Thread: 47's inventory...

47's inventory...

Is it just me, or wouldn't it be better if 47 had a limit on what he can carry, like in Resident Evil, with a box shaped inventory. He could have his silverballer, a few syringes, an explosive, his penny and maybe 1 or 2 more items, but any more items and he'll have to start switching them out, making a trade off. They said they've removed his "magic pockets" but I'm sure they're just talking about his firearms. It would be nice if you had to manage your inventory more.

I think IO got the inventory system just right in the previous installments.

Also, in the previous games, weapons on your "gun wall" would only appear if you finished the level with them. If they do this again, limiting how much you can carry in a level would not be a good idea.

Side note: I like how in Hitman 1, you could access your inventory in real time unlike Blood Money (where the game would pause).

Yeah, I do think thy should bring back the real time inventory. The immersion is lost when you essentially pause the game to grab what you need. However, I think they should do away with the carousel-style inventory selection, especially if it's in real time. But I don't find it necessary to collect weapons through the levels. What do you need 6 different handguns and 3 different SMG's for? A better idea would be to have a weapons store where you buy only the guns you want and then customize them. And you should be able to customize every weapon, not just the standard. But being that it is Hitman anything beyond a handgun and a sniper rifle is redundant.

I think there should be both a real time inventory (like in Absolution) and one like in the older games where the game is paused, there are item descriptions, etc. Also there should be the option to drop items.
    There's a bullet for everyone.. And a time.. And a place..

I prefer real-time to the old way (time-pause inventory). Absolution had a nice inventory except for the look, the boxy oddness made it a little awkward to use. I think maybe you could use D-pad left and right to cycle through your inventory. Icons could pop up on your HUD to show the selected item and everything else in your inventory. The idea of inventory management is cool, but it needs to work well in practice. Limiting your selection of guns to only two, but having one be a shotgun and the other be a sniper rifle is kinda terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by S3R6i0 View Post
    Is it just me, or wouldn't it be better if 47 had a limit on what he can carry, like in Resident Evil, with a box shaped inventory. He could have his silverballer, a few syringes, an explosive, his penny and maybe 1 or 2 more items, but any more items and he'll have to start switching them out, making a trade off. They said they've removed his "magic pockets" but I'm sure they're just talking about his firearms. It would be nice if you had to manage your inventory more.
    I agree... the gameplay become more "realistic"

Quote Originally Posted by gkkiller View Post
    I prefer real-time to the old way (time-pause inventory). Absolution had a nice inventory except for the look, the boxy oddness made it a little awkward to use. I think maybe you could use D-pad left and right to cycle through your inventory. Icons could pop up on your HUD to show the selected item and everything else in your inventory. The idea of inventory management is cool, but it needs to work well in practice. Limiting your selection of guns to only two, but having one be a shotgun and the other be a sniper rifle is kinda terrible.
    Shotguns, carbines and sniper rifles are not concealable so they do not apply. The inventory is only for concealables. As an example, in The Meat King's Party, when 47 had to recover the girl's arm - what if he had to lose the handgun in order to complete the mission and kill the target unarmed? That's what I'm referring to. He had to lose his original silverballer to get inside, so yes, I'm fine with having to scavage for weapons every now and then.

Also, I hate cyclying for items, I would much rather have the entire inventory displayed and selecting what i want.

the cycle is nice , its just an effect and it pauses time so it's not like you need to rush when choosing

also,

the reason for the 'magic pockets' was so that we could use weapons like the shotguns and the rifles... in BM the shotgun was a sweet weapon choice but you could never bring it on missions with you because you couldn't conceal it

there is a need to conceal bigger weapons so that you can use them

maybe they should just revert to the BM style of carrying weapons, but add an unlock option where you could maybe 'purchase' the ability to conceal bigger weapons or have 'magic pockets' ..

once you beat the game of course

I strongly disagree. Shotguns and rifles should not be concealable. That takes away the realism. Not even as an upgrade. That's why the sniper rifle has a case. There could be other ways of transporting long weapons, like a roses box, Terminator 2 style, or a food tray with a tarp. Concealing all types of long firearms up your @$$ would be a step back into Absolution. You need to think in terms of a silent assassin, where the objective is to be as discrete as possible. Loud and flashy shotguns don't fit in that world, there are games like COD and GTA V for you to wreak mayhem in. And with many options to kill a target, shotguns and machine gunsare more redundant than necessary.

Also, pausing the game to go through your inventory kills the tension. Not to bring up Resident Evil again, but that game is a master at creation tension in a way that Hitman will greatly benefit from.

I strongly disagree. Shotguns and rifles should not be concealable. That takes away the realism. Not even as an upgrade. That's why the sniper rifle has a case. There could be other ways of transporting long weapons, like a roses box, Terminator 2 style, or a food tray with a tarp. Concealing all types of long firearms up your @$$ would be a step back into Absolution. You need to think in terms of a silent assassin, where the objective is to be as discrete as possible. Loud and flashy shotguns don't fit in that world, there are games like COD and GTA V for you to wreak mayhem in. And with many options to kill a target, shotguns and machine gunsare more redundant than necessary.

Also, pausing the game to go through your inventory kills the tension. Not to bring up Resident Evil again, but that game is a master at creation tension in a way that Hitman will greatly benefit from.
    Allowing 1 concealable weapon would be fine IMO. Realism is only good when it doesn't intrude on fun.

And I disagree about RE being a "master at creating tension". Maybe the old titles were, but not these past few ones. The Bioshock series (especially 1) is much much much better at creating tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Shephard View Post
    Allowing 1 concealable weapon would be fine IMO. Realism is only good when it doesn't intrude on fun.

And I disagree about RE being a "master at creating tension". Maybe the old titles were, but not these past few ones. The Bioshock series (especially 1) is much much much better at creating tension.
    Really? So you're fine with concealing a sniper rifle?

"Realism is only good when it doesn't intrude on fun." Seriously, what is a shotgun or a carbine gonna bring to table that was so missed and absent in Blood Money? What is so important about blowing a hole the size of a grapefruit into someone. How often are these weapons ever employed in Hitman (aside from Absolution).

And... yes, I was referring to old school Resident Evil. But even the new RE games are tense, even if not as much as before, games like Resident Evil still have core principles like making the player vulnerable. I never played BioShock. It's too cartooney I can't stand FPS's.

Really? So you're fine with concealing a sniper rifle?

"Realism is only good when it doesn't intrude on fun." Seriously, what is a shotgun or a carbine gonna bring to table that was so missed and absent in Blood Money? What is so important about blowing a hole the size of a grapefruit into someone. How often are these weapons ever employed in Hitman (aside from Absolution).

And... yes, I was referring to old school Resident Evil. But even the new RE games are tense, even if not as much as before, games like Resident Evil still have core principles like making the player vulnerable. I never played BioShock. It's too cartooney I can't stand FPS's.
    No, sniper rifles are huge...much bigger than, say, an M4. I understand Hitman is supposed to be sneaky but sometimes when people are bored, they just rampage.

The cartoon graphics are overdone in Infinite, the first game is fine. You're really missing out if you haven't played the series...they aren't your typical COD shootem ups.

I find most of the vulnerability in RE games is due to the weird camera angle and extremely clunky controls. Not to mention the increasingly cluttered HUD.

idk, I appreciate the ultra realism in some games. I find it more immersive, like I'm really there. Knowing that I have a full arsenal of weapons kinda brings me back to fantasy land. There are plenty of games like Metal Gear Solid where you could be armed to teeth. Whatever floats your boat, I guess, I have never had a need for rampaging in Hitman.

I've played both Bioshock 1 and Infinite. I stopped playing the first game when I saw how clunky the aiming was, I was just spraying bullets all over the place and the zombie-like characters were all too familiar. Infinite reminded me of the first game. I might check out again, but not anytime soon.

idk, I appreciate the ultra realism in some games. I find it more immersive, like I'm really there. Knowing that I have a full arsenal of weapons kinda brings me back to fantasy land. There are plenty of games like Metal Gear Solid where you could be armed to teeth. Whatever floats your boat, I guess, I have never had a need for rampaging in Hitman.
    So you're saying that you never went all out guns blazing in a Hitman level? Weren't you the one who said it be good to include some "all action" missions?

True, Bioshock does have some crap aiming if you're playing on the console.

So you're saying that you never went all out guns blazing in a Hitman level? Weren't you the one who said it be good to include some "all action" missions?
    Yes. The aiming in old skool Hitman is terrible and puzzle-based. The sensitivity is too high and lowering it means slowing down your scanning vision. A shootout won't reward you, but actually penalize you very heavily and does nothing to progress the game until every last person is dead (yay!), so there really isn't a reason to go that route other than to satisfy some juvenile pre-GTA III fantasy.
    I did say I wanted a shootout in the next Hitman, but in a controlled manner with an intent from the developer, with modern shootout fundamentals like cover and realistic aiming and physics. As an example, the Requiem mission in Blood Money. That was a climatic shootout scene. It was the final level in the game and rather than having 47 come after the wheelchair guy in typical Hitman fashion, sneaking around and quietly disposing of obstacles like every level preceding it, instead the last level was more cinematic and climatic. 47 had easy access to a machine gun once he shot down a secret service agent and even if he didn't shooting your way out with just handguns is satisfying enough. So, as I just point out, you don't need to load yourself out with an arsenal because you can find weapons in-game. I don't have a problem with rifles or shotguns but in a stealth game they should be conservative. For all intents and purposes, fine, add concealable shotguns but I won't be using them.

Smile

No, sniper rifles are huge...much bigger than, say, an M4. I understand Hitman is supposed to be sneaky but sometimes when people are bored, they just rampage.
    this is what i was getting at,

im cool with putting sniper rifles in cases

but if i want to bring a shotgun on the mission i should be able to conceal it - somehow someway - or an m4

and usually i like to be able to bring a sniper along with a rifle/shotgun/whatever else i have in my inventory

also, in BM you could add a silencer to a shotgun - it wasn't super silent but it made it quieter