Page 2 of 8 First First 123456 ... Last

Thread: Essential tweaks and fixes for the PC version.

Essential tweaks and fixes for the PC version.

Disabling frame rate smoothing seems to have done the trick for me. I also updated to the AMD 14.2 drivers, so that might have also helped. Either way, thanks for this post OP.

I have the weirdest thing going on... Anti-aliasing just "doesn't" work in game???

I've got jaggies everywhere.

(Catalyst set to application settings)
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

In this game thus is night all the time i dont see any jaggies.

Originally Posted by McHermit
    Disabling frame rate smoothing seems to have done the trick for me. I also updated to the AMD 14.2 drivers, so that might have also helped. Either way, thanks for this post OP.
    Hehe, no problem, glad I could help! Enjoy the game!

Originally Posted by taff
    I have the weirdest thing going on... Anti-aliasing just "doesn't" work in game???

I've got jaggies everywhere.

(Catalyst set to application settings)
    Try disabling SSAA and even FXAA from the in-game menu and just force anti-aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center. See how that works out!
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Tweak to remove the annoying fog, just copy/pasting a post I made on TTLG

I have been playing the game off and on over the last few days and I just couldn't take the fog anymore. I tore through every bit of documentation I could find on UE3, searching for fog, draw distance, or anything that could be relevant.

My apologies, the pictures aren't exact duplicates of each other, the difference is so startling that I didn't think anyone would mind that I just gyazo ripped them.

FOG ACTIVATED:

http://gyazo.com/8f899b174dbe33c8b38f7c7976d4b390.png

FOG DEACTIVATED:

http://gyazo.com/866dc75a287e0a13f09daeee6416a5ac.png

Wow. The game is actually a decent looking game with that crap turned off.

How to deactivate fog-mode:
    Open ThiefGame.ini
    Go to [Engine.WorldInfo]

Take a look at:
    Code:
    DefaultPostProcessSettings=(mSSAO=(mbEnable=TRUE, mIntensity=1.0), mWind=(mbEnable=TRUE, mbAffectVelocity=TRUE, mVelocity=(X=25, Y=10, Z=10)), mFog=(mbEnable=TRUE, 

mbEnableOutdoor=TRUE, mbEnableColor=TRUE, mOutdoorTex1=LA_000_Core_Fog.Layer01, mOutdoorTex2=LA_000_Core_Fog.Layer01, mOutdoorTex3=LA_000_Core_Fog.Layer01, 

mLayerOpacityCurve=PROG_3D_PostProcess.FogNearPlaneDensityCurve))
    Change
    mbEnableOutdoor=TRUE, mbEnableColor=TRUE
    To FALSE

Save, mark as read-only.

Load game up.

Dont know why the game keeps on crashing still. Can someone help me?

I've got a few issues with these tweaks.

Originally Posted by Verrenus
    II. Disable framerate smoothing

V. Reduce mouse input lag

VIII. Improve texture streaming!
    #1: Framerate smoothing doesn't do anything; tweak is absolutely unneeded.

I personally tried getting smoothing to actually work, but nothing I did enabled it. (I do this to avoid input lag by capping the framerate just below my refresh rate. UE3 games have a built in capper via framerate smoothing; just set both to the same value to make it act like an FPS cap)

#2: OneFrameThreadLag is a UE3 feature and shouldn't be disabled. I will refer you to a post made by a Killing Floor developer if you want an explanation: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...25&postcount=2

Whether the case scenario for the non-fullscreen input lag is enough to warrant the tweak, well, I can't say, as I've never tested it.

#3: This will cause textures to be invisible then pop into view once they're finished loading. I don't recommend changing it to 0, but instead to lower the values to make it fade quickly.

That aside, I haven't really noticed any texture streaming in Thief, unlike most other UE3 games..

Just throwing some knowledge into the world of UE3 tweaking.

Edit: Totally forgot I just posted something else, whoops. Can a mod edit my posts together?

Holy ****.

I only disabled the first one (no idea what the color does yet), but wow, the difference is amazing. The game's a lot cleaner and so much more visually impressive, hell, even spookier. Plus, no more ugly SSAO through fog anymore.

So glad I came to the forum today.

Originally Posted by DAOWAce
    Edit: Totally forgot I just posted something else, whoops. Can a mod edit my posts together?

Holy .

I only disabled the first one (no idea what the color does yet), but wow, the difference is amazing. The game's a lot cleaner and so much more visually impressive, hell, even spookier. Plus, no more ugly SSAO through fog anymore.

So glad I came to the forum today.
    Yeah, it's probably one of the best tweaks I've ever used.

Quick question for anyone, how in the heck do you take a screenshot in game? I had to gyazo that one.

:edit:

Here's a comparison of one of the negatives of using this command, it does remove all outdoor fog that is built using this command.

http://gyazo.com/f85be7718899bde750fed5a91d2201f8.png
    With Fog

http://gyazo.com/3c08fbb4802540bcd1c0ba825c91e477.png
    Without Fog

Originally Posted by DAOWAce
    I've got a few issues with these tweaks.

#1: Framerate smoothing doesn't do anything; tweak is absolutely unneeded.

I personally tried getting smoothing to actually work, but nothing I did enabled it. (I do this to avoid input lag by capping the framerate just below my refresh rate. UE3 games have a built in capper via framerate smoothing; just set both to the same value to make it act like an FPS cap)

#2: OneFrameThreadLag is a UE3 feature and shouldn't be disabled. I will refer you to a post made by a Killing Floor developer if you want an explanation: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...25&postcount=2

Whether the case scenario for the non-fullscreen input lag is enough to warrant the tweak, well, I can't say, as I've never tested it.

#3: This will cause textures to be invisible then pop into view once they're finished loading. I don't recommend changing it to 0, but instead to lower the values to make it fade quickly.

That aside, I haven't really noticed any texture streaming in Thief, unlike most other UE3 games..

Just throwing some knowledge into the world of UE3 tweaking.
    Your input is very welcome, DAOWAce! There's always something to learn when tweaking PC games, so I will update the OP accordingly. Many thanks and if you have any other tweaks/advice to share with us, please do!

For instance, can you recommend some new values for #3?
    "When the progress of time ceases, the evil one will be pointed out for all to see."

Hi folks,

These tweaks made everything great and playable. I will try the anti-fog one as soon as I get this next showstopper bug fixed:

After I made all the tweaks in the first post, I started a new game. But each time I click Continue, the game crashes. Of course, that makes it unplayable since I cannot load a savegame. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Clearly the tweaks I made created this problem because it was able to Continue before.

Note: I do not have My Documents folder moved in any other location (which has been known to cause some strange savegame issues in the past). Actually, I cannot seem to locate where Thief saves the games. I see a folder in My Documents folder named "Thief" with .log file and a .dmp file. Is the .dmp file the savegame? If so, I actually deleted (i.e., archived) all of the files in this folder, started the game, started a new game and left the game to test my "Continue" button. No luck there either.

^ Dont use the tweaks, they are minor tweaks, u get crashes because of the streaming lines you modified.

Originally Posted by CalinTM
    ^ Dont use the tweaks, they are minor tweaks, u get crashes because of the streaming lines you modified.
    That's correct! I will remove those tweaks, as they don't provide much in terms of performance and can actually break your game until you change them back to their original values, which are:

"bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=True"
    "UsePriorityStreaming=True"
    "OnlyStreamInTextures=False"

These three lines are all found in ThiefEngine.ini.
    Originally Posted by doolezah
    After I made all the tweaks in the first post, I started a new game. But each time I click Continue, the game crashes. Of course, that makes it unplayable since I cannot load a savegame. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Clearly the tweaks I made created this problem because it was able to Continue before.
    If you could just change them and then save the file and start a new game, you should have no other problems. I'm sorry this has cost you valuable time which you could have spent playing!

Note: I do not have My Documents folder moved in any other location (which has been known to cause some strange savegame issues in the past). Actually, I cannot seem to locate where Thief saves the games. I see a folder in My Documents folder named "Thief" with .log file and a .dmp file. Is the .dmp file the savegame? If so, I actually deleted (i.e., archived) all of the files in this folder, started the game, started a new game and left the game to test my "Continue" button. No luck there either.
    THIEF saved games can be found here actually: "Steam/userdata/<user-id>/239160/remote"

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit the speed at which Garrett moves? - I would like to alter the walking, crouched and sneaking speeds. It was possible in Deadly Shadows so hoping we can do it in Thief.

Cheers

Thanks, CalinTM and especially Verrenus!

It looks like I was having a variety of other issues, but that was the source of it. I removed the Read Only on the config files, and that did not help. I turned off the Steam Cloud backup, which was why my old savegames kept reappearing, although the one to continue was always the newest game I had started.

I simply reverted the file back to its original state and the only tweak I made was to turn off the initial movies. The one trick that worked for me to get this game playable was the copy of the 32-bit version. All choppiness went away after that. I disabled the SSAA as recommended, and I believe that helped as well. While probably not necessary, I did manually edit my Windows 8 pagefile settings (it was on automatic) to a minimum of 8GB (instead of 12MB) and a maximum of 24GB.

The game does crash occasionally, now, but it is few and far between so it is at least playable in any of the manual savegame modes.

Listed below are my comp specs for those who may have similar and the settings I am using in the Thief game. It works fine with these settings for me and is quite smooth.

Thief Settings
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Fullscreen: Yes
    Exclusive Fullscreen: Yes
    Resolution: 1920x1080 (tried lower ones at first, but this works fine now)
    Refresh Rate: 60 Hz (only option for me)
    Vsync: Off

Texture Quality: Very High (tried lower settings at first, but this works perfect now)
    Shadow Quality: Low
    Depth-of-field Quality: Normal
    Texture Filtering Quality: Default
    SSAA: Off
    Screenspace Reflection: Off
    Parallax Occlusion Mapping: Off
    FXAA: Off
    Contact Hardening Shadows: Off
    Tessellation: Off

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R 1.1
    bios: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 3.16 GHz
    memory: 8 GB
    graphics card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    display driver: 334.89
    sound: Realtek High Definition Audio (onboard)

directx: DirectX 11
    page file: 2577MB used, 6829MB available (managed by Windows)
    resolution: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

steam overlay: disabled

Originally Posted by Stanton Dowd
    Does anyone know if it's possible to edit the speed at which Garrett moves? - I would like to alter the walking, crouched and sneaking speeds. It was possible in Deadly Shadows so hoping we can do it in Thief.

Cheers
    There has to be a way to change those values for sure! Just have a look in the various .ini files (maybe ThiefGame.ini?) for the lines controlling these movement speeds. If Deadly Shadows running on Unreal Engine 2 had them 10 years ago, then I would expect them to be present for THIEF, running on Unreal Engine 3, as well

Thanks, CalinTM and especially Verrenus!
    No worries, doozelah, I'm just glad you managed to get the game playable again, despite the random crashes!

I'm not sure if you were aware of this before, but THIEF is apparently very CPU hungry. That Core 2 Duo is clearly holding your machine back. I would recommend upgrading to a quad-core sometime in the near future, as it would improve your performance by a considerable margin in every other game as well, not just THIEF!

One other thing, I'm not sure what the optimal settings for Windows 8 are, but I think setting the pagefile to 8 GB is quite overkill and just takes up your disk space needlessly, especially since you already have 8 GB of RAM! I have my pagefile set to a custom 200 - 1024 MB on Windows 7 Professional (x64) and never had any issues with these values, so I would definitely recommend you change your to these values!

Originally Posted by CalinTM
    I tested with background streaming on and off, doesn't look different, only placebo.

Seems theres no tweaking to be made, the game runs slik.

Only if nixxes wants to patch the game further more regarding the stutterings, when loading new areas, and to manage better the VRAM usage, because the game sucks without any AA 2gb vram and most of GPU's runt out of vram and stutter occurs.
    Background streaming is not a placebo, did you notice longer load times with it off? thats because it preloads the entire level...

If anyone finds a way to increase Anti-aliasing, let me know. FXAA makes everything muddy and it seems like SMAA on high is only 4x if that. I have extra settings enabled for shadows and stuff in the ini and the game still runs 120fps+ aside from the odd stuttering (cant disable streaming as I don't want to start a new game) need more Anti Aliasing!

Thanks for IV. Fix the "Timed Fade" option for the in-game HUD! Works great and this is what I needed.

+1

Originally Posted by pwyll
    Thanks for IV. Fix the "Timed Fade" option for the in-game HUD! Works great and this is what I needed.

Originally Posted by pwyll
    Originally Posted by Olivir2013
    +1
    No worries, I'm glad you're enjoying the game as it's meant to be played!

Originally Posted by Verrenus
    Try disabling SSAA and even FXAA from the in-game menu and just force anti-aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center. See how that works out!
    I've never had SSAA on as it KILLS your fps

FXAA is on and the anti aliasing slider does nothing. I have everything in my driver set to application settings, I have tried hard setting stuff in the catalyst driver, makes no difference??? Haven't played much with FXAA off, but that setting should have been ignored when I tried the "hard set" in the driver settings

I am 99.9999999% convinced there is "something" awry with the 64bit version of this game, it's NOT "just" hardware problems as evidenced by the number of people running insane hardware specs getting frame drops to single digits (???)

Edit: I'm gonna try this tonight: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=142013 and this http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141959
    Thief 5 creation instructions: Play thief 2, play again, pay UDK4 or idTech 6 licence, employ engine programmers who are able to code jumping physics, listen to fans not ubisoft

Originally Posted by taff
    I am 99.9999999% convinced there is "something" awry with the 64bit version of this game, it's NOT "just" hardware problems as evidenced by the number of people running insane hardware specs getting frame drops to single digits (???)
    There are clearly problems with the 64-bit version, that's why the number 1 fix is to simply use the 32-bit version until Nixxes release a patch to fix the former!

"Using the 32bit version of Thief can help eliminate stuttering and other performance-related issues. Go to: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Thief\Binaries and RENAME the "Win64" folder to whatever you want e.g. "Win64Backup". Then COPY the "Win32" folder, so it should be "Win32 - Copy" and then RENAME the "Win32 - Copy" folder to "Win64"" - What is the point of doing a Win32 - copy when you are already renaming it to Win64

Can anybody please explain this to me if you can, thank you

Originally Posted by VORTEXWARE
    What is the point of doing a Win32 - copy when you are already renaming it to Win64

Can anybody please explain this to me if you can, thank you
    The idea is to circumvent two things:

- the error message that would pop-up telling you there's already a "Win64" folder in "Binaries" and that you need to choose a different name

- messing up the original "Win32" folder and/or its contents and then requiring a Steam game cache verification of all of the game files just to reset those two folders to their default once again

Page 2 of 8 First First 123456 ... Last