Thread: Just tried Thief for first time

Just tried Thief for first time

Just tried Thief for first time

So I just bought Thief 4 and have been playing it for the first time.

I've always been a huge fan of MGS and the original Deus Ex, so I love to sneak.

I'm really loving this game and having a lot of fun, so I decided to find the forums to see what's buzzing about.

Upon looking into current threads, I've discovered that traditional fans do not like the game.

That sucks. I like it.

That is all.
    >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

All I can do, is suggest that you play the originals.

Originally Posted by Jito463
    Duly noted.

Can I ask why the new one is so bad?
    >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

I was in a similar situation to you when I played Thief 3. I loved it and was surprised to discover that original fans didn't like it much. Later, after playing the originals, I found out why. There were some very terrible and "gamey" design decisions (factions, small levels, microscopic city hub, drowning, climbing gloves) that really made it a much worse game than the originals in many ways. I imagine attitudes to the new Thief follow in much the same vein.

I haven't bothered to find out yet (too many other good games cluttering up my non-existent free time), although there were many complaints in the build up to release about the ways in which Eidos Montreal was implementing various stealth mechanics (the shroud, etc) and the increased focus on combat. I lost interest after I found out they made Garrett look like a bad Assassin's Creed villain and ditched the original lead voice actor, who was amazing. One thing I have heard is that EM totally butchered the story, which is too bad; Steven Gallagher was the one person in the pre-release videos who impressed me as looking like he actually knew what he was doing.
    But I'm right.

Originally Posted by LeMoN_LiMe
    Duly noted.

Can I ask why the new one is so bad?
    The main criticisms that come up are things like smaller and less open levels comparative to the originals, made worse by the points of no return that turn the levels from semi-linear to just linear, constricted freedom of movement due to the contextual jumping, leaning, and rope arrows, the way they handled the story- giving much of the important information in the companion app rather than the actual game, the removal of the interesting lore of the originals (Hammers, Pagans and Keepers) and replacing them with a generic rich vs. poor conflict, the badly handled sound & light system, the dull enemy roster, the audio bugs and glitches, the removal of the humour and lightheartedness of the originals (except in the Lenny mission), absence of mod tools and an SDK, no swimming, and the generally more boring environments in comparison to the originals, including the City hub which ended up just being a standard Victorian town rather than the interesting City from the originals.

It had some good moments... but especially when compared to the originals, I think it just falls kinda flat.

Originally Posted by negative_len
    I was in a similar situation to you when I played Thief 3. I loved it and was surprised to discover that original fans didn't like it much. Later, after playing the originals, I found out why. There were some very terrible and "gamey" design decisions (factions, small levels, microscopic city hub, drowning, climbing gloves) that really made it a much worse game than the originals in many ways. I imagine attitudes to the new Thief follow in much the same vein.
    Yeah, this is pretty much how it is. Some people here just found the new game boring though, which seems more like a problem with the game itself rather than the fact it calls itself a Thief game, if you understand.

I haven't bothered to find out yet (too many other good games cluttering up my non-existent free time), although there were many complaints in the build up to release about the ways in which Eidos Montreal was implementing various stealth mechanics (the shroud, etc) and the increased focus on combat. I lost interest after I found out they made Garrett look like a bad Assassin's Creed villain and ditched the original lead voice actor, who was amazing. One thing I have heard is that EM totally butchered the story, which is too bad; Steven Gallagher was the one person in the pre-release videos who impressed me as looking like he actually knew what he was doing.
    I think the story was actually pretty decent, and I'd say that Gallagher did know what he was doing... the problem is that they put most of the information in the companion app, which meant that it came across as incoherent if you play the game without reading the app as you go along. It was a dumb decision, but it was probably due to time constraints or something. It really doesn't strike me as something a dev studio would do deliberately. I actually think that is the main reason for the companion app's existence.

Doesn't make the game any better. I judge the story on its own merits, and as such it is bloody awful. I haven't looked in the companion app (since I don't have a smart phone) and I shouldn't have to either, as it should've been in the game.

Agreed with knox140 on points as to why Thief is bad. I also think that judging on its own merits as a stealth game (not a Thief game) it is a boring, bland and repetitive experience which more feels like a chore than an enjoyment.

Originally Posted by Jito463
    They don't translate very well against todays games, neither of the three games have aged well at all. The third one is acceptable against modern gamers expectations but they will find the nature of the earlier ones a turn-off.
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    They don't translate very well against todays games, neither of the three games have aged well at all. The third one is acceptable against modern gamers expectations but they will find the nature of the earlier ones a turn-off.
    What about them means that they wouldn't work today? I played them for the first time a few years ago, and the only way in which I felt that they were outdated was in the lack of clues clues you got to complete some of the missions (Thieves Guild, looking at you). Past that, I think they do hold up well against modern standards. Before I played them, I exclusively played modern games, and I still enjoyed them massively.

Question

In what way? The only way you could argue, is graphics. And quite frankly, graphics are hardly the best indicator of how good a game is.

Odd you should say that, as I only started playing the Thief games two years ago and their age never bothered me. If anything, I thought they put modern games to shame in terms of their depth and atmosphere.

I only just played the first three for the first time about 2-3 years ago, and aside from the graphics looking like butt and the occasional Dark Engine quirk the games aged really, really well.
    They play pretty phenomenally, so I dont see why someone who's tried the new one shouldn't also try out the originals as well. You can like both, after all, nothin' wrong with that.

Or even discover why so many people prefer it to the reboot. It's got quite a bit of charm to it, as well as excellent depth.

unfortunately a big turn off for me in the reboot is how the story is a bit disjointed, it seemed a little rushed and much of the lore and background was in the companion app rather than the game. The originals had a ton of lore present in the levels that you could either ignore, read on in-game text, or overhear from dialogue. It made the world seem a bit more complete

Just to name one thing, on-topic :v
    (i dont mind the reboot of course, I just hope for better next time owo )

I've always been a huge fan of MGS and the original Deus Ex, so I love to sneak.
    Might want to try out The Dark Mod too - thieflike gameplay in an updated game engine. There' about 80 missions available to play, and it's completely free.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Originally Posted by brethren
    Might want to try out The Dark Mod too - thieflike gameplay in an updated game engine. There' about 80 missions available to play, and it's completely free.
    Ooooo that looks interesting.

I play on console because my laptop has stock GPU.

I'll see if I can run it. Doubt it though.
    >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Discuss the game, not each other.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Ooooo that looks interesting.

I play on console because my laptop has stock GPU.

I'll see if I can run it. Doubt it though.
    How old is your laptop and what are the specs? I can run it on my HP laptop. 4 gigs of ram, 2ghz i3 processor. Have to play on lower settings but it works fine.

bro sorry for being edgy i was in a bad mood now not to upset our sensitive sweetie pies i will say that i love the game just stand up and speak out that you love it its awesome and whoever will just deny it and smash it needs to learn some tact cuz smashing good games isnt really a good thing how about we meet and have a drink and talk about how garrett is a cool dude while erin is a good bad girl huh also lets not discuss original games which are just 3d mario clones with too much darkness to make navigation as painful as hell
    bro in eidos i trust

Originally Posted by knox140
    Before I played them, I exclusively played modern games, and I still enjoyed them massively.
    the original Thief games are way better than nuThief. No comparison.

i wish most modern games would learn from them.

LeMoN_LiMe, just play the game and have fun. No need to read the forums. Only philosophers here. If you like the game, enjoy it. You do not need others' opinion.

Originally Posted by pwyll
    LeMoN_LiMe, just play the game and have fun. No need to read the forums. Only philosophers here. If you like the game, enjoy it. You do not need others' opinion.
    Forming one's own unique opinion is generally a good policy for all media, and one that receives my endorsement.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Originally Posted by pwyll
    I like discussing things I'm passionate about.

Something I will continue to do here, despite being in the minority I guess.
    >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Despite being an old timer Thief fan, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game too. So no, you're not alone.

I'm looking forward to news about the next attempt.

Hey, it really doesn't matter whether you form part of a minority or majority group.... just be a free-thinking individual FIRST. Suit yourself, know yourself.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...