wow.

I think I'll refrain from comments, I'm just too angry to be rational now.

EDIT: Actually, I just wanted to... nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    Screw that, both PC and PS owners are getting screwed :| What the hell, they aren't even saying it's coming later :| "Don't fret, there's Lara Croft Temple of Osiris coming out for PC and PS4" let me tell you something, CD, I don't give a DAMN about that game!!! :|

Preach it

I just can't believe this is true... seriously...

I guess this will be where I stop playing TR then...
    signature image

What the hell?! I was under impression that it will be multiplatform title.

We seriously need to gather as a community and at least not buy an XBox One, if not RotTR :|
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
    What the hell?! I was under impression that it will be multiplatform title.
    Yeah we all were... Microsoft wanting a competition for Uncharted and easy money for CD...

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    I just can't believe this is true... seriously...

I guess this will be where I stop playing TR then...
    You and alot of people. I can't even buy a PC version.

Square you've done goofed on this one.
    signature image

Yeah, the wording they're using doesn't really give any hope this will be a timed exclusive...
    signature image

What the hell.

I just can't believe it, is CD really that stupid? Are they really sell-outs? I mean, Tomb Raider did wonderfully, they seriously didn't need the "support"... Okay, maybe they did, I don't know, but this is just cheap and sad... They could at least say it's coming out 6 months later
    signature image

Screw that, both PC and PS owners are getting screwed :|

let me tell you something, CD, I don't give a DAMN about that game!!! :|

Quote Originally Posted by VaBanes View Post
    Tomb Raider just died for me...
    You just lost another fan. Thank you.

This has got to be a joke, right? Or some unfortunate misunderstanding?

This has got to be a joke, RIGHT?

RIGHT?

Not to jump on the hate train, but I'm out too, there's no way I'm buying an Xbox One, not even for Tomb Raider...
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post

RIGHT?
    I really wish it is, man, I really do
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post

RIGHT?
    I hope so but i mean it's not April fools Right?

There is no way I'm buying Xbox One just for this.

Page 1 of 178 123451151101 ... LastLast