Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: Where'd you go?

Where'd you go?

Where'd you go?

I finished the DE: The Fall. I'm moving back to DE:HR. Has anyone played this with the Director's Commentary On?
    Also, how does it work? Does it play automatically or do you have to activate it in the game like Pheromones.

It works via invisible triggers, you get a sound notification and an icon saying "press [] to play commentary" appears when close to one.

You press the button and it starts, but you can't stop, rewing, fastforward or pause it...

Also, during the cut scenes and start of the boss fights, it goes off automatically. Just be warned that it can get quite annoying cause you can't stop it when it comes on until it is finished by itself, and the volume is much louder than the sound of the gameplay. The commentary often talks over other dialogues of the game character as well..

How long is the Fall game play?

I tried listening to the commentary in-game but standing around for minutes at a time was tedious and broke the pacing of play completely. Just watch it on YT instead.

Originally Posted by Franubis
    It works via invisible triggers, you get a sound notification and an icon saying "press [] to play commentary" appears when close to one.

You press the button and it starts, but you can't stop, rewing, fastforward or pause it...
    Thanks. Franubis, Do you know how many of these are in the game?

Originally Posted by Karpaw
    I tried listening to the commentary in-game but standing around for minutes at a time was tedious and broke the pacing of play completely. Just watch it on YT instead.
    Thanks Karpaw. This link shows the duration of each commentary...useful...very useful. 7 hours of commentary, WOW!! I'm going to go listen to one of these now...

Originally Posted by hybridex
    Also, during the cut scenes and start of the boss fights, it goes off automatically. Just be warned that it can get quite annoying cause you can't stop it when it comes on until it is finished by itself, and the volume is much louder than the sound of the gameplay. The commentary often talks over other dialogues of the game character as well..

How long is the Fall game play?
    Hybridex,

Deus Ex: The Fall has about 4-5 hours of play. When I play games the first time I try to be thorough so not to miss anything. This game can easily be play 1 hour at time. I break the game into 7 sections:

Read Deus Ex: Icarus Effect First!
    1. The Kill Kontarsky/Investigate the Tyrants
    2. The Train Station/Boardwalk
    3. The Slums
    4. Downtown
    5. Hotel Etana
    6. XNG Data Center/Bell Tower
    7. Conclusion

Just make sure you do the side missions one at a time to completion or you'll lose them. I just say this to say again. This game is not DE:HR don't come to the game with those assumptions.

Karpaw,

I watched the first one. This is pretty good. I liked the comments about Half-Life.
    I would not have wanted to watch these during game play...

This stuff is solid gold...

I couldn't resist and watched the second one. I'm going to try to limit/do 1 video a day. Listening to the choices the devs/producers had to make to deliver this game on is something. This is fun :-)

On the boards, I've read about how bad the maps designs were in this game. I never really understood this argument. Today I watched Episode 3 & 4 and I'm impressed with straight talk about the challenges they had with the game design.

I'm glad they didn't implement the Nigerian Email Scam Achievement though...

What is Jonathan's fixation with Nigeria(ORON). Also, if you guys need a tester that can actually find the weapons dealer locations...call me :-)

Originally Posted by ResidentX
    On the boards, I've read about how bad the maps designs were in this game. I never really understood this argument. Today I watched Episode 3 & 4 and I'm impressed with straight talk about the challenges they had with the game design.
    They are good in that they are somewhat open, art direction is pretty, and features somewhat believable architecture, layouts and such overall. They are bad in that they are not open enough, the art direction is unsuitable for a Deus Ex game, and the sim design isn't strong enough. Lastly, and arguably most importantly, from a gameplay aspect they are not exceptional overall (but still acceptable overall, yet could be much better). The careless placements and copy paste overuse of the vents is a prime example of the "bad" in Human Revolution's level design.

Originally Posted by CyberP
    They are good in that they are somewhat open, art direction is pretty, and features somewhat believable architecture, layouts and such overall. They are bad in that they are not open enough, the art direction is unsuitable for a Deus Ex game, and the sim design isn't strong enough. Lastly, and arguably most importantly, from a gameplay aspect they are not exceptional overall (but still acceptable overall, yet could be much better). The careless placements and copy paste overuse of the vents is a prime example of the "bad" in Human Revolution's level design.
    CyberP, you need to watch Episode 5 in the commentary list above (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2mh6zO8xY0niz9). They talked about how during testing the maps were so open that players/testers weren't finding doorways and other things. Also, they had a nice long discussion about believable architecture and art direction.

CyberP, you need to watch Episode 5 in the commentary list above (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2mh6zO8xY0niz9).
    Yes, as a constant critic of their game I do owe it to them to hear their all of their side of the story. Will keep the commentary in mind as I have been intending to watch/listen to the lot.

They talked about how during testing the maps were so open that players/testers weren't finding doorways and other things.
    So make the readable map better and add more street signs...there wasn't any in Detroit if I remember correctly. This should be enough without making silly compromises (if there were any in regards to level design, probably was), in addition to the optional objective markers already present (a silly but understandable and non-conflicting compromise. Not too taxing to implement and is optional. Make forced to false on GMDX mode for DX4 pls).

Focus groups...with any old Joe picked up off the sidewalk I assume. If you make your games to appeal to a very broad audience then you are compromising a good design vision, if there is one to begin with. Of course there is big money involved so it's somewhat understandable, but business conflicting with art and ultimately taking precedence has gone on for too long now, and it's not strictly necessary to cheapen your work; see Dark Souls and some other gems.

Your too much, CyberP. No game is perfect.

Of course no game is perfect, but if you take on an IP of the Looking Glass lineage you have really big boots to fill. You wouldn't understand.

I think I understand but I think your being unfair...it's easy to look back and say you should have done this or that. Time is finite.

I think I understand but I think your being unfair...it's easy to look back and say you should have done this or that. Time is finite.
    Hindsight is 20/20, that's true, but he does have a point. The previous game was readily available for comparative study, and when you're making a sequel (or prequel, or whatever) to what is commonly considered one of the greatest games ever made, it's only logical that you would try to emulate that game as much as possible, while still bringing the technology forward into the present.

There was much that was done well with Human Revolution (it was a far sight better than Invisible War), but there was so much that they could have done better.

Originally Posted by Jito463
    The previous game was readily available for comparative study, and when you're making a sequel (or prequel, or whatever) to what is commonly considered one of the greatest games ever made, it's only logical that you would try to emulate that game as much as possible, while still bringing the technology forward into the present.
    I got a warning today so I need to pay closer attention to how I say things. Deus Ex I played and I never felt the magic many of you speak of. I got it free with the purchase of DE: The FALL...maybe I should play it again? DE:HR I felt copied some of the greatest features(interface) and during the director's commentary I've learned more about how they tried to it justice with the updated version but I don't think it should have been the sole definition of where DE:HR should go/went. It's like trying to apply the limits of a Intel 486 chip to the 4th Generation Intel Core. You can try to compare it but their like apples to oranges. Technology changes so fast that we can almost present a new experience to the user. We could probably argue this point all day...

I think DE: HR did the best with the time and resources they had. Who wants something perfect?

I got a warning today so I need to pay closer attention to how I say things.
    Its not how you say things... but what things you say.
    Breaking news: Name-calling starts riots.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I'm not mad. I just need to pay a little more attention. All people that are growing getting advice from time to time :-)

Absolutely agree; we're all learning all the time.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I think DE: HR did the best with the time and resources they had.
    They did their best at making a pseudo-Deus Ex game, yeah. They didn't do their best at making a Deus Ex game, which is the point. Nobody's asking for perfection. The original Deus Ex wasn't perfect, but HR does little to fix the problems it had while at the same time adding a whole heap of new problems on top of it.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Originally Posted by Shralla
    They did their best at making a pseudo-Deus Ex game, yeah. They didn't do their best at making a Deus Ex game, which is the point. Nobody's asking for perfection. The original Deus Ex wasn't perfect, but HR does little to fix the problems it had while at the same time adding a whole heap of new problems on top of it.
    This like dealing with Republicans...

How is DE:HR not a Deus Ex game? Maybe I need to play the first one again. I must of missed some things.
    Also, can you be a little more specific with your comments. "did little to fix the problems...at the same time adding a whole heap of new problems."

I'm playing the first Deus Ex now. It's only 600MB, lol.

I'm playing the first Deus Ex now. It's only 600MB, lol.
    This time stick with it. You said you gave up pretty quick last time.

I must of missed some things.
    You missed a lot, as did the designers at Eidos Montreal.

I went through the training module tonight. I don't remember this game have a LAN/Internet game option and skills points upfront. Were these new features added to the GOTY edition? This looks so customizable.

This feels just like DE:HR or maybe it's the other way around :-) The lethal/non-lethal options...
    Do you want distance or do you want take them out up close? They even have the police on a lease waiting for me...

Can you reprogram the keys in this game?

I went through the training module tonight. I don't remember this game have a LAN/Internet game option and skills points upfront. Were these new features added to the GOTY edition? This looks so customizable.
    Skill system was unchanged by the GOTY edition, I believe. Not sure why though, it was rather unbalanced (but still good in it's intentions and impact on the gameplay).

Multiplayer was added in the GOTY. Likely tacked on for sales (after release, so it in no way conflicted with the original vision), just ignore it, the singleplayer experience is Deus Ex.

Can you reprogram the keys in this game?
    Yes. The first thing any player should always do in any game is explore the menus. Options, controls, setting up. Then in-game proper the inventory, skills etc. It is vital to do this no matter the platform, unless there are no menus or options of any sort, which is very rare.
    This written appropriately should be a one-time appearance loading screen hint in DX4 at the start of the game, if the hints are to return.

I was in a hurry last night when we started talking. I did the training mish which took about an hour. They key settings caused some problems with the stealth part. The guards would see me no matter where I was and they just kept on hitting the alarm button. Then, I played about half's worth of the first mish and quit for the night. I'll be playing this game over time...

Right now I need to get back to the my routine of 1 commentary a day...I'm almost to the missing link ones. I have to hear the story on why we got such a weak boss in Burke.

It's like trying to apply the limits of a Intel 486 chip to the 4th Generation Intel Core. You can try to compare it but their like apples to oranges. Technology changes so fast that we can almost present a new experience to the user.
    I'm not referring to the technological aspect, I'm referring to the core design elements. These things are universal, regardless of the technology. Dishonored did a great job of displaying some of those core elements, by giving control to the player(letting us decide our own path through the missions), rather than try to force the player down the developer-proscribed path. It's ironic how Dishonored was closer to being a Thief sequel than Thief was...but we're discussing Deus Ex, so I'll let that matter rest.

Deus Ex was far from a perfect game, but it was still a masterpiece of a game, because of the core design it was built around; namely, giving control to the player to decide how best to approach a situation, as well as large, open levels in which to play around. HR tried very hard to duplicate that, but they still fell into the trap of linear pathing, and "contextual" controls.

If they could step back, and take a new look at ways to empower the player to actually, you know, *PLAY* the game, instead of trying to control where we can go, then DX4 could very well be the "Deus Ex killer" (so to speak).

Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic about it, and I'm not holding my breath for it. However, if it were to happen, I would be extremely happy. I might even squeal like a little school girl....in private anyway.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last