Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider Fan Fiction

Tomb Raider Fan Fiction

So I decided to share with you lovely people my fan fictions. Most I wrote as part of the fan fiction comps back on TRF, so some of you who frequent that forum may have seen them before. Sadly the ongoing comp fell to a stop. I plan on writing more, using either themes from the comps that I didn't participate in or my own.....I am open to suggestions, if anyone has an idea they'd like to see tackled.

I'll post one at a time to try and keep the reading down as I know it is hard to read online great lengths of text. I have also kept the paragraphs separate to make it easier to read. I'm going to post them in the order I wrote them.

I hope this will generate some interest and I hope you enjoy them .

The first is below. It was my first TR fan fic and written in 2009:

Tomb Raider: Deathly Waters

Lara flung herself from the vine, her body moving fluidly through the air. She landed precariously onto the platform she’d been aiming for, wobbling slightly yet correcting her balance with athletic skill. She took a moment to assess the area. To her left, a rock face loomed above everything else. To her right nothing but cloud and below a steep drop into white rapids, the current too strong for anyone to swim in. Lara knew that piranhas inhabited the waters here, though she couldn’t see them form this far up. In the distance ahead was her destination: a platform leading to a dark ominous cave entrance. There were no more platforms like the one she was standing. Her only way of reaching the other side was the cliff front. But how?

Lara cupped her hand over her eyes so as to keep the glare of the sun out. Barely discernible beneath the moss was a crack in the wall. It led, Lara could just make out, most of the way to the other end but fell short. From there a smaller crack, a good ten feet below the other led to the edge of the platform ahead. She would need to free climb the rest of the way up.

“Here goes nothing,” she thought. She launched herself through the air once more in the direction of the first crack. Her gloved hands found the mark, small stones moving beneath her fingertips. Steadying her grip, Lara took a deep breath. Her arms were aching but she was certain she could make it across. Determination etched across her well-defined features, she edged slowly right along the narrow gap, keeping her toes against the wall to keep her safe. Reaching the end of one crack, she surveyed the distance below her once more.

Once, a long time ago, her climbing instructor had informed her never to look down. Lara had scoffed at the idea believing it was always best to know what you were facing. “Know your enemy” was her philosophy. Of course, that did not mean running in blind. Lara was astute enough to be prepared for any outcome. Any boy scout could learn a thing or two from this lady.

Hanging hundreds of feet from a drop into freezing water and the prospect of death by flesh eating fish, a small twinge of uncertainty crept through Lara. Shaking the thought away, she focused instead on the crack below. It was several feet to her right. She would need to make a daring leap at an angle to reach it. There was nothing for it but to trust her instincts. She lunged forward and right, flying through the air like a graceful eagle. Fingertips of her left hand grazed rock; she reached up with her right hand, scraping her arm with the movement. Her body arched with the effort to reach out. Her fingers slipped, her feet dangled helplessly as she desperately clung to the crumbling rock beneath her touch.

She was plunging down and down. Her body hit the water hard. Lara was completely submerged by fierce waves that stung like knives against her skin. She forced movement from her unresponsive limbs, felt excruciating pain in her side. The piranhas had sensed her presence, had smelled the blood oozing from her grazed arm. All went black.

Lara was standing at the foot of a steep platform overlooking a deep ravine, white rapids below, a cliff face to her left. Above her, vines hung from the overhang of the cliff mouth from which she’d just emerged. “Bloody Hell.” She put her hands up to her face, brought them over her head and around the back of her neck, smoothing over tense muscles. She did so wish she couldn’t remember her deaths. “Once more with feeling then.”

Lara spanned the scene briefly before starting on the dangerous task. Taking a few steps back to give herself a run up, she launched herself at a vine directly in front. Grabbing hold, she turned her body to the left a little before pushing forward with her slim legs. Reaching momentum she jumped at the pillar, landing firmly this time.

Several long minutes later she was, once again, dangling against the rock face, a tight grip on the first crack. “No point hanging around.”

Fingers felt rock, toes through sturdy boots found the wall and she was ready for the final climb. She heaved herself up the cliff, up and over the ledge. She’d made it. Her heart pumped so hard against her chest, she was sure it would burst through. “Well, that was rather fun.” Her top lip curved up a little, her chocolate coloured eyes twinkled in the sun.

The cavern entrance lay ahead like a massive mouth ready to swallow her whole. She almost skipped towards it, her prize closer than ever. Mid step, her body froze. Unable to move an inch, Lara groaned. “What! Not now you idiot, it’s just getting interesting!” It was no use of course. The player behind the screen was blissfully unaware of any thought from Lara. All went black.

Writing style seems good, surprising plot. Thumbs up I say...

Thanks for the thumbs up, Jurre. I appreciate it .

haha awesome thinking, I've never seen anyone write from this pov. Great read.

Thank you, pirate

Sorry for the double post, but no one else has commented. Guess there's either a lack of interest or with the forum being so quiet, people just aren't posting. Or peeps are just too lazy to read ! Anyhoo, thought I'd try again with another story. Again, this was written in 2009.

Golden Curiosities:

Royal United Museum of Archaeological Discoveries: 2096.

It has been said that if you listen very carefully, block out all other sounds you can hear her final scream, the inscription said on the plaque garnishing the golden statue of Lara Croft. Beside the statue a glass case held other memorabilia: A backpack, tatty with age; duel pistols; a torch and, quite odd this, a silver key with the etching SFF on the back. In front of the statue, a journal, bound in leather stood on a mahogany plinth for visitors to read at their leisure.

A group of about twenty students were now gathered around the statue as their professor was telling them about the adventurer and her exploits. He took up the journal in his hands and held it ready.

“Imagine if you will, a strong willed young woman with a desire so great that she would go to many lengths to acquire that which she wished to posses. A woman of much strength both physically and in character; a woman of great agility, determination and a natural instinct for survival...”

Lara’s Journals, Palace Midas: 1996

The watery tunnel led to a pool beautifully decorated with dolphins. I hauled myself over the edge. The water had invigorated me. St Francis Folly had been gruesome and the events at the Coliseum hadn’t exactly been a walk in the park. Now I was ready for whatever this unfamiliar place could throw at me. Pistols at the ready, I ventured toward the north opening that led off this room (one of three). A crocodile was slithering toward me, hissing menacingly. It was lost and hungry no doubt, but I was not about to become lunch. As agile and fast Crocs are in water, they are slow and cumbersome on land. It took just a few shots to put him out of his misery.

As to be expected, the doors in this place would require much thought to open. I soon worked out what the symbols above them meant and I continued on. Climbing to the lever platform was easy, and I soon had each door open in turn, starting from left to right.

Each room had its own unique obstacle to overcome. The first had fire spurting pillars and three gigantic rats. I quickly worked out a method to jump the pillars timed perfectly to avoid being fried, grabbed the lead bar and swam back to the beginning. The second room was filled with marble and a solitary pillar. The opening above was where I was headed. Curiously, pulling a block in the wall caused an avalanche of marble that in turn created a fun slide and jump course that helped me gain access to the top of the room. More climbing, saw me follow the upper level of the entire place, eventually leading to the rooftop of a quaint little building. Brilliant! Another room had nasty looking spikes and yet more pillars; the only way in which to reach a room above where the last lead bar was guarded by an angry gorilla. Must tread carefully then, but not at all taxing.

Once again, I marvel at the lengths the architects of ancient Greece went to in order to protect their treasures. The odd thing was there didn’t appear to be much treasure worth protecting here. The elaborate balcony and the picturesque gardens were masterpieces in design, but why on earth would the Greeks be so concerned over lead bars?

Taking a quick detour through the gardens, I found the most intriguing sight so far: A huge marble statue of King Midas. And there it was, his hand lying there innocently on the floor. A slot in the side had a suggestion of being deliberate. Aha! Now I knew what I needed to do with those bars.

I returned to the main hall and set about opening the final door. I entered cautiously, finishing off the lions that charged at me. In encountering these creatures I can’t help but wonder how they got into a long-time abandoned palace. No matter, they won’t be leaving.

In searching the balcony I saw nothing to help me. Back to the steps and down into a room where I could place each newly made gold bar into its slot. The exit door opened and I was free to continue my search for the second Scion piece.

Lara’s Journals, A return to Palace Midas: 2020.

I’m tired. I’ve been around the world more times than I can count, visited just about every tomb, temple and deserted island thinkable. I’ve had experiences that most couldn’t even imagine. I could of course live a nice quiet life in the manor, but Winston, bless his soul, died ten years ago. There is nothing left for me; I would die of boredom back in England.

My journey has been easier this time. The traps set many millennia ago were disarmed by me all those years ago, the animals killed, regrettably, but it had been them or me. Now here I am back at King Midas’s marble hand. How ingenious the ancient Greeks were. Nothing left to do but...

Palace Midas, 2020

...Lara stepped onto the cold marble hand. Shock registered as pain shot through her body as it slowly turned to pure gold. A final scream before determination not to let the pain overwhelm her took over. Lara stood tall and proud. A self made statue; a lost treasure waiting to be found. Her trademark backpack and her trusty duel pistols lay neatly on the ground.

Royal United Museum of Archaeological Discoveries: 2096

"We can only speculate using the journal as a guide, but..."

“Professor, I’m sorry but are you mad? What you’re suggesting is preposterous!”

“Oh, not suggesting, my dear young scholar, merely stating fact. This is no man-made statue - this really is Lara Croft. As she was found just five years ago by a rather clever archaeologist by the name of Marcus Von Croy. Me".

Hope you enjoy!

Surprising ending. Black humour it is...

Why would you do that to Lara? :'(

But seriously, I like your tricky plots. Please do continue writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    Surprising ending. Black humour it is...
    Thank you once again, Jurre

Quote Originally Posted by pirate1802 View Post
    Why would you do that to Lara? :'(

But seriously, I like your tricky plots. Please do continue writing.
    I didn't. Lara did it to herself.

Thank you! I have more to post. I just need someone to post after me so I don't get into a habit of double posting.

I wish i could come up with great storyes like your's!

Aww, thank you El Diablo. .

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Aww, thank you El Diablo. .
    You're welcome!

So, my readers....all three of you (), how often should I post a new story? I'd like your input as I don't wish to post so often that you get bored of reading, nor not enough so you get bored waiting for the next one.

Your amount of writing should be equal to how much you enjoy doing it - after all that's the only thing that counts...

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    Your amount of writing should be equal to how much you enjoy doing it - after all that's the only thing that counts...
    Well that's nice and all, but I was asking as I already have a few stories ready, just with a few alterations if required. But I don't wish to post, say once a week, if there's a risk of people getting bored or not bothering to read as there's too much reading or too many stories to catch up on (If someone new finds the threads). It's hard enough getting readers as it is. I want peeps to enjoy my stories, I don't want to end up posting story after story if no one's gonna read them. I've enjoyed writing them and will write more, but I want to enjoy sharing them and for others to enjoy them too if possible. So my question still stands.

Once a week then...

It wil be interesting to see if your plots can keep surprising

I agree with Jurre,once a weak is perfect.

Yeah, once a week. Seems like your three readers have reached a consensus..

But, if you already have stories ready like you said, I wouldn't mind one every 3-4 too.

You have your fourth reader here , Rai .

Really like reading your stories . The palace Midas story reminded me of the good times I had as a kid playing through TR1 the first time .

y u no post more?

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    You have your fourth reader here , Rai .

Really like reading your stories . The palace Midas story reminded me of the good times I had as a kid playing through TR1 the first time .
    Yay another reader!

I chose to use that level as it's one of my favourites from that game...and all the games actually.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate1802 View Post
    y u no post more?
    'cus I'm a lazy so n so ? I honestly didn't mean to leave it this long. I'll see what I can post later on .

Palace Midas is a level that really doesn't get old . Can you write something about the Hall of Seasons ? That was a visually striking and complex level too ....

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Palace Midas is a level that really doesn't get old . Can you write something about the Hall of Seasons ? That was a visually striking and complex level too ....
    Hall of Seasons, that's AoD, right? I'd have to replay it, but if I get inspired, I'll see what I can do. I'm looking for ideas for new stories.

So next up (finally ) is a story that's a little different. Lara is caught in an unusual situation, though there is a connection to the games some might appreciate .

Ye Olde Tomb Raider

Without warning Lara’s world began to dissolve around her. It had started the precise moment a last surge of electricity had hit the platform just as she had touched the Eye of Isis artefact. Lara had attempted to jump back but hadn’t been fast enough.

She was falling faster and faster into nothingness. Had she died? Had her body fried and exploded into nothing just as she had seen happen to Sophia-Leigh just moments before and this was actually her soul rushing to the after-life?

This wasn’t the time to find out. Apparently. The ground, solid and oh so real was moving up to meet her at a speed a 747 jet would be jealous of. Lara closed her eyes and covered her ears in anticipation for the bone-crunching impact she was sure was coming.

It didn’t. Miraculously, her rapid descent slowed and instead, Lara landed with a thud yet she found herself alive and no worse off than with a mouthful of dirt and a few scratches on her hands and knees. She raised herself off the ground slowly, trying to regain some balance. Falling into eternity really took it out of a girl.

She was brushing dirt off her clothes when something soft hit the back of her head and slid down her back to the floor in a squishy mess. Lara turned to see who had thrown it, her hands hovering near her holsters, when a shrill voice pierced the air.

“Witch!! She’s a witch...get her!”

Lara saw the old peasant woman pointing, heard the wooden doors of the few houses that lined the alley where she’d landed creak open. Hurried footsteps of the curious came closer.

“Witch! Witch. Saw it with me own eyes, I did!”

Lara hastily looked about her. She would be surrounded if she didn’t move. She had no choice but to run. She fled right toward the alley exit, pushing a man out of the way as she turned into what she could only imagine was the main street. Even in her haste she could tell she was no longer in London. Or at least not the London she knew. Gone were the skyscraper office buildings and the busy traffic and lights, instead she was running along a dirt road lined with thatched houses. She was forced to do a diving roll to the left to avoid a galloping horse. Where she was headed she didn’t know. She just knew she had to get away from the mob who were now chasing with outcries of ‘Witch’ still echoing in her ears.

Suddenly strong arms encircled her waist with such force she was lifted off her feet. She struggled with all her might, kicking and scratching at her captor. “Let me go!” she yelled.

“Keep still and no harm will come to you, wretch.” The man took a length of rope and tied her wrists together. “Better take these possessions too...just to be on the safe side." He took her pistols from their holders, and unstrapped her backpack from her shoulders and the artefact from her hands. That done she was flung onto the back of the horse she’d only just avoided.

She was taken to what she presumed was the town square, the people following en masse. Once there her captor forced her off the horse and dropped her unceremoniously to her knees. A brave boy threw a rotten tomato at her which hit her squarely on the forehead. ‘Good aim’ Lara couldn’t help thinking.

“What’s your plea, miss?”

Lara sighed. She was being humiliated and she could do nothing about it. “Plea?” Lara said. “I plea nothing. Clearly there has been some mistake.”

“There’s no mistake!” yelled a woman.

“Look at her parading around in her underwear!” Came another voice from the crowd. “It’s disgraceful!”

“BURN HER!” shouted another and soon the whole crowd were chanting in unison.

“Now now, let’s not be hasty,” said the man on the horse who, in his chainmail, must be a soldier, Lara decided “We’ll decide in the morning after her trial. Lock her up in the dungeon.” He commanded a young man who had appeared by his side.

Lara spent the night in a dusty dark dungeon with only the town’s rats for company. It stank of sewage and all she had to lay on was the straw strewn on the floor. Whilst her sleeping conditions did not bother her: she’d slept in worse after all, she was angered at her own stupidity at allowing herself to be in this predicament. When a bowl of porridge was pushed through a flap in the heavy door, she took it grudgingly and ate. When she found a way of escaping from this dump, she’d need her strength. As tiredness finally took a hold of her, the irony of her situation took a hold of her. “I don’t think this was what Sophia Leigh had in mind when she was concocting a formula to reverse time.” Was her last thought before falling asleep.

At dawn Lara woke to the rumble of thunder and heavy rain. Outside she could hear the crowd which had once again assembled. The chant of “Witch” had resumed. “Oh joy, I’m the star attraction” she said to a rat which was lazily gnawing at a piece of stale bread in the corner. A soldier marched her out and she was taken back to the square.

Tied to a stake surrounded by firewood, Lara felt completely defenseless and utterly exposed. The man from the horse approached. “I thought I was due a trial” Lara reminded him.

“Do you have anything to say in your defense?”

“Ask her to explain how she appeared from thin air!” shouted one bystander.

“Your personal possessions were inspected miss and I must say they’re very strange they are. Can you explain for instance what this is?” Her accuser showed her the artefact.

Lara, not one for many words was at a loss as to best answer especially considering she didn’t understand how she’d ended up here. How would these people believe her?”

She decided to play innocent, smiling sweetly at her questioner. “I didn’t just ‘appear’ out of nowhere, I fell...”

“That’s a lie! I saw it with me own eyes and I will swear it ‘till the end of me days!” the peasant from the day before interrupted.

Ignoring the outcry, Lara continued “And that is a family heirloom.” Thunder clapped threateningly as she spoke, which was quickly followed by a bolt of lightning that crossed the sky and hit a nearby tree. Eyeing the green artefact, Lara smiled as a thought struck her. “If I am to be burnt at this stake, I have a request.”

“Name it.”

“The object you hold is very dear to me. I wish to have it with me before I die.”

“Granted. I know not what this item of yours is, but as you are so fond you may have it. Cut her hands free.”

“It’s a trap, a trap I tell you!” These peasants really were beginning to get on her nerves.

Lara’s hands were freed and the gentleman handed her the artefact. As if the universe was answering her silent prayer, thunder roared once more. Lara held the artefact high and just as she hoped the artefact was struck by the fork of lightning.

A blinding light surrounded Lara as she was hurled from the stake, her ties loosened. Lara was falling once more into blackness.

Upon landing, Lara found herself face down on concrete. Concrete! Blessed familiar concrete! She rose and looked around her. She recognised the alley with the large crates as the one she had previously visited the day before. Or was it today? The whir of helicopter blades could be heard in the distance.

“Oi!” a voice sounded from the darkness. As one of Sophia’s men approached, his laser beam hit her foot. Lara reacted instantly, reaching for pistols she no longer possessed. Lara cursed under her breath and hurled herself up and over the nearby fence and ran as fast as she could, the artefact in one hand.

Nice work . I liked the title too

Correct me if I am wrong , but wasn't Sophia doing experiments to reverse or freeze the aging process ?

I would have liked the artifact to mess up Lara's looks such that she ended up looking like those thugs who help her out . . Then she would have had a hard time entering her own home as Winston and the security would have thought of her as a common thug and shooed her away

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast