Page 4 of 12 First First 12345678 ... Last

Thread: So, just how well DID Thief do financially? - UPDATE: SE Sales Exceed Expectations

So, just how well DID Thief do financially? - UPDATE: SE Sales Exceed Expectations

Originally Posted by NIB
    I don't think there is a definition of how much the price has to drop to call something that way.

Thief being cheaper than most new ( and even half a year old) AAA games is a fact.
    Mass Effect 3 had the same kind of price drops on the 3rd-4th week after its release and that was a bigger AAA title.

I would not read too much into that.

It seems that Thief did not sell very well on its third week in the US:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41714/USA/

SE can call itself lucky if this game can sell 2-2,5 million units total. I hope it won't stop them investing in a sequel. I want to see a next game which takes the feedback into consideration, a great Thief game which this one could and should have been.

Originally Posted by Buccura
    Yeah I've barely seen any real advertising for Thief, especially compared to other AAA games. I think it's possible that Square might have had a similar attitude that 2K might have had on the Bureau, in that this game has been in development for so long that they just wanted it get it done and out.
    Are you kidding me, have you been outside or read a computer related magazine in the past 2-3 months?

I've seen big screen advertising and banners in most shopping centres near me, and loads of printed advertising.

If by "real" advertising you mean cinema and tv advertising.... then I take your point.
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

Originally Posted by taff
    Are you kidding me, have you been outside or read a computer related magazine in the past 2-3 months?

I've seen big screen advertising and banners in most shopping centres near me, and loads of printed advertising.

If by "real" advertising you mean cinema and tv advertising.... then I take your point.
    Yeah that is what I meant. I know there are banners for it in places that it would be sold.

People who say that the game didn't sell so well should remember that there is a worldwide recession right now. Many people just don't have the money to buy games. Even with previous blockbusters, a lot of stores have seen more and more people waiting for the budget release due to cash problems.

A friend of mine had to go to work at 11:30pm at a Game store because the head office wanted all the stores to open in anticipation for the rush to buy a particular blockbuster game. After an hour, the shop closed and they all went home, not a single customer came in. The sales they did get during the next day were pitiful in comparison to the previous release. Most waited until it hit the budget labels and bought it several months later.

His official report on the sales of Thief at his store consisted of one word "Meh..."
    A bird in the hand is... Lunch tonight.

I don't exactly live in a population centre, but my local cinema had a NuThief ad recently. So if that is the hallmark of big advertising, NuThief has it.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    It seems that Thief did not sell very well on its third week in the US:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41714/USA/
    And yet its first week sales are better than Dark Souls II's first week sales. Especially with the multi-platform release.

Dark Souls II only has US sales, not global. And in terms of US sales Dark Souls II did outperform Thief in it's first week.

Originally Posted by Buccura
    Dark Souls II only has US sales, not global. And in terms of US sales Dark Souls II did outperform Thief in its first week.
    Yep.

Dark Souls II USA sales week one: 404,168

Thief USA sales week one: 306,020

Comparing the two does not make sense really. Dark Souls II was a more anticipated title, but as you can see it for yourselves it is not selling that well either. That's the fate of niche games.

Originally Posted by ClashWho
    Yep.

Dark Souls II USA sales week one: 404,168

Thief USA sales week one: 306,020
    PC sales not included in those numbers.

Comparing the two does not make sense really. Dark Souls II was a more anticipated title, but as you can see it for yourselves it is not selling that well either. That's the fate of niche games.
    Compared to Thief though, isn't Dark Souls 2 a far lower budgeted title? From what I've been reading over the past few weeks, it doesn't have a huge AAA budget and should turn a profit much easier than a title like Thief. So even though it's not blowing up the charts, it's probably going to pull in a tidy sum with far fewer units sold.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    Compared to Thief though, isn't Dark Souls 2 a far lower budgeted title? From what I've been reading over the past few weeks, it doesn't have a huge AAA budget and should turn a profit much easier than a title like Thief. So even though it's not blowing up the charts, it's probably going to pull in a tidy sum with far fewer units sold.
    No idea, but probably yes.

Are there any news regarding DLC's, or has Thief been "abandoned" already? I can't find any news whatsoever be it on the official homepage, this forum or the Facebook page...

Originally Posted by Octavio
    Are there any news regarding DLC's, or has Thief been "abandoned" already? I can't find any news whatsoever be it on the official homepage, this forum or the Facebook page...
    I think it would be way too early for any news concerning either dlcs or a sequel. I'm guessing in a month we will hear something new about Thief. Until then the only thing we would get is another patch or two.

I think it would be way too early for any news concerning either dlcs or a sequel. I'm guessing in a months we will hear something new about Thief. Until then the only thing would get is another patch or two.
    Will they be making DLCs considering the layoffs?

Originally Posted by knox140
    Yeah, good question. We'll see. I don't think that the layoffs would have any effect on possible dlcs, since they occured right after the release of the game. I don't think that those people were let go due to the critical reception of the game and some of them were moved to other studios SE owns. I think most (if not all) of those people were contractors and since the game was out their contracts terminated. I'm more worried about the sales. Since the sales numbers are not that good chances are not too high for major dlcs or even a sequel. I think they will even call off the patch-support soon, if the game won't do better. I hope that's not the case, but as of now... things don't seem to be too rosy.

Dark Souls II was a more anticipated title
    Well, maybe my perspective is skewed, but I really don't think this is true. At all.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Originally Posted by brethren
    Well, maybe my perspective is skewed, but I really don't think this is true. At all.
    It has a prequel which was released not very long ago and became legendary among hard core gamers and rpg fans. It is a title which is a bit more widely known among current generation gamers than the old Thief games.

The old Thief games were only familiar to... well, us old Thief fans. For most of today's generation's gamers the old Thief games are ugly and tedious games, and the great majority haven't even heard about them until the marketing and release of the new Thief game. And those people don't complain about the game as we do, they dislike it for different reasons: they find it dull because you can't fight in it. The greatest reason for this game not selling well is that it was a stealth exclusive game and an unkown title in the market.

My impression is that DS 2 is a lot more anticipated. I can't qualify that, but if asked the question I'd answer DS 2 in a heartbeat. No doubt. The sheer amount of goodwill DS 1 garnered among gamers (save its horrid PC port, I guess) stands out in an otherwise contemptous industry. NuThief cannot compete with that sort of word of mouth, even if plenty of press pundits seems to have taken an interest due to the brand.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

Originally Posted by brethren
    Oh, it's true. Dark Souls is HUGE at work. It's pretty much all anyone on my team talks about, as well as everyone else in the office...60+ people. Thief on the other hand...well, everyone knows the original games but had no interest in Thief 2014, for pretty much all the reasons many long time fans have been stating and the majority of the folks I work with are in their mid-twenties. Needless to say, I'm impressed that they prefer the originals. I really think publishers and studios underestimate what gamers really want and / or are capable of playing.

Originally Posted by knox140
    Forget DLC. How about a patch? Be nice to have the sound issues looked after.

Originally Posted by BlayneRTFM
    Forget DLC. How about a patch? Be nice to have the sound issues looked after.
    This. When the sound issues are addressed we can talk about dlcs.

This. When the sound issues are addressed we can talk about dlcs.
    I fear this is less a bug and more flawed design. It's possible it could take a lot more work / testing than they're willing to invest to make sure it's done correctly. Hopefully it is just a bug, because having such a poor sound system in a Thief game is unbelievable.

Thanks for the info GimmeDaGun, the sound issues are really a pain but I still enjoy the game (invested about 60-70 hours). Hope some DLCs get released sooner or later

Page 4 of 12 First First 12345678 ... Last