Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Any new DLCs in the works? UPDATE: No further DLC planned for Thief

Any new DLCs in the works? UPDATE: No further DLC planned for Thief

Any new DLCs in the works? UPDATE: No further DLC planned for Thief

*moderator edit/update*/July 2014

The official word from EM is that they are not planning any DLC for Thief.

*end of moderator edit*

____

Is there any word on upcoming DLCs?

Possibly

I doubt there will be any more. The game wasn't a huge success.

You got that right. What a waste.

bro why is that the game is a huge success for me
    bro in eidos i trust

Originally Posted by zwanzig_zwoelf
    bro why is that the game is a huge success for me
    Because he's speaking in terms of sales, not in terms of appreciation.

We were all expecting a great failure yet the game seems to have done well financially due to the lack of games on PS4 and Xbox1 when it was released. The reasons why the DLC's are unlikely to be released are the catastrophic reviews and the feedback from the fans of the original series, which is mixed.

Not to mention that the game is still broken, almost half a year after release.

Originally Posted by argan1985
    Not to mention that the game is still broken, almost half a year after release.
    Yeah, after this many patches I'm honestly quite surprised that the more serious issues have not been fixed.

I still think they should release a mod kit for this Thief. I remember reading somewhere something about why a mod kit isn't in the plans, but look how far the ability to mod has gotten Thief I and II in terms of longevity.

I've got four more empty slots for City Heritage plaques in Garrett's hideout. Would be a shame if they stayed empty.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Originally Posted by Webimpulse
    I still think they should release a mod kit for this Thief. I remember reading somewhere something about why a mod kit isn't in the plans, but look how far the ability to mod has gotten Thief I and II in terms of longevity.
    I can't see Thief 2014 having the same type of longevity with just a level editor alone, especially if it's locked down as much as the editor for Thief Deadly Shadows. EM would need to package up a full SDK if they're truly dedicated to building on the Thief brand and not simply turning it into another franchise that leaves the players waiting for new content. The thing that has kept Dromed alive all these years is that there was so much left open to the mapper in the editor. So many times it seemed like Dromed couldn't be pushed any further and someone would find a way. Of course that's all behind us now with NewDark.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    Of course that's all behind us now with NewDark.
    So NewDark is restrictive for modders? Dromed 1.19 doesn't exist ?

By the way I totally agree with your statement. If a proper SDK doesn't allow modders to make modifications in the core mechanics of the game, it's not even worth releasing a modding tool. It wont encounter a long time success.

Originally Posted by Gortch
    So NewDark is restrictive for modders? Dromed 1.19 doesn't exist ?
    No, no. I meant that the old restrictions were no longer an issue because new dark pretty much does away with all of them.

Oh all right, I misread.

NewDark blows away nuThief.

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    I've got four more empty slots for City Heritage plaques in Garrett's hideout. Would be a shame if they stayed empty.
    Amen!

Square Enix has a decent reputation for standing behind their games, despite low review scores. With the amount of time and money invested in Thief, it's hard to stomach the idea of no new content. Look, Thief 2014 has it's problems but it wasn't until far along into the games dev-cycle that a cohesive vision began to take form, which the higher ups @ Eidos and Square Enix are well aware of, i'm sure. If the powers that be can view this new entry into the series as a springboard from which to build greatness upon, I believe the franchise has overwhelming potential to grow into the powerhouse it deserves to be.

As for DLC, I remain enthusiastically optimistic. It would be mutually beneficial for the devs and the consumers to flesh out at the very least ONE solid DLC campaign. Not only would this provide the fans with the resolution we seek to the main narrative (so many questions left unanswered) but it could also serve as demonstration to naysayers of what Thief has the potential to be, the experience it solely is capable of providing. This is assuming of course that the devs improved upon gameplay mechanics, bugs, and fleshed out more of the lore by answering questions long time fans have about what happened to our beloved" sneak thief" etc.

DLC could restore faith in the Thief community that EM can deliver that unique Thief experience while simultaneously setting the stage for a much improved sequel.

No, it would be tragic and poor business decision making to throw away something with such great money making potential.

Here's to hope!

Originally Posted by C0RV0
    ...fleshed out more of the lore by answering questions long time fans have about what happened to our beloved" sneak thief"...
    "If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." - Orson Welles

Girlfriend and I have been bouncing Thief DLC ideas around. Couple I had were:

• Exploration of the Automatons. Garrett's commissioned to steal from the mysterious Engineer and his lab is populated by the robot guards and workers which were sadly not utilized in the main game. Perhaps they are even powered by Primal energy and/or glyphs the Engineer learned of through his correspondence with Clockwise.
    • Master Thief Garrett is seeking a rare artifact, but nobody knows where it is. Legend has it that it was stolen once by the legendary Sneak Thief, and MT Garrett relives the heist through The Primal and his eye much the same way he saw through Erin's eyes in Moira.
    • A new set of client missions that has Garrett stealing various religious artifacts from underground cults who worship the Builder and the Trickster. The client in question happens to be a noble and an avid collector.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Maybe they should recreate some of the older maps for the original games as DLC! Cragscleft Prison with new graphics would be awesome!
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    Maybe they should recreate some of the older maps for the original games as DLC! Cragscleft Prison with new graphics would be awesome!
    This is what I want most of all... They'd have to give the mechanics of the new game a pretty big overhaul, though, if they want it to play like the originals.

Bah, I don't want to see levels rehashed. Homages are fine (like the bank heist) but I want new content rather than old. I'm perfectly fine exploring connections to the old series or fleshing out the current City more. Just playing something I've done before with fancier graphics sounds boring. If I wanted to play Break from Cragscleft Prison I'd boot up Thief Gold and play Break from Cragscleft Prison.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

It would be what remains of Cragscleft I suspect, rather than a 1:1 remake.

Maybe something that would explain the characters more.For instance something to explain The Queen Of Beggars more.I always thought she had a sort of Keeper vibe to her.
    signature image
    I am the shadow on the wall.

Originally Posted by drunken taffer
    Maybe something that would explain the characters more.For instance something to explain The Queen Of Beggars more.I always thought she had a sort of Keeper vibe to her.
    Exploring some characters in the world I agree with. The Queen of Beggar's specifically? Negative.

The Queen works better as a mystery, and unwrapping that enigmatic element would be to the character and world's detriment. Especially at this juncture. That's something that should be reserved for any hypothetical sequels.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

I think it was pretty much certain that we wouldn't be seeing any DLC, but EM have all but confirmed it now on the Facebook page.

Bothers me how they refer to the game as THIEF when the title is clearly lower case in the logo. Never noticed that until now

So no mod tools and no DLCs...

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last