Thread: Prophets.

Prophets.

Prophets.

Hey, I began this game the other day, I bought Prophet, it looked really cool and unique so i thought i'd try my luck with it, yet... well i absolutely suck at it, and thinking maybe should have run with scout?... I am assuming i cannot trade the prophet in to pick a different class, so i guess i am stuck with it til level 10...

How are u ment to play prophet? it seems to do quite weak damage... its abilities seem kinda weird to land and it has some ability to heal others at the cost of my own health...

Should i just be stacking support items and following others around? or am i ment to be doing DPS?...

Any Advice is appreciated.

try to make it your sole mission in life to annoy vampires.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

Originally Posted by cmstache
    try to make it your sole mission in life to annoy vampires.
    is that their purpose? Lol, i rly do wish i bought scout, but no backsies now i guess haha teach me right for choosing based on what looks cool :P Should know by now Snipers the way forward! XD

Prophets excel at single target, mid-range combat. They have a strong DPS over time, they lack the burst potential that the other classes have though at the moment.
    Sausage-Member of 200g-My Twitch Stream, Livesignature image

Do damage. If you don't have good aim then play a class with more cc.

The prophet was an extremely effective class (read OP) before it got toned down a bit. Now it seems to be more in line with other classes.

You lack a stun but still have a good punch and you can heal yourself which often makes the difference in combat. The life leech is a skill you should have permanently on cooldown. The 200 dmg over any range are very annoying and good heal for you.
    The heavy pistols are not as effective anymore but currently have the highest DPS and single shots on ranged targets still hurt. And lacking your stun, you want to have the vampires out of your face anyway.

So, stay mid range and suck them dry whenever they show their face.

(The heal is very useful if you play in a proper team but I doubt you found one yet)

Trust me, the one class any vampire truly fear, no matter their class, is the prophet. Hunters do amazing dmg and have cc, scout have aoe and evasiveness. But the prophet is just... Hard to deal with..

What makes him the most annoying thing to see on the class icons on the opposite team, is not that he is OP (he was before nerf), but because he got amazing dueling potential.

His lifedrain makes a prophet able to win any 1v1 trade unless the vampires have landed a perfect initiation on him. He is also the only one with a true disable, that cannot be cancelled by any vampire abilties.

Especially the lifedrain makes any vampire wary of going toe-to-toe against you. You already do good midrange damage, and excellent weapon dps, but the extra lifedrain effectively makes it a -400 HP fight for the vampire from the start.

The aiming of the abilties does take some getting used to. Especially banishing shot, but when you get the hang of it, ull see they are not that hard. (the aiming sensitivity changes during the ability channels).

The prophet only have one weakness, and that is AOE. His only aoe is easily avoided, and only effective in some circumstances.

After playing alchemist as main human char, I was confused with prophet at first.
    What helped me to actually start killing with it, was realizing crazy deeps this class can produce with duals (assuming steady aim).

My advice would be: don't rely on powers too much, as useful as they are, they are still just an addition to your trusty handguns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...1xLoV2P4#t=642

some decent prophet gameplay so you can have an idea of how to use it

Draining curse is my noob team test if they dodge it and avoid it at all costs, grats you got your self one hell of a tough match.

Originally Posted by Gnarlez
    Trust me, the one class any vampire truly fear, no matter their class, is the prophet. Hunters do amazing dmg and have cc, scout have aoe and evasiveness. But the prophet is just... Hard to deal with..

What makes her the most annoying thing to see on the class icons on the opposite team, is not that she is OP (she was before nerf), but because she's got amazing dueling potential.

Her lifedrain makes a prophet able to win any 1v1 trade unless the vampires have landed a perfect initiation on her. She is also the only one with a true disable, that cannot be cancelled by any vampire abilties.

Especially the lifedrain makes any vampire wary of going toe-to-toe against you. You already do good midrange damage, and excellent weapon dps, but the extra lifedrain effectively makes it a -400 HP fight for the vampire from the start.

The aiming of the abilties does take some getting used to. Especially banishing shot, but when you get the hang of it, ull see they are not that hard. (the aiming sensitivity changes during the ability channels).

The prophet only have one weakness, and that is AOE. Her only aoe is easily avoided, and only effective in some circumstances.
    Fixed that for you.

On a more serious note, she's got more than one AoE - Disabling Curse and Draining Curse. I'm assuming you're talking about her Disabling Curse, which lasts only 3 seconds? In that case, I partially agree with you; I haven't found that one to be particularly useful for the short duration. I use Draining curse as a counter to the Dumahim Smoke Bomb, especially when it's cast either in a choke point such as a doorway, or on top of my teammates. The smoke bomb has a wider radius than Draining Curse, so that makes it a bit harder to see where the boundaries are for the vampires.

Originally Posted by Archaeopterygidae
    I'm assuming you're talking about her Disabling Curse, which lasts only 3 seconds? In that case, I partially agree with you; I haven't found that one to be particularly useful for the short duration.
    See, I am the other way. I prefer disable because, for me, the draining's activation time is too short. Draining has the greater damage potential; but disable's damage is immediate and a lot more consistent, even though it is only 200. The best use for it is when the vamps initiate. If you know a Deceiver is phase damaging a teammate or moving up on them in disguise, you can use disable to reveal them as well as stop them from using backstab/infect. If your teammate is being pounced the disable ends it there and the Reaver can't immediately go evasive to escape. If a tyrant charges or jumps in you can use it to stop them from pressing the attack further with ground slam/shockwave or immediately protect themselves during their escape with stone skin. Not to mention it does full damage to a wounded and evasive Reaver, it is very satisfying to see them running away but you stop them DEAD in their tracks with just the flick of your wrist.

Edit
    Personal Question, does anybody regularly use or main any pistols other than the heavy? I agree that the nerf brought the heavy pistols in line; but I also think they made the other pistols too weak to continue being viable alternatives. I understand it comes down to what you prefer in a weapon; but I can use any weapon with any of the other human classes and still be capable of contributing on about the same level.
    Last edited by GenFeelGood; 27th Jul 2014 at 05:39.

I prefer Heavy pistols as well, I do not think that other pistol´s dps is too usable in combat.

I use the Dual Pistols sometimes just for that feel of speed, but almost always use Heavy for the poke damage and that satisfying noise they make with every shot.

I might buy or rent the Piercing Pistols and equip them if the enemy team is a very melee focused comp to see how often I can make use of that piercing effect, so long as you hit just two vampires per shot you've almost doubled the DPS of the other guns apparently.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=12764
    Look for MasterZtark's post on 21st July, Dual only does 5.5 more DPS than Heavy, Piercing only 0.5 less than Heavy and Quick (if the numbers are accurate).

I though that might be how everyone else feels and the math from the thread sounds right; but it doesn't factor recoil which, if I understand from my experience with speed shooting this class, equates to about ever 3rd shot missing the mark. I think the others would be more viable with just a damage increase of about 10, not including the heavy.

Quick: 100
    Dual: 125
    Pierce: 140

Originally Posted by GenFeelGood
    I though that might be how everyone else feels and the math from the thread sounds right; but it doesn't factor recoil which, if I understand from my experience with speed shooting this class, equates to about ever 3rd shot missing the mark. I think the others would be more viable with just a damage increase of about 10, not including the heavy.

Quick: 100
    Dual: 125
    Pierce: 140
    Sounds alright, how about just an increase of 5 for the duals though? They're still nice enough to use as they are.

I've been using the piercing pistols a bit today, feels just like using any other pistols if your aim is true to be honest, just less poke damage. I've barely had any chance for piercing shots to land, when it has done it feels nice but doesn't feel like it's affecting the outcome much (though to be fair there hasn't been a lot of teamplay in my games today so humans have been getting a little face smashed). I think I actually got a kill while piercing through a Tyrant xD didn't notice until I checked the scoreboard.

Originally Posted by Sorrowgate
    I use the Dual Pistols sometimes just for that feel of speed, but almost always use Heavy for the poke damage and that satisfying noise they make with every shot.
    How could I have forgotten to mention that? Love the "heavy" sound they make!

i really really like prophet, the skills are really good especially with life leech, the skill that poisons and heals you with the weird black tentacles is one of my favourite, just place that down near where the vampires are attacking and most likely most of them will walk through it making you nearly invincible as it is constantly healing you and you can keep shooting.

It does great DPS if you have a vampire that doesn't strath and is just attacking straight on and the reload time is brilliant, just dodge and reload at the same time works a charm

i really really like prophet, the skills are really good especially with life leech, the skill that poisons and heals you with the weird black tentacles is one of my favourite, just place that down near where the vampires are attacking and most likely most of them will walk through it making you nearly invincible as it is constantly healing you and you can keep shooting.

It does great DPS if you have a vampire that doesn't strath and is just attacking straight on and the reload time is brilliant, just dodge and reload at the same time works a charm

It's not uncommon for me to be #1 in damage and k:d:a as Prophet. Sometimes I can be #1 in those AND in healing!

Heavy Pistols
    Draining Curse or Hex Shot
    Life Steal ability-thingy

I typically will use Draining Curse, as it's a great way to survive due to the healing, and it's also great at scaring off or breaking up an assault by a group of vamps. I've even cast it under myself and immediately go for a Life Steal then keep shooting with pistols to try to out-heal a 1v1 vamp attack. It's surprisingly effective, but you have to remember to get out of your own AoE as soon as you get the kill.

If you find you're being targeted first in fights, swap out Draining Curse for Hex Shot. Don't forget that Hex Shot will break after the target takes too much damage, so sometimes it's better to disable that Reaver and have your team kill the Tyrant first. That Reaver will be disabled for a full 3 seconds!

Sacrifice is an amazing heal, but you have to have teammates who understand that it damages you and who are willing to defend you like crazy since you're giving up some survivability to help them out. Don't forget it can heal more than one teammate at a time! If you can find an Alchemist with the AoE heal, you've got it made! I typically take Draining Curse with this to try countering my self-damage from healing teammates, but again, once vamps see you healing teammates, they'll typically target you first, so Hex Shot is your best bet at that point.

My favorite thing about the Prophet is the Heavy Pistol. Sentinels will HATE you. Finishing off fleeing vamps is a breeze. Be on the lookout for Reavers and Deceivers on the rooftops who are trying to aim a bomb or land a mind control! Not only can you scare them and mess up shots, but they'll be wounded and think twice about engaging a fight.

Harass, harass, harass, harass!

I love the prophet. Favorite class on either side. Only problem is I'm god awful with him. Can't win a dps war with anyone. K/D is terribad. I'm just so much better with a Hunter :/

Originally Posted by Shodan_SS2
    I love the prophet. Favorite class on either side. Only problem is I'm god awful with him. Can't win a dps war with anyone. K/D is terribad. I'm just so much better with a Hunter :/
    Can't go wrong with heavy pistols.