View Poll Results: What's your favourite "contemporary" ( first-person) Stealth-Game?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thief (2014)

13 22.81%
  • Dishonored

11 19.30%
  • The Dark Mod

25 43.86%
  • Other ( post in comments)

8 14.04%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last

Thread: What's your favourite "contemporary" ( first-person) Stealth-Game?

What's your favourite "contemporary" ( first-person) Stealth-Game?

What's your favourite "contemporary" ( first-person) Stealth-Game?

also have a look at my other very important poll: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=142222

Originally Posted by NIB
    ... look at my other very important poll:
    You make very important polls, NIB; you are the almighty Poll Poster General..

signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    You make very important polls, NIB; you are the almighty Poll Poster General..

Everything i post is of great importance...

...to me

If the poll wasn't for first person stealth games, Mark of the Ninja would take the prize for me... God damn that game is amazing

Thief - The Metal Age... ah, contemporary.. well, I have to go with Thief 2014 since I haven't played Dishonored (and it is not a full on stealth game as I understand). I'm planning to play the Dark Mod at some point, but first I will replay the Thief quatrology in order with graphic mods installed.

Edit: I like your polls NIB.

I'm a big narrative and characterization in games guy. One of my biggest issues with Dishonored is Corvo Attano's characterization. While you can get a lot about a character from how characters treat and interact with him and the world, I typically don't like silent protagonists. In a first person game this issue is made even worse since you don't even have body language to go off of. So while I understand Corvo's motivations and place int he world, I know next to nothing about the actual man.

The Dark Mod this is all null and void in this regard.

With Thief (2014), they do a fantastic job not only characterizing Garrett, but solving the problem of personifying through body language in first person. I get a great sense of who this Garrett is, why he does what he does, AND his presence in the world. All those animations people find tedious I eat up and savor.

While I love the gameplay in Dishonored it tends to be a bit faster paced and light in terms of movement mechanics. Thief has weight to it, and I enjoy the City a bit more than Dunwall in terms of tone. Would still like to see this City functioning rather than having the screws tightened in the future
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Originally Posted by Master Taffer
    I'm a big narrative and characterization in games guy. One of my biggest issues with Dishonored is Corvo Attano's characterization. While you can get a lot about a character from how characters treat and interact with him and the world, I typically don't like silent protagonists. In a first person game this issue is made even worse since you don't even have body language to go off of. So while I understand Corvo's motivations and place int he world, I know next to nothing about the actual man.

The Dark Mod this is all null and void in this regard.

With Thief (2014), they do a fantastic job not only characterizing Garrett, but solving the problem of personifying through body language in first person. I get a great sense of who this Garrett is, why he does what he does, AND his presence in the world. All those animations people find tedious I eat up and savor.

While I love the gameplay in Dishonored it tends to be a bit faster paced and light in terms of movement mechanics. Thief has weight to it, and I enjoy the City a bit more than Dunwall in terms of tone. Would still like to see this City functioning rather than having the screws tightened in the future
    Yeah, story, characterization, setting, lore and atmosphere are the most important things in games to me as well.

The story of Thief has lots of potential and it is interesting (if I take every aspect of it into consideration), but feels incomplete and incoherent-lacking at times, plus the handling of the characters is a bit off at times. Overall I enjoy it a lot more during my second playthrough.

Garrett: Now that I fully realise that this is not a "reboot Garrett", but a totally new character I appreciate him a lot more. He seems to be less cynical, less sarcastic and charismatic than the old guy, he is an ok character. A bit more melancholical, more quiet and not so arrogant and heated by anger than the old Garrett was. He is more of a classical lonely criminal guy.

The setting and the lore are A+ in this game to me. It's exciting to see another age of the City where the old events are all part of history. It's cool to revisit the old familiar places as someone else with little knowledge of what really happened. I love all the references.

Atmosphere. I just love it. I love it just as much as I loved the atmosphere of the old trilogy.

I'd vote for Dishonored. Especially the sound 'system' is disappointing in Thief (but many other things, too).
    Unfortunately, like in other polls, I can't vote ("You may not vote on this poll") - is there any solution for this voting problem, yet?

Originally Posted by ToughTaffer
    I'd vote for Dishonored. Especially the sound 'system' is disappointing in Thief (but many other things, too).
    Unfortunately, like in other polls, I can't vote ("You may not vote on this poll") - is there any solution for this voting problem, yet?
    You have to be a member for at least 14 days and you have to reach a certian amount of posts before you can vote.

I guess for me, I get the characterization I need from Thief and related games via how the character is portrayed in cutscenes/briefings/exposition, his capabilities and toolset, readables/backstory, skills, movement abilities, etc. When I'm in the gameplay, I don't need body language and mid-mission cutscenes and dialogues to enhance that feeling or characterization. In fact, it can detract, as it did for me with Thief 4, through loss of player control, repetitive animations (loot head-bobbing, wait to open grate, wait to hide in closet, wait to open door, etc.), and voice acting/lines not striking a chord with me. Any characterization attempts were completely negated and actually thrust into a land of being detrimental, imo.

Not a spoiler... but just hiding a wall of text:

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    Thief - The Metal Age... ah, contemporary..
    I did not include the old games since the outcome of the poll would have been too predictable then.

@ MT: I agree with pretty much everything there. Except that I didn't like Garrett's character in NuThief.

It has been hard for me to pick one this time since I like all 3 of them for different reasons.

Originally Posted by ToughTaffer

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    You have to be a member for at least 14 days and you have to reach a certian amount of posts before you can vote.
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/faq.php#faq_usergr
    Gamer

30 posts and 14 days of membership makes you a Gamer.

Your PM box can now hold 100 messages, you can vote in polls and create your own, and you can use smilies and text formatting BB code in your signature.

I'm guessing that sense you're getting of "who this Garrett is" comes more from the abundance of 3rd person cutscenes and one-liner VOs spread throughout the game, rather than from animations that show Garrett opening a door or blackjacking a guard or weaving his way through a series of crates. Or looking at his own feet.

If not, then picture the game without the former. That pretty much puts it on equal ground with Dishonored.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Can't vote yet and I don't want to spam posts just to be able to, so I'll just say my vote:

Dark Mod - as for me definitely best modern stealth game. Its main drawback is lack of professional campaign (there are some outstanding fan missions though), but as I'm aware, campaign is being currently worked on. Personally for me this is real successor to classic Thief games.

Dishonored, while very fun, in terms of stealth mechanics it can't match Dark Mod or even new Thief.

New Thief, while I see some positives and fun parts in this game, but overall it was a big dissapointment.

Originally Posted by brethren
    I'm guessing that sense you're getting of "who this Garrett is" comes more from the abundance of 3rd person cutscenes and one-liner VOs spread throughout the game, rather than from animations that show Garrett opening a door or blackjacking a guard or weaving his way through a series of crates. Or looking at his own feet.

If not, then picture the game without the former. That pretty much puts it on equal ground with Dishonored.
    All of it together. If other people aren't getting any sense of depth of character, that's their problem.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

All of it together. If other people aren't getting any sense of depth of character, that's their problem.
    If it's just a few people - yes it's their problem.

If it' a big bunch of people it might be EMs problem.

In my honest opinion, Thief II: The Metal Age is the unprecedented greatest stealth game of all time.
    However, also in my honest opinion, my personal favorite all time stealth game is Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Just for fun and to bump the thread - my complete list:

1. TMA
    2. SC chaos theory
    3. Hitman contracts
    4. Hitman blood money
    5. TDP
    6. Dark Messiah
    7. Dishonored
    8. TDM
    9. SC1
    10. SC blacklist
    11. Hitman silent assassin
    12. Mark of the ninja
    13. Thief 2014
    14. SC double agent
    15. hitman absolution
    16. SC conviction

Dishonored is not a stealth game.

The thing is, Garrett already had a sense of depth in the previous games. But EM stripped all of that away. In Thief 1-3, Garrett stole to pay for the rent, now he just steals because he feels like it. There's no back story or reasoning for why he became a Thief unlike the previous games where he was trained by the keepers.

I'm not feeling any character depth because in my opinion EM failed to give him any character.

Originally Posted by bjshepp
    Dishonored is not a stealth game.
    Sure it is. You can play it that way if you wish. And I did. You can also play the following as stealth games:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Oblivion
    Morrowind
    Fallout 3

Probably Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas, too. And I've heard you can go stealth in Far Cry3. I'm sure there are more.

For me a true stealth game is one where you absolutely have to be stealthy and all the core mechanics support that play style. Simply having stealth as an option doesn't make it a stealth game. Just an action game with stealth elements.

Despite it's flaws, I consider Thief 4 to be the closest thing we've had to a true first person stealth game since the originals from a AAA title. Not counting TDM of course or any other fan or indie projects.

For me a true stealth game is one where you absolutely have to be stealthy and all the core mechanics support that play style.
    That's a fair distinction.

For me a true stealth game is one where you absolutely have to be stealthy and all the core mechanics support that play style. Simply having stealth as an option doesn't make it a stealth game. Just an action game with stealth elements.

Stealth always is "just" an option. In the original Thief games it's the only option that's fun to play though.

Originally Posted by NIB
    Stealth always is "just" an option. In the original Thief games it's the only option that's fun to play though.
    There are levels in the original Thief games where detection means automatic failure, so stealth is required at least some of the time.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last