Thread: "Hide the Marmosets" in Legacy of Kain: Defiance

"Hide the Marmosets" in Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Just when you thought you'd seen it all in the old games, Raina Audron has uncovered a secret message hidden undiscovered (or more accurately not believed) in Legacy of Kain: Defiance for over 10 years.

Reading "Hide the Marmosets!", the message can be found in the PS2 version using the wireframe mode cheat. You can find the message in Raziel's second visit to Vorador's mansion (after his return from Avernus), where it appears in the flooded sewers area (where you found a piece of the seal). You should be able to find it in the Sewer Cistern area next to a TK rune.

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
    When quizzed about the meaning of the message, Daniel Cabuco responded:
    "Pretty straightforward: hide those marmosets! Lol

There were a lot of overtime hours on Defiance. As a result, people would get punchy around 10pm-2am. Lots of inside jokes suddenly became really good ideas to put jn the game.
    Some were official like the chibi mode or cardboard tube, others wormed their way in.
    Honestly surprised anyone found something like this. We used sayings like this as placeholders to test memory. Having it change in spectral shows that it was also used to test modes.
    Hide the marmosets, don't scare the crows and Electric Bugaloo were all used. They were all supposed to be removed (which I am sure happened when the PC version was made)
    In SR2 I used my car photo as a placeholder and a Japanese Pride fight poster between Kazushi Sakaruaba and Royce Gracie. (Which were removed so don't bother looking for them lol)
    Amazing this was found after so long a time."

Games that keep on giving
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

I played through the entire game in wireframe mode years ago and never saw this. I guess I just didn't go to the right area. I'll have to go find this myself sometime.
    And I love that another phrase they used was "Don't scare the crows".
    This does remind me of something though. In one of those forges (I can't remember which), if you play in wireframe mode, you can see this weird giant dome in the distance. I always wondered what was up with that. Some test area?

ooh sounds interesting. Guess I'm gonna be playing in wireframe a lot more. It could be a test area, or could be part of the Citadel itself - think I'll have to poke Raina and Dan see if they know anything about it
    signature image
    Join us and help write the history of Nosgoth at the Legacy of Kain Wiki encyclopedia

I can't remember exactly which forge it is, but I remember seeing it with Kain and Raziel, and I think it was one near the end of the game. Maybe the Earth or Water Forge?

I remember seeing the text while browsing extracted PC textures and wondering about it. There actually are some other weird textures as well, like some monkey drawings (perhaps the actual marmosets that were hidden ).