Thread: Afterwords: Stephane Roy Sheds More Light on Thief

Afterwords: Stephane Roy Sheds More Light on Thief

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    How do I know what I like; you mean? Trust me, I do.

That wasn't what I was asking. I'm not saying you don't know whether you like the original Garrett...we all do. The question is rather how do you know you wouldn't have liked a new character equally as much as Garrett?

In reality this is a new character, and you say you like him...he just happens to be named Garrett. Whether or not there is a blood relation, it's still not the original Garrett.

So if he had a different name, like Palmer, and his friend were named 'Boxo' instead of Basso and the relationship was the same and Palmer was still some type of descendent of Garrett, what would have been the difference? That's pretty much what we got, just with the same names as their ancestors.

Even if they didn't include any blood relation to the original Garrett, if you like the character as he is currently presented then it stands to reason you would still like him if he had a different name...like Palmer.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    The question is rather how do you know you wouldn't have liked a new character equally as much as Garrett?
    I understood the question.... more than most I expect; after all, I've played enough fan missions where the protagonist is not Garrett or voiced by SR.

I'm still saying that for THIEF, the official game, I prefer to see Garrett ALWAYS as the lead character.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I believe they're very proud of their work on the game; so it isn't a question of dignity or admitting to anything.
    I like the game more than Deadly Shadows... so do others.
    I read full explanation. That's why I called it a BS. Richness of art and audio? There are plenty of games which has much better art and audio, and they don't have their levels/gameplay cut into tiny pieces. So it's not mutually exclusive to make a nice looking and hearing game, with huge worlds/levels. It might be not easy (I guess, I'm not a programmer), but it probably requires competent people to achieve... Very rich, immersive environment? Again where? We must have been playing different games. And how is that mutually exclusive with big levels that you can play in a way you want?

They might be proud of their game, that's their right. But question about dignity is still valid. Someone creates something, and try to sell it, and reception of his work is mediocre. Yet you ignore all the criticism and keep saying "oh this game is so rich, and immersive, and blah blah blah". He can do that. But it doesn't make him look serious. Unless he is at least trying to respond to criticism, but instead they seems to be still claiming that everything is ok and are encouraging people to buy their game just to try whether they will like it. That's not fair, and not really cool.

I like TDS more... so do others

Originally Posted by Victoria
    Its not true that they are advertising the game; they are taking part in an interview and answering questions.
    One is not mutually exclusive with other. What I see in this interview is advertising of game "this game isn't as bad as some people are saying, it's really good" or back from right after Thief was released "game isn't perfect... it's still extremely fun!" or "reviews are mixed, you should try youself!"

Originally Posted by Victoria
    I hope they do.
    I somehow expected that Yet that's your right to hope for a sequel. If you enjoyed new Thief - that's good for you! (seriously, no sarcasm/irony intended)

I'm still saying that for THIEF, the official game, I prefer to see Garrett ALWAYS as the lead character.
    In the case of Thief 2014 'a' Garrett.

Originally Posted by Furman
    ...and reception of his work is mediocre...
    To you and some others perhaps the game is mediocre... but myself and others have not described it as so. Certainly, I will play it again. I never wanted to play Deadly Shadows a second time.
    Neither games are mediocre to me... they have imperfections, yes, but that's a different discussion.

I somehow expected that
    *snip*
    Yet that's your right to hope for a sequel. If you enjoyed new Thief - that's good for you! (seriously, no sarcasm/irony intended)
    No sarcasm/irony taken... and, yes, I enjoyed playing the game; it was a lot of fun when it flowed; and I would like to see a sequel. A better one, of course.
    Do I consider THIEF a masterpiece? No, I don't. Its all there in my review. Go read because the rest of what you say is just preaching to the choir.
    signature image

I certainly don't think it's mediocre. That implies a kind of grey blandness over the proceedings. I'd describe it as a 'curate's egg', a phrase from the Victorian magazine Punch:

Bishop: "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones";
    Curate: "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!"

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curate%27s_egg

For my part I can see why Roy is evasive about Stephen Russell, because I figure that to explain properly would reveal something about the nature of Garrett in this game.

As for Rope Arrows and Loading Screens, these are unfortunate and offputting, but the kind of thing that arises from Development Hell.

I'd still like to know why we can't jump properly, and the rationale behind that decision: that's what killed Thief for me.

The excellent parts however included the art direction. The game looks beautiful.

Originally Posted by dogsolitude_uk
    I certainly don't think it's mediocre. That implies a kind of grey blandness over the proceedings. I'd describe it as a 'curate's egg', a phrase from the Victorian magazine Punch:

Bishop: "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones";
    Curate: "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!"
    Very fitting, good Sir.
    signature image

Its all there in my review. Go read because the rest of what you say is just preaching to the choir.
    Seeing I just got back from a "Sponsored Vacation", and am a bit out of the loop, I'm wondering if you could direct me to where the MOD'S and ADMIN'S reviews of Thief are located.

It would be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
    Seeing I just got back from a "Sponsored Vacation", and am a bit out of the loop, I'm wondering if you could direct me to where the MOD'S and ADMIN'S reviews of Thief are located.

It would be much appreciated.
    In the "fan review" thread.

I'm wondering if you could direct me to where the MOD'S and ADMIN'S reviews of Thief are located.

My review is located in the same place as every other INDIVIDUAL'S review.
    signature image

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    In the "fan review" thread.
    Your specificity is much appreciated.

Your specificity is much appreciated.
    I thought you were familiar with it. There's only one "Fan/player review..." thread out there. As far as I remember you even posted in there, also it is still on top of the first page.

I told people before, now Stephane has proven it himself. He has no understanding or care for the Thief franchise. Just typical PR speak.

I feel stupid for believing through the years that they would get it right in the end. What a sucker to part with hard earned money. You live and learn and all that.

Regarding Stephen Russell, we already knew we were fed crap. Their initial reasoning was just embarrassingly stupid.
    His remarks on the rope arrows, sound and level size. Thank you Stephane for confirming what we thought. You clearly live in a different world to the rest of us.

Someone from EM should have the balls to just come out and say they got it wrong.

"However we did not make Thief 4"
    Damn right you didn't!
    Thankfully we can put this game to one side and hopefully in the future a dedicated development team will create a game worthy of the 'Thief' title.

Edited because it seems insults can only be taken, not given.

Originally Posted by NightStorm
    Edited because it seems insults can only be taken, not given.

Nobody has insulted you on this forum; if they did, they would receive an infraction arrow right in the butt. Ouch!
    And its fine to be negative. Adding unnecessary insult violates the ToU and will always be counter-productive to the actual point(s} you are trying to get across.
    signature image

Adding unnecessary insult violates the ToU and will always be counter-productive to the actual point(s} you are trying to get across.
    This is why i only add necessary insults.

Originally Posted by NIB
    This is why i only add necessary insults.

I chuckled.

But I've still got that infraction arrow at the ready.
    signature image

And its fine to be negative.
    Seriously? Are Ya just kiddin' me? I prefer to dwell on the negatives, just to provide a counter-point and keep things interesting and I've [SELF MODERATED DUE TO MULTIPLE TOU VIOLATIONS] and that's all I have to say about that.

Seriously? Are Ya just kiddin' me?
    No kiddin'. Its fine to be negative.... or positive about the game. Whatever rocks your primal.

and I've SELF MODERATED...
    Good for you.
    signature image

For sure. I was very disappointed with the lack of rope arrows in TDS. They are my favourite tool.
    I am at least partly glad we have them back in Thief; even if they are contextual.
    But rope arrows aren't really back. If they were your "favorite tool" as you say, then surely you understand that the very nature of the rope arrow within Dark Project was to help drive the masterful *free form exploration* Looking Glass imagined when designing the game. NuRope is an absolute joke in every possible way when compared to the original game. But I am glad that you are partly satisfied with being spoon fed a laughably inconsequential implementation of a classic tool presented in the context of a story driven on rails absolutely no freedom game.

Your credibility as a hardcore original fan is on hold.

Originally Posted by Old Gold
    But rope arrows aren't really back.... *snip*
    I never, ever said they were.... so you could have saved yourself the need to preach to the choir.

It is?
    Too funny.
    signature image

I've read your review with pleasure, Viktoria. Agree with everything except of final score: I would give it a 7. 8-10 scores should be reserved for very good games, which Thief isn't. There are simply too many serious cons: endless transition zones(which ruining replay value to me), small linear levels, poor sound propagation, weak story, cutscenes, dialogues and characters...and all of them are significant.... But this 7 is only my suggestion, so anyway thanks for this chunk of good read, V;-)
    My english isn't perfect, sorry...

You're welcome.
    Btw... my personal score was actually 7.5.... not 8.
    I only mention having to score 8 in the forum poll because the options don't include half-point scores.
    Scoring 7 would be too low for me because I really did have a lot of fun playing... and I have a desire to play again. Scoring 8 I consider too high, for the same reasons you state.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Old Gold
    This is called "elitism". And it's annoying.

Originally Posted by knox140
    That kind of thing is called "elitism". And it's annoying.
    It actually violates the ToU as a personal attack... but statements like this always amuse me rather than annoy.
    However, if he had addressed that comment to anyone else.. "moderator mode" would have kicked in, his post would be edited or deleted and a PM sent.

Actually, what is more annoying is the copy-cat antics. Pffft. How about being original and choosing his own font colour.

I jest, of course.
    Its not "my" colour exclusively. But, hey, you catch my drift.... I'm in love with the lime green; its like its become part of my DNA here.
    signature image

Page 3 of 14 First First 123456713 ... Last