Thread: City Maps

City Maps

City Maps

Hello,
    On my way through the City I made some maps to keep track of area transitions and mission starts. I didn't find anything like that on the web, so I like to share my "work".
    On it you'll find all chapter starts, client Jobs and area transitions i was able to find. There are also some hidden shortcuts and passages.

These maps aren't accurate or complete and were drawn on an oily original city map while sitting in a dark corner in Muddler's Row, so don't complain...

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Gritty versions:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

That's pretty sweet. Better than the in game maps.

Nice work. I really hate how in games that take place in the "past" (fantasy, medieval, etc...) the devs decide to have ultra sleek, "look at me! I got an iPad" game UI instead of something that looks like it would fit with the genre. Skyrim did this and this game does.

I know this is crazy talk, but how about maps and notes (especially) that actually look like what they would if you actually lived in the world you were playing in.

Originally Posted by mes2370
    That's pretty sweet. Better than the in game maps.

Nice work. I really hate how in games that take place in the "past" (fantasy, medieval, etc...) the devs decide to have ultra sleek, "look at me! I got an iPad" game UI instead of something that looks like it would fit with the genre. Skyrim did this and this game does.

I know this is crazy talk, but how about maps and notes (especially) that actually look like what they would if you actually lived in the world you were playing in.
    Totally agree with you, this was something that annoyed me from the very beginning. I also have no interest in looking up my items in the Clocktower since they are displayed in that immersion-breaking UI. Even the stash-crate has a very limited use since there is not really a reason for leaving some arrows at home, is there? The only case I could think of where you'd need that crate is when you want to increase difficulty by leaving upgrades at home...

Thank you.
    I don't like the UI either though these maps are based on the origininal ones. This way they just look like old blue prints on dirty paper with scribled notes.

Very cool! Thank you!

I remember the devs saying there'd be 4 City hub sections... weren't we supposed to be able to go to Dayport and Auldale as well as Stonemarket and the South Quarter...?

I forgot to mark a transition to Muddler's Row near Ecto's Workshop. Updated.

Awesome! Saved to Desktop.

Update. Bank Heist added.

Thanks, Keep em coming....The game maps suck.....

Very nice work! It's kind of artistic in and of itself...I'm sure with the right Photoshop effects (or the traditional equivalent if you're not using Photoshop), such as charcoal smudges and the right font, you could make this look like an authentic map from NuThief! Aside from the in-game one, that is.

Edit: What I mean more specifically is if you could make this map look like one off of a printing press from the period of NuThief. As it stands right now the map looks like something Garrett drew himself, which isn't a bad thing. I was just merely hinting at possibilities.

Thank you. I started with a piece of paper and a rollerpen because I wanted to keep track of chapter starts and so on. Then I thought "Hey, I could do this on photoshop, that would be nice..."
    My girlfriend said I should share this and so I did.
    Everytime I look at these maps I think about doing some more photoshopping but then I think about the time that would take...
    I liked the hand drawn maps of Thief 1 and 2. Since Thief 4 takes place about 300 years later, a printed map with drawn noted would be nice indeed. Hm.

Added new versions. Less tidy, more immersive.

Gritty versions are great. Add some yellow and it'll be just like in first games ;-)
    My english isn't perfect, sorry...

thats nice

I first tried a yellowish parchment look but removed it because it looked too medieval. The new Thief Setting is very grey and dark, so I decided to use a grey filter. Like Webimpulse said, it is intendet to look like a map from a printing press edited with a pencil.

Thanks! That's truly awesome! Especially the places of transition - so useful...

Originally Posted by deadoptimist
    Thanks! That's truly awesome! Especially the places of transition - so useful...
    Seconded. My bf says thank you to OP.
    I will also refer to these when I play a second time.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Awesome work!
    I must say, you beat me to it...

Thank you.

lovely! I'd like to see a full image (or maybe put them together myself) of all the maps so that it creates the whole city. It'd be interesting to see!
    Calls The Serpents To The Heels Of My Foes! Calls The Ravens To Pecks Their Eyes!
    Calls The Jackals, Carry Thems Away. Their Children To Gnaw Bones In The Night!

Hm... I just noticed that you leave Stonemarket to the east and arrive at Southquarter from the north...
    When I have some spare time I'll try to assemble the maps.

Greetings! It's been a while since I played Thief and made these maps, and now that I play it again, I also had that free time I spoke of in my previous post...

To assemble the maps I had to turn Southquarter 90° and I also needed to adjust the notes. I added some ink and messed around with it and that's it. I don't know how useful this map actually is, but at least it looks interesting and now pictures the whole city. Have a look.

(click image to enlarge)
    Last edited by Lady_Of_The_Vine; 14th Apr 2015 at 07:50. Reason: merged double post

Something I and a friend of mine had been working on. Should compliment OP's maps with place names.

This was originally posted on Tumblr

Sweet.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...