Thread: The most important question about DX4.

The most important question about DX4.

The most important question about DX4.

Will there be reflective mirrors?

Originally Posted by N30N
    This is barely important at all. Very low priority. You have to fully animate your protagonist if you are having mirrors, animate every single action. whereas DX:HR did not have to except the pre-baked shakedowns and looping covo anims etc. It's not worth it.
    JC just looks like a tit in DX1 in mirrors and lacks animations for numerous actions (which I wouldn't have wanted the devs to waste resources on anyway), but I assume they already had him animated for other stuff (convos, multiplayer, ending scenes) so went ahead and animated more.

I like reflective mirrors in games. It gives you a chance to check out the protagonist without the need for swooping out to a third person perspective. It's not exactly a high priority thing though.

Mirrors are pretty important. There are some things you can't get away with not having and still be able to make a believable world. That's why the original Deus Ex had mirrors. Even with the poor animations, it was still more believable and immersive than Human Revolution's perpetually obscured mirrors. Reflections in general are a big deal, especially in modern AAA game design. There's really just no excuse.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

I, too, would like to see mirrors return in DX4 (along with water/swimming, NPC animals, and NPC children).

But waaaaay more important than all of these things: the return of proper melee weapons. Leave in the animated takedowns if you absolutely must, but give me a friggin' knife or a crowbar or something else, please!

Originally Posted by Shralla
    Mirrors are pretty important. There are some things you can't get away with not having and still be able to make a believable world. That's why the original Deus Ex had mirrors. Even with the poor animations, it was still more believable and immersive than Human Revolution's perpetually obscured mirrors. Reflections in general are a big deal, especially in modern AAA game design. There's really just no excuse.

True, reflections do wonders for the environment in general. All of the glassy floors in DX looked great. Soon, I want to see a cyberpunk game where it's raining and the city lights are shining off the wet surfaces.

"Animate every single action in third person"
    In a Deus Ex game.
    Much gameplay depth and is primarily in first person.

Perhaps you all would like object carrying and throwing to go, because there is no way a modern company would have the balls to use DX1's method (which is absolutely nothing), no, modern trends and standards demand you can see Jensen holding ALL objects in the mirror, perfectly aligned and looking good, and this is just carrying objects, of all the actions you can do in DX. OR we only have mirrors in places where some control is robbed from the player, isn't that great game design, especially for Deus Ex!

Mirrors + Primarily a Third person game || No mirrors + Primarily First person. Those appear to be the realistic options. I'm open to alternate perspectives on the matter, but lets be realistic here.

Don't get me wrong, mirrors shouldn't be banished from game design for all eternity but I don't see a place for them in a modern Deus Ex game because it's a lot of work for such small reasoning. Either that or we do it DX1's way and not bother with certain anims.

Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix
    I, too, would like to see mirrors return in DX4 (along with water/swimming, NPC animals, and NPC children).
    You forgot to list another 50 or so things,,,,

Mirrors are very important to me, perhaps exaggeratedly so. For some obscure reason, growing up and watching the rapid visual progress of the 80's and the 90's, I had come to judge the overall progress of the graphics by the presence or absence of reflective mirrors, and the quality of the reflection thereof. And I had never fully realised up until now how subconsciously shocked I was by the absence of reflective mirrors in HR. Somewhere there was a twelve year old Frank profoundly disappointed by all those smashed mirrors.

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    Soon, I want to see a cyberpunk game where it's raining and the city lights are shining off the wet surfaces.
    Couldn't agree more. Nothing says "urban" like dark, wet and obscurely shiny pavement. Cities are at their best at night, covered in rain. Every racing game allowing you to pick the weather and the time of day had me driving in a rainy night, with the beams reflecting on the road as best they could.
    To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness

Horror games would be if it weren't for mirrors, including first-person ones.
    Speed up the accelerating returns, 'cause carbon doesn’t work, I want to evolve and operate at terahertz.

Horror games would be if it weren't for mirrors, including first-person ones.
    Lol, you're serious?

System Shock 2
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners

These two are my favourite horror games of all time, there are no mirrors.

Then we have other classics such as:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Resident Evil 1
    Silent Hill
    Dead Space
    Manhunt

All with no mirrors.

And then I can think of a large collection of lesser-known horror games that are great and have no mirrors. Or games that are not wholesome horror but with horror sections done well and there are no mirrors, such as STALKER or the Regenerator sections in Resident Evil 4.

Forgetting this list, what impact do they actually have? Sure they can be used for additional scare tactics, and variety is always good, or be used to see your protagonist without a perspective change, but the big deal being made about mirrors in this thread is too funny.

Special mention: Arx Fatalis' horror sections are masterpieces, no mirrors.

Edit: Hmm, did Resisdent Evil 1 have mirrors? I think it did actually.

I believe the most important question about DX4 is.. when will it come out???

After playing DX:HR, IMO, the most important question regarding DX4 is: Who cares?

Before ya'll get your panties in a bunch, I didn't *hate* the game. I just thought it wasn't a good DX game. Hell, it was better than DX:IW.
    For when you're too lazy to repost your side of an argument/discussion: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=115406

Originally Posted by MaxxQ1
    Before ya'll get your panties in a bunch, I didn't *hate* the game. I just thought it wasn't a good DX game. Hell, it was better than DX:IW.
    My thoughts exactly, well...Invisible War did have it's few positives over HR though.

After playing DX:HR, IMO, the most important question regarding DX4 is: Who cares?
    Lol. If it's as good as HR it will still be fun (if you play combat anyway). Obviously most of us want more than that but we'll see.

You may say who cares now.. but wait till the first trailer of DX4 comes out, then we will see..

Originally Posted by hybridex
    You may say who cares now.. but wait till the first trailer of DX4 comes out, then we will see..
    Meh. If a trailer were released tomorrow, and it was announced the game would be released next week, I'd still be more excited for the Homeworld Remastered set coming out in the fall than I would be about a new DX game.

Yes, I look forward more to a 15 year old repainted game than to a brand spanking new game.
    For when you're too lazy to repost your side of an argument/discussion: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=115406

I believe the most important question about DX4 is.. when will it come out???
    I'm sorry but the most important question is will we see the beginnings of the Omar.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    I'm sorry but the most important question is will we see the beginnings of the Omar.
    Haaa! Omar again.. you are obsessed with the man! But, it would be cool if Russia would be part of the DX4 environment

Meh. If a trailer were released tomorrow, and it was announced the game would be released next week, I'd still be more excited for the Homeworld Remastered set coming out in the fall than I would be about a new DX game.

Yes, I look forward more to a 15 year old repainted game than to a brand spanking new game.
    Come on now.. you can't slam on something that hasn't come out yet. DX4 is expected to be awesome!

Come on now.. you can't slam on something that hasn't come out yet. DX4 is expected to be awesome!
    Who's slamming? I'm just saying that I'm not all that interested in a DX4. Based on my experiences with the two DX games that followed the original, I honestly don't expect the next one (if it ever happens - doubtful) to be any better.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath at all.

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    David Sarif goes mad in his quest to bring augmentation to the world, and once the technology is available, goes overboard with nanoaugs.

Come on now.. you can't slam on something that hasn't come out yet.
    DX4 is expected to be awesome!
    Oh the irony.

Oh the irony.
    Yeah, I caught that as well, but didn't bother with pointing it out.

Think it's too early to revive the CopyPasta thread?

Originally Posted by N30N
    Probably. The engine used on DX:HR was very outdated. They've certainyl migrated to something better now.

Haaa! Omar again.. you are obsessed with the man!
    Hehe, I'm not "really".... I just enjoy standing with the minority group occasionally; depending.

But, it would be cool if Russia would be part of the DX4 environment
    Agreed.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...