Page 37 of 37 First First ... 273334353637

Thread: REVIEWS & SCORES - Critical Reception for Thief

REVIEWS & SCORES - Critical Reception for Thief

Originally Posted by Bukary
    Here's one of the best Thief reviews:

That review actually surprised me. For some reason I wasn't expecting something so coherent and fair.

Props to that guy.
    You can hide, but you can't run.

I made a small list of things I liked/disliked while playing through Thief, I´ll try to keep it as short as possible, maybe it helps

Good:
    - The "swoosh" move. One of the things I´d love to have in the old parts
    - Pickpocketing people is great
    - AI details like: "Guards are alerted if you knock over things like vases" or "If you bump into a guard from behind, he shrieks and drops his torch". Nice detail!
    - Graphics, Atmosphere: very well done!
    - People realize sudden darkness/open doors
    - Keyhole spying, which is actually pretty useful

Bad:
    - No free jumping. Jumping feels like riding a bike with training wheels
    - If I burgle into a house by opening a window, why do I have to break out again of it? Are there some ghosts who just lock every window behind my back?
    - Stealing spoons, forks and syringes? My brother said "Masterthief? Looks more like some kind of desperate crack-junkie to me. Is he guessing the value of the things in gold or in jolts"?

- I really miss those hand-drawn cutscenes.

- The shady "I don´t give a damn"-loner Garret who builds his success on good planning is now a worrying, insecure, tame dog who cares about politics and "his" city and says "I have a plan. Go in and improvise"? He mostly accepts "orders" than thinking for himself.
    - Blackjacking people is always a finisher animation? I don´t want to finish them in style, I just wanna quickly make them sleep and then continue (also, why couldn´t I blackjack those monsters? I mean, they also used to be humen...)
    - Were these climbing parts really necessary? They more looked like an idea of some co-worker who said "oh yes, we NEED 3rd-person-climbing passages!"

- The game often felt like moving from a small cutscene to the next small cutscene, because there were so many animations where I lost control over my character, for example:

- stealing, blowing out candles, looking at some special loot, opening/closing doors, moving between boxes...these animations take so much time and start to get a bit annoying pretty soon. Nice ideas, but it´s sooo sloooowing down the game and destroying the "game flow" (for me at least :I stealing felt like moving from "steal animation" to "steal animation" ) [BUT: it fits well when it comes toa slow thing like "open valve" or "break open door/chest"]
    - Why glue yourself to a corner when peeking? Why not just two buttons for "lean left" and "lean right"? Again I sorta loose control of my character.
    - Why don´t you automatically take everything of a chest you just broke open? Would somebody ever break open a chest and then leave it? x)

Thank you for reading, sorry if something already has been pointed out in posts of other people. A decent game, but more a sequel to thief3, which also was just...nice. Still, good work, people I had some fun with it

Originally Posted by Saint Edgar
    - Pickpocketing people is great
    Automated following your target and "downloading loot" icon is not great imo.

- People realize sudden darkness/open doors
    But don't give a taff if it happened while they are away. TDS handled it better.

- Why glue yourself to a corner when peeking? Why not just two buttons for "lean left" and "lean right"?
    Moreover, regaining control from leaning mode is painfully slow unless you swoop away, which defeats the whole purpose of leaning. Same mistake as in TDS.

- Why don´t you automatically take everything of a chest you just broke open? Would somebody ever break open a chest and then leave it? x)
    Well, for one, no thief ever did anything like that automatically (EDIT: Correction to self, T1 and 2 did), they were all about the "do it yourself" kind of thing. That doesn't mean this one couldn't have done it (and after watching 100 obnoxious grabbing animations I really understand why you'd want that), but having to do it manually might have been, in the past, a way to sometimes have to do it in intervals when you didn't blackjack a guard that only looks away from the chest for a brief instant once in a while.

In practice I don't remember something like that ever happening (except in the dark mod), but I always preferred it that way, anyway. Though, again, I don't know if I'd still prefer that this time, but it probably is one of the few things they kept in the way of an actual thief game...

Originally Posted by Skaruts
    Well, for one, no thief ever did anything like that automatically, they were all about the "do it yourself" kind of thing
    Erm… that vase in Bafford's cellar…

Originally Posted by DJ Riff
    Erm… that vase in Bafford's cellar…
    Can't remember that. It's been so long since I last played the actual Thief...

But now that I think about it again, I think I was wrong. Thief 1 and 2... or at least thief 1, did indeed do chest looting automatically.

- stealing, blowing out candles, looking at some special loot, opening/closing doors, moving between boxes...these animations take so much time and start to get a bit annoying pretty soon. Nice ideas, but it´s sooo sloooowing down the game and destroying the "game flow"
    I thought about this again and the animations are actually quite fast. What makes them feel slow is the fact that you can´t move in the meantime. I wonder if it´s technically possible if you can make the player move while stealing, blowing out candles etc...just a little detail but I think it would help the overall gameflow

But don't give a taff if it happened while they are away.
    Why should they? Could also been a fellow guard. They would think "hm, weird." but not get super nervous and start to look around. On the other hand, observing a door getting opened...

It doesn´t sound that great when spoken that way, true but a simple click like in thief1,2 would also be too easy. Nevertheless, any better ideas than "downloading loot" for pickpocketing?

Why should they? Could also been a fellow guard. They would think "hm, weird." but not get super nervous and start to look around. On the other hand, observing a door getting opened...
    It's the kind of thing I would expect from a game made 20 years after the genesis of the genre. Intelligent and intuitive AI and mechanics, etc.But gaming companies have only been spending all these years making games pretty and fine-tuning physics... (and stupid screen effects)

Nevertheless, any better ideas than "downloading loot" for pickpocketing?
    Not having the downloading icon, and having only the slight wait time and the hand animation. I suspect the icon is what turns people off, mostly. At least for me it is, as are all other icons.

Originally Posted by DJ Riff
    Looks like Garrett should have gone with broadband rather than dial-up for his downloads .

kukugames Thief Review

I thought about this again and the animations are actually quite fast. What makes them feel slow is the fact that you can´t move in the meantime.
    I was just playing the Bank Heist (for the third time, finally got all the loot), and you can definitely move while Garrett is admiring the special loot.

Originally Posted by turnbasedtheft
    Ummm... wow. I like the game a lot, and even I think that review is too positive. I disagree that its replay value is negative, though. But no negatives for sound? What game were they playing???

Originally Posted by ClashWho
    Ummm... wow. I like the game a lot, and even I think that review is too positive. I disagree that its replay value is negative, though. But no negatives for sound? What game were they playing???
    Well, that review isn't really a review, but rather just an enumeration of pros and cons.

But, yes, it's pretty much one-sided. Animations mentioned as a positive and no mention of Erin's apparent broken neck, sound as you mentioned is just ignored. At least those I noticed in a cursory look. I do agree with some positives and negatives mentioned (though I find Garrett's face hideously textured), but it still seems as though they were just focusing on finding the good parts of it.

Not sure if this one has been posted, yet. Another very positive review of Thief:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKAZyb07qtA

Certainly didn't take long for the five entire people who enjoyed this game to slave away at the great big grindstone called 'revisionism'.
    signature image

According to that review the sound is great, story is right up there with the old games, and the whole is faithful to the franchise.

Hey, if that is what the reviewer has to claim to give it a good score, then that's what he's gotta do.
    "The chief problem is that once you take the name of a beloved franchise, you're assuming responsibility for upholding its legacy". -AusGamers Thief review

Originally Posted by xAcerbusx
    Certainly didn't take long for the five entire people who enjoyed this game to slave away at the great big grindstone called 'revisionism'.
    Why are you so mad because there are people who like this game? You know this phenomenon does exist: different people like and prefer different things and people have different opinions about the very same thing. No big deal.

Originally Posted by ClashWho
    Yeah, this review is a bit...well, how to put it... unreliable.

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    Why are you so mad because there are people who like this game?
    I'm personally frustrated at the acceptance of this game because it could ruin any future Thief titles. If people accept mediocrity then that's what they'll get.
    If EM, or any other development team, are to continue with the series, then they need to not only drastically change & improve what was done with nuThief, but have a better understanding of the Thief world and mechanics.

I really can't figure out why the people who truly love the original Thief trilogy can hold this game in any regard, (as a Thief game).
    Well, maybe our reasons for liking the originals is alot more varied than I realised.

Nevertheless, any better ideas than "downloading loot" for pickpocketing?
    Make Garrett stretch his hand and make the player's task to maintain the distance and direction while Garrett fiddles with whatever is needed to grab the purse.

Originally Posted by NightStorm
    I'm personally frustrated at the acceptance of this game because it could ruin any future Thief titles. If people accept mediocrity then that's what they'll get.
    If EM, or any other development team, are to continue with the series, then they need to not only drastically change & improve what was done with nuThief, but have a better understanding of the Thief world and mechanics.

I really can't figure out why the people who truly love the original Thief trilogy can hold this game in any regard, (as a Thief game).
    Well, maybe our reasons for liking the originals is alot more varied than I realised.
    It's totally ok to dislike the game, but its totally not ok to dislike or be antagonistic and arrogant with those who do like it. Or should I hate and insult you for not liking what I do? No, I don't think so. But I know that you understand this, since you seem to be a quite intelligent person.

As for the rest of your argument. With been there and done that a few times actually. Yeah, Thief could mean different things to different people. One old Thief fan could dislike the very thing you admire the old games for. It's totally possible.

Also different people have different perspective and thoughts on the same thing and may have different levels of emotional attachment to it too. It's a matter of taste, mindset, perspective, personality, preferences etc. etc. etc. And I respect these differences. I've seen guys praising Thief's story while I found it pretty meh, but I will not go to them and demand an answer from them. They like it, good for them and I'm happy for them even if I can't enjoy it myself as much. The only thing I can do is write my own take on the subject in matter and try to be as constructive about it as I can. I'm not too big on hating on things or being butthurt about them. If I dislike something very much, I tend to ignore it and move on, but I don't say that others should do the same. It's just me. But I don't like it when people call out on others in an antagonistic or lecturing manner just because they dare to have a different perspective on things. I just find it childish and butthurt. Debating is fine, insulting is lame.

Liking the game isn't revisionism. And plenty of us do like it.

Originally Posted by IHaveReturned
    According to that review the sound is great, story is right up there with the old games, and the whole is faithful to the franchise.

Hey, if that is what the reviewer has to claim to give it a good score, then that's what he's gotta do.
    I think he gave it a good score because he liked it.

Originally Posted by GimmeDaGun
    its totally not ok to dislike or be antagonistic and arrogant with those who do like it.
    GimmeDaGun - I gather from your response that you thought my post was directed at you. Apologies if you thought I was questioning you personally, I was generalizing. I was just quoting you in my reply.

I also hope I've not be antagonistic. I just don't feel EM deserve any praise and yes, it can be annoying when those of us who dislike this game feel that we can't vent our frustrations without feeling that we're being disrespectful to people.

I know I've put alot of hate in this game, which to me is justified after what EM produced after all these years. I still stand by my point that this wasn't a 'Thief' game in any way. If a new CallOfDuty had a character called Garrett who could steal, had Keeper and Hammerite symbols jotted around the place, would people BELIEVE it's Thief? Clearly not. Just because we were told nuThief is set in the same world, doesn't make it so when you leave out what made the originals work and what is at it's heart.

We have a bit of a quandary though. Thief is basically a niche title. If they make if for the purists then it won't be a big seller. If they dumb it down to draw in the modern gamer, (which they did), then it won't sell big either.
    Maybe it comes down to a developer making the game in future not as a AAA title, so running costs are kept at a reasonable level and they can have more artistic and development freedom.

In real life I'm a very mild mannered and chilled person, but coming here I always feel so negative. I don't normally participate in forums and I don't want to be one of those people who just wants to rant and hate for the sake of it. So I'll leave it be.

I'll just say one more thing. Thief will never be a game for mass appeal or be hugely profitable. It is what it is. I'm prepared to let the series go now so the originals can be remembered for what they were.

Hopefully next time Thief fans will get what they've hoped for.

Originally Posted by NightStorm
    Hopefully next time Thief fans will get what they've hoped for.
    The fans are very good at creating their own content anyway, so even if EM or another company never releases another full on Thief game, at least we still have FM's being made for Thief 1,2,3 and The Dark Mod. Lots of quality FM's to choose from.

Latest article, "My Top Games Of 2014", from Gameinformer, fyi:

http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/ed...s-of-2014.aspx
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Page 37 of 37 First First ... 273334353637