Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94

Thread: My Only Fear

  1. #1

    My Only Fear

    loved the new trailer, I like the new darker route that the games are taking but
    my only fear is that in the new game they introduce a love interest for Lara
    in my opinion that is a bad idea, they introduced one in the Tomb Raider comics and I found that it ruined Lara, the guy (forgotten his name) was an unlikable character and wasn't a welcome addition to the character roster, the same problem (among many others) was in the films, the problem is that the players of the games love Lara and players wont agree on who is good enough for her

    so please, please keep Lara single, by all means have he flirt with other characters just don't try to pin her to another because that would kill part of Lara's mystery, and Lara is one of the greatest, strongest, most loved characters ever created, and that mystery about her is one of the reasons why

  2. #2

    Smile

    Exactly, she doesent need a Man or Lesbian Woman to feel Strong, Woman can be Strong just like Men, no need for Love to show they are Weak.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    748
    No idea what the hell you are talking about with "love and weak" but wtf, Lara has a love interest in the comics?! O_o

  4. #4
    Yeah, let's plan to.....riot? (As Driber says )

  5. #5

    Smile

    Thank goodness its Not Sam and besides, Lara is a Loner, no need to fill the Void in her life to make closure on some Romantic Hollywood Movie.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    748
    Maybe you watch the wrong movies then. I haven't had one cheesy relationship in the stuff I watch for over 5 years or so. As I always say, if done right... (no one is talking about stupid Hollywood Twilight ).

  7. #7
    OP is talking about the old comics, way back in the day. And while yes, it was a little silly and forced there, video game storytelling has come a long way. Nathan and Elena from Uncharted is a pretty good example of a romance that made characters grow without it being forced or some kind of distraction.
    "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

  8. #8
    I don't need any relationship in TR myself, I just think Lara should be able to love and be attracted to someone and not just care about tomb raiding and tomb raiding only.
    I also think people should not just focus on those crappy Hollywood romances when talking about a love interest for Lara. There are tons of examples where actually enhances and deepens a characters personality because it is done right.
    What if just the stickers are "made in Germany"?
    Deviantart for some TR Renderings... and LaraxSam.

  9. #9
    Nathan and Elena are a good example, but those two characters were introduced together and evolved together, Since Lara has been around since 1996, she has developed a huge following of fans who love and respect her (including me) and it will be almost impossible to introduce a new character who will be accepted as Lara's equal

  10. #10
    no thanks any cheesy relationships!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbsts23 View Post
    Nathan and Elena are a good example, but those two characters were introduced together and evolved together, Since Lara has been around since 1996, she has developed a huge following of fans who love and respect her (including me) and it will be almost impossible to introduce a new character who will be accepted as Lara's equal
    And this is exactly one of the reasons why it won't be done.

    Don't worry, ssbsts23; CD has been quite clear about this on several occasions - it ain't happening

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    And this is exactly one of the reasons why it won't be done.

    Don't worry, ssbsts23; CD has been quite clear about this on several occasions - it ain't happening
    oh god thank you, I can rest easy now

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    still think that it wont harm. maybe one day we will see it happen. or as i have stated it many times, leave it optional to the player.
    signature image

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    still think that it wont harm. maybe one day we will see it happen. or as i have stated it many times, leave it optional to the player.
    That wouldn't work in a game like Tomb Raider, then the arguement would over what is canon and what isn't. But yes Crystal D has spoken on the matter several times and I think they're making the right call.

  15. #15
    Yeah, optional stuff works in RPGs, where pretty much everything is optional.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,541
    The only thing there is to fear is fear itself
    Sorry, just couldn't resist

    But to get back on topic, I must respectfully disagree. I think that introducing a love interest can help to enrich Lara's character development, simply by providing the opportunity to explore the feelings she has beneath the surface.

    And I think it's important to address that feelings don't make anyone weak, not any man or woman.

    And it doesn't have to get involved in a serious/committed relationship. In no way am I proposing that Lara (or anybody for that matter) "requires" having someone in their life to feel "complete". Just to see that Lara has wants and needs and that she would desire some guy she meets, even if she holds herself back from seriously taking it anywhere for her own personal reasons.

    Now having what I just said, I'll still play devils advocate here; I still think a boyfriend (serious or casual) would go a lot longer a way to furthering that character development than just the isolated encounter, as it would show how meaningful said guy is to Lara. That importance would reveal significant meaning in her psyche.

    But hey, before we get all tangled in labels of bf, or relationship can we just agree that it wouldn't "destroy" Lara for her to simply... KISS a dude once in a while and, oh I don't know, actually enjoy it for herself?
    signature image

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    That wouldn't work in a game like Tomb Raider, then the arguement would over what is canon and what isn't. But yes Crystal D has spoken on the matter several times and I think they're making the right call.
    worked in AoD. and i think it was a nice touch to have some RPG elements. hell, even the choices you have made could kill her.
    like adobe said, it will not destroy laras personality. it will show more of her human side. its not like we are talking lara should focus only on that and forget or give up raiding.
    signature image

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    @AA: no. just... no



    Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    worked in AoD. and i think it was a nice touch to have some RPG elements. hell, even the choices you have made could kill her.
    Using AoD as proof that an "RPG Lara" would work is like using the Muppets to proof that frogs and pigs would make good couples.

    lol

    Seriously, though, the "RPG" elements in AoD are nothing like the kind of RPG element that are being proposed here, and shouldn't even be labeled as "RPG"

    Allowing the player to choose a dialog that either advances Lara in the story or kills her off couldn't be further away from real RPG, where your choices actually influence the story later on, in a meaningful way.

    Choosing a "wrong" dialog option and then Lara being dead is not advancing anything. It's just... GAME OVER, lol. Then you have to restart the game and still choose the "correct" dialog option. That's nothing like real RPG.

    So in short - no, it didn't "work" in AoD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    like adobe said, it will not destroy laras personality. it will show more of her human side. its not like we are talking lara should focus only on that and forget or give up raiding.
    I think you read AA's post wrong. That's not what he said.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,050
    The only RPG elements I wanna see are skill trees like in the previous game, and a lot of outfits
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

  20. #20
    From the trailer it looks like another game about her emotional development with a bow. From what Im reading people talk about online, most people seem to feel the last game should have been called rise of the tomb raider, that another emotional development game is kind of redundant so why buy it. I noticed quotes from the developer that were linked discussing how the person making it said they hated guns and want to move away from dual wielding guns which glorifies firearms. Apparently those quotes all came from from Karl Stewart and Brian Horton, Im not sure who they are but they seem to be the ones who are making these new games.

    From what people are saying, it seems that overall people are commenting that it just seems like the last game a generic cover shooter with the name "Tomb raider" on it. I did learn a new term from reading alot of discussions online, people are calling this new series "New Raider" and not "Tomb Raider" seems the fanbase has decided that the new games arent anything like the old games so adopted these terms separating the two in discussions. People seem to be saying gamers should avoid "Tomb Raider" named games, it seems the "Lara Croft" named games are about Tomb Raiding, while these new "Tomb Raider" named games are not about tomb raiding instead they are games where you learn about emotional development, seems they have the naming mixed up.

    I think Im going to pass on this game, I'll follow the discussions but Im waiting for a real Tomb Raider game not another rise of the tomb raider. Been there, done that in the last game. Whats next the development of Master Chief from Halo where he has no guns and goes around tripping over his own shoe laces? XDDD

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    From the trailer it looks like another game about her emotional development with a bow. From what Im reading people talk about online, most people seem to feel the last game should have been called rise of the tomb raider, that another emotional development game is kind of redundant so why buy it. I noticed quotes from the developer that were linked discussing how the person making it said they hated guns and want to move away from dual wielding guns which glorifies firearms. Apparently those quotes all came from from Karl Stewart and Brian Horton, Im not sure who they are but they seem to be the ones who are making these new games.

    From what people are saying, it seems that overall people are commenting that it just seems like the last game a generic cover shooter with the name "Tomb raider" on it. I did learn a new term from reading alot of discussions online, people are calling this new series "New Raider" and not "Tomb Raider" seems the fanbase has decided that the new games arent anything like the old games so adopted these terms separating the two in discussions. People seem to be saying gamers should avoid "Tomb Raider" named games, it seems the "Lara Croft" named games are about Tomb Raiding, while these new "Tomb Raider" named games are not about tomb raiding instead they are games where you learn about emotional development, seems they have the naming mixed up.

    I think Im going to pass on this game, I'll follow the discussions but Im waiting for a real Tomb Raider game not another rise of the tomb raider. Been there, done that in the last game. Whats next the development of Master Chief from Halo where he has no guns and goes around tripping over his own shoe laces? XDDD
    Sounds to me like you've been reading discussions coming from a bubble of cynical/bitter fans. I think you'll find that the opinions of the entire fanbase are far more varied than the summary you just gave.

    As for those supposed quotes from Karl/Brian - I seriously doubt those are true and accurate. That again just sounds like cynical/bitter fans putting words in the mouths of the devs.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,770
    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    From the trailer it looks like another game about her emotional development with a bow. From what Im reading people talk about online, most people seem to feel the last game should have been called rise of the tomb raider, that another emotional development game is kind of redundant so why buy it. I noticed quotes from the developer that were linked discussing how the person making it said they hated guns and want to move away from dual wielding guns which glorifies firearms. Apparently those quotes all came from from Karl Stewart and Brian Horton, Im not sure who they are but they seem to be the ones who are making these new games.

    From what people are saying, it seems that overall people are commenting that it just seems like the last game a generic cover shooter with the name "Tomb raider" on it. I did learn a new term from reading alot of discussions online, people are calling this new series "New Raider" and not "Tomb Raider" seems the fanbase has decided that the new games arent anything like the old games so adopted these terms separating the two in discussions. People seem to be saying gamers should avoid "Tomb Raider" named games, it seems the "Lara Croft" named games are about Tomb Raiding, while these new "Tomb Raider" named games are not about tomb raiding instead they are games where you learn about emotional development, seems they have the naming mixed up.

    I think Im going to pass on this game, I'll follow the discussions but Im waiting for a real Tomb Raider game not another rise of the tomb raider. Been there, done that in the last game. Whats next the development of Master Chief from Halo where he has no guns and goes around tripping over his own shoe laces? XDDD
    Totally staggered! You are NOT buying ROTTR without even seeing footage, reading reviews or hearing about the story etc! Wow, the games that you play must be totally outstanding then if they have to meet this expectation!

    As far as i know, no-one has seen footage, played the game or read the story line and it is at least a year from Alpha. Don't you think that you should make a decision based on your factual knowledge of the game, which at this point is minimal, rather than others personal opinion and wild speculation?
    signature image

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    From the trailer it looks like another game about her emotional development with a bow. From what Im reading people talk about online, most people seem to feel the last game should have been called rise of the tomb raider, that another emotional development game is kind of redundant so why buy it. I noticed quotes from the developer that were linked discussing how the person making it said they hated guns and want to move away from dual wielding guns which glorifies firearms. Apparently those quotes all came from from Karl Stewart and Brian Horton, Im not sure who they are but they seem to be the ones who are making these new games.

    From what people are saying, it seems that overall people are commenting that it just seems like the last game a generic cover shooter with the name "Tomb raider" on it. I did learn a new term from reading alot of discussions online, people are calling this new series "New Raider" and not "Tomb Raider" seems the fanbase has decided that the new games arent anything like the old games so adopted these terms separating the two in discussions. People seem to be saying gamers should avoid "Tomb Raider" named games, it seems the "Lara Croft" named games are about Tomb Raiding, while these new "Tomb Raider" named games are not about tomb raiding instead they are games where you learn about emotional development, seems they have the naming mixed up.

    I think Im going to pass on this game, I'll follow the discussions but Im waiting for a real Tomb Raider game not another rise of the tomb raider. Been there, done that in the last game. Whats next the development of Master Chief from Halo where he has no guns and goes around tripping over his own shoe laces? XDDD
    Just becuase the game has "Rise" in the title, doesn't mean she isn't a Tomb Raider. Batman "rised" in the 3rd movie, but do you want to tell me he wasn't Batman in the 2 previous ones? And since when tomb raiding and being badass can't coexist with emotional development? I think the trailer depicted Lara really well, and I viewed the whole "therapy" thing as an ironic thing, since she didn't close herself in, she's actually tomb raiding. You didn't expect she would tell her psychiatrist she's up and about killing people all around the globe, raiding tombs? He would diagnose her psychotic and bring police on her ass... And what? Since the last game was about emotional development, emotions and whatever are forbidden in the following games? Let me tell you something right now, that kind of game would suck... Emotions don't necessarily mean "cry", "weak", emotions are also "laugh", "good sense of humor", "sense of rightousness", "selfishness"... She is the Tomb Raider and we're seeing her being the Tomb Raider, hence the Rise... Rise doesn't mean she isn't the tomb raider, Rise means she is. And it's just a minute-long cinematic trailer, not many things can be gathered from that.
    Raiding tombs since 2007. tumblr | N7 #HeroOfFerelden #ChampionOfKirkwall
    signature image

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,770
    You could say she has fallen since Yamatai, and now she is rising again from that experience. The interesting point maybe what her motivation will be to do so...
    signature image

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    Just becuase the game has "Rise" in the title, doesn't mean she isn't a Tomb Raider. Batman "rised" in the 3rd movie, but do you want to tell me he wasn't Batman in the 2 previous ones? And since when tomb raiding and being badass can't coexist with emotional development? I think the trailer depicted Lara really well, and I viewed the whole "therapy" thing as an ironic thing, since she didn't close herself in, she's actually tomb raiding. You didn't expect she would tell her psychiatrist she's up and about killing people all around the globe, raiding tombs? He would diagnose her psychotic and bring police on her ass... And what? Since the last game was about emotional development, emotions and whatever are forbidden in the following games? Let me tell you something right now, that kind of game would suck... Emotions don't necessarily mean "cry", "weak", emotions are also "laugh", "good sense of humor", "sense of rightousness", "selfishness"... She is the Tomb Raider and we're seeing her being the Tomb Raider, hence the Rise... Rise doesn't mean she isn't the tomb raider, Rise means she is. And it's just a minute-long cinematic trailer, not many things can be gathered from that.
    This may need to be communicated more effectively as I notice the gaming community is not seeing that angle about how critical emotional development is in gameplay or how the word "rise" is being used in this instance. She kinda did that before in the last game. Batman did rise, but only once. I think this is what people are noticing about the game simply from the "name". A name is everything today, often people dont look past a titles "name" or the "box art" and will just pass right by it on the shelf to another product. This is where marketing could be key in communicating the importance of emotional development in the game industry?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •