Page 6 of 8 First First ... 2345678 Last

Thread: Essential tweaks and fixes for the PC version.

Essential tweaks and fixes for the PC version.

Originally Posted by Ugh-Tech
    Sorry, but this statement is not correct, if you're using Windows 8.1!
    It has been confirmed that voices and subtitles may be missing/(dis)played for less than a second, if Thief game files are not located on C: and the OS is Windows 8.1.

In my case they were installed on a storage space (S) defined over internal disks and I could not hear voices, ambient sounds or read subtitles. When I move the Installation to C: it works perfectly.
    Got it, thanks for the tip! Updating OP now!

Originally Posted by CiroConsentino
    The game is installed on drive C:\ (internal 1TB 7200RPM SATA3 HDD) and I get missing audio.
    I also tried installing the game on a 64GB SSD SATA3 (read 512 MB/s) and I'm still getting missing audio and cutoff audio, and overlap dialogs repeating themselves.
    My specs:
    Core I7 2600 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GeForce GTX 570HD with 2.5GB of VRAM, Creative Audigy 2 ZS with a 5.1 sound system, Windows 7 SP1 64-bits at 1920x1080 res.

Game updated to latest patch 1.3 build 4118.5 and all settings at max, except vsync. Doesn't matter what video/audio settings I configure in the game, audio is buggy.
    ... I miss games with EAX effects. Those were the good old days with TRUE surround sound experience.
    I guess it's probably down to EM at this point to roll out a cross-platform patch to finally fix the buggy sound. I really don't know how these audio bugs could slip past quality control?!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Finally got sick of the shroud flash and want to hex edit it away.... problem is, the decompress.zip link on the first page doesn't work anymore

Nevermind:

http://www.gildor.org/downloads
    http://www.gildor.org/down/37/umodel/decompress.zip

I suggest the OP updates their links
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

Originally Posted by taff
    Updated, thanks!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Hi , finally i have my hands on the game ,i like ! maybe i Tweak it a bit !
    someone have already removed the animations on "grab/frob" ?!

Originally Posted by HawkflyAway
    Hi , finally i have my hands on the game ,i like ! maybe i Tweak it a bit !
    someone have already removed the animations on "grab/frob" ?!
    Not that I know of, but the shroud/white flash hex edits at least (both methods - decompressed/compressed thiefgame.u file) have been confirmed to work perfectly! If you or someone else manages to come up with some more tweaks, I'll update the OP as soon as possible!

Thanks so much for this post! That white flash is incredibly annoying!

Originally Posted by allibear17
    Thanks so much for this post! That white flash is incredibly annoying!
    I know, right? Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have your retina seared every 2 seconds while playing THIEF in the dark should have also provided an ON/OFF switch in the settings, but nooo... as always though, PC gamers found a way!

Originally Posted by Verrenus
    I know, right? Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have your retina seared every 2 seconds while playing THIEF in the dark should have also provided an ON/OFF switch in the settings, but nooo... as always though, PC gamers found a way!

The galling part of it all is how it was defended, along with the shroud. Was the game not tested under the type of lighting conditions a lot of people might actually enjoy playing Thief....like, in the dark? With the shroud and that white flash turned off, at least I can now concentrate on my surroundings in the game without constantly being reminded I'm in a game by the constantly darkening, lightening, swirling shroud and white flashes.

Originally Posted by New Horizon
    The galling part of it all is how it was defended, along with the shroud. Was the game not tested under the type of lighting conditions a lot of people might actually enjoy playing Thief....like, in the dark? With the shroud and that white flash turned off, at least I can now concentrate on my surroundings in the game without constantly being reminded I'm in a game by the constantly darkening, lightening, swirling shroud and white flashes.
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the game more now, New Horizon!

The shroud and white flashes must have been another "mark" that EM wanted to put on their reboot of the franchise, otherwise I really don't understand why they would so stubbornly ignore our demands for an OFF switch. Heck, even THEY disabled it for their later trailers!

Dont know if this is the right place to ask but...what about Trinkets or focus abilities, they dont seem to do anything, specially trinkets wich should increse maximum healt and focus, i have all trinkets and still same amount of energy and focus, is this a bug or what?

Originally Posted by tradolan79
    Dont know if this is the right place to ask but...what about Trinkets or focus abilities, they dont seem to do anything, specially trinkets wich should increse maximum healt and focus, i have all trinkets and still same amount of energy and focus, is this a bug or what?
    I guess you still get the increase after you buy the trinkets, but it's just that the focus and health semicircles don't increase in size to mirror that! Poor design, I know, but it's not the only issue with the game, sadly.

I guess you still get the increase after you buy the trinkets, but it's just that the focus and health semicircles don't increase in size to mirror that! Poor design, I know, but it's not the only issue with the game, sadly.
    THX for answer m8...i think health and focus bar is ment to be full circle when you have all trinkets. And yes sadly game has many bugs...i also noticed that chapter challenges does not give you rewards always. ...i think they are one time deal anyway, but havent got even one time, and ive always checked that they are completed at the end of chapter, but no.

Just removed shroud and think I've figured out why em didn't let us do it from menu.The reason is that Garrett is a light source and if you remove shroud in complete darkness you can actually see the light coming form him - if you are close enough to wall and that looks silly, kinda glitchy, so probably they figured that it is better to leave the shroud always on.
    How would that be funny?

Originally Posted by tradolan79
    THX for answer m8...i think health and focus bar is ment to be full circle when you have all trinkets. And yes sadly game has many bugs...i also noticed that chapter challenges does not give you rewards always. ...i think they are one time deal anyway, but havent got even one time, and ive always checked that they are completed at the end of chapter, but no.
    No problem, mate!

We're trying our best through this thread to fix/hack/patch the game ourselves, but there's only so much we can do without Nixxes/EM's help. Hopefully they will release further patches sooner rather than later!

Originally Posted by larix
    Just removed shroud and think I've figured out why em didn't let us do it from menu.The reason is that Garrett is a light source and if you remove shroud in complete darkness you can actually see the light coming form him - if you are close enough to wall and that looks silly, kinda glitchy, so probably they figured that it is better to leave the shroud always on.
    That would be the "proxy light", meant to help you see things in the dark, kind of like natural eye adaptation. You can disable/tweak it down using Mavros' hex edits in the OP, according to your liking. Be warned, however, that switching it off completely can make things extremely hard to distinguish in the shadows!

Great stuff, Witness! Thanks a lot for the update! I will add your hex edits to the OP as well and let people choose themselves whichever ones they want to use!
    First, a great THANK YOU to you, Verrenus, for the following of the game via this Thread and to have pinned my tweak. It's always a pleasure to help the community.

Some little frustrating things I notice in the game :

- In some rooms, you can hear the Tic-Tac of an old clock and when you observe the clock, nothing move inside...
    - The gears of the elevators don't move (And yet, they moved in Thief III !?)
    - There is no option to just show the compass on the HUD (the only way is to display the dynamic map with it)

I hope Nixxes gives some attention to this topic...

Originally Posted by Witness
    First, a great THANK YOU to you, Verrenus, for the following of the game via this Thread and to have pinned my tweak. It's always a pleasure to help the community.

Some little frustrating things I notice in the game :

- In some rooms, you can hear the Tic-Tac of an old clock and when you observe the clock, nothing move inside...
    - The gears of the elevators don't move (And yet, they moved in Thief III !?)
    - There is no option to just show the compass on the HUD (the only way is to display the dynamic map with it)

I hope Nixxes gives some attention to this topic...
    Thank you very much for your kind words and your help in making THIEF a better game, Witness! The pleasure is all mine!

We can only hope that Nixxes bring out more patches to fix all of the remaining issues. It's a shame that people have to resort to hex edits to get their desired experience!

Originally Posted by Witness
    Funny that.. In one of the side missions there was clock on the wall, rather small, it didn't play ANY role other then decoration, it was so insignificant one wouldn't normally notice it. The only reason why I did was because i was stuck and was looking for lock box combination(it wasn't in the clock). Yet the clock actually did work and show time. So nice of them to take care of such small details yet leave so many game breaking bugs in game
    How would that be funny?

So nice of them to take care of such small details yet leave so many game breaking bugs in game
    I know exactly what you mean. EM's attention to tiny details is in direct conflict with the presence of overwhelmingly overt bugs, even after multiple patches! I still don't get how things like the poor lip-syncing, the missing audio effects or poor sound propagation could have escaped quality control? Never mind that, why aren't they still not being fixed now that everyone complained about them?

Funny that.. In one of the side missions there was clock on the wall, rather small, it didn't play ANY role other then decoration, it was so insignificant one wouldn't normally notice it. The only reason why I did was because i was stuck and was looking for lock box combination(it wasn't in the clock). Yet the clock actually did work and show time. So nice of them to take care of such small details yet leave so many game breaking bugs in game
    It's funny, I'll try to find that. Me, I was talking about the clocks with a pendulum in a cabinet. When you look inside, the beam don't move !

Sorry for my broken english, I'm a "french" belgian

Is there any solution to the looping problem? In Chapter 6 I cannot get into the sewers! I just get dumped right back at the start of the chapter. Thx

Originally Posted by jancron13
    Is there any solution to the looping problem? In Chapter 6 I cannot get into the sewers! I just get dumped right back at the start of the chapter. Thx
    Can you give a bit more details about the problem? Where exactly does it happen?

For PC / Windows 7, you can change the date and time to April 2, and uncheck the "sync with internet" box in the third tab from the Calendar menu. Others can try to disconnect from the internet and change the time / date to April 2, but many are reporting this does not work for Windows 8 or 8.1

OH my god my thief wont save games anymore, when i load it starts always at last checkpoint, what happened, anyone any ideas?? this is unbelieveble !!
    Now if i go to any chaper, it will load and start from the clock tower, lol...what the FU**??

There maybe spoilers in this!

Details of my Chapter 6 problem:

I am running windows 8.1 and I get to the cut scene with the General (after collecting the stone) and I am supposed to drop into the sewers instead the game loads me back at the beginning of Chapter 6. I have replayed the game again and it does the same thing. I managed to sneak through with no saves to see if it would work.

Also I am not sure how I do those changes that another user posted on here. Can you give me more details as I would really like to progress in the game.

Thanks

Well that now works. Yeay. Please ignore my previous post.

However I am back in stonemarket doing the odd job for Basso and I cannot climb!!!! Arg!!!
    I jump onto a rope, can climb down but not up. The arms move but nothing happens. Same with ladders. Those gratings in the walls are ok as long as I move forward as soon as I get to the top otherwise I will fall straight back down again. Same with crates.

Also do not seem to be able to climb down ladders either. To get off I have to press [Space].

Has anyone else experienced this?

Page 6 of 8 First First ... 2345678 Last