Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Thief (2014) trailer with Stephen Russell VO

Thief (2014) trailer with Stephen Russell VO

Thief (2014) trailer with Stephen Russell VO

*Moderator Edit/Update*

Posting leaked content is not allowed .

___ *end of edit* _____

Saw this on another forum, it appears to be an early trailer for the recent Thief game, using Stephen Russell's voice. You could argue that it's hacked in some way, but I don't recognize the lines from anything else SR has done. The Thief font is different too. Pretty interesting stuff. The trailer has bits and pieces from ones we've seen, but also some additional, extended footage.

I'd be curious to know if anyone from EM can shed light on what exactly this is.

http://aurora-kaczmarek.tumblr.com/post/91658779888

(scroll down below the "Wanted" poster)
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Mister mustaches you did a nice find .in fact it is surely an Earlie trailer of thief 4 infact they tried with SR voice in the beginning. All the sounds are not from thief 1 2 3

Please allow me to call you Mister mustaches . can I ? Its very important for me

Nice video mike . immediately it sound more thiefy and you forgive also the ninja look . the face also is in the first version a bit cartoon but great.

Sweet.
    I agree with Hawky and presume its from the preliminary test vocal recordings when they were still deciding on which actor to go for.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Wow, is that really SR's voice? It's been about 4 years since I last played the original 3 Thief games but I don't remember his voice being that deep/raspy.

Going back and listening to this cutscene from Thief 2, I am right. Maybe there are a few similarities, but his voice in the OP's link sounds like he is going for a Killer Croc vibe a la Batman Arkham Asylum

Yeah, he sounds kinda rough there. It's nice to finally see that full heist sequence, though. I also presume the soundtrack was Paul's composition.

That logo at the end blows.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Originally Posted by Adrian Shephard
    Wow, is that really SR's voice? It's been about 4 years since I last played the original 3 Thief games but I don't remember his voice being that deep/raspy.
    His real voice is higher than Garrett's. I suspect he could have been directed to give a darker performance as that seems to be the general direction they were going with the game all along.

While he is doing a bit of a character voice in this movie clip, it's closer to his real voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883hEJ7Xowo

I heard him in a radio interview a couple of years ago and his real voice is just a bit higher than in this clip.

Personally, I think his voice would have been just fine to reprise the role. Hearing this was really cool, but at the same time it made me feel sad all over again that he was recast.

Better than Orzari, but not SRs finest work. I am sure he still is able to do the real Garrett. Probably EM forced him to sound darker.

Erm, to be honest that wasn't very good. It's been 10 years and I am sure Russell's voice has changed a bit. Also over the course of the original three games, he sounded different in each one with Thief 2 being the best performance IMO. If they kept this voice for this game then yeah I might complain more.

I have seen Russell in a few films and his performance is ok at best. He's real voice sounds like Garrett a little bit, although I haven't heard anything recent from him as of late except maybe that Bioshock Infinite early gameplay video a few years back. At least I think it was agreed that was him.

Romano is a good replacement for Stephen and I think he does a fine job as Garrett. Sure there were moments where it was lacking but the overall performance was fine. I don't really care who plays Garrett as long as they do a good job. And Romano did a good job.

Forced to act dark? Probably not. Romano's performance isn't dark. Garrett is a very calm kinda guy, so I am not expecting a wide variety of emotion to be honest save for maybe a few incidences.

I wouldn't say he was forced to act dark, but it wouldn't be unusual if he was asked to make it sound a bit darker....or if the game was originally intended to be a sequel..then perhaps 'older'. Perhaps Erin was indeed supposed to be the girl from the end of Deadly Shadows as some have suggested. Part way through though you can hear more his usual tone, so I don't think there is anything wrong with Stephen's voice, it sounds more like a performance choice than a drastic change in his voice. Someone at TTLG was saying it sounded like this wasn't a final edit...relatively raw sound files with little post production.

Sorry. I didn't mean "forced" in a gunpoint kind of way.

Yes, some chunks in between indeed sounded better than the rest.

edit: after rewatching i want to add that the music fits so much better than what we got at release. That song is more unique than THIAFS whole soundtrack.

Human Problem remains human problem.

Originally Posted by Thorleifr
    edit: after rewatching i want to add that the music fits so much better than what we got at release.
    Yeah, it doesn't try to be a carbon copy of the Eric's style but you can definitely feel how Mr. Weir has captured the tone of Thief within his own. I really like it. I hope he gets to share his soundtrack with us someday.

That was bloody awful (both the performance and the writing). Either way, the absence of Stephen Russel is the least of nuThief's problems.

Romano is a good replacement for Stephen and I think he does a fine job as Garrett. Sure there were moments where it was lacking but the overall performance was fine.
    Agreed.

While SR's voice here sounds rather terrible, I'm not convinced that it wasn't simply him being told to put on a more 'dramatic' and 'cinematic' voice for the trailer. I recall hearing Romano's narration in the official trailers and finding him to be either too dramatic or completely phoning it in. When I actually played the game, though, I don't remember ever thinking the same thing for his in-game VO; he wasn't exactly Patrick Stewart, but I thought he did a reasonably good job with THIEF, especially considering the awful dialogue he had to read.

Either way, I don't think the voice actor really mattered in the long run. Of all the problems THIEF has, the voice acting isn't one of them, IMHO.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    it sounds more like a performance choice than a drastic change in his voice.
    now that we know Stephen Russell was asked to voice for a different character, it makes sense that he used a different voice for that new person.

A few things I'm not too sure about.

I will say this however. Unlike the final version, this edit looks a lot like a game, and nothing like a Lexus commercial.

I don't know who was responsible for the latter quick-cuts editing job, but I would never listen to him ever again, unless I had cars to sell.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Originally Posted by Britney
    now that we know Stephen Russell was asked to voice for a different character, it makes sense that he used a different voice for that new person.
    I don't think he was a different person at this point in development. He was the original Garrett, but all that changed later in development it seems. It's more likely that he became a different Garrett when they decided to reboot and then go with a different actor. I would love to know how the game was originally intended to be.

Originally Posted by Anakara
    Garrett is a very calm kinda guy, so I am not expecting a wide variety of emotion to be honest save for maybe a few incidences.
    Romano's performance sounds like he is trying for a badass grunt Garrett void of any emotion. SR gave Garrett that badass aspect while also sounding intelligent. That's my view of it anyway.

Anyway, it's all in the past and as someone else said, the VO is the least of Thief's problems.

Did anyone else see this video BTW? You can hear the two versions side-by-side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asM9guG7KlE

Originally Posted by Adrian Shephard
    Romano's performance sounds like he is trying for a badass grunt Garrett void of any emotion. SR gave Garrett that badass aspect while also sounding intelligent.
    That's more to do with writing though then the performance. SR's Garrett had a lot more story and interactions where as Romano had a very quick pace story with very little interactions. I don't think he had much to work with which is unfortunate. And when he did interact with say: the Queen, Basso and even Erin he displayed emotion that was appropriate to the situation. He didn't lack emotion at all it was just handled in a different way.

Eh, Garrett was never really a badass. I mean he was a cynical sarcastic *** but that was only really in the first game. As the series progressed, he became more mature (lack of a better word) and became more serious as he became more involved with the world around him vs shutting himself up from it. Sure he still cracked a joke here and there but he wasn't as cocky as he was in Thief 1.

I would prefer Romano's voice in this particular trailer.
    Not that I particularly need to compare. I am a fan of both SR and Romano in any case.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Man, seeing this, hearing what might have been - it's giving me a whole lot of feels...

No, definitely not SR's best performance, but what can you expect with him reading nuThief's excuse for dialogue? Unlike many of the folks here, I do still believe Romano's performance was a big hindrance to the game's (artistic) success. I'd trade him for Stephen any day, even the Stephen in this trailer, who apparently gargled gravel before recording. Hearing SR do this...it just feels so much more like an proper Thief game, rather than the Franken-Thief that was the final product.

I will forever be eager to read a tell-all from one of the devs about the game's development. That story is bound to be leagues more fascinating than the one they tried to tell in the game.

That was interesting. The Cynric Endell voice sounds younger than that but still Garrett-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUoMqrFXKBM

Originally Posted by InDIGnation
    While SR's voice here sounds rather terrible, I'm not convinced that it wasn't simply him being told to put on a more 'dramatic' and 'cinematic' voice for the trailer.
    I disagree... I find it unlikely that EM would have told him to do any voice other than "Garrett's voice from the original games". There are a number of reasons that could explain his performance in the trailer... and the most likely one (I think) is also the one that no one wants to believe.

Are we sure that the voice in this alternate (and way better) trailer is SR's one?
    I feel like it's a different one, with less "bass" tones.

I very much doubt that he lost his skill do voice Garrett in the few years since Skyrim.

Don't play with our feels, Knox :P

Originally Posted by Thorleifr
    I very much doubt that he lost his skill do voice Garrett in the few years since Skyrim.

Don't play with our feels, Knox :P
    Heh

That's a good point actually, I'd forgotten about Skyrim

Page 1 of 3 123 Last