Thread: Rock Paper Shotgun Interview with Original Thief Devs

Rock Paper Shotgun Interview with Original Thief Devs

Rock Paper Shotgun Interview with Original Thief Devs

Game and a Chat Interview with Greg LoPiccolo and Randy Smith on Thief Gold and what the ideas and inspiration was for the game.

You can tell that it's been a while, I can't imagine having people ask me questions of something I did 15 years ago. Could be tough to recollect the details.

A Game and a Chat-Thief
    Calls The Serpents To The Heels Of My Foes! Calls The Ravens To Pecks Their Eyes!
    Calls The Jackals, Carry Thems Away. Their Children To Gnaw Bones In The Night!

Originally Posted by Nephthys
    Game and a Chat Interview with Greg LoPiccolo and Randy Smith on Thief Gold and what the ideas and inspiration was for the game.

You can tell that it's been a while, I can't imagine having people ask me questions of something I did 15 years ago. Could be tough to recollect the details.

A Game and a Chat-Thief
    Depends on how important it was for your life.
    For Randy it was his first job as game-dev, for Greg - his first project as project lead(it was his turning point and went to found Harmonix)

So, well, they have quite massive reasons to remember. Plus Thief fans chat with them sometimes...

Originally Posted by Nephthys

A Game and a Chat-Thief
    Yeah, all the people complaining about the AI in nuThief, just watch from 11:04 to 11:28 in that video and enjoy.

bro meh those graphics

Originally Posted by zwanzig_zwoelf
    bro meh those graphics
    You want to see what this old Dark Engine is capable of? Here you go:

Try my Thief 2 fan mission Old Comrades, Old Debts.
    signature image

Originally Posted by ClashWho
    Yeah, all the people complaining about the AI in nuThief, just watch from 11:04 to 11:28 in that video and enjoy.
    This is "just" a 1998 game's fight scene. If it had better animations it wouldn't be too different from NuThief.

Originally Posted by Bukary

bro can it do something as cool as this?

bro can it do something as cool as this?
    And your point is?

I thought we were talking about Dark Engine (1998) look and possibilities.
    Try my Thief 2 fan mission Old Comrades, Old Debts.
    signature image

And your point is?

I thought we were talking about Dark Engine (1998) look and possibilities.
    bro i was asking whether the engine can make grafiks like in crysis

Stop making this nonsense-argument. Just because a game in 1998 (which, for your information is 16 years ago) had poor AI does not mean that we should NOT expect a better AI today. Just pointing to the old games and saying "but look at THAT poor AI" is no excuse.

Good thing that game came out like 50 years ago.....

bro i was asking whether the engine can make grafiks like in crysis
    You are ridiculous. How can you even compare 15 years old engine to a new one? Even two years in gaming industry makes big difference so stop talking dumb
    My english isn't perfect, sorry...

Yep, and that was done a few years before NewDark hit the scene, imagine what it could do now.

Originally Posted by NIB
    This is "just" a 1998 game's fight scene. If it had better animations it wouldn't be too different from NuThief.
    I'm talking about the AI, though. Garrett is whacking him repeatedly from behind, but the guard apparently thinks he's in front of him through the door somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I think The Dark Project is the best video game ever made, seriously, but I also think some posters tend to be far more forgiving of its faults than they are of NuThief's.

Probably for good reason, though. I just played NuThief for another couple of hours, today, and while I'm truly having a great time (did several post-Chapter Five Basso missions that were pretty damn tricky to navigate and damn satisfying once accomplished), but the audio issues continue to raise their ugly little heads. Had the echo effect a couple times where a dialogue event triggers and then the exact same audio event triggers a second later. And the guy giving the political speech behind the Crippled Burrick was poking a lot of holes in the air, but I couldn't hear a thing he was saying. Until I accessed the arms dealer and then exited the arms dealer, then the political speech was back to being audible.

The first two games are such MASTERPIECES of sound design, and I mean that literally, that the audio of NuThief being such a mess is all the more galling.

Anyway... that's some crappy AI in that video.

Saturnine is amazing.

I'm talking about the AI, though. Garrett is whacking him repeatedly from behind, but the guard apparently thinks he's in front of him through the door somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I think The Dark Project is the best video game ever made, seriously, but I also think some posters tend to be far more forgiving of its faults than they are of NuThief's.

Probably for good reason, though. I just played NuThief for another couple of hours, today, and while I'm truly having a great time (did several post-Chapter Five Basso missions that were pretty damn tricky to navigate and damn satisfying once accomplished), but the audio issues continue to raise their ugly little heads. Had the echo effect a couple times where a dialogue event triggers and then the exact same audio event triggers a second later. And the guy giving the political speech behind the Crippled Burrick was poking a lot of holes in the air, but I couldn't hear a thing he was saying. Until I accessed the arms dealer and then exited the arms dealer, then the political speech was back to being audible.

The first two games are such MASTERPIECES of sound design, and I mean that literally, that the audio of NuThief being such a mess is all the more galling.

Anyway... that's some crappy AI in that video.
    Thats not the point but okay

Oh, do please tell me what the point is, Spades.

Oh, do please tell me what the point is, Spades.
    The point is that you shouldn't be comparing the A.I. of a 16 year old game to that of a modern one. Btw if you have to use a vid of said old game in order to make the A.I. of said new game look good then....that's just bad.

The Dark Project has better stealth AI than the new Thief game either way.

Yeah, the characters aren't as reactive or sharp once alerted, but the process of taking them from their unaware state to full alertness is handled much, much better in the older games. See ~29:20 - 31:00 in that same video. It's a hard thing to tune, and it could be even better than it is in 1-3, but the fourth game felt like a big step backwards in that area.

Ah, ok. I don't mind that too much since i don't judge TDP by today's standards.

aaaand
    - of course the guard lost his sense for orientation after he got hit on the head a couple of times
    - maybe the guard tried to escape

If you watch the "Post Chat" with Randy Smith... at 31 mins or so he talks about the rope arrow. The important thing is not that HE was responsible for getting rid of it...

what is interesting is that he specifically says... as if its common knowledge that "you can't just put the spots for the rope arrow where its useful" and goes on to say that you have to include it in "the soup" of emergent gameplay.

while no one is under the impression that this new game is an example of Emergent... what about NOT using the rope arrow spots ONLY where its useful was counter intuitive to EM?

oy, this game is tedious in how it constantly tells me what to do and where to do it.

Try bashing someone like that in real life and you'll 'stun lock' them as well.

Some good content...thanks for sharing those interviews.

Originally Posted by bartekb8
    You are ridiculous. How can you even compare 15 years old engine to a new one? Even two years in gaming industry makes big difference so stop talking dumb
    bro im serious the game looks bad just look at those blocks it looks worse than minecraft

A shame neither of them had played NuThief. 2/3s the fun of dragging these people out for this game is to watch them squirm as they try to comment on it without being disrespectful towards their colleagues in the business.

Randy's comment on the rope arrows will probably be funny to him in hindsight once he sees how EM has handled that particular issue.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review