Thread: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - News and Updates

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - News and Updates

Originally Posted by dabob

Title isn't FINALIZED as Lightning Return's: Final Fantasy XIII, is it?

I'm pretty sure that's the name. It's already known as LR: FF XIII, so I doubt they will change the name in a years time.

Originally Posted by Mag1cMag3

I would like to post my thoughts after having watched the 37 minute video presentation of Lightning Returns:Final Fantasy XIII.

The title LR:FFXIII should not be used. If Square Enix is truthfull in their statement that this game is the last of the trilogy then there is no reason for them not to have a picture of Lightning on the front cover and name the game Final Fantasy XIII-3. Lightning was on the first and second cover so be consistent. This is not Lord of the Rings Volume 3: Return of the King. This is not Star Wars episode 6: Return of the Jedi.

Monorail: Claire "Lightning" Farron is now a goddess. Lightning can summon Odin and transform him into a horse or airplane. I know this for a fact because I saw Lightning do this in the opening cinematic battle that lasted for 30 minutes at the start of Final Fantasy XIII-2. Lightning can fly the skies using Odin as an airplane why would she ever use a monorail?

Locked Gates and Blind Alleyways: The gameplay will feature mechanisms in which if you wonder a passageway at night or enter an area you may get trapped by a locked gate. Lightning could just summon Odin and transform him into a horse and just jump over the gate.

Gameplay will feature Lightning tracking thieves by ducking behind objects and using stealth: This is not Metal Gear Solid. Lightning is a goddess. She is the ruler of Valhalla. Lightning does not need to hide from thieves or anyone else for that matter.

Doomsday Clock: A beautifully designed world but unfortunately a self imposed time limit in which you will not be able to enjoy the scenery. Gran Pulse was amazing in Final Fantasy XIII and we had all the time in the world to enjoy it.

The Story: Final Fantasy XIII--rescue Serah/save Cocoon. Final Fantasy XIII-2--rescue Claire Farron but that did not end well. I do not see how LR:FFXIII can answer a thousand questions that players may be asking themselves.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Alternate universe timelines that were never explained in the game. Academia 400AF and Academia 4XXAF. The XX in the date represented an alternate universe. It would be extremely difficult for LR:FFXIII to use the Historia Crux once again because they would have to spend hours answering all the questions we have form using it in FFXIII-2.

Cover Design: The new cover will feature a Crystal Logo that represents Lightning. Really! Why would you do that? Players do not want to look a at Logo they want to look at Lightning herself.

Isamu Kamikokuryo: As you know an oil painting by Isamu was recently revealed by Square Enix. A direct quote from the Final Fantasy Forums.net website,"This is his first painting in 10 years. That`s showing how important this game is for him!" Their has been praise for the painting as well as negative reactions. I find it shamefull that Square Enix forced this upon Isamu. The beautifully designed world that was revealed as Novus Partus was created by Isamu. Why oh why did SE not allow Isamu to use the best graphical tools to create a breathtaking image of Lightning.

Re: Goddess: How do we know Lightning has any of her powers from previous titles? Who's to say she can still summon Odin?

Re: Logo/Cover: I like the logo. A lot. Also, FFXIII only had Lightning on the cover overseas; the original cover just had the Amano artwork & logo on white. How do you know the US won't get another cover like we did the previous two? Honestly, I would much prefer just a logo on black, as I think the American artwork for FF has always been extremely tacky, but we have no idea what the final international artwork will be.

and lastly, re: Kamikokuryo: what's wrong with the painting? The painting is way more evocative than any digital image could/would be. It's not like Square told him to do a painting for the sake of crippling his art.

A lot of people across the Internet are lambasting the painting. All the proportions are off. Check Neogaf to see what I mean. They got an actual artist to analyze it and he says the environment was done really well but the character he painted is so disproportionate that it almost seems like an amateur did it.

God, I am too hyped for this game. As soon as I read articles about the concepts of this game, I immediately thought back to the time where I first seen this trailer @0:47: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ephE0HMts0

If LR:FFXIII is anything like that, this game is going to be crazy. And now that Lightning has "crossed over" to deity status, it's going to look absolutely insane. LR is looking to be an ambitious project. A damn shame on how the whole series turned out. If the development for the first XIII would have gone smoother, this could've been looked at as a series/trilogy of RPG's that defined this gen, instead of as nothing more than a cash cow. Versus XIII development being pushed back as well as being announced too early doesn't help the reputation of the XIII saga either. Oh well, this game seems like it's going to be really sweet. Here's hoping it goes out with a bang. And here's also hoping Square takes their time with it and think, "is it fun?"

More thoughts, the only things I don't like so far, is that we won't be able to play as Lightning's fellow teammates, specifically, Snow, Fang and Vanille. Doomsday clock, doesn't bother me too much, since you can extend the timer by doing sidequests and defeating monsters, etc. Seems like it encourages exploration, even though there's, well, a time limit. Nice.

Yup. Painting is defiantly off.

(Just a rough sketch. Mirroring a picture every now and then always helps when you are trying to draw something. Speaking of which...

semna28.webs.com/Cloud_Reverse.jpg Skewed face, huh?

That's the downside with traditional art. Even so, I still think it's a beautiful painting.)

Imo its art. Thats the thing these days with peoples expectations around CGI and such. I think people are just spoiled and have forgotten how to appreciate art like this these days, the last thing I would think to do is compare the proportions of this painting.

I can't deny that I noticed the details I pointed out in red when I first saw the painting, yet what is there to complain about? He only had a month to complete this piece of art (alongside his usual busy schedule). "If you can do a better job in oil within the same timeframe, then go ahead and create a masterpiece of your own", I'd say. After all, the more the merrier.

Originally Posted by Grimoire
    I can't deny that I noticed the details I pointed out in red when I first saw the painting, yet what is there to complain about? He only had a month to complete this piece of art (alongside his usual busy schedule). "If you can do a better job in oil within the same timeframe, then go ahead and create a masterpiece of your own", I'd say. After all, the more the merrier.
    Yea exactly I couldn't agree more.

(Of course, spending your time on drawing something simple like this: semna22.webs.com/Rocobo_Dajhski.jpg instead of complaining is much more fun, too. ^_-)

You can already book a copy of the game from the Square Enix e-STORE.

store.jp.square-enix.com/entrymail/Light...

Does anyone have an idea of what time the updates will get posted today on the website? it's 10:36 Toronto time here.

Only time will tell...

Here's an interesting question:

Q: "Is that the same Red Dragon Monster which looks kind of similar to Agni's Philosophy trailer or is this just wishful thinking"

A: I believe the Red Dragon Monster should use pretty much the same CG animation pattern as the Scalebeasts. Just guesswork from my side though.

Come to think of it, there were almost no completely "new" enemies in FFXIII-2, where there (apart from DLC opponents, that is)? Adam used the same animation pattern as Anima (for obvious reasons), Faeryl = Dahaka, and so on. The Potcat type monsters were a cute addition though. So, what animation patterns do you think the new monsters will use? The Moombas will obviously use the Goblin pattern, but what about the Skeleton Warriors and the axe-wielding Anubis? A modified version of Odin's movements and that of a Behemoth?

I'm waiting for the news today -.-

Ben Bateman (SEM EU): "Hey guys, I saw a number of comments that suggested you were expecting further details today. As I wasn't expecting any further announcements I've looked into it and it looks like there's just been a bit of confusion. The videos that are over on the website (finalfantasy13game.com/lightningreturns/...), the information here, and the concept art are all we're revealing for the time being. The North American website for LIGHTNING RETURNS didn't contain all the details for the reveal and they're scheduling to update the website soon (hopefully alter today).

We apologise for the confusion that's been caused.

Obviously we'll be talking more about LIGHTNING RETURNS in the future, but don't expect any big news for a while. In the meantime we do want to hear your thoughts, opinions and most importantly your questions!"

eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/announcing-li...

Hmm, I assumed there was suppose to be an in-game trailer? Oh Well, the website looks nicely detailed so far.

They probably want to save it for Tokyo Game Show.

Quoting Ben again: "Yeah, I think I read that Famitsu might have an interview on the 6th? I'm not confirming this at all but it might be worth keeping a check on Andriasang.com just in case. I'll see what I can find out."

Member X: "Thanks for the clarification. However miscommunication has been a very prominent problem with SE lately. How is it possible to announce an update to the official site that will add (old) information you can already find online... Shouldn't the official site be THE site to announce new things about its game?"

Ben: "You're right, this is indeed an area we need to improve on. SEA, SEE, and SEJ provide tailored coverage for their own territories. Of course in today's world where everything is freely available on the internet, these kind of values mean that online plans should be united and simultaneous. I don't know the reason behind the delayed update of the North American website (you'd have to ask SEA) but I apologise for the confusion it has caused. I will of course send both this feedback to SEA and SEJ in hope that we can improve upon this for next time.
    In the meantime I'd suggest that unless you see anything on the SEE blog that states there are further details on the way, to take the information you see with a pinch of salt."

Hmm...the NA website (finalfantasyxiii.com/LR/) has yet to be updated with the information available on the EU website (finalfantasy13game.com/lightningreturns/), it seems. Well then, I'll just check it out tomorrow instead. The staff is probably tired after PAX. No need to hurry.

Hey guys,

As some of you may know, Square Enix will conclude the XIII saga with Lightning Returns. An interview, through Famitsu, revealed the following:

<ul>[*]The game is currently 30% complete[*]This will be Lightning's last game and will end with a happy ending. The game has just one ending.[*]The first FFXIII was story driven, meaning that the story pulled the player along. FFXIII-2 was player driven, meaning players selected the story. Lightning Returns is World Driven, meaning players have to consider how they interact with the changing world.[*]The game's in-game time works out to one day being the equivalent of one to two hours of real time. There will be increases and decreases in time.[*]The game is meant to be played and cleared multiple times. The volume is not such that it will take many tens of hours to clear once.[*]People from XIII-2 haven't died. Because of the effects of the chaos (I'm not sure if this is the proper English word), people have stopped aging and don't get old.[*]The Novus world has four continents, two natural and two city-type.[*]Depending on your actions, the remaining life of the world could decrease, and the game could end before the 13 day limit.[*]There are some times when helping someone will decrease the life of the world.[*]Defeating some enemies and clearing some quests will increase the life of the world.[*]Lightning is all by herself in battle, allowing you to concentrate more than when you had to control a party.[*]Lightning has become a considerably more refined person.[*]You can freely move around during battle. Some elements of the battle system are timing-based.[*]The battle system is close to action. There's an ATB gauge.[*]During battle, you don't select menu commands. Instead, you select abilities which have been assigned to buttons.[*]Hope will give guidance to Lightning via wireless com.[*]The city has clocks everywhere showing the constant progression of time.[/list]
    I'm pretty excited about this. And Hope is there [img]/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif[/img] I hope (lol) Noel will also be included! What do you guys think? Excited or nahhh a pass?

Quoting Andriasang:

"Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Details

Famitsu gets the scoops on Lightning's last adventure. Hope will be there. Will you?"

andriasang.com/con2l3/lightning_returns_...

"A few new details on Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII have surfaced from an interview in this week's Famitsu. Here are some of the key points:

<ul>[*]The game is currently 30% complete[*]This will be Lightning's last game and will end with a happy ending. The game has just one ending.[*]The first FFXIII was story driven, meaning that the story pulled the player along. FFXIII-2 was player driven, meaning players selected the story. Lightning Returns is World Driven, meaning players have to consider how they interact with the changing world.[*]The game's in-game time works out to one day being the equivalent of one to two hours of real time. There will be increases and decreases in time.[*]The game is meant to be played and cleared multiple times. The volume is not such that it will take many tens of hours to clear once.[*]People from XIII-2 haven't died. Because of the effects of the chaos (I'm not sure if this is the proper English word), people have stopped aging and don't get old.[*]The Novus world has four continents, two natural and two city-type.[*]Depending on your actions, the remaining life of the world could decrease, and the game could end before the 13 day limit.[*]There are some times when helping someone will decrease the life of the world.[*]Defeating some enemies and clearing some quests will increase the life of the world.[*]Lightning is all by herself in battle, allowing you to concentrate more than when you had to control a party.[*]Lightning has become a considerably more refined person.[*]You can freely move around during battle. Some elements of the battle system are timing-based.[*]The battle system is close to action. There's an ATB gauge.[*]During battle, you don't select menu commands. Instead, you select abilities which have been assigned to buttons.[*]Hope will give guidance to Lightning via wireless com.[*]The city has clocks everywhere showing the constant progression of time."[/list]

And the NA website has been updated: finalfantasyxiii.com/LR/

(This belongs in the FFXIIILR forum: na.square-enix.com/go/forum/view/139235/...)

More info today?

Originally Posted by Deividas

More info today?

Mhm...

Ben Bateman (SEM EU): "No, as Grimoire has stated the information you have online, the presentation videos and the concept art is all we're revealing at this stage. I'd recommend reading the Famitsu interview though that Grimoire posted below, it's got some good details in it. "

Explanation: na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235...

Member X: "Will more be revealed today?"

G: More than what I just quoted? No. I think we have already received plenty as it is.

Ben Bateman (SEM EU): "No, as Grimoire has stated the information you have online, the presentation videos and the concept art is all we're revealing at this stage. I'd recommend reading the Famitsu interview though that Grimoire posted, it's got some good details in it."

I really can't talk about our plans, sorry. You won't hear anything more about Lightning Returns until I'm allowed to talk about it. You're just gonna have to wait, but it'll be worth it "

I love you Grimoire. Lol. You have been updating us with sweet updates. =)

I can't wait to play this game! Still playing XIII-2 !

Page 3 of 85 First First 12345671353 ... Last