Thread: Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

Fan/player reviews - reactions (Spoilerific)

So I got Thief yesterday and have only played the intro and the first portion of lockdown. So far I am enjoying the atmosphere and the stealth gameplay. I am currently playing the game as it came but without focus mode on.

I got to Garrett's tower and got my score of mostly Ghost and some opportunist. I am not sure what opportunist covers in way of gameplay but I have enjoyed ghosting an area and not getting caught. I have decided to just play initially for the story and experience and then for the ghosting challenge applying all mods in the custom menu at a later date.

So far I am enjoying it and it just goes to show that even if the reviews are not great that you can still enjoy a game based on your own personal opinions. It is fun and tense as you try to steal a guards purse only to get caught mid way through. Further opinions to follow based on the story.

Good game thus far!

Originally Posted by Astro
    Not very good doesn't mean "bad", it means not very good.
    I know. I just wanted to make my point clear.

I've played through about half of the game. It's not bad. It takes more from TDS than any other game in the series, but that was expected. Overall, I'm enjoying it.

This cannot be stated too often though: Why, EM, did you throw out the old Thief lore and replace it with this bland, overdone story? Did you believe the old lore was too complex for the target audience to comprehend? I understand marketing is all about the lowest common denominator, but isn't there a point where a game designer feels shame in regurgitating the same story structure of every other game within a stone's throw of the genre?

Oh, and replacing Stephen Russell was brilliant. Clearly, the excuse about the physical acting was entirely valid, because that made all the difference. </sarcasm> The voice acting is middling enough to be passable, but Russell would have brought more consistency to this installment. The full-body acting excuse was terribly lame, considering the obvious limitations of the tech -- and it's mostly a first-person game. What's the truth? Did you throw him away because some officious pinhead decided one gravelly voice was just like the other? But I digress. Sorry about that.

Like I said, it's not a bad game (in spite of my criticism). But it could have been much better than "not bad" if EM hadn't been so hot to undo all that had come before and put their fingerprints all over a new franchise installment. Some marketing genius thought that recreating Thief into "whatever the kids are playing today" was the way to go.

Thief was popular because it innovated and had an engaging atmosphere. The stealth genre is no longer new -- so little innovation can be done there. But a good story is what keeps old genres alive and a bland story can kill them. Even Diablo 3 took serious knocks on its crappy story, in a genre not known for deep stories.

EM, if you continue with this franchise, don't throw away lore of the previous three games and churn out another flaccid story. Either hire a better writer or give your current writer more freedom to make a more complex cast of characters and dynamic tale.

This is a reaction, not a review. I don't have infinite funds to buy games before knowing what they're like, and have to base my decisions on gamers smarter than me to inform me about a game. I place great weight on places like IGN and Kotaku.

Given the reception of Thief, I cancelled my pre-order. It's as simple as that.

One day, maybe for a Steam Summer Sale, I'll pick it up. But funds are tight, life is busy, and South Park: The Stick of Truth comes out in less than a week. I have no interest right now in a Thief game as flawed as is being reported.

Color me disappointed, LWK out.

I'm enjoying the game, but I also cannot understand the jettisoning of the lore. No Hammers, Pagans, Keepers? That's basically outrageous for a Thief title. It makes me wonder why they wanted this franchise if all they were going to keep was Garrett (sort of) and thieving/stealth gameplay. It would be like making another Fallout game, but jettisoning the super mutants, ghouls and Brotherhood of Steel.

EM obviously wanted to push a convoluted awful story into the franchise. Then the Hammerites and Pagans had to go.

I have one question, if there are no Keepers, does the game even mention why

Originally Posted by Cody Strife
    2nd, the story is simply not the intellectual marvel that dictated the original trilogy, the struggle between order and chaos, and the hands that try to manipulate both in secrecy. It was genuinely well thought out and cohesive.

<snip>

To finish, as I relunctanctly complete the third mission,
    I pulled those two bits because, c'mon, the story in all three previous Thief games slowly evolved over the course of those games. If you were only on the third mission, you wouldn't even really know what the story was yet in any of the three previous games. So, maybe actually complete the game before bashing the story.

This game also really does make it seem like the developers weren't fans of the original games at all. The only reference to taffer is to say that it sounds stupid. I guess they wanted to fill the game with f-bombs. As if the original trilogy would have been so much better if it just had lots of f-words.

Originally Posted by ClashWho
    This game also really does make it seem like the developers weren't fans of the original games at all. The only reference to taffer is to say that it sounds stupid. I guess they wanted to fill the game with f-bombs. As if the original trilogy would have been so much better if it just had lots of f-words.
    I saw one stream where a woman referred to 'taffers', after leaving Basso for the first time.

I remember Stephen Gallagher saying that this game would have a whole new idiosyncratic dialog. The only new thing I've noticed is the word 'sloop', which I imagine refers to a steaming pile of cetus amicus.

Thing is, there's no wry, tongue-in-cheek undertone to the delivery, so it comes off as them just talking gibberish. I sometimes wonder if had Thief 1 not set off a strong precedent with the bear pits dialog, the word 'taffer' might have been more disorientating for players to get used to...

Originally Posted by Viktoria
    Not much longer to wait now for us Europeans. Dammit, the wait is hard.

I am curious to see what the game is really like - how it plays... how it feels.
    The reviews and scores have me totally confused as they are so mixed with plenty in the good camp, the bad camp and the in-between camp. There seems to be no decisive lean one way or the other. Crazy.
    In all honesty.... after so many years of waiting, its going to be a relief to finally play it and 'know' it. Good or bad... I'll let you know.
    Why have different launch dates? Do we in the UK speak a totally different language to the Americans or something? This is something that has annoyed me for years, Britain is always last to get anything.
    A bird in the hand is... Lunch tonight.

Lazy, juvenile writing coming from the angle that frequent use of the most powerful swear word somehow will make it "serious" and "adult." Like a 13-year-old sporting a wispy mustache because he thinks it makes him look grown up. It's really just sad.

Originally Posted by LightWarriorK
    This is a reaction, not a review. I don't have infinite funds to buy games before knowing what they're like, and have to base my decisions on gamers smarter than me to inform me about a game. I place great weight on places like IGN and Kotaku.

Given the reception of Thief, I cancelled my pre-order. It's as simple as that.

One day, maybe for a Steam Summer Sale, I'll pick it up. But funds are tight, life is busy, and South Park: The Stick of Truth comes out in less than a week. I have no interest right now in a Thief game as flawed as is being reported.

Color me disappointed, LWK out.
    People who write their own "reviews" here are not professional gaming journalists, so don't be surprised. Gamer review =/= professional review. Simple. I don't know what you expected from a fan "review/reaction" thread.

Originally Posted by Triangletooth
    I have one question, if there are no Keepers, does the game even mention why
    The answer is simple: no and no.

My gut feeling is that all the references are 'just there'.

FORGET THE GLOOM! IF I CATCH THE FOUNDARY MAN'S DROOP! FORGET THE GLOOM! IF I CATCH THE FOUNDARY MAN'S DROOP! FORGET THE GLOOM! IF I CATCH THE FOUNDARY MAN'S DROOP! FORGET THE GLOOM! IF I CATCH THE FOUNDARY MAN'S DROOP!

Originally Posted by Binge_Eating
    FORGET THE GLOOM! IF I CATCH THE FOUNDARY MAN'S DROOP! FORGET THE GLOOM! IF I CATCH THE FOUNDARY MAN'S DROOP! FORGET THE GLOOM! IF I CATCH THE FOUNDARY MAN'S DROOP! FORGET THE GLOOM! IF I CATCH THE FOUNDARY MAN'S DROOP!
    The most embarrassing thing about this game is when two characters repeat the same two lines of dialogue to each other over and over and over and over and over again. And I mean literally embarrassing, because I have roommates.

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    The answer is simple: no and no.
    Thanks, that's really weird and kinda bad though. Even if there had been no original Thief games you really shouldn't introduce something like that and not give even the slightest explanation (at the very least Garrett should comment on it). To people who've never played Thief it's gonna seem weird to have this
    introduced and never referenced again.

Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    The point is the game isn't trying to be the original two games, slag the game off all you want for how it plays, but no one should act like they were on the dev team and knew what the final product was aiming for.
    That's what I'm talking about.

Player 1: Its not old Thief so its bad.
    Player 2: Its not trying to be old Thief, so that justifies it.
    IHaveReturned: Then not trying to be old Thief is what makes it bad. Nothing has changed. All is as it was written... ...LGS is dead. Beware the dawn of Square Enix.

Or Basso mumbling how glad he is not to have a sister, cause surely she would have fallen for a bad man like Garrett. EM will have to excuse me for seeing that not as a nod to the originals, but as pure face-rubbing spite.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

What Thief does right makes it worth playing... but missed opportunities and small bugs hurt the overall gaming experience.

The Good: The stealth and thievery gameplay is spot on! Lots of missions and side missions to do. The side missions is where Thief really shines, as they best embody the classic Thief playing experience. The City is dark and foreboding with many nooks and crannies to explore and loot.

The not so good: The City hub has dozens of transitions that connect one part of the City to another while other transitions lead into interiors making for one confusing jumbled mess that is very difficult to navigate. The story is not the lest bit compelling and is utterly forgettable. The obligatory horror themed level was a departure from Thief's greatest strength... breaking into a home, taking out or avoiding the guards, and cleaning the place out! One level has you running through an inferno while everything collapses around you... again stepping away from what makes Thief great... B&E, knocking out guard, cleaning out the place!

The Bad: The audio engineers did a poor job. Disembodied dialog... overlapping dialog... repeating dialog... uneven dialog volume that can make it a chore to hear what is being said.

My Verdict: Thief is a good game but held back by some serious level design and audio issues... and that's the problem... Thief should have been a great game but the developers dropped the ball. I expected better from the developer that made the reboot of Deus Ex. But as a fan of the series I was able to overlook the flaws and have some good fun and a few truly epic moments!

I give it a generous 7/10

Originally Posted by robini123
    What Thief does right makes it worth playing... but missed opportunities and small bugs hurt the overall gaming experience.

The Good: The stealth and thievery gameplay is spot on! Lots of missions and side missions to do. The side missions is where Thief really shines, as they best embody the classic Thief playing experience. The City is dark and foreboding with many nooks and crannies to explore and loot.

The not so good: The City hub has dozens of transitions that connect one part of the City to another while other transitions lead into interiors making for one confusing jumbled mess that is very difficult to navigate. The story is not the lest bit compelling and is utterly forgettable. The obligatory horror themed level was a departure from Thief's greatest strength... breaking into a home, taking out or avoiding the guards, and cleaning the place out! One level has you running through an inferno while everything collapses around you... again stepping away from what makes Thief great... B&E, knocking out guard, cleaning out the place!

The Bad: The audio engineers did a poor job. Disembodied dialog... overlapping dialog... repeating dialog... uneven dialog volume that can make it a chore to hear what is being said.

My Verdict: Thief is a good game but held back by some serious level design and audio issues... and that's the problem... Thief should have been a great game but the developers dropped the ball. I expected better from the developer that made the reboot of Deus Ex. But as a fan of the series I was able to overlook the flaws and have some good fun and a few truly epic moments!

I give it a generous 7/10
    I agree on this, but I have to add some additional criticism (for my personal opinion/review):

- Restrictiveness of gameplay breaks the immersion of full-boy immersion, especially in the case of not being able to free jump or shoot rope arrows where I want
    - Multiple paths are sometimes here, but very scarce and very obvious, lots of "points of no return" which eliminate backtracking
    - Not enough "openness" in the mission or on the map itself
    - Supposedly climbable objects are not climbable. You can only climb where the developers want you to
    - The rooftops are rarely used, and if they are used there are no enemies threatening you there
    - The houses are often empty, without the threat of an NPC walking in the room (which basically kills all the tension) and catching you stealing, and civilians are rarely on the streets.

As for the good, the guy I quoted said it all.

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    Yeah, a valid point, but since in this regard it is very similar to the original series which we all know is a hardcore stealth game, I have no problem with it: it gives you the option to evade attacks and run, but does not allow you to act as fighter... though I miss the dagger (since it gives you the opportunity to become a true silent predator).
    I wouldn't even mind people and Garrett looking down on killing or combat, that's okay.

What I am not okay with is that you give me a fighting system but you don'T make it at least "okay".

I don't want to jump around and kill people Dishonored style, but I want to be able to actually dodge AND block the attacks of my enemies and be able to take on 2-3 enemies in a manner that I barely come out alive.

If you make such a bad fighting system, you might have as well just excluded it altogether.

I'm normally a Ghost player, but I tell you what.

It definitely adds variety, it reduces frustration and I can understand people don'T liking that it is how it is in this game.

I'm turning navigation and interaction prompts on and off because The City streets are stupidly unintuitive and the controls are overcomplicated so even if I find the correct route I might not realize how I'm supposed to interact with it at the time. Do I hold L2 like the game has taught me? Do I press square? Oh, I hold Square? Okay. Yes, I realize it plays into the awful story that even the apologists of the game cringe at. No, I don't think it's therefore justified. Almost everything in this game is made frustrating due to poor execution, but I, for one, don't think it would be a good game even if it were executed well because it would still be a hodgepodge of stupid ideas.

Hearing the f-word in the game makes me uncomfortable. It just doesn't belong, and reeks of a juvenile mind-set.

Hearing a conversation about c*ck rings is painfully cringe inducing. How would this seem like a good idea in ANY game? It is exceedingly awkward and out of place. I think many of the problems of this game are mistakes from people who made misjudgements. That said, I think the person responsible for writing this dialog, and the person who approved it, should seriously re-evaluate their career choice. This dialog is the gaming equivalent of the first episode of a new season of American Idol where all the crazies come out to insist they can sing.

Rihanna Pratchet worked on the writing in if that says anything.

Anyway, I agree. The swearing really feels out of place and childish, and most of the dialogue seems too simplistic for an elementary school play. Also, the voice acting is some of the laziest I've heard in a while. I'm actually glad SR wasn't involved with this project.

Page 3 of 30 First First 123456713 ... Last