Page 2 of 37 First First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: REVIEWS & SCORES - Critical Reception for Thief

REVIEWS & SCORES - Critical Reception for Thief

Originally Posted by bjshepp
    while gems like Alice Madness Returns get bashed by critics,
    Ugh, game was so repetitive; tons of style, but no substance. Although perhaps playing on nightmare on the first try had something to do with it. From leaked trailers it looked like tons of good content was cut by EA, and it could have been something special after all...

I played on normal difficulty. Didn't think it was anymore repetitive than any other platformer I've played. Controls were solid, the the environments were varied and ridiculous(in a good way) art style was great, and the combat was satisfying with a wide variety of weapons. And it was pretty lengthy. Can't really say the same about some other overhyped games that were released this gen.

Alice Madness returns is anything but a gem in my opinion. Superb art but horribly repetitive gameplay.
    I really loved the story though, surprisingly mature.

A solid 6/10, little else.

I think Thief will average 80-85 on Metacritic. I'm expecting a very good game, but not exactly a "classic".
    I hope it does well so we can have a next-gen only Thief.
    The IP has so much potential, I'd hate to see it dead and buried for good.

Originally Posted by Irina
    Alice Madness returns is anything but a gem in my opinion. Superb art but horribly repetitive gameplay.
    I really loved the story though, surprisingly mature.

A solid 6/10, little else.

I think Thief will average 80-85 on Metacritic. I'm expecting a very good game, but not exactly a "classic".
    I hope it does well so we can have a next-gen only Thief.
    The IP has so much potential, I'd hate to see it dead and buried for good.
    The IP does have a lot of potential but then again I wouldn't want to see it overused like Call of Duty.
    signature image
    I am the shadow on the wall.

Originally Posted by drunken taffer
    The IP does have a lot of potential but then again I wouldn't want to see it overused like Call of Duty.
    Better be it overused than unused...

bro i like call of duty and i would like to see more awesome games im tired of waiting for years for a sequel seriously duke nukem forever was in development for years id rather enjoy a short game each year than wait for 3 years for each game

Lots of "oldies" on this board have already made up their minds that Thief is going to suck anyway.

I'd consider 90/100 a pretty good score?
    Dwight Schrute: Every weekend I volunteer at the local animal shelter and they need a lot of help down there. Last Sunday I had to put down a hundred and fifty pets by myself.

Originally Posted by janiashvili
    Better be it abused than unused...
    I'm gonna change overused to "abused". So this can include ty design as well. Lets say they butcher Thief entirely, make it a multiplayer first person bow shooter, and release it every year.

This is just an exaggerated example to show you that it can sometimes be better when a beloved franchise is left in the ground. If a developer takes on an IP they have a duty to be true to it, unless it's garbage. EM have tried, and done quite well, but have intentionally done bad things to it too in the name of money, unless they genuinely believe the contextual nonsense is good design..

Originally Posted by ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
    Lots of "oldies" on this board have already made up their minds that Thief is going to suck anyway.
    I'm not old!

Looks like it will be alright, perhaps even great, but unfortunately it will definitely not meet it's full potential as a modern Thief game, or an Immersive Sim if you prefer.

Originally Posted by bjshepp
    Where ya been brethren?

Yeah. I realize it's just another persons opinion. But, the difference is, they don't have to pay the price of admission to play the games they review, and they're paid to give their opinion. That's why I called them "professional" because it's an actual job.
    Though I would argue that presenting their opinion as a meaningless arbitrary classification that subtly blankets its implicit subjectivity is rather misleading and unprofessional.

Replace 90/100 by "highly recommended" and you suddenly have something meaningful, less arbitrary, and more transparent in its implicit subjectivity. And not misleading, they just feel like they recommend it.
    You can hide, but you can't run.

They use scores because people like to quantify things, even if they are unquantifiable, like an opinion. I guarantee you, on IGN, 99% of people don't read the review and instead scroll down to see the score the game has been given.

I'm pretty sure that Thief will get excelent scores, 85+ average on Metacritic is almost guaranteed.

Originally Posted by knox140
    They use scores because people like to quantify things, even if they are unquantifiable, like an opinion. I guarantee you, on IGN, 99% of people don't read the review and instead scroll down to see the score the game has been given.
    Therein lies one of the problems.
    You can hide, but you can't run.

Originally Posted by janiashvili
    Better be it overused than unused...
    Not exactly,think about that a Thief game every year sounds great now.But in reality it's not it would lose it's potential and dare I say it get repetitive.
    signature image

Originally Posted by zwanzig_zwoelf
    bro i like call of duty and i would like to see more awesome games im tired of waiting for years for a sequel seriously duke nukem forever was in development for years id rather enjoy a short game each year than wait for 3 years for each game
    I like Call of Duty as well been playing since the first one.But I really feel that it's know lost it and is just the same thing every time.
    signature image

Originally Posted by brethren
    I think people treat reviews like some panel of experts collaborated and came up with a final judgement about how good a game is.
    I agree wholeheartedly, and I would like to think that everyone here takes each and every review with a grain of salt. Only the ones that mention very specific things about the game are much help, and all reviews only do so much to influence our final opinion, which should always be made by finally playing the game itself.

And since some other people have mentioned it... It really grinds my gears when reviewers give a game a "score" review and little else. It's a game, not a school assignment.

Just remember - Deadly Shadows has an 85 on Metacritic, and Bioshock Infintie has a 94. Both were very average games at best. Reviews (even cumulative ones) mean absolutely nothing.
    "I can see only one good thing coming from a Thief 4. Mark my words on this one. It will make people love Deadly Shadows." -Digital Nightfall (4/4/2008)

Originally Posted by brethren
    Just remember - Deadly Shadows has an 85 on Metacritic, and Bioshock Infintie has a 94. Both were very average games at best. Reviews (even cumulative ones) mean absolutely nothing.
    Deadly Shadows is only average if compared to T1 and T2. It is a masterpiece when compared to, say, Assassin's Creed (any of them).

The Bioshock discussion has been moved to the "OTHER GAMES" thread.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

My fantastic thread title has also been changed. I spent like 5 seconds thinking that up

Originally Posted by knox140
    My fantastic thread title has also been changed. I spent like 5 seconds thinking that up
    Spare another 5 seconds to repeat it?

Took me six seconds to come up with that one. Obviously I put more thought into it.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Birthday present from my moms friend was her buying Thief (I didn't have to get that)for me guys!..Pre ordered at Gamestop!!!

Whether a game is average/awesome/crappy/whatever still largely depends on the player. Reviews are fun to see how other people felt about a game, but I guess they're not important to me as a consumer, because I know my tastes and they don't always fit with what others like.

https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/435896322567061504

When moving around in a game world is a chore, it's so rare that any other element can swoop to the rescue.
    Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot.

Originally Posted by Mr. Tibbs
    Any proof that his comment is in any way related to Thief?
    Also, VanOrd isn't most reliable of reviewers, his texts are often HIGHLY opinionated.

Page 2 of 37 First First 12345612 ... Last