Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tomb Raider Fan Fiction

Yeah, I noticed (and appreciated) the retcon, upon rereading I see where I went offtrack:

To Winston’s utter despair, Lara’s obsession seemed so involved, it seemed to him that she was beginning to believe it was her own parents she was looking for; it was she who’d experienced the plane crash at aged nine and not this stranger.
    Punctuation 1, Treeble 0.

(but psst, second line is a typo, right? "(...) to be have (...)"? I'm so annoying. Sorry!)

That is a typo, yeah . I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes in there.

This one was a little bit of fun. I should note that all of the fics so far are years old.
    Lara's Haunting Past

It was Halloween night and a funfair was in town. Lara and her friend Molly were ready for some fun after a hectic week at University. Lara, in particular, was looking for an adrenalin rush. Molly was a lot of fun, but tended to play safe. Still, Lara was sure she’d be able to persuade her friend to go on most of the rides.

They met at the gates and proceeded to make their way to the long queue. Lara, always uncomfortable in large crowds and anxious to start having a good time, fidgeted and complained about the hold up.

“Quit your winging!” Molly said good humidly, nudging Lara lightly with her elbow. “You do realise we’ll have to queue for the rides?”

Finally, they were at the front of the queue and paying the entrance fee. Lara set off almost before the man could stamp her hand.

The crowd dispersed as people went in different directions. Instantly the scents of coffee, chips and candyfloss permeated the air.

“Mmm, smells good. We’ve got to get some chips,” said Molly, heading for the nearest refreshment van.

“Not so fast! May as well work up an appetite first,” Lara said, with a glint in her eye as she took in the rides. Molly stopped.

“Yeah you’re right. What ride first then?”

“Rollercoaster?”

Molly smiled. “I’d rather pace myself. What about the ghost train?”

“Right. Lightweight’s way it is,” Lara said with a smirk, but she led the way to the ghost train all the same, Molly running to catch up.

The train ride was rather short and not at all scary, although Molly screamed at a skeleton that appeared suddenly from a wall. At the final corner, Lara saw something that looked vaguely familiar. Was it a mummy? But it had few bandages with flesh and bones quite visible. And it looked strangely feline.

As the train jolted to a stop, Lara commented “That mummy looked quite unique.”

“Hmm...Yeah, I guess, but you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.”

Lara remained quiet, leaving Molly to chatter on.

The two girls continued their evening trying as many of the rides as they could, the price of which had been included in the entrance fee. Lara refused to part further cash on the many stalls that weren’t included in the fare. Games that involved playing darts or hooking ducks, most claiming a chance to ‘Win Every Time!’

After satisfying their hunger with a portion of chips and a polystyrene cup of weak tea, Lara and Molly headed for the Fun House of Mirrors. After some persuasion from her friend, Lara agreed to go in. There were two entrances.

“We can meet in the middle!” Molly exclaimed as she made for the door on the right. Lara took the left door, feeling a little dubious she’d have any fun at all. Still, it would allow the food to go down. Rollercoasters on a full stomach were not a good idea, and this year’s looked very promising for a scare factor.

She stepped inside the room to be immediately confronted by a corridor of mirrors, each one contorting her reflection in amusing ways. She walked through and turned left: it looked as if she were in a maze. ‘This could make things interesting,’ she thought. She carried on in confidence. Making another left turn, Lara stopped in her tracks. Ahead, a mirror reflected not herself, but someone that looked...just like her, but with strange skin. Beside her, reflected in the next mirror another figure appeared. This one was of a flesh creature of human form in the shape that looked eerily similar to her strange look-a-like. She stepped forward. Both figures did the same. A movement to her right caught her eye. She turned. So did her doppelgangers. In the mirror she was now looking at a woman dressed in a black suit and carrying a strange ornate staff looking back at her. In the next, a blonde woman in white pyjamas stared with cold eyes. Beside her, a grotesque figure, a giant spider like creature with the head of a man, in the next, a dark haired man. Lara found herself surrounded by strange people or creatures. The skeletal cat mummy from the ghost train, a large skeleton knight, a ten foot troll or yeti stood in another mirror, A Japanese man covered in tattoos, yet another blonde woman wearing a skull shaped pendent with a creature that looked as if made of fog by her side. They all stood staring, menacing. There were more reflections further down the corridor to her left. Lara guessed there could be more if she cared to look. None of these people or creatures was in the room with her. Just their reflections.

Lara didn’t know what was going on, but she felt decidedly uneasy. If this was some trick, it was a very good one. She was not feeling at all inclined to laugh.

“Who...who are you people?”

The leather clad look-a-like spoke first. “I am you, with...” the woman hesitated. Acting braver than she felt, Lara interrupted.

“...very bad skin?” she ventured at bad humour to cover her nerves.

“It’s very nice to see you again, Lara.” The woman in white said. She smiled, but it wasn’t friendly.

“Again? I’ve never met you before,” stammered Lara.

“Feeling shy, Ma Chère?” This came from a woman who wore black cut off jeans and had a cigarette in her mouth. What was it with all these blondes? Lara couldn’t help thinking despite her growing fear.

“I don’t understand...who are you people?” Lara tried again.

“We’re your past, Lara. Here to avenge ourselves.”

“You’ll never get away from us,” tattoo man said

“The past?”

“Not very bright, are you?” the suited woman sneered. She stepped forward, staff held high, its glass ball glowing green.

“Wait!” The pyjama woman gestured for her companion to stop. “This girl does seem young. Younger than I remember her.”

“Who cares?” cried the woman with the pendent reaching for to her neck. “She needs to die!”

“She needs to suffer!” The spider creature also moved.

“As she made us suffer!” a man’s voice to her left cried out. His voice was full of so much hate, Lara visibly shivered in response.

“I....don’t know what you mean!” Lara backed away from these reflections. As afraid as she was now feeling, she was thinking fast. Could these beings hurt her, being in the mirrors as they were? How could she possibly defend herself? A rational thought was still niggling away. This had to be a trick of some sort. How it was being done, she had no idea. It was all so convincing. She guessed that each character would say the same things no matter who was in this maze. She wondered how Molly was coping. The thought of Molly spurred her on. She backed away further before turning to run. But the reflections were still there. She ran. She couldn’t be too far from the entrance, could she?

“Molly! Molly, are you there?”

“No use shouting out, Lara!” In a blinding flash a green bolt hit the floor by her side. Lara screamed. She ran faster now, turning right, and then left. But the entrance wasn’t there as she thought it would be. She could hear footsteps and another green light flashed by her. Somewhere from behind a creature growled.

Her heart pumping hard against her chest, a stitch in her side, Lara sprinted down another corridor. A panther, then a tiger, a terrible vision of a dragon came from her left. A real flame of red hot yellow and orange scorched the floor. Lara rolled, moving out of the way just in time. A split second slower and she’d have been burned. The beings in the mirrors were somehow able to move from mirror to mirror. Lara was trapped in a maze of glass with what could be hundreds of beings out to hurt her.

“Molly!” she screamed again.

“Lara. Where are you?” the reassuring voice of her friend reached her through the throng of steps and shouts from her enemies. Lara’s side was hurting. She came to a junction. She stopped briefly only to be confronted by a huge sword swishing from the mirror. She stumbled in her attempt to run away again. A metal pole, perhaps a pipe, rolled across the floor. Lara bent to pick it up. Lara tripped, felt an agonising sting as something with huge fangs bit her leg. She screamed and kicked out at the unseen creature, only a glimpse of a terrifying serpent in the corner of her eye. The sound of smashing glass. The mirror shattered into many small pieces to the floor. The snake was gone. Her leg no longer pained her. Another flash of green. With strength she didn’t know she possessed, Lara swung at the glass. The mirror broke. The reflection was gone. She smashed another and another of the mirrors.

Something touched her shoulder: “Lara.” Lara turned nimbly and went to swing the pipe. And then stopped herself, just in time. Molly was standing there, concern etched over her soft features.

“Lara, it’s okay, it’s just an illusion.” Lara stared at her friend for a moment, wide eyed with fear still. Then she looked around her and saw that the images were all gone. The doppelgangers, the pyjama woman, tattoo man, they were all gone.

“What on earth did you see anyway?” her friend asked.

“No...nothing.”

“It didn’t look like nothing. Anyway. We’d better get out. Come on, this way.” Molly led Lara to the exit. Lara took one last look back. Everything was back to normal. The pipe lay on the floor, but all the mirrors were intact. Just as the door clicked shut, a female voice spoke out.

“You can’t flee from your past, Lara.” And then the door was shut and Lara and Molly were once again in among the throng of people all wishing to win a prize, to have fun. Children ran about as parents tried to catch up. Young couples held hands while eating floss, stall holders yelled out to anyone willing to listen and music blared.

“Want to finish with the rollercoaster?” asked Molly who clearly had chosen to ignore Lara’s odd behaviour in the Fun House. Or perhaps she was being easy on Lara, just this once.

“No. Actually, I think I want to go home. I feel as if I’ve had enough excitement for one night.”
    I did go through this briefly for spelling and grammar, but if you spot any glaring mistakes feel free to nudge me with a grammar stick.
    Last edited by Rai; 22nd Feb 2015 at 16:29.

Yay , new story !

Your writing really pulls the reader into the action

Wow , it feels eerily familiar to what reboot lara is going through ( flashbacks/panic attacks ) . Did it ever occur to you ( while writing the story ) that Lara having mental trauma would be a big plot thread in a TR game ?

Yay, a reader!

Glad you like it .

I wrote that in 2011, when we all still thought of Lara as someone who was not fazed by anything. I recall wondering 'what if' and thought I'd try to bring a sense of panic into a story that was based under the theme of 'fear'. I realise that quite a few of my stories aren't very 'tomb raider-y' in the sense of being set during an adventure, but I like seeing Lara in different circumstances. I never once thought mental trauma would actually be brought into the games.

I rather liked the house of mirrors featuring familar faces, in a way it reminded me of the final season of Heroes, which was aired at the time of writing... Coincidence?

Other than the abrupt ending it was a rather enjoyable read. I have to admit though, I'm more of a fan of "traditional" Lara fanfics, though I've not read many reboot Lara ones to date.

Looking forward to the next fanfic drop. 😀

Glad you liked it, Treeble. . I only watched a few episodes of Heroes and had no idea how it ended, it is sheer coincidence that my story resembles that.

Time for a new one. Little explanation: This next story was written in 2012 and was an entry for a comp on TRF to re-write a scene from Tomb Raider and I chose the scene in TR:Underworld when Lara sees thrall Amelia.

Nightmare Found

Lara stepped cautiously into the cavern, alert as always. At the far end of the cavern, overlooking a pit, Eitr cascading eerily blue into it, was a figure. As Lara’s eyes adjusted to the light, the figure became clearer. It was human: female. And she was very familiar to Lara.

Can it be? Lara thought. After all the years of planning, of searching for answers, all the pain as each new discovery led to false hope. Even during last year’s search for further dais’ and the sword fragments, Lara hadn’t dared to hope that her mother could still be found alive. She’d hardened her heart to all real feeling, determined never to let the pain through again. And now, emotion threatened to overwhelm her. She must remain calm, she told herself. She didn’t want to risk upsetting her mother.

“Mother? The woman remained still, Lara stepped forward

“Mother, it’s me. It’s Lara.”

Slowly, Amelia turned to face Lara. The horrific reality of what she was seeing hit Lara like a sledgehammer. Amelia was hideously disfigured. One half of her face was burned, from the Eitr most likely, her clothes were tattered and hanging off an almost skeletal frame. Amelia’s skin was torn, thin and burned, her ribcage was showing, even her still beating heart was uncovered. In assessing her mother’s poor plight, Lara came to the only logical explanation: her mother was a thrall, a human no longer. As much as it pained her to admit it, this was not her mother.

The creature that was once Amelia Croft was staggering toward Lara, arms outstretched. There was only one action Lara could take. She readied a pistol.

“No, no no no. You’re not my mother...” she said backing away as the creature advanced.

“la..La..ra.” the creature said, its voice so like Amelia’s yet strained and gargled as if it was talking under water. “Lara,” it repeated. The effect on Lara was immediate, she stopped, her gun hand lowered. Stunned, Lara could not believe that her mother recognised her still. Was she still in there, in some subconscious form? She had to be sure.

“Yes, it’s me, your daughter.”

“Daughter?” The creature...Amelia looked quizzically at Lara. “Daughter, Lara. You.. not. Did...this...to...me.” Amelia pointed at Lara.

Lara couldn’t understand it. Foreign tears threatened to flow, but she blinked them back.

“No...mother, I didn’t....I was nine years old.” She said in a small voice, determined to explain.

“Lara not do...you...in...I...did...voices. So hard.” The effort of speaking seemed to have taken all of Amelia’s strength. She visibly sagged at the knees. Lara moved to help her.

“No!” shrieked Amelia, in a terrible strangled cry. “Miss...Lara. You.....d..d...this…to…”

Lara shook her head. “Don’t talk, mother, it pains you...”

“Not...mother. You wrong...You did...this” Amelia crumpled to the floor.

Lara did not know what to do, what to say. So her mother blamed her. It was to be expected, perhaps. Still, the accusation hurt. She dared not move towards her mother, but every fibre of her being longed to help her. She desperately wanted to make things right. She in turn fell to her knees. She bent her head, forehead in her palm. She needed to think.

“Me...dead...don’t live..kill me.”

Lara’s head snapped up, her eyes wide with shock. Amelia was once again pointing at her; her facial expression full of anguish. It was too much to bear for the woman in front of her, who called herself after her daughter. She remembered the little girl whom she’d left behind, Memories forgotten resurfaced in the part of her that was still human.

“No. M...mother, I can help you.” Determination welled inside Lara, forcing any pain from her. She would find a way. She could pay for the best medical care. She could fix this. She could barely look her mother in the eyes. The woman who looked at her with such pleading could never be a creature. This was not a thrall. This was her mother and she would find a way to bring her back. .

“Not mother...end...must end. Tired. No..live. So...tired.” Amelia sank further to the ground now. “Miss my little Lara. Die here...Pleashe...La..rah. Free...me.”

A tear ran down her cheek unchecked. All her reserve squashed. Broken like fragile china.

“I c..ca...” Lara started to say, but before she could continue, she noticed Amelia’s gaze shifted to somewhere behind her.

“Pleashe...help...me.” Amelia said. Lara looked behind her, standing as she did so. There was her Doppelgänger. Lost in her emotions, Lara had failed to notice her entrance, had even failed to feel the tug as the Doppelgänger had snatched Thor’s hammer from its strap on her back. The Doppelgänger was looking at Amelia. Could that really be...pity etched on its pale features? Amelia spoke one last word, “Daughter.” There was a blinding flash of blue lightening that hit Amelia with such force, her lifeless body was flung into the deep pit.

“No!” screamed Lara, reaching helplessly at the falling figure. Lara stared in disbelief at the creature that had killed her mother. Yet, strangely, she did not act. Perhaps, deep down, Lara knew that the Doppelgänger had done the one thing she was too weak to do. Her unnatural twin looked, it seemed to Lara, defeated, almost as if some spark of humanity had been ignited. The two women, one human, one her imitation, looked at each other, some new understanding permeated through them, joining them in a way mere DNA could not. The Doppelgänger dropped the hammer to the ground. Instinctively, Lara reached for it, attaching it once more to the strap.

A voice from behind alerted her to the presence of a new arrival. It was Jacqueline Natla.

I'm running out of pre-written stories! . I'm going to have to start writing new ones. As long as I can get my arse into gear that is .

Ooh . You really ramped up the emotion in this scene . Writing emotional scenes must be hard because it is pretty easy to fall into sappy melodrama territory .

By the way , what did you think of the resolution of the find Amelia plot line in TRU ? I think the idea was fine , but the execution was sloppy . The scene felt rushed ....

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_shake View Post
    Ooh . You really ramped up the emotion in this scene . Writing emotional scenes must be hard because it is pretty easy to fall into sappy melodrama territory .

By the way , what did you think of the resolution of the find Amelia plot line in TRU ? I think the idea was fine , but the execution was sloppy . The scene felt rushed ....
    Thank you . Yeah, I was worried about making it too melodramatic, but I think I managed to keep from doing that.

I'm like you, I felt that it was rushed. We spend the whole game presumably trying to find an alternative way to 'Avalon' (or wherever Lara believes Amelia is), using the Norse artefacts, with Lara just happening across Amelia and almost immediately shooting at her and then bam, it's all over. And of course, with the additional complication of Natla and Amanda, I felt I'd forgotten what Lara's original goal was from the beginning. So by then, the emotional impact is kinda lost, imo.

I was wary of not changing the scene too much, so I decided to keep much of it the same, just adding that additional emotional conversation etc. I wanted it to be so that had that taken place, the game could still continue as it did.

How did I miss the update?

I for one quite liked the way the original scene played out in all honesty, even if there are plenty of things in the overarching plot that needed to be better addressed. Perhaps now that continuity has been dismissed we can each to our own "patch it up" with tweaks like Rai's story.

I'm not quite sure why Amelia became a thrall herself and technically we learned that the doppelganger also was one, but one... crafted? Considering how little or no intelligence the ancient thralls had, I think it's for the best Amelia didn't mumble at all in her new form. Wonder if all she originally wanted was a hug? lol

Still, having the Doppelganger deal the blow that Lara couldn't was a nice touch.

Thank you for your well thought out comments, Treeble.

The reason I gave Amelia a voice in this imagined alternative is to add more emotional depth. I'm not saying the original scene was badly done, but imo, it was all over too quickly and it's a shame Amelia thrall didn't somehow get more time considering what Lara went through to find answers to her mother's fate (The events in Legend as well as TRU). I feel that Amelia wasn't a full Thrall yet, and I wanted to explore the possibility that she may have had some form of intelligent thought. I saw it as a 'what if Amelia Thrall could have talked, what would she say?' I felt bad that Amelia spent so long without human contact and without a proper good bye to her daughter . I wanted an actual Amelia and Lara confrontation. I also didn't want to fabricate a completely different scenario, but to keep the scene as close as possible to the original, to keep it so the game continues in the same way.

Glad you liked Dopie's role.

Yeah... I think there was a journal entry about this in the game? Something about Lara wondering how long it took until she was "taken", and how it actually happened. Even trying to remember this makes me feel kinda guilty for Amelia, I think Lara's thoughts were along the lines of imagining the resident thralls bathing Amelia into eitr... Kinda gross I think? Then again, that's definitely not what any other thrall set out to do along the game, so maybe instead Amelia decided to give in and rather die to the eitr than be a thrall's lunch.

There really was a huge shift in tone... I mean, by the end of Legend, Lara seemed very optimistic about finding her mother (or rather, the truth), but early on in Underworld she was mostly leaning towards a "she's probably already dead after all these years" attitude.

But I totally see where you're coming from and in a way it does make sense that Amelia might have retained some humanity after the transformation. Not that you should have justified your decisions in the first place, sorry if I came across as a prick before.

So this one is from 2012 and not one of my best efforts. It's also the last of pre written stories, so anything after this will be brand new! It's incomplete and from a comp with the theme of Lara in space.

The cavern was so dark, even with a powerful torch, there was little to be seen beside what was directly in front of the torch beam. The walls here were no more or less than grey and plain with moss growing in clumps here and there. There were no markings save those naturally by water dripping steadily down them. The occasional stalactite made moving through the cavern a little uneasy, but generally speaking, this cavern was easier to navigate than some Lara could remember. In fact, the place was distinct only by its ordinariness. Except for the door. The door, Lara had managed to work out, was the entrance to the tomb she'd been searching a good few days to find on a planet that was made mostly of a labyrinth of caverns and tunnels. She knew it must be the correct one as she'd seen this door before - or at least its counterpart back on Earth.

Lara was currently stood in front of the door examining its fixtures. It took her moments to notice they were decorative only.

"Damn," she said aloud. Two green images to her right side flickered gently.

"What's up Lara? asked hologram Zip.

"The switch for the door is completely useless. There's no way in. This door must be a dummy, a diversion. I'm going to have to find another way in." Lara replied, a frown forming.

"Can't you teleport yourself in? You know, how all the space archaeologists do it? I went to a lot of trouble procuring that teleport badge for you." Said Zip, grumpily.

"No, lads. I'm going to have to use the old fashioned methods."

"What, dig?" said Alister, aghast.

"Don't be ridiculous, Alister. I mean the other old fashioned way." Lara said with a glint in her eye.

"Oh boy. Better put your ear muffs on!" warned Zip.

Lara dug out a hand grenade from her backpack. She tossed it at the door, then ran and dived for cover.
    There was an almighty boom! The whole cavern shook with the aftershock. Zip and Alister's holograms flickered a few times before going out altogether.

"Finally," said Lara. She knew that Zip would have the holographic devices working again soon, but for now, "a bit of quiet. I can concentrate now." Lara walked toward the opening she'd created. "Lovely." She walked into a small room. It was as plain and uninspiring as the cave without. This did not bother Lara. She moved around the small space, her hand smoothing the walls as she went. Finally she located the tiny button she needed. She pressed it and a near invisible trap door slid open at her feet. A glass panel was revealed. The writing on the panel was familiar to her; she'd seen it before on a remote island off the coast of Egypt on one of her first missions. It seemed a lifetime away. This writing belonged to an ancient alien civilization long lost to both the planet she was on, Altan and Earth. The code was simple enough to decipher. Within moments, Lara had touched the relevant symbols and was now stood waiting next to the panel. There was a beep, then with the sound that resembled a bus door opening, the floor vibrated and slowly another trap door slid open revealing a chute that fell almost completely horizontally to the floor.

Maybe communications would be more difficult down there. Zip and Alister were helpful, it was at times, especially during long journeys, but there were times, such as this, when she was on the verge of discovery, when silence was definitely golden.

The concrete slide was lined in gold and Atlantean writing covered the walls. Lara lowered herself to the opening and swung her legs over the edge. Then, she took a deep breath and launched herself down the chute. It seemed to go on forever; the tunnel curving left and right and back in on itself. It was like an enormous concrete snake. So fast was she sliding that Lara was feeling quite dizzy. She had almost stopped enjoying the ride, when she was flung forward. Lara rolled to lessen the impact as she toppled onto the floor of a large chamber.

It was magnificent. Murals were painted on the walls, just as they had in Egypt, except, here there were scenes which depicted beings which were definitely not human. The triumvirate were here in beautifully preserved detail and colour. Lara took her time inspecting the paintings and the carvings on the pillars that were lined like soldiers along each side of the room. Peculiarly, unlike her venture into an Atlantean pyramid, there was no lava here. Perhaps the lava had been needed back one Earth to replace alien technology. It soon became clear that this chamber, as impressive as it was, was not the chamber she'd come for. She walked on noticing a series of discs attached to the walls. Each disc was coloured either gold, silver or bronze and, it appeared that they were connected via cracks in the wall that lead like an intricate web to the far wall where a golden door was bolted shut. Each 'crack' had some form of liquid or gel in it, a glistening burnt colour that, Lara determined, should be flowing, but was currently static. Each disc had an Atlantean symbol etched in silver on it. A puzzle then, surely?

Lara hovered a hand over one of the discs. There was no heat being omitted from them. Cautiously, she took out a stylus from her pack and touched the disc gently with it. Nothing happened. So she tried her fingertips. As her flesh didn't freeze or burn off, she felt that it was safe to try properly. She laid a hand onto the disc and tested it for movement. With light pressure the disc went further into the wall, just like a button. Wary of activating something she wasn't ready for, she removed her hand before pressing the disc in further. There were ten discs in all, each with a different symbol and a web of gold gel. This would take some thinking. Perhaps there was a clue. She looked at the ceiling as if looking for inspiration. There was a picture, a map of sorts, of circles (the discs no doubt) painted on the ceiling. Each circle with its line led to a rectangle (the door). She could see now that the lines and discs formed a pattern. She looked at the map and back at the discs on the wall.

After much deliberation, Lara had decided she knew enough to complete the puzzle. She went around the room, pressing discs in what she considered the correct order. One by one, the discs lit up and with them, the cracks of gel. The gel lines changing from gold to a different colour. A rainbow pattern that connected to a square panel on the wall. Minute discs on the panel also lit up. The double doors slowly slid open.
    It was then that two etchings on either side of the door fizzed as if a current was running through them. Next moment two mutants had freed themselves from the wall and were firing...(was that Eitre?)...out of their clawed hands.

With lightening speed, Lara had her ray pistols at the ready and cart-wheeled to cover behind a pillar and fired back at the pair of mutants. These two didn't have wings and seemed fairly slow on their feet. Perhaps due to having been inanimate for so long. Lara tried something as they advanced to where she was hid.

"Och Eshiver!" she yelled. It didn't work.

"Well, it was worth a try." Lara ran for the next pillar, firing all the time at the creatures.

It was a long, arduous fight. But within a few minutes, each mutant fell to the ground. Lara winced as a burn to her shoulder throbbed painfully. She checked it and saw a red raw patch of skin there. She took out a salve from her backpack and applied cooling gel to the area. It immediately eased the pain and within a minute she continued on through the doors.

The room beyond was dazzling. The walls were almost completely covered in gold etchings of Atlantean symbols and a replica of the mural in the previous chamber depicting a scene of the Triumpherate: Natla, Tihocan and Qualapec standing around a dais, very much like those Lara had encountered in Nepal and Bolivia. The dais was glowing green. Tihocan held Excalibur in one hand and Qualapec the completed Scion. The floor was covered in a thick deep red carpet: the overall impression was of standing in the centre of a volcano. Lara stepped into the room, her booted feet sinking slightly in the thick carpet. At the very centre of the room was a pedestal decorated in emerald, gold and red. Hovering slightly above was the prize Lara had come for: The Scion itself, complete and unharmed.

This is what she’d come here for, what she’d spent years researching for. A good portion of her fortune had been spent on the teleport technology Zip had helped procure for her. She’d fought Jacqueline Natla and almost died in the process. Her former friend was lying on the ground, gravelly injured because of this. Her moment was here, on this planet that the Dais network had brought her to. The Scion spun slowly on its axis. Lara took in its brilliance, taking in every second of her accomplishment. She stepped toward the pedestal. Her pistols now re-holstered. She reached for the scion. Her hand was inches from her reward for all the hard work.

“Don’t!” It was a woman’s voice. Surely, after all this, Natla couldn’t possibly have survived and returned to her home planet? Lara span around looking for the source of the voice. A figure approached from the shadows, a sword clear in her hands. It wasn’t Jacqueline Natla. This woman had waist length dark hair. She walked regally towards Lara. Her dress was much in the same style as Natla’s had been only blue and silver. She wore a diadem of silver and emerald across her forehead. Her green eyes cold but so familiar to the tomb raider before her.

“Mother...,” said Lara, stunned. She felt she was seeing an apparition. The woman who stood before her was, in no doubt, her mother. Yet she had not aged since the day Lara had seen her vanish into the dais contraption.

“My name is Ailema, Queen of Atlantis. That,” she pointed at the Scion, “is the Scion, the holder of all knowledge of the Ancients. You have no right to it, Earth girl.”

This was insane! Her mother was clearly brainwashed.

I like the concept . How would the story have panned out ?

I have a humble request , can you write one story with reboot lara ? Maybe your vision of how Lara will discover Kitezh ( with all the exhilaration , fluttering and adrenaline of making her first big discovery ) . Wouldn't it be loverly ?

I'm not sure how it would have panned out, actually. I wrote it three years ago in a bit of a rush for the comp deadline. I must have had an idea back then, but any notes I might have had are long gone when my last pc died. Thank goodness for the internet!

I'm always up for requests! I do need to write more. The comp ran on trf was regular and I still have some theme prompts to work on. Perhaps I can put reboot Lara in one of those stories. I do have one story featuring her and Sam, the story I wrote for the comp held on this forum. I'm particularly proud of that one .

Wow, I'm over a month late (again) – where has time gone?

Planet Altan, eh? I liked the story all the way up to the closing scene, but maybe that's only because it ends in such a cliffhanger... I'm not quite sure about when it would take place. From what I understood, it was shortly after the events in Legend ("Her former friend was lying on the ground, gravelly injured because of this. Her moment was here, on this planet that the Dais network had brought her to.") but if so, how was she so prepared for outworldly conditions such as the ray pistols, holograms and teleport devices? I know I'm probably looking too much into it, but like I said, I liked it. Not sure what I make of reverse Amelia though.

Glad you liked it Treeble. As I said above, I wrote it three years ago and my notes are lost and I can't really remember where I was going with it. As I said, the theme was Lara in space, and I started with Lara on a planet with hologram Zip and Alistair. It is meant as being set after Legend with the additional space/futuristic twist. It's kinda sloppily done and doesn't make a lot of sense. I do remember thinking of Lara's line "I hold no illusions of my mother holding court in some mythical paradise" and thought it would be fun to explore that idea . Unfortunately, i tend to mix up ideas rather than just go with one.

I've missed your writing, Rai. I haven't been completely up-to-date on your postings, so I have quite a few new reads!
    signature image

Hey, Valenka, good to see you in here.

Hmm, I think it's time to kick my arse into gear and write something new.

It's been a while...

Not a story, but a peom this time. Inspired by TR'13 and Rise, I used her experiences during her adventures to delve into her mind and emotional well-being:

Alone in the Dark of Heart and Mind

Alone in the dark of heart and mind.
    I look for a way out, to leave the past behind.

Wading through a swamp of memories
    I may as well be climbing mountains and trees.

My history is dense, my future unclear
    I hunt for a truth like I'd hunt for deer.

With caution I'll move pace by pace.
    Take my time, I don't know what I could face.

Each new thought is another turn in a maze
    I need to find a way out of this haze.

I step into night when I need to find day
    I struggle to find the right way.

My way ahead is like a scraggy wall
    I'll need to take a leap of faith, try not to fall

If I can find courage, hope and sense
    Maybe I'll break down this lonely fence.

I feel like I'm wondering into a dark cave
    To save myself, I must be brave

To stop myself from being trapped
    I can't let my energy be zapped.

I must fight to beat this confusion
    Use my senses to see past an illusion.

Alone in the dark of heart and mind
    To myself, I must be kind.
    Last edited by Rai; 5th Feb 2016 at 23:43.

I read it early today just before leaving for work as you tweeted a link to it, quite like it - especially the ending verse.

Thanks Treeble .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123