Thread: Guards and citizens comments

Guards and citizens comments

Guards and citizens comments

Hi all,

One of the comments that I here a lot is Wroques teeth or rokes teeth ( cant spell it) any one know what a wroque is and why is there an exclamation regarding there teeth?

Excellent game I do like the acient ruins been the remians of the keeper library and am I presuming theat Madam Xiao Xiao is really a man?

I have only just finished that level I noticed a shaving brush and pot near the bathroom..the podium puzzle was a pain as I had problems with the glyphs illuminating and lining up.

Originally Posted by Odin1918
    Hi all,
    am I presuming theat Madam Xiao Xiao is really a man?
    Am I dis-remembering a bearded lady appearing in the earlier games? I was completely unsurprised when seeing this!

rms

One of the comments that I here a lot is Wroques teeth or rokes teeth ( cant spell it) any one know what a wroque is and why is there an exclamation regarding there teeth?
    I believe the phrase is "Roc's Teeth" in reference to the mythological giant bird called a Roc. Prehistoric birds had teeth, so it's presumed that the phrase is used when someone sees something rare and unusual.

Originally Posted by rms
    Am I dis-remembering a bearded lady appearing in the earlier games? I was completely unsurprised when seeing this!

rms
    No bearded ladies in previous Thief titles...although in DS a ladies' shadow is bald...but that's something completely different and unintended.

Regarding Madam Xiao Xiao

bro xiao xiao is sexy stop insulting her did you like team up to troll her fans or something
    bro in eidos i trust

No insult intended just an observation..I would never defile persons who prefer to cross dress each to ones own.
    I don't recall seeing a razor only the brush and pot, I would think that a cut throat would be used as the safety razor would not have been invented then.

However thanks for the definition of Roc it was annoying me every time I heard it..

No insult intended just an observation..I would never defile persons who prefer to cross dress each to ones own.
    Respect.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by zwanzig_zwoelf
    bro xiao xiao is sexy stop insulting her did you like team up to troll her fans or something
    That's he, not she.

Putting on a dress doesn't make someone a girl.

The subtitles spell it Rork with a capital "R" which leads me to believe it's a mythological reference that made its way into the idiom of the city, though it is never specifically explained. Given that there is no consistency in dialect in this game, (some Standard American, some New England variations, some High British, some Cockney, even some more obscure dialects), it's tough to parse out by ear alone.

Not that the subtitles are entirely consistent with the spoken dialogue, either. There are a ton of inconsistencies there, including the cutscene where Garret is brought back into town on the cart. Right before the cart bearers bolt through the gate, the subtitles and spoken dialogue are completely different. I think this is the greatest evidence of major re-writes late in development.

Some of the accents are funny I noticed to my elder ears as I have limited hearing in my right and not much better in my left I put it down to high speed wind vibration damage from my motor bike years but the wife says I am an old deaf git.

One of the voices sounds like Bilbo Baggins and another like Legolass the Elf from lord of the rings but the mixture of the accents add to the uniqueness of the game.

I miss Barney the pissed guard he was funny with his drunken comments and the other voice it was more of a curt english accident that was in thief 3. One I remmeber about making some one boil his knickers.. brilliant!

I was dissapointed about not engaging the Golem like creature in the underground keeper library I was thinking it may be a caricature of one of the previous persons from th old games..

Xiao xiao is a man and to my terrible surprise
    Why? Why don't we have some lovable women in this game?

bro that is because of liberals and lgbt secret police
    bro in eidos i trust

Who is Yasabella?

Vittori's love interest.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

I miss Barney the pissed guard he was funny with his drunken comments and the other voice it was more of a curt english accident that was in thief 3. One I remmeber about making some one boil his knickers.. brilliant!
    I don't know if there actually was a Barney in Deadly Shadows, but usually the drunk guard's name would be Benny. He is somehow alluded to by Lenny in the Vittori side mission "Happy Medium".

Benny or Barney he was cool!

Not got to the Vittori bit yet but thanks for that!