Thread: How do I do a Combat Takedown while remaining undetected?

How do I do a Combat Takedown while remaining undetected?

How do I do a Combat Takedown while remaining undetected?

OK...combat takedown...please explain to this thief how to do this. I've already ghosted the entire game and now I'm in my second play through in Chapter 2 Dust to Dust which requires 10 Combat Takedowns. I've taken out the guard on the bridge by getting behind him and pressing Q. How can I get a "Combat Takedown" for that guard? Or any guard for that matter? How can I get into combat with him if I'm supposed to Remain undetected?

Just to be clear...I've never performed a Combat Takedown, so can anyone tell me if I can accomplish that while remaining undetected? Can anyone tell me how to perform a Combat Takedown at all?

You can't. They're opposing objectives. Either remain undetected, or get 10 combat takedowns. Either/or, not both.

Originally Posted by Jito463
    You can't. They're opposing objectives. Either remain undetected, or get 10 combat takedowns. Either/or, not both.
    OK...but how does garret perform a combat takedown? Is it some kind of keystroke sequence like Dodge+Takedown or Dodge+Melee+Takedown or something console derived like that? I've already tried Takedown and Dodge+Takedown and I just get killed. Do I have to find a way to run around behind him? When I've played Garret for the past 20 years I've only rarely entered into combat and mostly only when I can get in an overhead at the start to make my opponent weak enough for me to succeed. But, this new Garret doesn't even have a sword...an attack is hopeless or in my opinion should be...he's a thief not a warrior.

If I have to give up the detection to get the combat takedowns then so be it...I just would like to know how. I've already shot three guards in the head with arrows and thrown a bottle at another guard's head in Chapter 1: Lockdown. As long as the guard who detects me can't tell anyone what he saw then Garret will still be safe.

In a combat takedown, you have to weaken the guard enough that he doesn't fight back and then you can do the takedown. 'Q' key for PC. An arrow in the leg or torso is usually enough, then move in for the takedown before he recovers.

Originally Posted by HotSaab
    In a combat takedown, you have to weaken the guard enough that he doesn't fight back and then you can do the takedown. 'Q' key for PC. An arrow in the leg or torso is usually enough, then move in for the takedown before he recovers.
    Ah...thanks. It would have been nice to the game to be clear on how to perform this. The user guide only has the following:

Takedown - Hold Q to hold onto guard, Tab Q to perform takedown and drop guard
    Not only is it incomplete (not providing the details on Combat Takedown), but it's also got the word Tap misspelled. Quality control is lacking on the English language User Guide.

Opposing objectives ... nope, not true. It is indeed not the easiest of things, but its possible to perform combat takedown remaining undetected. The suggested procedure, that is weakening an enemy with an arrow to the torso or legs, then performing the auto-takedown while the enemy is on his knees, is the best. Isolated enemies would be the ideal targets for undetected combat takedowns, also aiming the enemy's back with the arrow, then sneaking behind him to take him down is the right way to remai unseen.